The BIG OS 10.2 thread...

I agree with Pavao. this "freeze" is the most annoying thing about Os X. if you have not experienced it yet, then you dont know how lucky you are.
if you have experienced it, then you can only take comfort in the fact that you are not alone.

i would also like to see some more cameras supported in image capture.....well...to be honest i would like to see support for Ricoh RDC 5300 :)

and finally a little more speed

64bit OS for the G5:D :D (but will run in 32bit mode for the G4). That will give REAL speed; 64bit altivec running at 3GHz!!!!!!

You guys have covered about everything under the sun, except for the single most annoying thing in OS X:

That damn bouncing AIM icon!

Sure, if i recieved an IM once in a week it might be helpful, but in a conversation its just obnoxious, i havent found a hack to kill it either....

Originally posted by Matrix Agent
You guys have covered about everything under the sun, except for the single most annoying thing in OS X:

Sure, if i recieved an IM once in a week it might be helpful, but in a conversation its just obnoxious, i havent found a hack to kill it either....

OMFG.

How does this sound? Don't use AIM. There are multitudes of AIM clients for OS X. I recommend Adium.

I use AIM 4.3 in Classic to recieve files.

Try Fire: http://www.epicware.com/fire.html . Much nicer notifications. Needs work, but it's very tolerable.

How about this apple

Themes... Its a unix GUI technically, so it should have the flexability of other unix window managers.

Scsi Burning support & perhaps some nice burning apps

A version of IE that supports java correctly

Speed would be nice

SMB that works with win2k correctly.

A free g5 for me.. :)

Other than that though I must say this time last year I was using os9 and wondering what x would bring. I lost burning support (and im just getting it back now) and lost themes but gained so much. OSX rules.

•Virtual Desktops
•Remote login (VNC) like in WinXP for supporting the family member who doesn't know how to use a computer :D
•Dramticly improved Radeon Support (I am getting one today (ordering), and saying good-bye to my Rage II+ with 2MB vram). I work @11152x870
•Labels
•Fix the drawing problem in IE, and Classic
•Change File owner, and group for files in Get Info
•Fix the clock bug that if on desktop puts it back in dock when started as a login item
•Include MySQL
•TV Mirroring (for RCA out)
•File helper control panel for assigning apps to file extentions
•second divider in Dock for seperating Clasic/Native apps
•force login screen, so if your user is hosed you can login as root or something
•ability to disable startup items, so if one startup item is preventing startup you can fix it
•Advanced installer with more options to help lighten X (like picking which printer you have, not installing desktop picture, screensavers etc)
•Mail 2.0 (I don't use it but alot of people do, and it needs to be improved along with Addressbook)
•More user control (Via GUI) over options
•assign user to certain groups in user control panel
•Dramaticly improve GUI permissions and privaliges
•Finder on Install CD so that you can backup files etc if you need to format and can't boot from HD
•More GUI based apps/control panelts for Power Users

That's my list for now.

- Speed Improvements
- my SCSI Scanner back :(
- and the only cool think in Win2000 : the ability to lock the session... I've not found how to do this in X.1.1...

I agree with that, always when an application needs attention IT STARTS JUMPING!:mad:
It's the same thing with MSN messenger.
Apple should implement flashing icon, like in fire or at least make the JUMPING an option!

The only thing I find really irritating is the lack of customisation in the Apple menue.

Currrently there is no way to move between apps with a single click of the mouse.

The Apple menu is the only menu always available and in OS9 it could be customised to put your apps there.

This is - sorry Apple - much more convenient than using the dock.

I now have an 'apps' folder in the dock for frequently used apps so I can open new apps quickly.

But it still takes three click to open the app ...once on the dock, then on the apps folder and finally on the app.

So this is an improvement?

Originally posted by Myke
Currrently there is no way to move between apps with a single click of the mouse.

Erhm. If you actually *use* the dock as a launcher, you can move between apps with a single click of the mouse. And also launch them. :)

If that's not what you meant, say what you mean in your posts. :) There are several shareware options that could well replace the dock. So: I want an option in Dock preferences to choose which app should be 'the Dock'.

Apple has to see that power users use more than 10 apps, which is a problem with the Dock (mostly because every utility however small uses the same space in the Dock and just adding folders to the Dock doesn't help because then every started app means yet another icon...).

And yes: Where can I get rid of the jumping icons? ;) This is important guys, because it's freaking me out every time after I come back from lunch.

The only thing I find really irritating is the lack of customisation in the Apple menue.

The Apple menu is the only menu always available and in OS9 it could be customised to put your apps there.

I now have an 'apps' folder in the dock for frequently used apps so I can open new apps quickly.

But it still takes three click to open the app ...once on the dock, then on the apps folder and finally on the app.

So this is an improvement?

I hate to point out the obvious, but just take all of your apps that you use and stick them in the dock. There should be plenty of space. I currently have 21 icons in the dock (and more on my home computer). Opening an app takes one click, and so does switching between apps.

Speed, speed, speed.
Wouldn't mind a simple basic-featured audio editing/mixing program - say "iSound" - that integrates with iMovie (allows editing of .aiff & .mp3) with the usual Apple touch.
Bring back assignable function keys.
Control panel support for third party input devices - something like USB Overdrive.

Thanks for your replies about the Apple menu but I'm afraid both of you miss the point ...

I thought I had made clear that my complaint about the dock is to do with opening NEW apps, not returning to ones already open.

(Even for those already in the dock you need two clicks ...)

Yes, of course you can keep adding icons into the dock ...but as you say, Fryke, it isn't designed for that - and it shows.

The Apple menu was neat, convenient and simple to use. You could shove (almost!) any number of apps in there, without losing functionality.

They were presented in alphabetical order, ready and waiting ...

No doubt there's some shareware out there to bring some of this back...but my point is ..why did Apple take something so useful and trash it?

I thought I had made clear that my complaint about the dock is to do with opening NEW apps, not returning to ones already open.

(Even for those already in the dock you need two clicks ...)

How is it you have to click twice in the dock to launch an app?
Something is wrong if you have to do that. For apps that are not in the dock and I use infrequently, I use recent items and have it set for 50 apps (although I would like more). Granted it isn't as fast as being in the Apple menu, but too many apps there makes it confusing to select the other selections.

Back