The Apple iPad...

I don't know - seems like we're being overrun wioth gadgets. Is this really etter than a regular laptop? The fingertip technology seems somewhat like drawing in the sand to me. Give me a good keyboard instead.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by Giaguara; Yesterday at 02:33 PM. Reason: Removed unrelated link. No spam here thank you.
Ban the user.

This is the new method for spamming forums and blog comment areas. People get paid a dollar or so to write a short comment at least somewhat related to a topic and then a spam link is included with that comment.

They advertise on craigslist for “writers”.

Especially look for the post being the first one ever from the author.

god, the guardian really is pushing the advertorial, isn't it? Maybe everyone at the guardian has to write on the ipad this week in their own style. Delights to follow:

'why i hate the ipad" by julie bindel

"the ipad: An insidious tool of american imperialism" by seumas milne.

"banish those winter blues with a nice, chunky ipad" by nigel slater

"the ipad: An insidious tool of colonial oppression" by gary younge

"why the ipad is just a silly toy for useless men" by polly f... Sorry i mean zoe williams

"oooh! It sounds like the name for a panty liner, hee hee" by tim dowling

"an ostentatiously contrarian review of the ipad" by peter bradshaw

"the ipad: Brezhnev thought of it first" by jonathan steele

:d

I thought it was an entertaining and funny read. Amazing how anyone can get up in arms over words devoted to a device.

Funny how a majority of these people (bloggers, journalists, etc.) have taken issue with so many features of the iPad without having, a) even seen one in person, less they were at the Expo, and b) used one.

Kind of like criticizing how a particular model of car handles on the street without having actually driven the car.

Funny how a majority of these people (bloggers, journalists, etc.) have taken issue with so many features of the iPad without having, a) even seen one in person, less they were at the Expo, and b) used one.

Kind of like criticizing how a particular model of car handles on the street without having actually driven the car.

The majority of my issues with the device are purely technical; what subjective qualities are these bloggers/journalists complaining about?

The majority of my issues with the device are purely technical; what subjective qualities are these bloggers/journalists complaining about?
They've got to earn their crust. Sounds to me that Mr Brooker has caught the Apple bug, but can't bring himself around to admit it.

The iPad is still a bit of a luxury though (IMHO).

I reeeeeeeeally don't get how most people don't see history repeating itself (I mean all those negative commenters and bloggers and reporters out there...). The iMac in 1998 was clearly a lackluster computer, underpowered and it didn't even have a floppy drive. The iPod clearly was MUCH too expensive, and who really _wanted_ to keep all their music on one portable device, anyway? The iPhone was a very expensive toy that didn't even have a keyboard and still claimed to be a "smart" phone. Clearly, all those devices were doomed. And now there's the iPad. Doomed as well. ;)

I'm looking forward to this. Although as a writer I'm not specifically addressed by the iPad, since I really _will_ miss a real keyboard, I'll still buy one. Either the cheapest version available - or the most expensive one. I'll have to see the Swiss pricing structure and 3G plans before I'll decide. But quite clearly, this device _will_ change the way I'll surf on my sofa and enjoy the web and RSS feeds. Whether I'll read books on it remains to be seen. I kinda like my Sony PRS-505 for that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dulmont_Magnum
Seems to pre-date the PowerBook by about 10 years?
Or, the Gavilan, among others... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gavilan_SC

I think we CAN say that Apple sold the PowerBook as a unit that was much lighter, and could actually be used in your lap...
The Dulmont Magnum and Gavilan SC were certainly light portable computers. However, theirs was a form factor that is long gone. The first computer that sported the form factor that we recognize today as a laptop was the PowerBook 100.

The Dulmont Magnum and Gavilan SC were certainly light portable computers. However, theirs was a form factor that is long gone. The first computer that sported the form factor that we recognize today as a laptop was the PowerBook 100.
There are certainly recognizable characteristics even within the earliest laptops, however. If choosing to only look at later designs, it is worth remembering the NEC UltraLite, which first saw the light of day in 1988/1989.

I reeeeeeeeally don't get how most people don't see history repeating itself (I mean all those negative commenters and bloggers and reporters out there...). The iMac in 1998 was clearly a lackluster computer, underpowered and it didn't even have a floppy drive. The iPod clearly was MUCH too expensive, and who really _wanted_ to keep all their music on one portable device, anyway? The iPhone was a very expensive toy that didn't even have a keyboard and still claimed to be a "smart" phone. Clearly, all those devices were doomed. And now there's the iPad. Doomed as well. ;)

I can understand why, though. I personally see this device as the reincarnation of the original Macintosh concept. It's exactly what Jobs wanted from the Mac's inception...an appliance. Everyone had negative things to say about the original Macintosh, but the concept itself was remarkable. Same thing with the iPad. The product by itself in this iteration might be considered "doomed" (heck, I'm feeling very "meh" about the iPad since the announcement), but it will evolve, just as the original Macintosh did and as the iMac did. Pretty much just like every Apple device did when it made its debut.

I'm starting to see where this product fits, but it still seems to duplicate what a lot of people already have. I don't ever see myself buying an iPad, that's for sure, but that's me.

Back