Switch campaign - the other way round

Have you thought about switching to the PC side (aka the dark side)?

• I have already

• Yes, if Apple doesn't push out better hardware, I might do it

• Just for a second, but I came to my senses

• No, I would never ever even think about it! You are a traitor!

Results are only viewable after voting.
im an equal user here, and i'll be honest

winxp is faster, just as stable and does everything i need and is also more open to modifications

osx is purty, stable etc, but it is too damned slow, and it needs more options

my 700mhz athlon running XP pro runs circles around my 800mhz power mac g4 in every day OS tasks, apple still has improvements to make

now you ask... why do i use a mac? because i like em, same as pc's i like em both, and they are both amazing in their own merits...

all this debating which one is better, when really they are equal over all... they are just different and suit different people differently...

simple eh?

For me it doesn't really matter how fast XP is because that isn't the point. Windows has always been behind the Mac OS because it simply doesn't allow you to be as productive. The Mac OS was designed by people who understood the end user experience. Windows... well Windows was backwards engineered from the Mac OS by a bunch of geeks who had no idea how to make things work best for the end user. That's the case whether you're talking about Windows 95 or Windows XP, a 486 or a Pentium 4. It doesn't matter how fast it is if it's running the wrong OS.

MDA

Until recently, I have used mainly Windows98 and a bit of BeOS. I have decided to switch because of my recent experiences with WindowsXP. I have been using it steadily for about a month and have had an enormous number of program crashes. Fortunately, I don't need to reboot afterwards anymore, but the program crashes are even more frequent than in Win98.

I am definitely going to try my luck with a Mac. I will start with an eMac to try it out and if all goes well, I will never go back (at least not full time -- I still have to use a PC laptop for work).

For me, WinXP is the biggest reason to switch to OS X.

By the way, this is my first post. Thanks to everyone here for helping me make up my mind about OS X.

I think it's nice how this thread turned pro Mac quite fast. :)

But then again, we ARE on a Mac-centric forum here and I would think that on a Windows XP forum, we'd hear quite different voices.

Alas, it's fun to be on the right side, I guess...

Just another information. I _do_ have an old PC box under my desk that is working quite well for my everyday tasks that I do on it: Surfing and watching TV. But I had to 'upgrade' from Windows XP to Windows 2000, which is much faster and cleaner, I think, because the drivers for my Hauppauge TV card are much better on Win2K, which I don't really understand, since there must be many, many users of those cards using WinXP. Plus I've ditched RedHat from that machine, too, as I do my testing for web development on my PowerBook before going live on our Linux servers, which works just as great. If only our colocation hosting company had some Xserves ready for me... *sigh*

You know, the Mac community is really nice, but what I really hate sometimes, is this "We are better than you because we use Macs" thinking, and everyone using Windows out of his own will is just stupid.

On these "flame days" I really think hard about switching to Windows and never look back... :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Tigger
You know, the Mac community is really nice, but what I really hate sometimes, is this "We are better than you because we use Macs" thinking, and everyone using Windows out of his own will is just stupid.

On these "flame days" I really think hard about switching to Windows and never look back... :rolleyes:

You have obviously never been in an environment that is hostile towards Mac users on a daily basis like I have. I work in an MIS department as the only Mac support person and it isn't easy. Don't for a second doubt that many Windows users think that Mac users are idiots.

MDA

Originally posted by MDA

You have obviously never been in an environment that is hostile towards Mac users on a daily basis like I have. I work in an MIS department as the only Mac support person and it isn't easy. Don't for a second doubt that many Windows users think that Mac users are idiots.

MDA
Oh yes, I have been there.
But only because they do, have Mac users have to do the same?

Anyway, a little bit more back on topic:
My problem: I am a gamer. That's why I even thought about buying a PC.
I never had a problem with the fewer games that are out there (my only problem is with great games that come months later, like Undying. I love Blizzard :) )

Okay, a Mac with finally DDR might really be sufficient for the current games and games to come in the next year, but what I really don't see is why I should pay more money for a slower computer.
Okay, there are several reasons why I should: iTunes, iMovie, iPhoto. Some people say we pay them too with the prices of Macs. But Steve Jobs tells me they are for free... Well, just another lie he is telling to his customers?

Hey, I'd love to make the switch. But I'm so indentured to Wintel (both in hardware and software investments) that, short of a windfall or working a second job, it's presently impossible.

The Switch ad campaign lured me to drive 200 miles to an Apple store to see what all the fuss was about; once there, I fell head over heels for an iMac and OS X, to no avail.

