Switch campaign - the other way round

Have you thought about switching to the PC side (aka the dark side)?

• I have already

• Yes, if Apple doesn't push out better hardware, I might do it

• Just for a second, but I came to my senses

• No, I would never ever even think about it! You are a traitor!

Results are only viewable after voting.
Originally posted by Ed Spruiell
yo pez - you sound like a born again Christian. like you have just discovered something for the first time that you have ignored all along and now it has filled your life with unending joy. (like a pc could really do that :rolleyes: )

so why don't you go find a windows/pc forum to brag about your brilliant discovery? after all it is clear that no one here has ever used a pc and never will. :rolleyes:

truthfully, why do you hang out here and post to every other thread? could it be you are still trying to convince yourself you made the right move? or could it be you are just the type of person who must try to convince others? what causes this deep seated need to 'evangalize'?

and keep making attacks upon mac users and you will quickly find yourself removed from this site by forces other than your own choice.

Attacks? Oh, I'm sorry, I'm not allowed to voice my opinion here? So let's get this straight... because I'm not satisfied with Apple right now I have to keep my mouth shut? Gimmie a break.

A forum is a place to express opinion. If you'd like to fly down to my place I'd be happy to put you up for a few nights while you can teach me how to appropriately make posts to a forum. I don't see any rules here that say how many posts I can make at a time or what I can and cannot think about when I react to someone else's post.

My deep seated need to "evangelize" comes from the fact that I've been a Mac (L)User for 20 years and I'm sick of Apple's campaigns that aren't getting the company anywhere.

As far as the "attacks" thing goes, that's your opinion. I'm not here to enable people to make up their own idealistic ways the world should work.

As far as threatening me with possible removal from this forum, I would say that you take your job as administrator too seriously. I'm sure if were bashing PCs all day long you wouldn't take the time to post back to me at all. So don't give me this double-standard crap, please. If you actually decide to READ some of my posts and develop a rap with me, maybe we can get someplace. But just assuming I'm here to bash Apple is pure ignorance on your part.

Regards,

me.

yo pez - you sound like a born again Christian. like you have just discovered something for the first time that you have ignored all along and now it has filled your life with unending joy.

Well Ed, maybe you'd like this tidbit:

Everyday I wake up, dig?

And maybe you're right. Maybe this is all about losing my religion. Is it my fault it would affect me so? This very forum and every other Mac forum I know of refers to Microsoft as "the dark side" or the "evil empire". Now, I know I shoudn't take this stuff seriously, but how can I not? Apple's PR machine shoves it down my throat that Macs "just work" and nothing else will do. Is it my fault that switching to another platform makes me feel like I'm committing an eternal sin?

yo pez - you sound like a born again Christian. like you have just discovered something for the first time that you have ignored all along and now it has filled your life with unending joy. (like a pc could really do that :rolleyes: )

so why don't you go find a windows/pc forum to brag about your brilliant discovery? after all it is clear that no one here has ever used a pc and never will. :rolleyes:

truthfully, why do you hang out here and post to every other thread? could it be you are still trying to convince yourself you made the right move? or could it be you are just the type of person who must try to convince others? what causes this deep seated need to 'evangalize'?

and keep making attacks upon mac users and you will quickly find yourself removed from this site by forces other than your own choice.

aparently 9 of us not only used a pc but switched ovr, and i think that plenty if not EVERYONE had to use a PC once in their life, wether they liked it or not.

Ed, or are you trying to be sarcastic... sorry if i misunderstood you.

P.S.

if there is a problem with mac-vs-PC discussions, dont you think it would be wiser to moderate thread starters than thread posters? waht exactly is the topic of this thread? i think whoever started this thread is the one you need to talk to if you don't like opinions from people that don't use macs, becasue this thread is a magnet for anybody even pc users or mac people that switched tot he pc, as the poll states, and thus i think everyone need the freedom to speack freely as long as they are on topic and not swering or demeaning towards other people.

