The new OS X Mavericks

Cheryl

Rosie Moderator
Staff member
Mod
Has anyone upgraded to Maverick and if so, what's your take on it? That the upgrade is free, at least for now, is a good marketing ploy.

Yea I upgraded and the one major problem is SMB2. If someone has and older NAS (older than 4 years) or a lazy manufacture, it can't use the new SMB2 protocol. This is popping up in some 2008S2 servers too (but not to other 2008S2 machine, so it is a mystery). One user even put a hack to revert back to SMB1 in the blog post OS X 10.9 Mavericks Workaround for SMB (Warning Only Do This If You Are Desperate!).

Plus the inventible applications braking so check with your applications developers for updates before upgrading. IMHO Mavericks fixes a lot of the 10.8 network bugs but like in all network gear most third party application developers get off their collective but and recompile their applications for 10.9.

One thing I forgot to add. If as a user you have major applications like Little Snitch make sure you first head to the System Preferences->Security page, 'Privacy' tab, 'Accessibility' side panel and let that program (as well as others) to 'control your computer'.

One more thing: On my 2008 Dual Mac Pro with external 2.1 speakers and discovered after shutting my Mac Pro down for the night upon a restart sound was blasting through the left speaker. I checked the /Applications/Utilities/Audio MIDI setup and the Sound System Preferences and everything looked good in both places. I then had to Reset PRAM to get sound working correctly again. A quick check of the Console logs gave me no information why this happened. So I will have to keep a eye upon it after shutdown/starts.

Last edited:
Another thing the new GarageBand takes away the Podcast Producer and is moving more over to music production like a Logic Pro ultralight. So be warned and save you previous version somewhere before getting the free 10 update from the Mac App Store if you like making podcasts with the previous version.

As with all major updates/new versions, there is a little thing called, getting familiar with the new enhancements. Pages has a new layout. iBooks has to be connected to iCloud in order to see all your books on your other devices.
So far what I don’t like is that iTunes does not start up when you connect one of your devices. I prefer to back up to my computer only, not to iCloud.
And I would like the option to save installers from the App Store.

Something I just learned from an apple senior tech advisor. They received a memo (on Ocotber 31st) from Western Digital that when you upgrade to Mavericks be sure and have any external WD drives disconnected as there can be "a loss of data." I just found out from experience that my time machine backups were all erased except the one I had to use to reinstall my 10.6.8. I've gone backwards for some of the reasons stated here. Be careful. Don't lose your only way to go back if you need to. :)

Last edited:
I have a very nice DVD burner that uses Lightscribe and before I take this leap (again) I was wondering if anyone knew if it will work with Mavericks? Not up on roaringapps.com yet.

I am running 10.6.8. and just had to reinstall a backup from just trying to get to 10.7. Ugh. :-(

It is slow. My Mail crashes. Many applications still do not work. Staying with Mountain Lion.

Mavericks?
xp_badblood_zpsc4cb5f8d.gif

--J.D.

Have just upgraded from 10.8.5 with a new Mac Mini (see specs below) and I can't believe how much slower 10.9 is compared with 10.8.

It is slow. My Mail crashes. Many applications still do not work. Staying with Mountain Lion.

Mavericks?
xp_badblood_zpsc4cb5f8d.gif

--J.D.

Try running a clean install of Mavericks on a external drive and see how does that run. I have heard of a lot of applications not updated for 10.9 are causing a lot of these problems so make sure all you critical software has been updated for 10.9.

Lastly in the new Apple SMB2 people have reported in some cases using cifs:// instead of smb:// helps. Plus another article called Connect to SMB & NAS Network Shares in OS X Mavericks.Can someone verify this in 10.9 with Microsoft shares?

Last edited:
Mail is a nightmare on Mavericks

What do you have? Something like 5 Gmail Accounts, a Domain account or multiple ISP accounts? I ask because Mail seems to work for me. I just realized that you add subtract account for Mail in System Preferences->Internet Account now.

Oddly enough, one of the problems I had with Mail was attachments (for several days), but miraculously this has resolved itself :)

I also find that if I type in the first few letters of an email address (which autofills perfectly), I now have to hit return before I can add other addresses for multiple distribution of the email. A bit weird. Not the end of the world admittedly, but a bit irritating.

BTW, I only use one account, i.e. Apple Mail.

Thanks for responding.

P.S. Once you tag a file or folder in Mavericks, you can't un-tag it. I am sure Apple will fix this soon.

Make sure you report this to Apple Feedback. I personally don't use tags, I guess I am not that organized. :eek:
Correction. You can untag a file or folder. If a file or folder is tagged click on the tag colour and a cross appears and that removes the tag.

By the way, I checked to see if Adobe CS3 products worked on Mavericks before upgrading from 10.8.5 and as far as I could ascertain they did, only to find that this is true except for Dreamweaver. I'm pretty annoyed that I upgraded now.

Ive updated to Maverick but i don't like it… Is there a way to go back to what i had?.. I am having problems with deleting bookmarks that
i don't need… but i don't know how to delete them from the maverick… I need help…If anyone can help me i would really appreciate it..
My Mac is a… Mac OS X…Version 10.7.5…I hope this information helps…
Thank You

Ive updated to Maverick but i don't like it… Is there a way to go back to what i had?.. I am having problems with deleting bookmarks that
i don't need… but i don't know how to delete them from the maverick… I need help…If anyone can help me i would really appreciate it..
My Mac is a… Mac OS X…Version 10.7.5…I hope this information helps…
Thank You

If you have Mac OS X, version 10.7.5, then you have not upgraded to Mavericks, which is currently at version 10.9.1.

I will assume that you WERE using 10.7.5 (Lion), and you upgraded to Mavericks. Is that correct?

Can you explain what you mean by "bookmarks"? Those are usually associated with browsers, and not the operating system in general.
If you are actually commenting about deleting "tags", which are for identifying specific files or folders in Mavericks, then that's a lot of this thread, isn't it? And, the consensus is that's one of the issues - the system doesn't allow tags to be removed as easily as they are applied, and most folks think that will be fixed in a coming update - maybe in 10.9.2. But, there's no assurance about that, and it's relevant that if YOU think that deleting tags is something that Apple needs to fix, then you should report that as a bug, like other folks do. Perhaps it will be fixed sooner, rather than later.

Back