I feel like a hooked fish with no place to swim but upstream.

http://www.savoymag.org/switch/

Yes, i did. And BTW, it's nice to be back here, some of you may remeber me from long ago, i havent posted here in months... Oh, it's been too long. I was a macaddict, preaching the story all around me to everyone. untill OS X came. then Expectations led to dissapointment, and dissapointment lead back to OS 9. OS 9 led to crashes, which lead back to OS X, now os x.1 Os x.1 led to more dissapontments (they have been discussed here many times even by dire mac heads like i used to be, so i wont mention them).

After evaluating the factors, Slow mac hardware, (466 mhz) + Crashy OS 9 (not even multitasking mind u), + Slower than hell OS X (but stable) + uncustomizable interface (yes, this is a selling point, for me the more options the better, i am not affraid of learning new software or tinkering with hardware.) led to consideration of buying a PC. i said, ok, wait a while. i waited. I got into college, 3 labs full of mac, we just got 20-30 pieces of the "Clone wars" e-Macs, etc, in all i think i have access to about 70 macs on one campus -sweet you might say. All of them are running os 9. they crash to. and don't multitask. soon we will get os x, but i can't wait, time is money for me. So i evaluated my options: stay with current hardware. (slow, crashy fast os 9 v.s. slow stable os x) or sell it - i got 960 cnd $ for my mac - and add and extra 300 $ (effectively rendering a 1200$ computer only 300$ - sweet eh?) this new PC that i have is 2.0 Ghz, (overclockable to 2.6 ghz - 256 DDR ram 333 Mhz for those that care. <- see, PC's ARE faster! just look at the ram. 40GB hardrive(this doesnt count, my old mac had 30 gb, 10 extra, big deal). good souncard (this doesnt count, macs have prety good sound cards too) 16 DVD -do macs have 16X DVD? i dunno. 32 CD-RW, i don't think macs have 32X burners either. so now, i can copy from cd to cd. AND rip dvd's to cd's (oh, yeah like you wouldnt do it!) something else that bugged me was that my friend just bought (switched from PC to Mac 1 down, 95% to go.) a new mac for 2500$ cnd. adn his computer is 40GB hd, 800 Mhz g4 (like a 1000 - 1200 Ghz p4) 512 sdram (the slow kind 133Mhz) and cd burner. look at that money! i could have gotten 3 computers like mine for that money! I am also a student, so those fancy $1.000.000.00 dual Ghz macs arent an option for me. so, here i am, admitting that i have betrayed you, and 2 years of mac addiction, only to be reduced to a person who has knowledge of how to use very well both mac and pc's and who can have a unbiased opinion on the good and bad aspects of both platforms. - BTW, those that think XP sucks, it doesn't, i have not crashed ONCE with XP!. (got 2 kernel panics in one year of OS X) XP, is also WAY faster that os X is. (in the interface) and for those that don't like the look you can get the classic one (or even os x look alike skins if shiny buttons you fancy). something that i wish os x had available. (sometimes i feel like eyecandy, sometimes i don't.) and oh yeah, the start menu and task bar are way more useful than the dock and the idea that the interface should focus on switching between apps (ala mac) than switching between windows (ala windows) is better, is wrong (yeas i am a fan of sun on senteces and bad grammar, never mind spelling). and for those that think u can't customize windows, with os x on our shoulders windows has become the most customizable os around (exept linux perhaps) - this is not at all in defence of Microsoft! oh, please don't even go there, believe me i hate them as much as you do, but my preference for os is my preference, and the opinions above i hope will be repected as my opinions just as i respect your opinions.

that is my "swith over" and i leave you well.

I've been using Apple products for over twenty years. I'm glad this topic came up, or I would have posted it myself.

Frankly, I'm sick of Apple. I'm sick of Microsoft. I'm sick of everybody treating this like it's some sort of holy war. There's no such thing as "good vs. evil". There is such a thing, however, as balance and harmony .

This world we live in, it's a funny place. Everywhere you turn, somebody's tryin' to sell you somethin'. Technology. The latest and the greatest. How is this bickering about Mac vs. PC ever going to evolve into a neutral state? It reminds me of the race wars: black vs. white. Or how about politics: repub or dem? Seems like humans always have to have a side to take and something to fight for. But that's the nature of humanity. It's all part of the big picture, making sure we don't become complacent and forget to evolve.

The new Apple campaign really sickens me. The company that once told us to "think different" is now telling people to "switch". Talk about mixed messages. I mean let's face it, if I "think different" than I suppose that means I should be using whatever system I feel like using. (Why do I always feel like I'm in a frickin' 12-step program when I listen to Apple campaigns?)