Originally posted by culo77 and cause I am to ocheap to buy Vitural PC and M$ office, thats $700 for two programs i wont use
:confused:

If you have Office for Windows, you can just buy Virtual PC and run the Windows version of Office on your Mac. Virtual PC itself isn't too overpriced, considering that to buy only the Microsoft OS included is $200.

Originally posted by Scifience

If you have Office for Windows, you can just buy Virtual PC and run the Windows version of Office on your Mac. Virtual PC itself isn't too overpriced, considering that to buy only the Microsoft OS included is $200.

do people still BUY software? ;)

Originally posted by vic

do people still BUY software? ;)

LOL--- this is possibly the ONLY thing keeping me from really just chucking my Mac out the window... all the lovely software already installed on it.

But this was something Apple had to consider--people like me, working with OS9, waiting for OSX to come out--bang! Here comes OSX, still shipping with "Classic OS" ug... with no Applications ready to take advantage of OSX... (and what am I supposed to do about Adobe Streamline? I depend on that POS for my art, man) so, yet, another consideration was this: well, I'm upgrading my software anyway, now's a good as time as any to look at the competition...

Guess it's back to Hotline for me...

Originally posted by pezagent

"Well, here we go with the Fisher-Price GUI. What's wrong with the Fisher-Price GUI? Apple's Aqua is the GUI that gives you giant icons that tell you nothing about the documents they represent and the dock is a joke. The quartz rendering also looks like crap."

Actually the Dock isn't a joke. I find that I'm alway going down to the bottom
of the screen for the dock even when I'm in OS 9. The Quartz rendering looks just fine on my flat-panel.

"Tossing the preferences file. That's the Macs answer for everything. A long time ago when I purchased ProTools for the Mac, I got digital "zipper" noise when using the faders. "Trash the prefs file" was all the hope tech support could come up with. I called a Mac audio guru in who assured me the propblem was fixable, even though I had already tried everything. He spent two hours fucking around with my system, replaced the whole OS, and wasted my time. Still had the zipper noise. Do you know what the problem was? The processor wasn't fast enough and the OS didn't handle the audio processing correctly. Other companies such as Cubase had developed Nuendo on the PC--Mac didn't have the chutzpa."

I told you to toss the prefs file because 9 times out of 10 it makes all the difference unlike on a PC where the remedy most often suggested is to reinstall Windows

"I'm sorry, I'm getting distracted... well, my side by side tests may not interest you, because you want to believe that your mac is the best thing since sliced bread, but perhaps maybe there are more people out there like me who are fed up with Apple and want to switch over... it's a tough choice..."

Your "side by side" test mean nothing to me because they're anecdotal. I find that I'm much more frustrated trying to get things done using Windows. That's my anecdotal evidence.

"I don't believe you. I don't believe that somehow, say, using Photoshop in Windows is different than using Photoshop on a Mac. Considering the software has exactly the same features on both machines, why would you be more productive on one than the other?"

I don't care whether you believe me or not. Not all work done on computers is done in applications. Navigating around in Windows is far more frustrating for me than navigating the Mac OS. I've also heard from others that applications like Photoshop don't in fact work as well in Windows as they do in the Mac OS, again only anecdotal evidence. If Windows makes your day then by all means go use it and quit posting to this forum

MDA

this is all too funny

mac osx and windows xp are almost the same, working within the os is almost the same

things minimze to the bottom, you got your links in a bar on the bottom, you browse your folders in one window, everything is candy coated a purdy looking etc etc

photoshop? works the same on my 800mhz g4 and my 700mhz pc, the g4 is a bit faster but thats expected... but my pc was faster than a 500mhz g4 i tested against side by side...

they are so equal and the same in so many ways i love both and wouldnt want to rid myself of either... people are so violent and close minded when it comes to OS's sheesh ;)

Originally posted by BuddahBobb
this is all too funny

mac osx and windows xp are almost the same, working within the os is almost the same

things minimze to the bottom, you got your links in a bar on the bottom, you browse your folders in one window, everything is candy coated a purdy looking etc etc

photoshop? works the same on my 800mhz g4 and my 700mhz pc, the g4 is a bit faster but thats expected... but my pc was faster than a 500mhz g4 i tested against side by side...

