What's your opinion about Macwarez?!

Not enough time to read the entire thread, but I'd like to state that I think that the Omni Group is an excellent example of hpw a software company should be run. An option to buy all products, but they don't annoy you incessantly, their are limitations, but you can aquire free licenses to make a demo full feautred for one day. You can have as many trial lisences as you wish.

Everything is fair.;)

Hehe... glad to do some service here on these forums, even if it is only correcting pronunciation. ;)

...and you can trust a Texas boy better than you can trust most others, Ed! ;) Contrary to popular belief (and much heckling and joking when I lived in New York when I was young) I DON'T live on a ranch, I DON'T own a horse, I DON'T "round-up" cattle for a living, I DO know what tennis shoes are, and I DON'T roll my own cigarettes... well, most of the time I don't... :p AND -- I don't have a southern accent. I live in San Antonio -- we DO have electricity and the internet as of recently... :)

At any rate... since this thread has lost its "vivaciousness" and we seem to just be sitting around waiting for another person to interject their opinion on "warez," I can, in the meantime, offer my memory of how "warez" used to be... anyone remember dial-up BBSs? Man, those were the days... I remember getting my first copy of ProComm Plus off of one of those (The Chess Board BBS, I think -- that sucker was ALWAYS busy!) and not even knowing the difference between shareware/freeware and a copyrighted piece of software. I also remember the first time I saw and downloaded the PC game "Rampage," and then seeing it in Babbage's the next day -- boy was I excited that I saved $50! Of course, my view on all this has changed dramatically since then...

Anyone remember the company Apogee? I forget the popular game they made back then... I believe it was Duke Nuke'm before he turned into a first-person shooter. In those days it was ALL side-scrolling. Remember the game "Rise of the Triad?" It was one of the first first-person shooters out there -- it came about before first-person shooters were as stupidly popular as they are now...

I think people should try to come up with solutions to this problem. it doesn't sound like anyone is particularly happy with the Software Company(Music Industry)/Consumer relationship.

There was an interesting article in Wired magazine a while back. The gist of it was that the average joe would have music, video, or whatever on his machine, available to the public (Just like Carracho.) But, the person would get a commmision every time someone downloaded the stuff from him and purchased it. This gives the person who's putting the stuff online incentive to get the people who are downloading from him to pay up, and it takes the cost of distribution down. It's a little sketchy in my head but it was several months ago that I read the article.

It just seems to me that our entire economic model needs to change because of the fact that you can now make perfect duplicates of copyrighted material. Of course, people have always had the ability to copy books or tape things, but there was always a great deal of work or degradation of quality involved in those processes.

I am of the opinion that any encryption or copy protection can be cracked, so the way that these files are passed around and the way that you pay for them needs to change.

I don't think this thread should die.

Well, here's a solution I presented a while back, and I think the software industry is slowly moving towards something similar to this. We all know that certain programs REQUIRE you to have internet access, or at the very least, a modem intalled in your computer to activate the software... WinXP, for example... it doesn't exactly REQUIRE you to activate over the internet, but the alternative is hellish at best.

Well, I forsee companies no longer having the actual application reside on the consumer's hard drive. I see a "networked" application scheme coming of age, where the actual companies "serve" the application to the consumer over the internet, and in order for the customer to connect to the server, they must provide a user/pass combo or a license key or something like that... this way, you can't freely pass around a copy of a software program with a license key or serial number and duplicate it infinitely many times...

I like that idea, but there are definitely many issueswith it. Personally I don't want to have to depend on comcast to be up for me to work. It would also eat up considerable bandwidth. It would probably also be slow (loading especially.)

Well, I doubt we'll be seeing that technology emerge as the dominant method as long as the majority of people out there still are dialing up over 56k modems. I think WinXP's internet activation scheme is a step in that direction. It WILL take some adapting, and it will be in baby steps -- perhaps CDs will be sold, but will not run unless you're connected to the internet and have been "licensed" in real-time over the internet to use it at that time.

I'd bet a lot of money that eventually, applications and the internet will be so intertwined that we'll barely be able to see the difference. Instead of emailing an Excel file to a co-worker, you'll simply choose "Share data with recipient" from Excel, and your Excel programs will hook up to each other real-time over the internet and collaborate that way...

I went to Apogee.com, and it seems that Apogee software is now a Java/C++ compiler software company. I think they were bought out by id Software or someone... dunno.

