what happened to VirtualPC7?

fryke said:
... Then again, while VPC's speed increases if you move to a faster Mac, such a card wouldn't. It'd be old quite fast - and you wouldn't maybe want to upgrade that with every new Mac you're buying...
Don't you think it would be several PPC generations before VPC would run at speeds equivalent to a decent PC? So it wouldn't get old quite as fast as you may think. What's the equivalent PC performance of VPC on current Mac hardware?

You're right. However: Even those PC emulator cards won't reach any 'real' speeds, since they're using a slower bus rather than being a 'real' motherboard and also have to share some components with the Mac unless you want to make that card really big (or two cards...). Anyway: Even the card solution doesn't give you a really _good_ PC inside your Mac. People who need that are still better off buying a cheap PC notebook or a cheap PC extra. Also helps as a secondary computer should your Mac ever need a repair or something... So I guess the card would just be a 'middle' solution people won't want to spend real money for...

Ok, here is a small review.

Performance: Better... At least on my 800mhz G4. Graphics redraw faster, just seems quicker overall.

Features: No real change. There is a CPU usage meter now, but everything else was there already I think.

Unfortunately, I ran into one problem. I converted my VP6 drive over to VP7 (yes you have to convert it), ran with it for a while fine, but when I did a windows update (Win2k) it no longer worked. So my "drive" is now screwed. I will reinstall sometime soon, and let you guys know if the problem still occurs.

But for right now, VP7 is an inprovement, not great, but an improvement (15-25%?)

My Quick Review:

DAMN! This is awesome. ;)

Honestly, Virtual PC was always a novelty for me. I had it installed, I had my disk image with XP on it and at time attempted to make it my main system for Stamps.com and some other software that is Windows only that I run on a very infrequent basis. However, VPC6 and earlier, just too slow. My Dell P4 1.6ghz was my system of choice for those applications and needs.

So, I convered my image over to VPC7 and DUDE, forget my Dell. You know, 30% improvement doesn't sound all that much. But it really is.

Here is what I think they did. I think screen re-draws are up 100% or more. When the system displays pages and redraws, there might be a delay (only 30% speed improvement) but when it shows it, WHAM, it's on the screen. So, although it is running slower, the over-all experience is that it is signficantly faster. This can be very good on the brain.

Everything I have tested has worked like a champ. In fact, Im typing this on VPC7! Although, I haven't upgraded to SP2 cause I heard that VPC7 didn't like it. Will save that for a rainy day.

Does it replace my Dell? Absolutely not. But, I'd REALLY like to see this on a G5 machine. For those who care, I'm on a G4 1GHZ, 17" Flat-Panel iMac.

In conclusion, maybe it was the past experience with VPC that I really didn't have any hopes of having a usable virtual pc on my Mac, especially my 'slow' one. But, my expectations, although at the very bottom, where greatly exceeded.

VPC7 likes SP2 very well. In fact they have waited for SP2 to be released in order to finish VPC7 with Windows XP SP2. Runs like a champ here. _Not_ installing SP2 just opens you to security threats...

But: Yes, absolutely, VPC7 (installed only three days ago) is responsive enough to allow for small amounts of work on my system (PB G4 1.33), too.

That sounds really really cool. Is there an education version for VPC 7 or is there a cheap upgrade from VPC 6?

Viro said:
That sounds really really cool. Is there an education version for VPC 7 or is there a cheap upgrade from VPC 6?
Viro,

The Upgrade version to move from VPC 6 -> VPC 7 goes for $ 99, but it is not out yet, you can pre-order it, however. I am not sure if there is an academic version, but since it is MS, I doubt it, but what do I know...?

What do you mean 'since it is MS'? MS does, for example, quite a successful education version of Office...

fryke said:
What do you mean 'since it is MS'? MS does, for example, quite a successful education version of Office...

What I meant was that since it is MS that the Apple Store would not offer an Academic/Educational price (although they might - I don't know)... Based on what I've seen it does not appear that that MS has an educational version proper, but maybe they will in the near future.

Cheers,
T

Back