they are so equal and the same in so many ways i love both and wouldnt want to rid myself of either... people are so violent and close minded when it comes to OS's sheesh ;)

I'm sure it must be a very self satisfied feeling to believe you are above the OS wars and superior because of it. If however your a part of the 5% and dwindling market share Mac community it isn't that easy to ignore. If you watch department after department at your business be forced to adopt PC's over Mac's because of poor planning for Mac users it isn't that easy to ignore.

As for there being no difference between using Windows or the Mac OS, I suggest you call a service bureau and ask them what kind of a file they prefer to work with. No one in the publishing world who knows what they are doing uses PC's.

MDA

Originally posted by vic
...if there is a problem with mac-vs-PC discussions, dont you think it would be wiser to moderate thread starters than thread posters? waht exactly is the topic of this thread? i think whoever started this thread is the one you need to talk to if you don't like opinions from people that don't use macs, becasue this thread is a magnet for anybody even pc users or mac people that switched tot he pc, as the poll states, and thus i think everyone need the freedom to speack freely as long as they are on topic and not swering or demeaning towards other people.
You are right, I shouldn't have started this topic (Seriously).

It was clear from the beginning what it would be going to. That is why xlr8yourmac.com has its own board for PC-Mac wars.

Please Ed, shut this thread down. It doesn't lead anywhere.
Everyone is just getting insulting in here. Again.

first, there is no reason to shut this thread down. i think it has many good points. just play nice guys. pez tends to get a bit emotional about all this and doesn't seem to realize that insulting mac users as a group insults each of us individually as well. as for pc bashing - well, this is a mac forum. it's what we do from time to time. often with good reason, often without. but you wouldn't walk into a feminist convention and start spouting chauvenist remarks and expect to get out unscathed now, would you? people who come here strictly to put down apple and offer no other valuable input to the community are trolls. plain and simple. we tend to tolerate them up to the point they get abusive. pez is getting close to that already.

and pez, as moderater i have to read every one of your posts. and frankly it is tedious and boring to read your repititions of the same old sour note over and over in half a dozen threads.

perhaps i should have picked one of the other threads you have posted in to respond. like the one where you all but called the admiral an idiot. (the main reason for the warning about attacks)

vic - of course i was being sarcastic. i thought that was so obvious that it didn't even need a smilie. :D

Originally posted by pezagent

That's an opinion, not a fact. You'll get farther in life when you can learn to differentiate between the two.
and you may get farther with a sense of humour. and about the productivity i've sat at the college computers (400Mhz 64MB RAM Win 98) and seen them crash just trying to open a word ducument between 5 and 10 times in an hour, i've never ever seen a mac crash that much even when i was using photoshop on my quadra and running filters that took 5 minutes to go through.

Originally posted by mrfluffy

and you may get farther with a sense of humour. and about the productivity i've sat at the college computers (400Mhz 64MB RAM Win 98) and seen them crash just trying to open a word ducument between 5 and 10 times in an hour, i've never ever seen a mac crash that much even when i was using photoshop on my quadra and running filters that took 5 minutes to go through.
Please keep in mind that these PCs are probably really bad configured, and run hardware that is really crappy.
I have seen Macs in our local computer store that were so bad configured it was giving me the creeps.
And now if some Windows user is looking at these Macs, what does he think about Macs in general? The same as you about PCs...
It just depends on the point of view.

