something different from MAIL

aicul

Registered
Ok, I have just had enough with apple MAIL, this application is surely fantastic but it is not designed for my needs.

Anyone uses something different to download, read and answer mails. Nothing else.

I have used Mail to download, read, and answer email since 2001. What exactly are so different different about your needs?

MisterMe - the reason for my thread was to find an alternative, not to discuss the features of Mail. Sorry if this is a "harsh" reply, but for me Mail is ... Out. But I do appreciate your positive intentions.

Symphonix - thanks for the advice, I will look into this.

I think what MisterMe was getting at was that you were very vague about what features of Mail turned you off so that we could have a better idea of what you're looking for in an email program.

If you just want a list of other email programs, Google can do that for you right now so you don't have to wait for people here to reply one-by-one:

http://www.google.com/search?q=mac+...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

There's Thunderbird, Eudora, Entourage, the command-line "mail" program, ... the list goes on and on. If you could be more specific about what's important to you (the "look and feel" of the program, certain features you can't live without, etc.) in an email client, we can better give you some recommendations... but as it stands, you haven't been specific, so all we can do is list email programs off the top of our head -- something that Google and/or versiontracker.com can do much more quickly and easily.

I think what MisterMe was getting at was that you were very vague about what features of Mail turned you off so that we could have a better idea of what you're looking for in an email program.

Just what I wrote

download, read and answer mails

What it basically comes down to is that MAIL does too much, I travel and connect to multiple networks, often very weak, so an application developped to be nearly constantly connected that does magic with RSS is not what I need.

Just get the mail, let me answer, send ... simple.

You can set up Apple Mail to do exactly that and only that. No RSS bullhockey, no constant checking for messages, no "magic." If you'd like help with the specific settings that turn that stuff off, we'd be glad to point you in that direction.

You can also set up any of the other aforementioned email clients to do exactly that and only that.

I think the thing is finding the settings that you need to turn off in order to make your email client behave like you want it to behave -- I don't think it's a matter of finding a whole new email client, although you're free to do that if you like.

I don't think that is exactly true.

Now, I did not intend this thread to be an analysis of how I "potentially" am not using MAIL correctly.

I am looking for alternatives.

(in psychoanalysis mode, eh?) - "so, why do you feel that you might be using Mail 'incorrectly' and what does the word 'incorrectly' mean to you, and why do you feel it is important that you use Mail 'correctly' - whatever that is?"

No, I think folks here were just trying to steer you in the direction of alternates (and there's plenty of those) - and it helps to know how you are dis-satisfied with your present software. Many folks don't notice that unneeded 'features' can often be easily turned off, if desired. There's no implication that you might be using your Mail software 'incorrectly'

And again, all alternatives have been discussed here (Google "Mac OS X Mail program" and you get the whole list of alternatives), but without knowing what you're specifically looking for (other than "receive, read and send mail", which ALL email programs do just fine), we really can't go much farther.

All of the aforementioned programs can be set up to be a minimalistic mail program, as you desire. It's now just your personal preference on which one to use.

If you want a more specific mail program feature or are looking for a certain look and feel, please state so and we can then narrow down your options.

Back