If I continue to "support" Apple as the underdog and buy their products, even if they don't always work, should I start giving my money to other charities as well? I mean, this is a charity, right? Apple posted 5 billion in sales with a 25 million dollar loss last year. Wait, read that again. 5 billion dollars . Now, in the scope of the world, that may not seem like much, but to me, it's quite a few bucks. How the hell can Apple, with such a loyal following and such devoted customers, post 5 billion in revenue and still lose 25 million bucks? Is this the type of company I should switch to?

I've been around navi's since I was a wee tot. For thirty years I've been part of the computer evolution... and I'm not impressed one frickin' bit by Apple or Winblows. Most of the benefits and features of today's computers should have been released eons ago. I can't understand how people get so excited over things like "the dock" or "iTunes". You know what I hate about iTunes? It's removed me from the visuals--Apple, the very company that touted the iconic GUI gives us an MP3 player with a "grocery list" of all my music. I had to write my own program just to put the album covers in with the music lists. Hey, I was just "thinking different" I guess.

Anyway, I'm switching to Windows. Why? More choice, better performance, easier upgrade paths, better hardware, same software choices, more game choices, and it will allow me to save money for the important things in life--my family, my friends, and our future together. I can't justify investing in Apple technology anymore when it isn't even Apple technology I'm buying--just a modified case with one-click mouse. (I will keep my other Macs, like the one I'm on now... I'm switching to Microsoft, but I'm not stooopid).

In a few moments, when I go to bed and curl up with my wife, will it have mattered if I used an Apple computer or a Windows machine to share with you my thoughts? This whole computer thing--it's just another phase we have to go through to get to the next step. My kids are going to be living in a world of genetic engineering, DNA computing, wireless communication, and all sorts of techno-BS--I don't think they'll give a crap which platform helps them with their homework. When was the last time you gave loyalty to your telephone? Or your toaster? Once upon a time these were new technologies as well... if your Grandparents are still around, ask them what sort of world they used to live in. Same needs, different products. Sun still shines, sun still sets.

If you've got your head in the Mac vs. PC Holy War, (MPCHW), then go outside and take a breath of fresh air. That's LifeOS. And it kicks the shite out of every other OS on this planet.

Laters.

Originally posted by mrfluffy
{...}and there's the fact that windows is utter crap
That's an opinion, not a fact. You'll get farther in life when you can learn to differentiate between the two.

Originally posted by Koelling
OS X is the future, and we're only in the first iterations. Look at how long XP has been in development (starting from NT) and it's just now useable. Despite some rather terrible decisions such as .mac looking so much like .net I think Apple will be there for the alternative culture for years to come and will be the worlds last chance to break the M$ mold.
I really hope that OSX isn't the future. As far as comparing OSX to XP, well, let's... OSX has been in development far longer than XP, because XP is actually another version of 2000, built on NT. Apple has had access to Unix technology for plenty of time but we've been stuck with a hyped version of System 7 called OS9 for how long now? As far as people always bitchin' about how NT wasn't usable--well, explain that to all the SoftImage users who NEEDED NT becuase Apple couldn't cut the mustard.

Using terms like "the worlds last chance" and "alternative culture" are enough to make me want to switch to Microsoft, because I'm sick of feeling like I'm in some sort of frickin' Mac-cult. What's all the rebellion about? Can Mac users ever get a whiff of the big picture or do they all suffer from savior complexes? If you actually think Apple has a chance of "breaking the M$ mold" then perhaps you should forget about "thinking different" and just stick to "thinking"

PS... Apple may have a chance in hell if we get rid of Jobs... he's really the village idiot in disguise.

Originally posted by MDA
For me it doesn't really matter how fast XP is because that isn't the point. Windows has always been behind the Mac OS because it simply doesn't allow you to be as productive. The Mac OS was designed by people who understood the end user experience. Windows... well Windows was backwards engineered from the Mac OS by a bunch of geeks who had no idea how to make things work best for the end user. That's the case whether you're talking about Windows 95 or Windows XP, a 486 or a Pentium 4. It doesn't matter how fast it is if it's running the wrong OS.

MDA
This is just so wrong. How can an operating system make you more productive? I used to use this argument when I was a MacEvangelIdiot as well... duh, macs are more "productive" duh

I got news for ya, Macs aren't any more "productive" than their Windows competition. Any post on here that tells you that XP is better than OS X is telling you straight up. I tested these systems side by side, and guess what? I could make the iMac running OSX crash 5 times just by playing a game of chess.

