Virtual OS program problems

Newber

Registered
I have a Power Book G4 17" with Leopard 10.5.4 and I'm having problems getting ANY virtual OS program to work, or even work on the architecture of my OS. Does anyone have any clues or could help me get one working?
I tried downloading the VMWare 2.0 beta, but it didn't work at all. I got the circle with the line across when I opened the folder.

Thank you.

What does that mean? Does VirtualPC launch? Does it give you any error messages? Please explain what you mean by that in greater detail.

on all of the crossover programs; Crossover, Boot Camp, Virtual Desktop PC, etc. they are all not supported by the architecture (I keep getting a circle with a line across on ALL of them).

Virtual PC ...
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/6078/virtual-pc

does in fact work on my 15" G4 PowerBook running Leopard 10.5.4, and it runs surprising well considering.
I run a copy of Windows 98 under VPC just so my wife can view and use a Windows only Garden specific CD program.

jb.

getting close, I tried it out and it says that Virtual PC isn't installed so I can't put in VPC 7. Can anyone tell me or have a link to where I can get the original one... I'm guessing if I get that I'll be fine.

getting close, I tried it out and it says that Virtual PC isn't installed so I can't put in VPC 7. Can anyone tell me or have a link to where I can get the original one... I'm guessing if I get that I'll be fine.
So you have a VPC 7 updater! You must have the VPC 7 application installed before the updater will work. It is part of the Office 2004 Professional suite. It is also available as a standalone shrinkwrap application. However, it does not appear to be part of Microsoft's inventory. Perhaps, you should scour eBay for a copy.

thanks all, got VPC 7 installed and it's working fine, waiting on my brother to fork up the a Windows OS so I can put this thing to the test.

??
I thought you were going back to Tiger from Leopard?
If you have VPC working now, why would you now retreat to Tiger?

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it !"

??
I thought you were going back to Tiger from Leopard?
If you have VPC working now, why would you now retreat to Tiger?

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it !"

Leopard is for intel, imo, if you don't have it on your comp, it's useless.

You are quite misinformed - Leopard is running perfectly on both my G4 MDD Powermac and my G4 Powerbook, and has been since the initial install on both.

I apologize I'm new to all this really. I used to have Tiger but I don't anymore. With Leopard, some of the apps that I want to install won't due to the OS.

If you could state the specific apps that won't run, we could possibly point you to upgraded versions or troubleshoot the problem... without knowing what they are, though, we're quite in the dark and can't be of much help.

so far it was pretty much the Virtualizing programs. All but Virtual PC, the rest I needed an intel Mac. There's also apps such as PuTTY ( I can't find a 10.5.4 version) which I cannot run (it says you can put it on a Mac but I'm not sure if they mean for an intel or not). If I run into some other programs, I will post here (I don't like making a whole bunch of threads).

Thank you for all your help, I know I will be having more to come.

If you need an SSH client for Mac OS X, it already comes with the OpenSSH client which can be accessed from Terminal (this is also the case in GNU/Linux and the BSDs). So unless you need a GUI for SSH access, the OpenSSH client should be sufficient.

Do you know of any got sites that have a detailed explanation of how SSH works. I have a friend that is having me work with (trying) PuTTY/programs like it. I have iSSH, but not really familiar on how to use it.

Back