What conclusions do you reach from avatars?

bighairydog

tail-wagging member
Just wondering, on this board we all chat and interact as if we were in a room, but all we see (apart from in that notorious 'post a picture' thread) is our avatars. So that got me thinking – what conclusions do we draw from each other’s avatars? And even worse – what conclusions do people draw about me from mine?

Here’s some prejudices I have drawn – no offence intended here, I’m going by the avatar not by the exchanges we’ve had :eek:)
  • Ed: Ex multinational rock ‘n’ roll singer, now lives in a large house painted in psychedelic colours, with a Jacuzzi in the back garden.
  • symphonix: soft and cuddly promotional toy, of the kind that you collect tokens and get *FREE!* For a mere £20 packaging and postage.
  • scruffy: kindly uncle-like figure, respected by all the other forest animals, who has adopted a human child to bring him up in the ways of the wild.
  • Lessthanallmighty: Builder.
  • xoot, divibisan, 2Blings: High on aqua ;o)
  • wdw_: very highly schizophrenic.
  • kenny: god
  • twyg: wise owl turned popsicle turned anime superhero.
  • vanguard: Lazy, work-shy layabout engineer, and my owner’s co-worker.
  • gamedog00, Leonis and others with no avatar: non-corporeal entities whose words are not typed by humans, but arise as emergent order from entropy circling the internet

Thoughts people?

Bernie :eek:)

Just out of curiosity, what prejudices do you draw from my avatar, seeing as it is a real picture of me? Use blacklight and It'll turn up fine ;)

It's Dogbert, from the Dilbert strip, yes. Which is why I think of bighairydog taking over the world. I don't read Dilbert much, but that's what I remember of Dogbert.

mine is icon of coil's logo

i think i'm gonna change it back to the dark angel i used to have tho

in fact, i think i'll do it now

Well, z4ph0d I see you as a worker in a photographic laboratory, who one day was bitten by a radioactive spider and turned into [cue fanfare] *Negative Man™*! Then on reconstruction of your image in Photoshop (bastard – I had to boot classic for that ;o) I discovered that you are in actual fact an actor from the mini-series “ABBA – the early years”. (don’t take offence – ABBA kick ass :eek:) I probably would use a photo as an avatar, but I posted one in the post a picture thread and people got scared.

Boyko I see you as a character not entirely dissimilar in appearance to Salvador Dali, with imminent plans for world domination, scripted to end in “hilarious results”. Available on FOX TV and syndicated to all Rupert Murdoch owned broadcasters and across the third world by the Budget Dubbing Corporation.

Hope that has been enlightening... BTW, feel free to call me Bernie on these boards.

Bernie :eek:)

Thanks for including my name on there ;)

My old one was the Terminal icon with "xoot" on it. But I decided to make it look cooler. I love the Aqua interface. So I made an avatar based on it. :D

holly son of a gun no one has mentioned me yet :eek:

I dont know if I should be offended or flattered :p

The only thing that sticks in my head is the name HERVE ... and his avatar of course....what does it mean?!

Admiral
PS: where IS herve ?!?!?!

I'm sure the only thing that a person can get from my avatar is that I am an avid Mac user (close to a Mac zealot :) ), and that I hate Microsoft. :)

The only thing I get from avatars is a reaction. Specifically annoying reactions. wdw_'s icon (no offense) and maybe TommyWillB (no offense, again) really annoy me because they change all the time, and so that quality is kind of transferred to my perception of the actual person (like I said, no offense, I'm just telling you what stereotypes I get).

I can't say that I have any other strong reactions from avatars. Most of the others I just look at and think, "Hm! That's a kind of cool avatar," or "That avatar looks kind of ugly." I don't really transfer the qualities of any avatars to the actual person except for the really annoying cycling ones (sorry wdw_ and TommyWillB ;) ).

Hey Admirak AK, for as long as I've been here, your avatar has always been the little BSD devil... was it ever anything else? If so, what?

Also deserving of a commendation is Jadey's anime-chick-with-green-hair - my favourite. :D

As for Ed, I kind of get an image of the Kramer from Seinfeld saying "She said I was a hipster dufus! Me! A hipster dufus!" ;)
No, actually I really identify with Ed's. He seems to be the creative type. Ed: was that done with a Wacom, it reminds me of the sort of stuff I used to do when I had a Wacom ... damn, I miss my Wacom. Now I'm just using old fashioned paper and paints.

My monkey has a striking resemblance to me, especially now I am a student and am growing a goatee beard. Also, I used to do a lot of puppeteering and made my own puppets, but that was some time ago.

I think Herve's new guitarist thing is pretty cool - do we have to change the logo on the "Herve-o-lator" program now?

I really don't wanna know what people think of my avater....

I am a set of strokes tossing myself of a cliff and watching me fall to death until I am tossed from a cliff to watch myself fall to death until....

Back