Hmm. It took Adobe about 12 months to deliver Photoshop for OS X after OS X was out. Maybe all licenses should use Photoshop 7 without paying the upgrade fee for about, say, a year?

Maybe they'd learn something. ;)

WE'VE REACHED 20 PAGES!!! LET'S GO ON!!!

Thankx guys :D

This is for you guys:
116goud.jpg

---
AppleWatcher ;)

Originally posted by fryke
Hmm. It took Adobe about 12 months to deliver Photoshop for OS X after OS X was out. Maybe all licenses should use Photoshop 7 without paying the upgrade fee for about, say, a year?

Maybe they'd learn something. ;)

Ok -- and I'm not ragging on you or being mean or anything (or at least I'm not trying!) but this is what I disagree with. I know that OS X has been out for a while -- and it is radically different and therefore was left with little application support in the beginning... but it IS new -- and we're adopting OS X faster than the PC users did when Windows 95 came out. Remember... it took longer than 2 years for some Windows software makers to write their stuff so that it'd run stably under Win95!

Adobe made sure PhotoShop would run like an OS X application SHOULD run -- stable and fast. And if it took them 1 year to do it, kudos to them! This whole "transition to OS X" thing has been pretty f'ing smooth, wouldn't you think? Compared to what you COULD have gone through? Yet people STILL expect softwre companies to get something out the door yesterday... I think we've had it good, people, and I don't think we have ANY right in the world to EXPECT software companies to do any more than they are -- they're doing us right, and instead of pirating their damn software and imitating some stupid PeeCee user, let's all do the right thing and give the Mac, OS X, and the software developers a round of applause and our consideration!

When Apple introduced the iPod, the company was aware that people might use it to rip off music from the Net or friends' machines. Each new iPod, in fact, is emblazoned with a sticker that warns, "Don't Steal Music."

But it is unlikely that Apple imagined people would walk into computer stores, plug their iPod into display computers and use it to copy software off the hard drives.

This is exactly the scenario recently witnessed by Kevin Webb at a Dallas CompUSA store.

Webb, a computer consultant from Dallas, was browsing his local CompUSA when he saw a young man walk toward him listening to an iPod. Webb recognized the iPod's distinctive ear buds.

The teenager stopped at a nearby display Macintosh, pulled the iPod from his pocket and plugged it into the machine with a FireWire cable. Intrigued, Webb peeped over the kid's shoulder to see him copying Microsoft's new Office for OS X suite, which retails for $500.

When the iPod is plugged into a Macintosh, its icon automatically pops up on the desktop. To copy software, all the kid had to do was drag and drop files onto the iPod's icon. Office for MacOS X is about 200 MB; it copies to the iPod's hard drive in less than a minute.

"Watching him, it dawned on me that this was something that was very easy to do," Webb said. "In the Mac world it's pretty easy to plug in and copy things. It's a lot easier than stealing the box."

Webb watched the teenager copy a couple of other applications. He left the kid to find a CompUSA employee. "I went over and told a CompUSA guy, but he looked at me like I was clueless," Webb said.

Unsure whether the kid was a thief or an out-of-uniform employee, Webb watched as he left the store. "I thought there's no point in getting any more involved in this imbroglio," Webb said. "Besides, this is Texas. You never know what he might have been carrying."

CompUSA representatives didn't respond to requests for comment. Neither did Apple officials.

The iPod is perfect for virtual shoplifting. It is designed as a digital music player, but its roomy 5-GB hard drive can be used as portable storage for all kinds of files, even the Macintosh operating system. In fact, it can operate as an external drive, booting up a machine and running applications.

The iPod's FireWire interface -- one of its most important but undersold features -- allows huge files to be copied in seconds. The iPod doesn't even have to leave the user's pocket.

And while the iPod has a built-in anti-piracy mechanism that prevents music files from being copied from one computer to another, it has no such protections for software.

Ironically, Microsoft has pioneered an easy-to-use installation scheme on the Mac that makes its Mac software relatively easy to pilfer. The company is known for its sometimes heavy-handed, anti-piracy mechanisms in such products as Windows XP.

When installing Office, users simply drag and drop the Office folder to their hard drive. Everything is included, including a self-repair mechanism that replaces critical files in the system folder.

By contrast, a lot of software on the Windows platform relies on a bunch of system files that are only installed during an installation process. Simply copying an application from one machine to another will not work.

