What Do You Think of the new iPods?

the iPod Touch is a turd.

add email app and we'll talk. Add maps and notes, too, and I'll give you my credit card details.

I'm betting that someone will find a way to copy the applications from the iPhone to the iPod Touch. They're basically the same thing so I don't see why it can't be possible. Also, the screen is the same glass I believe as the iPhone and it has been proven to be pretty resistant to scratches.

The iPod Classics do use a 1.8" HD and the 160GB is as big as they come.
http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/09/05/toshiba/index.php

I'd go for the iPod touch 8 GB then, if that's the one you can afford. Both 8 and 16 GB will feel restrictive if you have a growing media archive. (And believe me: Owning an iPod makes it seem growing ever faster...) But once you've accepted that not _all_ of your media fits on that iPod, you can set up lists that work for you. The screen, I hear, is really worth it considering video. Plus: You don't want to watch the same ten movies over and over again, right? You'll watch the ones you haven't watched yet, mostly. So the ones you've _already_ watched don't have to reside on the iPod necessarily.

Organizing media is a very personal matter. Currently my portable media archive has a size of around 17 GB. Often I am unsure what song or what video file I want to listen to or watch. Usually then, I remember stuff I didn't listen to for weeks but which would fit my current mood perfectly - and I always have these things on my fingertips with my generation 5 iPod. To sum it up, I hate micromanaging my media files - which defeats the purpose of a mediaplayer -, or waste valuable time on questions like: "What do I want to listen tomorrow?" Heck, I don't know. While I would love to purchase the iPod touch now, I will wait for the inevitable 30GB version ;)

I don't see why they couldn't put a 200 gb or 250 gb hard drive in the classic.

160gb is the highest capacity a 1.8" disk (ipod size) comes in, it was actually released only about 2 weeks ago. before that, 120gb was the biggest.

next size up is 2.5", which goes to about 200gb i think, and that's archos-size brick size.

Mario8672,

Thanks, good point. That is what I'm wondering about but I read on some review that you could use a partial remote control that allows you to rewind, fast forward and pause but it's something you have to buy extra maybe. Can't remember where I read this.

Also wondered about the scratches.

S.

the apple radio-remote for £30 will do that job.

Lt Major Burns,

Thanks, I just noticed that looking on the Apple site yesterday and saw it works with the nano. I'd like radio with my iPod anyway so that would be nice.

S.

Organizing media is a very personal matter. Currently my portable media archive has a size of around 17 GB. Often I am unsure what song or what video file I want to listen to or watch. Usually then, I remember stuff I didn't listen to for weeks but which would fit my current mood perfectly - and I always have these things on my fingertips with my generation 5 iPod. To sum it up, I hate micromanaging my media files - which defeats the purpose of a mediaplayer -, or waste valuable time on questions like: "What do I want to listen tomorrow?" Heck, I don't know. While I would love to purchase the iPod touch now, I will wait for the inevitable 30GB version ;)

Ifrit,

Thanks for your thoughts. Yes, that is what I'm trying figure out. My itunes is about 16 GB now in size but I don't listen to all of it. The iPod Classic would be perfect for my itunes now and then I could put tonnes of videos on there. The problem is I'm lured by the cuteness of the nano and the price of course and the cool factor of the iPod touch. The thing is I'll shoot myself if I buy the iPod Touch now and it gets a lot bigger. So I'm thinking I may go the route of the nano or classic but I think the best value for my money would be the classic considering storage.

S.

It is a bit of a hassle to use. You have to grab it out of your pocket, "unlock" it, find out where you are in the GUI and touch a bunch of things to get where you wanna go. It's a good device when you're sitting down, but if you're on the go and walking, it's really tedious. Wouldn't the screen get scratched within a week of regular usage?

I find it funny how you just described every iPod released to date with the exception of the Shuffle.

nah all the ipods with clickwheels you can do most things through denim, even change volume if you've got the skillz.

I just meant deciding between the 8 and 16 GB version didn't matter that much, because sooner or later you'd be micromanaging on _both_ devices - and once you are, the difference just isn't that important anymore. (Not 100$ important to me at least.)

However: Managing it can be fun. You can create a, say, 2 GB "basic" music list containing only songs that you really like to listen to on a regular basis. Then create a smartlist with, say 500 MB of the music most recently added (iTunes can do that, right?). So you have your basics (which you might want to change in a year or two) plus automatically the newest stuff, which is of importance _now_ but might fade into oblivion over time.
With video: Just let it synch the stuff you haven't seen yet.

My only problem is, I do Apple Lossless which takes up alot of space, so when my library that used to be 4gb is now 10gb.

Everybody heard that Apple's been further crippling the iPod touch when compared to its cousin, the iPhone? No adding contacts or calendar items on the iPod, "since it is an iPod", probably. So no notes, no Mail.app, no real PIM... If you want those, you have to either wait for hacks or get an iPhone instead (which isn't internationally available). Gosh, Apple, grow up already...

I don't agree with your analysis. I don't think Apple is afraid to attack the iPhone with the iPod touch. If Apple can get 20M iPod touch instead of 5M iPod touch and 10M iPhone, it will.

Apple is a large company and it is #1 in some markets. It's only way to remain #1 in these agressive markets is to attack its own products with new products before others do so.

However: Managing it can be fun. You can create a, say, 2 GB "basic" music list containing only songs that you really like to listen to on a regular basis. Then create a smartlist with, say 500 MB of the music most recently added (iTunes can do that, right?). So you have your basics (which you might want to change in a year or two) plus automatically the newest stuff, which is of importance _now_ but might fade into oblivion over time.
With video: Just let it synch the stuff you haven't seen yet.

fryke,

Thanks, you have given me a great idea. I don't know the ins and outs of itunes with an iPod since I haven't owned one but that's a great idea to have a basic list and then a newer one with recent music. Also I'm assuming as you add songs it tells you at the bottom how big your library is getting as I can go in now and see I have 15 GB of music I've collected over the years.

For me, having a 30 GB model would be perfect I think. I don't think I'll ever use 80 GB of space but then again maybe I will. The Nano seems really cool though with all it's new features.

S.

Everybody heard that Apple's been further crippling the iPod touch when compared to its cousin, the iPhone? No adding contacts or calendar items on the iPod, "since it is an iPod", probably. So no notes, no Mail.app, no real PIM... If you want those, you have to either wait for hacks or get an iPhone instead (which isn't internationally available). Gosh, Apple, grow up already...

fryke,

I heard that Notes is available on the iPod Nano but not the Touch. Don't know if it's on the classic or not.

S.

I don't agree with your analysis. I don't think Apple is afraid to attack the iPhone with the iPod touch. If Apple can get 20M iPod touch instead of 5M iPod touch and 10M iPhone, it will.

Apple is a large company and it is #1 in some markets. It's only way to remain #1 in these agressive markets is to attack its own products with new products before others do so.

What analysis? You mean they actually _will_ release Mail.app and full iCal/Notes functionality on the iPod touch? Then why bother to remove it first? I'm with you and say: Let the iPod eat into iPhone's sales - but I guess Apple thinks "different" here: They already _have_ the music player market. They're after the highend mobile phone market now. And if one reason to buy an iPhone is that it's an iPod touch with more features, then that's one more for their book.

You really shouldn't get upset. You obviously understand why the iPod touch is the way it is. There will inexorably be hacks to get Notes, Mail.app, and iChat onto the iPod touch -just like there is using an iPhone without an SIM card-.

Back