The Political Compass- Where are YOU?

brianleahy said:
Consider the questions: "A) Should we forbid X?" and "B) Should we permit X?"

The two have opposite meanings, so if 20% of people say "no" to A, then 20% should say "yes" to B.

But historically, this isn't what happens. In many cases, both questions make people want to answer "no", because in each case the wording suggests that the asker considers a "yes" answer to be shocking or scandalous.

Actually there's a large number of possibilities in between, depending on what X is.
- permit only a limited form of X
- permit part but not all of X
- don't permit X indiscriminately, don't ban it outright, but limit it.

So, for example, if X is "all narcotic drugs", probably a majority of people would answer "no" to both questions. They would probably consider different approaches appropriate for caffeine, alcohol, nicotine, pot, mushrooms, methamphetamines, whatever that mild mood-enhancer in chocolate is...

I for one would not feel I'd done that question justice if my answer were less than about a page of text. A single bit answer, forget it...

Economic Left/Right: 4.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.77

Go figure a Libertarian Capitalist

I'm just happy to far away from the likes of Hussein & Stalin.

Actually there's a large number of possibilities in between, depending on what X is.

That's certainly true. My point was just that the wording of a question can have a somewhat spurious influence on the answers - but it's also true that questions on a survey may cast an issue as black and white, when in fact it's a very gray area.

Economic Left/Right: -6.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.85

I'm in the same boat as MDLarson. I thought I'd be a little more conservative.

lol. It's okay, Randman, most people don't know they're liberals. That's why "liberal" has been so easily made a bad word in the US.

Economic Left/Right: -4.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.38

I thought some of the questions were badly worded. Like the ones that said along the lines of "Should the rights of corperations be held above the rights of citizens?". You're taking that test as a citizen, so why would you answer any other way? They kind of through the test off a little to the left.

I'm almost right where Ghandi is. I also find it interesting that Bush is almost exactly where Thatcher is.

Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.64

Had a real hard time answering some of the questions. As others have pointed out the questions in these kind of things are often skewed and it's hard to answer with a simple negative/positive response. Sometime there are more than 2 possibilities to a situation so a simple pick 'a' or 'b' is no good - I want to pick 'c'!

That said, seems I'm more right wing than you bunch of ivory tower, liberal, fence sitting middle of the roaders. ;o)

I find it interesting that there is no one on the part of the compass that I ended up in. Everywhere else there are loads of example of famous people. yet my bit is empty.

There must be someone in that bottom right hand corner! Can anyone suggest somebody???

I feel your frustration at some of those questions goynang.But since you find yourself at a position on the chart where no else is maybe you should run for office.Who knows you may start a new movement,then everything you ever said on here may come back to haunt you.:eek:

Now, now, we middle of the roaders aren't sitting on any fences... we're out there directing traffic :D

What got to me was a couple of questions asked you to express, not your opinions of certain activities, but what the reality is.

I can't exactly remember the question, but there was one that was something like "International corporations are illegally exploiting African nations by (doing something nasty, I forget what - dumping pollutants, maybe?) (Y) (N)"

Well, how should I know? What am I, an investigative journalist with a month-long expense account and a driver and interpreter to take me around Nigerian villages and negotiate bribes for the cops? I tried not answering that one, but it wouldn't let me continue...

My wife is:
Economic Left/Right: -0.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.31

I guess we're pretty compatible on the political front! :)

There must be someone in that bottom right hand corner! Can anyone suggest somebody???

Tchaikovsky.

http://www.digitalronin.f2s.com/politicalcompass/composers.html

You're not, by chance, a writer of music, are you?

Also, note the following text from the results page:

The usual understanding of anarchism as a left wing ideology does not take into account the neo-liberal "anarchism" championed by the likes of Ayn Rand, Milton Friedman and America's Libertarian Party, which couples law of the jungle right-wing economics with liberal positions on most social issues.

Attached is my plot. I really don't know what to make of it.

Attachments

• Picture 3.jpg
    Picture 3.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 15
My kids and colleagues would never have put me where this test decided I should be !

I was trying to be funny, sorry. What your graph shows is you are left of center but believe your government should be involved in a lot of people's daily lives because of being left of center with a strong leaning toward Authority/Goverment. If you think about, Bush's graph would look like yours, but on the right side of the center line.

My graph shows that I am almost center (independent political thinker)thinker on the Western political scale. I think most politicians are nut jobs at best.

I'm in the position almost exactly opposite Bush. That does not surprise me. I'm close to where they put the Dalai Lama. That surprised me a little, actually, but in a good way. :)

P.S.: I was wondering how this thread got so big without me ever noticing it. Then I realized that the first 4 pages are from 2004!

Back