Plus, getting a copy of the software application is only half the battle: most software won't work without a registration number. Usable serial numbers, however, are readily available on Usenet, IRC, Hotline and applications like Hacks and Cracks.

"This is the first we have heard of this form of piracy," said Erik Ryan, a Microsoft product manager. "And while this is a possibility, people should be reminded that this is considered theft."

While the iPod may be ideal for a software-stealing spree, there are a number of other devices on the market that could also be used by virtual shoplifters. As well as any external FireWire drive, there are now a number of tiny key-chain drives that plug into computers' USB ports, like M-Systems' DiskOnKey and Trek2000's ThumbDrive.

Most key-chain drives work with both Macs and PCs. Some are available with up to one gigabyte of storage space. However, most USB ports are a lot slower than FireWire, requiring the virtual shoplifter to hang around while the ill-gotten gains are transferring.

CompUSA and other computer stores could take a few simple steps to prevent software from being copied, said Mac expert Dave Horrigan, who writes a syndicated Macintosh column.

Any Mac can easily be configured to allow changes only by administrators, he said. Also, a system profile tool logs all peripheral equipment, but it must be running to log an iPod. For Macs running OS X, a locked dummy file in an application's package will protect the entire file from being copied without a password.

But Horrigan didn't think the iPod presents a serious piracy threat to Microsoft, and doubted the company would take special measures to prevent in-store copying.

"If Microsoft puts in protection it almost always screws up and causes problems for them or their legit users," he said.

Dennis Lloyd, publisher of iPod fan site iPodlounge, also said this is the first time he'd heard of an iPod put to such use.

"I can see how easy it would be to do," he said. "It's a shame someone has stooped this low to bring bad press to the insanely great iPod."
---------

So warez on iPod is an option, too :D

AppleWatcher

so herve, where is your music and software. you know i'm willing to help make you a happy man:)

public class Imac
{
public static void main(String[] args)
{
System.out.print("Imac\n\n");
System.out.print("computer: 43490 BEF\n");
int ic = 43490;
System.out.print("diskettedrijf: 3999 BEF\n\n");
int dd = 3999;
System.out.print("totaal: ");
System.out.print(ic + dd);
System.out.print(" BEF\n\n");
System.out.print("Ericom Pentium4\n\n");
System.out.print("processor + geheugen: 42000 BEF\n");
int pg = 42000;
System.out.print("moederbord: 19600 BEF\n\n");
int mb = 19600;
System.out.print("totaal: ");
System.out.print(pg + mb);
System.out.print(" BEF");
}
}

I don't use much on my iMac. It's running OS 8.6, it's all kind of long in the tooth... All the software I use is either:

Free
Paid-for shareware
Came with the Mac / Printer / Scanner
Demo software

The last apps I bought were:

- NewsHopper (HOW old?!?)
This software cost me £50, and a few months later the author stopped developing due to illness. So I have one useless app dating back from my Mac Classic days. I used to love offline news reading... but I'm wary of paying again for such an application (e.g. Hogwash).

- Anarchie - I paid for this twice with its various upgrades over the years...

... Then I paid for the upgrade to Interarchy...

... Then Stairways Software automatically upgraded me to v5.0 of Interarchy and demanded another fee so that I could use it. This bugs the hell out of me, so I refuse to use it any more. When I asked for version 4.0 back (for which I had a valid licence), Stairways ignored me. So stuff them.

This last episode especially means that I do understand why some people use warez when they get "bitten" like this, but of course I can't condone it ;)

Moving on, the whole "try before you buy" notion is a good one IMHO.

If more manufacturers made free, fully-functional but time-limited versions of their key applications, then this would be good for everyone: students can learn how to use them; people for whom the £££ outlay is large (e.g. me and Dreamweaver or whatever)can check they could really use the software, and manufacturers widen their potential customer base.

And oh yeah, teeny nerds get to learn to hack :D

I bought the Vicomsoft SurfDoubler for OS 9 several months ago, when I didn't have any desktop computers running OS X. It cost me around 50-60 $, I think. Now they are selling the same app for OS X for 150 $, but without the 3-user limit, with no way to upgrade from the OS 9 version, although they said they would make a "lite" version for OS X too. If OS X didn't have built-in routing capabilities, I'd seriously consider stealing that app...
I can't understand how they get customers at all, when a hardware router costs the half, and routing through OS X is free, easier, and much faster...

Back