If you still believe this sort of macinhooey then you deserve to be a MacinPuppet for the rest of your life. As far as the "bunch of geeks" comment--yeah, man, Steve Jobs is just too frickin' cool--not. As far as I'm concerned , the whole computer industry is just one big geekfest.

...to troll around... The PezagenTROLL that is! :D

Here is some other AWESOME trolling that he mastered:
http://www.macosx.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15885&pagenumber=5

And my reply there:
"...the thing that he/she knows best: Trolling in here! 

Here is another magnificent trolling of his/her:
http://www.macosx.com/forums/showth...=&postid=140282

However for those who don't want to read the above link, here is my reply to PezagenTROLL posted there:

" Hey... After AZOSX, another troll is in da house! 

Come, Pezagen-TROLL, come... It seems that www.macosx.com and its apple nature attracted another troll in here...

Well, ladies & gentlemen our new troll is (drumrolls):

-> PEZAGENT <-
aka: PezagenTROLL  "

Isn't it nice to have two trolls in the same forum (Azosx & now Pezagent)? :D "

pezagent, i'll give you advice, i once read a joke that said: "if you win an argument on the internet - it's like winning the special Olympics, your still retarded" i learned from that. The best way to get out of opinion arguments, like most of the arguments here in this thread are, is to ignore them.

Originally posted by pezagent

This is just so wrong. How can an operating system make you more productive? I used to use this argument when I was a MacEvangelIdiot as well... duh, macs are more "productive" duh

I got news for ya, Macs aren't any more "productive" than their Windows competition. Any post on here that tells you that XP is better than OS X is telling you straight up. I tested these systems side by side, and guess what? I could make the iMac running OSX crash 5 times just by playing a game of chess.

If you still believe this sort of macinhooey then you deserve to be a MacinPuppet for the rest of your life. As far as the "bunch of geeks" comment--yeah, man, Steve Jobs is just too frickin' cool--not. As far as I'm concerned , the whole computer industry is just one big geekfest.

For me and a lot of other people Macs ARE more productive. If that's not true for you that's great. I've used XP and to me it's just Windows with a new Fisher-Price GUI. Your "side by side" tests mean nothing to me, I'm sure there are things you can do in XP to bring the system down. You might also check your installation of OS X because playing a game of chess shouldn't bring it down. Have you tried tossing your chess prefs file?

I believe this "macinhooey" because I have a far easier time getting around and being productive in the Mac OS then I do in any version of Windows.

Originally posted by vic
Yes, i did. And BTW, it's nice to be back here, some of you may remeber me from long ago, i havent posted here in months... Oh, it's been too long. I was a macaddict, preaching the story all around me to everyone. untill OS X came. then Expectations led to dissapointment, and dissapointment lead back to OS 9. OS 9 led to crashes, which lead back to OS X, now os x.1 Os x.1 led to more dissapontments (they have been discussed here many times even by dire mac heads like i used to be, so i wont mention them).

After evaluating the factors, Slow mac hardware, (466 mhz) + Crashy OS 9 (not even multitasking mind u), + Slower than hell OS X (but stable) + uncustomizable interface (yes, this is a selling point, for me the more options the better, i am not affraid of learning new software or tinkering with hardware.) led to consideration of buying a PC. i said, ok, wait a while. i waited. I got into college, 3 labs full of mac, we just got 20-30 pieces of the "Clone wars" e-Macs, etc, in all i think i have access to about 70 macs on one campus -sweet you might say. All of them are running os 9. they crash to. and don't multitask. soon we will get os x, but i can't wait, time is money for me. So i evaluated my options: stay with current hardware. (slow, crashy fast os 9 v.s. slow stable os x) or sell it - i got 960 cnd $ for my mac - and add and extra 300 $ (effectively rendering a 1200$ computer only 300$ - sweet eh?) this new PC that i have is 2.0 Ghz, (overclockable to 2.6 ghz - 256 DDR ram 333 Mhz for those that care. <- see, PC's ARE faster! just look at the ram. 40GB hardrive(this doesnt count, my old mac had 30 gb, 10 extra, big deal). good souncard (this doesnt count, macs have prety good sound cards too) 16 DVD -do macs have 16X DVD? i dunno. 32 CD-RW, i don't think macs have 32X burners either. so now, i can copy from cd to cd. AND rip dvd's to cd's (oh, yeah like you wouldnt do it!) something else that bugged me was that my friend just bought (switched from PC to Mac 1 down, 95% to go.) a new mac for 2500$ cnd. adn his computer is 40GB hd, 800 Mhz g4 (like a 1000 - 1200 Ghz p4) 512 sdram (the slow kind 133Mhz) and cd burner. look at that money! i could have gotten 3 computers like mine for that money! I am also a student, so those fancy $1.000.000.00 dual Ghz macs arent an option for me. so, here i am, admitting that i have betrayed you, and 2 years of mac addiction, only to be reduced to a person who has knowledge of how to use very well both mac and pc's and who can have a unbiased opinion on the good and bad aspects of both platforms. - BTW, those that think XP sucks, it doesn't, i have not crashed ONCE with XP!. (got 2 kernel panics in one year of OS X) XP, is also WAY faster that os X is. (in the interface) and for those that don't like the look you can get the classic one (or even os x look alike skins if shiny buttons you fancy). something that i wish os x had available. (sometimes i feel like eyecandy, sometimes i don't.) and oh yeah, the start menu and task bar are way more useful than the dock and the idea that the interface should focus on switching between apps (ala mac) than switching between windows (ala windows) is better, is wrong (yeas i am a fan of sun on senteces and bad grammar, never mind spelling). and for those that think u can't customize windows, with os x on our shoulders windows has become the most customizable os around (exept linux perhaps) - this is not at all in defence of Microsoft! oh, please don't even go there, believe me i hate them as much as you do, but my preference for os is my preference, and the opinions above i hope will be repected as my opinions just as i respect your opinions.

