The new OS X Mavericks

.....If you are actually commenting about deleting "tags", which are for identifying specific files or folders in Mavericks, then that's a lot of this thread, isn't it? And, the consensus is that's one of the issues - the system doesn't allow tags to be removed as easily as they are applied, and most folks think that will be fixed in a coming update - maybe in 10.9.2. But, there's no assurance about that, and it's relevant that if YOU think that deleting tags is something that Apple needs to fix, then you should report that as a bug, like other folks do. Perhaps it will be fixed sooner, rather than later.
See my comment further up the page.

I will just note that the current upgrade still has not fixed Mail and it runs slower than molasses on a glacier on Pluto which is still a planet despite what the Communists claim.

Why I clone before I upgrade.

--J.D.

Oh, Doctor X, it's not the communists claiming that Pluto ain't a planet, it's common sense! Look at how it behaves (very badly, very un-planetary) and how other ice rocks behave. It's that: An ice-rock.

But to the point: My Mavericks experience has been flawless. Mail.app behaves perfectly on both my iMac27" and my MBPr13", speed is certainly as good if not better than those machines ran 10.8.x... And I'm not a reinstaller anymore, either. My iMac's system was "migrated" from an older Hackintosh (10.5.x) to an iMac 24" (10.6.x, 10.7.x) to my current iMac 27" (10.7.x, updated to 10.8.x, updated to 10.9.x). No speed problems. In fact I've replaced its internal harddrive with a 1 TB SSD, so it's even faster now, but it was on 10.9 already at the time.

So your Mail client is communicating perfectly well with Hotmail and GMail? Not crashing repeatedly? If so, this is a unique circumstance given what my searches have found. Granted, I have not "tried it again" since the last "fix" given the blast of "Mail still FAIL" in the reviews.

When I have a few free hours I may try it again.

As for the rest:

51CmU1V8QPL._SS270_.jpg

hot_weird_funny_amazing_cool4_pluto-planet-1_200907302032157094.jpg

ripper200-6be468b10eaa256824b972a4dc6fcbaa67dae3fc-s6-c30.jpg

"I can no long sit back and allow. . . ."

--J. "HONK!" D.

So your Mail client is communicating perfectly well with Hotmail and GMail? Not crashing repeatedly? If so, this is a unique circumstance given what my searches have found. Granted, I have not "tried it again" since the last "fix" given the blast of "Mail still FAIL" in the reviews. When I have a few free hours I may try it again. As for the rest: "I can no long sit back and allow. . . ." --J. "HONK!" D.

I sure hoped you changed your password after Yahoo Mail Hacked:What do you do to tell you have been hacked.

Plus I hoped you headed the early advice of turning of all labels in Gmail Settings on the web to help 10.9 Mail. Lastly I found if you practice near inbox zero in Gmail it becomes so much faster. I know that goes against Gmail handling but that is not helpful to make to sync 2000 Inbox messages every single time. That is why I use the Archive box a lot more know because the IMAP Gmail server acts strange with Mail's expectation in receding IMAP email.

I do not believe I mentioned "Yahoo!"

Nevertheless, since you brought up Security. Another negative for Mavericks.

Plus I hoped you headed the early advice of turning of all labels in Gmail Settings on the web to help 10.9 Mail.

That had been done but, really, it should not have to be done. Such are annoying yes, but if a user likes them they should not have to disable them to get a basic program to work.

It is very simple: they had a program that worked fine in Snow Leopard, even Lion, Mountain Lion. They "upgraded" their OS and broke their basic program. Further, a user should not have to be a certified technical expert force to tweak a basic program in order for it to work.

But this does not explain the other slow-downs that even apologists mutter "fixes" and promises for which have not come. One cheerleader who demanded to know "Y U No Upgrade!" stopped responding to the flood of complaints . . . in February.

--J.D.

Doctor how MANY accounts do you use with Mail? GMAIL & Hotmail/Outlook Mail IMAPs? I ask because Mavericks Mail seems to have problems with more than two accounts & also older Mail plugins.

PS - Sorry about the Yahoo comment. I had many tabs open I because a little flustered, Sorry.

Doctor how MANY accounts do you use with Mail? GMAIL & Hotmail/Outlook Mail IMAPs? I ask because Mavericks Mail seems to have problems with more than two accounts & also older Mail plugins.

Currently have three total: two Gmail of which one is rarely ever used and one Hotmail.

PS - Sorry about the Yahoo comment. I had many tabs open I because a little flustered, Sorry.

Will just chalk that up to Communist Indocrination!
noid_zpsbcadd928.gif

--J. "HONK! HONK!" D.

Currently have three total: two Gmail of which one is rarely ever used and one Hotmail.

Well Hotmail is now Outlook: Microsoft Comp,tees Move. I guess you read the article Howto setup Mac Mail to use IMAP for Outlook.com. Also I have come across some tips on the net that warns that the new Exchange doesn't like email clients checking more than once every 10 minutes. So if you can help it have Mail not check email serves more than once for every 10 minutes.

Plus I will say it again especially in Gmail IMAP try real hard to practice Inbox Zero! In my observation Gmail IMAP acts so much better when I use the Archive function in Gmail instead of leaving my email in the Inbox. In my Mail it seems to so much better this way when using Gmail IMAP.

Last edited:
Well Hotmail is now Outlook: Microsoft Comp,tees Move. I guess you read the article. . . .

I read Your Mom™ [Stop that!--Ed.] Right . . . sorry, more seriously, yes but "it works now" without frelling up the system. And while it is "Outlook" it remains Hotmail to me and, let us be honest, it is all about me.

Unfortunately, I cannot afford to "test" an upgrade and playing with those systems for another month or so. Takes about a day to upgrade and play with the new system. If it sucks then I have to go back from a clone which takes time, wasting valuable lives.

One fear I have is that in upgrades a number of people have complained of loss of e-mails. Now, I can ultimately get around that by making sure Mail does not have the ability to delete mails on the web-based Gmail. I have it set to do that which is a convenient feature to keep things clean.

Also I have come across some tips on the net that warns that the new Exchange doesn't like email clients checking more than once every 10 minutes. So if you can help it have Mail not check email serves more than once for every 10 minutes.

I will remember that.

So . . . give me about two months and I will spend a weekend trying it out. When I upgrade, I clone everything first, but I also like to "try" a system for a number of days--for obvious reasons! Unless, of course, everything is crashing and slowing as it has hithertofore.

Until then: HONK!

--J.D.

Back