Where are you?

I've taken note. But one can always go bananas from time to time. No?
Many thanks chemistry_geek for the scientific angle.

Hey, everyone ... I am James Day and am located in northeast Louisiana .. a town called Bastrop. (Try typing that and check it will SpellCheck!!)

Also, since I found no other place to do so, I would like to say hi to everyone. I just joined a few minutes ago.

My daughter was required to have a Mac to start college and I am completely Mac ignorant. After getting over the sticker shock of the laptop, I have many, many questions. She asks me for help, but without researching it first, I am unable to answer. I don't like feeling useless!!

I am searching the forums now for answers to some before I post and have found some replies to a question about .dmg files. (my god, even the answers confuse me!!! lol)

Take care all,
James

Welcome to the forums, jdday. :)

Feel free to ask away, using the relevant forums, and you'll find people are happy to help.

Don't worry, it will be a bit of a culture shock adjusting to the Mac if you have no previous experience, but you'll soon find yourself picking things up as you go along!

Hey, everyone ... I am James Day and am located in northeast Louisiana .. a town called Bastrop. (Try typing that and check it will SpellCheck!!)

Also, since I found no other place to do so, I would like to say hi to everyone. I just joined a few minutes ago.

My daughter was required to have a Mac to start college and I am completely Mac ignorant. After getting over the sticker shock of the laptop, I have many, many questions. She asks me for help, but without researching it first, I am unable to answer. I don't like feeling useless!!

I am searching the forums now for answers to some before I post and have found some replies to a question about .dmg files. (my god, even the answers confuse me!!! lol)

Take care all,
James

A great, easy to read and informative book by the New York Times reporter David Pogue called Switching to the Mac: The Missing Manual, Tiger Edition. You can pick it up at most any big book box store (if it has a computer section).

Welcome to the forums, jdday. :)

Feel free to ask away, using the relevant forums, and you'll find people are happy to help.

Don't worry, it will be a bit of a culture shock adjusting to the Mac if you have no previous experience, but you'll soon find yourself picking things up as you go along!

bbloke,

Thanks for the welcome. I have noticed there is no lack of other users willing to answer any (reasonable) question that has been asked. In fact, one even helped another newbie with the spelling of newbie!! lol - pointed out it is not newby.

Take care

A great, easy to read and informative book by the New York Times reporter David Pogue called Switching to the Mac: The Missing Manual, Tiger Edition. You can pick it up at most any big book box store (if it has a computer section).

Satcomer,

Thanks for posting that for my benefit. I had seen it posted in one of the forums while browsing and it does seem it would be a handy reference manual. I am taking my daughter to the mall tonight and I plan to look for it. If I can't find it, I feel pretty sure I can find it online.

Take care
James

Native Californian (don't call it Cali to me) living and working in Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon), Vietnam.

Born in Riverside, California, grew up in nearby Colton. Diehard Mac user since 1987.

Originally from Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA

Currently residing in Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA

Currently desiring to live anywhere but Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA (or strangely cultrued 3rd world countries)

*cries* :(

Back