that is my "swith over" and i leave you well.

Well, another satisfied Apple customer.

If you've been reading my posts, you know I'm also an ex-Mac (L)User.

If Apple would spend more time trying to make systems that work instead of relying upon the blind faith of Apple fanatics everywhere, they might actually stop losing customers.

I'm wondering how many loyal users Apple loses for every customer is tries to gain? 2 to 1? 3 to 1?

The switch campaign is a pain--Apple needs to kill it before it does more harm than good. Steve, if you're ever listening, get a real marketing team.

Unlike this poster, I COULD afford the top of the line G4 systems, but why do I want to fork out the extra cash? That's just dumb.

Originally posted by MDA

For me and a lot of other people Macs ARE more productive. If that's not true for you that's great. I've used XP and to me it's just Windows with a new Fisher-Price GUI.

Well, here we go with the Fisher-Price GUI. What's wrong with the Fisher-Price GUI? Apple's Aqua is the GUI that gives you giant icons that tell you nothing about the documents they represent and the dock is a joke. The quartz rendering also looks like crap.
Your "side by side" tests mean nothing to me, I'm sure there are things you can do in XP to bring the system down. You might also check your installation of OS X because playing a game of chess shouldn't bring it down. Have you tried tossing your chess prefs file?
Tossing the preferences file. That's the Macs answer for everything. A long time ago when I purchased ProTools for the Mac, I got digital "zipper" noise when using the faders. "Trash the prefs file" was all the hope tech support could come up with. I called a Mac audio guru in who assured me the propblem was fixable, even though I had already tried everything. He spent two hours fucking around with my system, replaced the whole OS, and wasted my time. Still had the zipper noise. Do you know what the problem was? The processor wasn't fast enough and the OS didn't handle the audio processing correctly. Other companies such as Cubase had developed Nuendo on the PC--Mac didn't have the chutzpa.

I'm sorry, I'm getting distracted... well, my side by side tests may not interest you, because you want to believe that your mac is the best thing since sliced bread, but perhaps maybe there are more people out there like me who are fed up with Apple and want to switch over... it's a tough choice...

I believe this "macinhooey" because I have a far easier time getting around and being productive in the Mac OS then I do in any version of Windows.

I don't believe you. I don't believe that somehow, say, using Photoshop in Windows is different than using Photoshop on a Mac. Considering the software has exactly the same features on both machines, why would you be more productive on one than the other?

I used to think I was more productive on a Mac, but that was just me being ignorant. I'm typing this post to you on a PC laptop. It's no less or more productive than any Macintosh.

yo pez - you sound like a born again Christian. like you have just discovered something for the first time that you have ignored all along and now it has filled your life with unending joy. (like a pc could really do that :rolleyes: )

so why don't you go find a windows/pc forum to brag about your brilliant discovery? after all it is clear that no one here has ever used a pc and never will. :rolleyes:

truthfully, why do you hang out here and post to every other thread? could it be you are still trying to convince yourself you made the right move? or could it be you are just the type of person who must try to convince others? what causes this deep seated need to 'evangalize'?

and keep making attacks upon mac users and you will quickly find yourself removed from this site by forces other than your own choice.

Back