The BIG OS 10.2 thread...

Oh, I didn't know you could just hold down the mouse button. What a waste of time. Why Apple still uses a 1-button mouse is beyond me. Microsoft has gotten beyond 640k of RAM!!! This also pisses me off about IE for Mac. The right button should bring up the history in the back and forward buttons, not the color scheme.

hazmat - what speed do you get if you left-click on the menus?

I suspect that, like efoivx, you'll have a delay there as well.

I really like the Apple Pro Mouse. I guess I also got spoiled under OS 9 with finderpop's ability to change the popup menu delay...

I also have a TurboMouse, but Kensington said there is a bug in the iMate drivers (still beta) that prevents me from configuring the buttons on the TurboMouse....

What''ll really like to see in 10.2 is drivers for all pieces of assorted hardware *sigh* :(

About the same delay as holding down the button on the left or right arrows in IE. About a second I guess?

My favorite mouse has become the Logitech First Mouse 3-button, believe it or not. Fits my hand perfectly. As much as I always hated the wheel mice, I have to admit that the wheel works really well in OS X, so since the First Mouse 3-button is PS/2 only anyway, I got a First Wheel Mouse, which is the same as the 3-button, just a wheel instead of a button, and they have it in USB. If only those buttheads at Logitech would come out with drivers for OS X so I can assign paste to the middle button, I will be happy. Logitech makes great mice, but their software sucks major ass. Hopefully USB Overdrive for OS X will be out soon.

Right now I am using a Kensington Mouse-In-A-Box Optical. Really nice, but I just can't get used to the feel and button action. Oh well.

Hazmat: We're talking LEFT-clicking, not right-clicking here. This delay is not customizable, AFAIK, unless you open up the code for Dock.app and customize it somehow.

Sorry about that... posted it and then noticed that other people had said basically the same thing.

- Speed is the major issue we're talking about here.

- Ability to play DVD on a TV using a Powebook. My Powerbook G3 Pismo used to do it very well under 9.2.

- More help to the people that are developing third party drivers for OS X. I've been waiting for Scanner drivers, Media reader drivers, and SCSI Cardbus adapter drivers.

- Most games seem very slow under OS X. Topico for instance is almost unplayable. (Maybe not an Apple fault, but something seems wrong with OpenGL)

- More organized Control Panels. Many features have been taken off. More customization on energy saver, on network time, etc.

- When you press the Menu Bar clock, even if you changed the date format on international CP, it still shows the date in the american date format.

- Juiced up contextual menus. It is time consuming having to access menus to do simple finder tasks.

I can think of more things...:)

1.Support for more languages, especially right-to-left scripts.
(Think education, Apple !)
2. RealPlayer. I personally prefer QT but so much stuff on the Web is available only in .ram. Hell, I want to *use* the Internet.

Originally posted by onan
I use Terminal.app far more than all other applications combined; this makes me painfully aware of just how bad it is.

¥ It deals poorly with extremely large font sizes.

¥ Its implementation of ansi color is just blatantly broken.

¥ There is no way (that I've found) to configure the actual colors used to display the 16 ansi "colors".

¥ It doesn't support drag & drop! (Okay, it supports drop, but not drag.)

The last of these seems unbelievable from an Apple application... until you remember that this isn't an Apple application. This is exactly the same Terminal.app which shipped with NeXTstep fifteen years ago.

Ironically, in fact, it's exactly the same Terminal.app which no one could stand fifteen years ago, and which everyone replaced with the much-loved Stuart.

Really, this application should've been rewritten about fifteen years ago. Perhaps someone'll get around to it sometime this decade?

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is one thing that is really pissing me off about OS X. For straight monochrome, it's fine. But why I need to pull teeth just to figure out how to get it to display color is beyond me. I get colored mutt and such fine via ssh, but the formatting is all screwed up, like bad video drivers. I fear that this will NOT be updated, and I will have to actually use an ssh client if and when one comes out for OS X, yet OpenSSH is perfectly fine. Sad. What I am praying for is that Van Dyke releases SecureCRT for OS X. Probably my single most used piece of software in NT.

Things I would like to see for the Terminal.app:

1. Real support for colors, I guess a proper expansive termcap

2. Copy on select function

3. Keyboard remap (not directly related, but remapping caps lock to control would make Terminal life a lot nicer)

Sorry to harp on...but ...

I do get a little p.....d off with being patronised about learning to love the dock and forget the Apple menu.

It takes me two clicks to open apps in the dock because I HAVE ALREADY created an Apple menu folder there.

It's the only way to make it half manageable.

But it still isn't as good as the Apple menu was.

So why did Apple trash the menu?

Perhaps because they realised that this cool new dock thing wouldn't look half as smart, when people realised they could do things a whole lot easier in the Apple menu ....

A triumph of form over function! A metaphor for our age!

(OKOK ...got a little carried away there...)

It takes me two clicks to open apps in the dock because I HAVE ALREADY created an Apple menu folder there.

I still don't understand why it takes you TWO clicks?

I have a folder of aliases of all my apps these are in sub folders just to keep things organized.

example:

launcher folder
|
|---graphic apps
|---html apps
|---games
|---utilities

even with a single button mouse it takes ONE click.

click and hold,
menu pops up,
move mouse to select item,
release mouse button

I realize that you may be clicking and releasing the mouse button then moving to select the item.... but this is no different than the apple menu. you could do it either way with the apple menu too.