Originally posted by Tigger

Please keep in mind that these PCs are probably really bad configured, and run hardware that is really crappy.
I have seen Macs in our local computer store that were so bad configured it was giving me the creeps.
And now if some Windows user is looking at these Macs, what does he think about Macs in general? The same as you about PCs...
It just depends on the point of view.

nope, it depends on the admins of these machines.

the point is a valid one - that not every computer is properly set up and maintained. college campus computers are often the worst. store demos can be equally as bad. the thing is that thousands of users have access to them and some of them can screw things up pretty badly for the other users. judging any computer in any of these environments can be tricky.

a real apple store should be able to show a mac at its best. most resellers put more effort into thier pc's and are lucky if anybody in the store knows how to force reboot a mac.

so unless you have compared properly maintained computers, then you are getting less than the total picture. i think this even applies to 2 computers owned by the same person. the person is likely to know a bit more or less about how to properly set up and maintain one system or the other.

Originally posted by MDA

I'm sure it must be a very self satisfied feeling to believe you are above the OS wars and superior because of it. If however your a part of the 5% and dwindling market share Mac community it isn't that easy to ignore. If you watch department after department at your business be forced to adopt PC's over Mac's because of poor planning for Mac users it isn't that easy to ignore.

As for there being no difference between using Windows or the Mac OS, I suggest you call a service bureau and ask them what kind of a file they prefer to work with. No one in the publishing world who knows what they are doing uses PC's.

MDA

gee thank you for giving me some obvious information :rolleyes:

i dont mean to sound like an asshole or someone who is "above" all this, but IMHO windows and mac os have been floating towards each other, both copying each other etc getting more and more similar with each new OS

do i know that the market for macs is a dwindling one? yes it is... but does that make it an excuse to go around throwing insults at people who use a different OS? i guess thats up to you, i dont see the need

yes i know service bureaus use mac formatted files, but in all honesty with adobe's cross platform capabilties lessen that gap a bit... the only file format that i know of that isnt nicely cross platform, that i output in is quark. but even with quark files i have never had a problem going back and forth and opening on either machine. personally i use PDFs now as my final output because i use InDesign more often than not, and again pdf's are very much cross platforms, i have not had a problem in a long time outputting from either, but since ive used both i must be an idiot because i touched the devil's machine!

on the other hand, why is the mac community dwindling? most answers will be... well because bill gates is evil, he is building an evil empire, he is monopolizing blah blah

when the fact of the matter is, the apple OS can only be used on a computer from a specific manufacturer (apple) that is more expensive, so it doesnt leave very many options for the OS to spread, because in a time of a tightened economy and budget cuts in most corporations and educational facilities it is more beneficial for the pocketbook to buy pc's and if apple's os doesnt run on anything but their own equipment, and they cant sell their equipment at a cheaper rate, then that doesnt leave them in very good condition

i dont see a war here i see a general population OS, with special applications, and i see a market niche OS

Originally posted by BuddahBobb

gee thank you for giving me some obvious information :rolleyes:

i dont mean to sound like an asshole or someone who is "above" all this, but IMHO windows and mac os have been floating towards each other, both copying each other etc getting more and more similar with each new OS

do i know that the market for macs is a dwindling one? yes it is... but does that make it an excuse to go around throwing insults at people who use a different OS? i guess thats up to you, i dont see the need

yes i know service bureaus use mac formatted files, but in all honesty with adobe's cross platform capabilties lessen that gap a bit... the only file format that i know of that isnt nicely cross platform, that i output in is quark. but even with quark files i have never had a problem going back and forth and opening on either machine. personally i use PDFs now as my final output because i use InDesign more often than not, and again pdf's are very much cross platforms, i have not had a problem in a long time outputting from either, but since ive used both i must be an idiot because i touched the devil's machine!

on the other hand, why is the mac community dwindling? most answers will be... well because bill gates is evil, he is building an evil empire, he is monopolizing blah blah

when the fact of the matter is, the apple OS can only be used on a computer from a specific manufacturer (apple) that is more expensive, so it doesnt leave very many options for the OS to spread, because in a time of a tightened economy and budget cuts in most corporations and educational facilities it is more beneficial for the pocketbook to buy pc's and if apple's os doesnt run on anything but their own equipment, and they cant sell their equipment at a cheaper rate, then that doesnt leave them in very good condition

i dont see a war here i see a general population OS, with special applications, and i see a market niche OS

Amen.

Back