I'm not telling you to get over it but honestly it's just a menu you can certainly see the obviouse pluses of X that make loosing an apple menu worth it. I have not restarted in months no crashes at all I'll take that over an apple menu any time.

Cheers

Just by curiosity, where do you guys keep the actual folders that you use in the Dock? I made ~/Dock Stuff and put them in there, and every time I want to add something, I have to make an alias and drag it into the folder, usually right in the Dock. Is this the easiest way to do it?

Originally posted by Myke
Sorry to harp on...but ...

I do get a little p.....d off with being patronised about learning to love the dock and forget the Apple menu.

It's the only way to make it half manageable.

Did you not read what I said? Like efoivx said, it still only takes ONE CLICK. With the Dock, you CANNOT do it with 2 clicks. A single click on the folder will result in the folder being opened in the Finder. IT TAKES ONE FREAKIN' CLICK, PERIOD.

Originally posted by Myke
But it still isn't as good as the Apple menu was.

So why did Apple trash the menu?

Perhaps because they realised that this cool new dock thing wouldn't look half as smart, when people realised they could do things a whole lot easier in the Apple menu ....

A triumph of form over function! A metaphor for our age!

OMG. Did you NOT read what I SAID? The Apple Menu in the Dock is EXACTLY THE WAY THAT THE APPLE MENU WORKS IN OS 9. This is not a triumph of form over function. This is a triumph of form AND function.

Sheesh, some people sure are resistant to change, even when there is none. :rolleyes:

hehe um simmer down simX you seem to be getting a little hot under the collar LOL.

anyway to answer where I keep my dock folders...

in a folder in my home directory called Dock Menus

~/Dock Menus

inside is sub folders that I have on my dock

"Launcher" has sub folders of app catagories like net, web dev, design, games, utilities, etc

another dock folder I have is "Projects" contains sub folders of all my current in progress rojects.

and last I have a folder called "Junk" it's a folder I used to keep on my OLD deskop so I can drop desktop clutter into it to keep my dt neat. now I don't have to have that folder sit on my dt it sits in the dock... the one and only thing that would make it better is if the folder would pop open and let me drag to a sub folder within. but I won't complain.

Cheers

Sorry SimX I seem to have stirred you up a bit! You actually had me doubting my sanity for a moment, then I went back to the dock and tried what is being suggested.

Move the mouse over the dock ...yes it opens ...

Find my Apple menu folder ....double click to open it (it doesn't open simply by putting the mouse over it)

Then find my apps which are in subfolders... then double click to open the one I want.

The apps in my folder DO NOT open simply by placing the mouse over them!

So double click, double click is the only way I can do this. Unless there's some preference setting that I don't know about?

Maybe if I dropped aliases into the dock, without a folder around them they would open with one (double?) click but I've already explained that since the dock isn't arranged alphabetically and since it isn't useable for large numbers of apps, then I don't consider this practical.

I'm not against change, I (mostly) like OSX.

If someone can explain (simply please, since SimX clearly considers that I'm a moron!) how to open my apps in the dock with one click, I'd be ecstatic!

PS SimX ...are you like this at home?

Unless I am misunderstanding you, simple either hold down the mouse button or control+click or right-click on the folder, move around to find the app you want, them click on it, or let go of the button if you had it down the whole time. Is this what you were asking?

Myke why are you DOUBLE clicking everything?

No need at all my friend...

All you need to do is...

move to the dock
click the mouse button once and hold the button down.
the menu pops up move the mouse to your selection
let the mouse button go...

1 click

simple did that make sense to you?

cheers

Okay Myke, here's what you do:
Make sure you moved a folder (e.g. your apps folder) to the Dock.
Right, now mover your cursor over the the folder icon. Now press the mouse button and *keep it depressed*. The folder should spring (pop) open, that is display a menu with your apps listed.
Now move your mouse to the app you wish to open (still holding the mouse button depressed). With the cursor over the respective app, release the mouse button - voilà - the app opens. One click ;)

Outch, efoivx you've been faster :eek:

Outch, efoivx you've been faster

Faster than what? :)

It's nice in OS X I can keep my email app open and checking and my browser... no performance hit :)

my mail checks continualy every minute all day and night... I click the link in the mail and my browser is always open so I shoot over and reply :) I rarely sleep, I don't have a TV all my work is in front of a computer all day and then when I am relaxing I am still in front of a computer sooooo instant response...

Cheers

Why SimX is trying to explain is that you only need one click, because thats how you turn the folder into a contextual window. By double clicking you open a new finer window. To do as SimX says:

1. Put your mouse over the selected folder
2. Either Right Click/Ctrl-Click or click on hold on the folder.
3. Use the contextual menu that pops up to lanch your apps/docs
4. Enjoy

In addition, if you wish to open a finder window, you only need one click. Simply click and it will appear, no fancy stuff.

faster than me who does not spend *all* his time in front of the screen and Mail doesn't check every minute and... well.
Yes, I saw your post but having written mine I had already entered a state of compulsive "submit" clicking ;)

Back