• Yes Ed, please leave your post as administrator of this forum

• no

• who is Ed?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MacLuv

Reloaded
The other night I spent a half hour of my time replying to some comments made by another member and today I return to find them cut with the simple explanation that Ed didn't like them.

I come to this place to post my opinions about things. If people disagree with me fine, but axing my posts just because I don't like what people might be saying about Apple is absolutely ridiculous.

I realize the administration reserves the right to cut posts but I've never seen so much censorship in my life.

I've heard lots of rumors about Ed in here and frankly I don't know why people put up with this BS. Either Ed calms down, leaves, or I will start my own forum for the Mac Community where this sort of unjustified cencorship doesn't take place.

Best regards,

me.

I would like two things from you, MacLuv:

1) Please give EXACT reference of what you're talking about and post here the exact URL of the censored post, with original post and new one.

2) Please leave an option in your poll saying "NO, I want Ed Spruiell to stay THE SAME and to act just as he did in the past". I think this would be more fair.

I hope you understand why I am asking those two things, esp. point #2.

Also, you say you never saw so much censorship in your life. I saw more, I can tell you. Ed is a RATIONAL and applies RATIONAL censor to these forums. But again, to debate this point, I'd like to read your original post and its censored version please. You may have heard a lot of rumors, that's the point of this forum :p, and you should know one thing : rumors are what they are. RUMORS.

I personnally think your reaction of creating your own Mac forum with no censorship bla bla bla is, in my humble opinion, childish, irrational and very much a tantrum. I think the same of your 'me' signature, but I expect this one of being a stupid joke.

How about a "NO" option for this poll or is this just a personal attack at Ed?

Personally I think Ed does an excelent job, he chooses to do this on a voluntary basis out of his own time. He is simply doing his job moderating this forum according to the rules you agreed to when you joined.

I just asked for the same thing, MightyAtom. First application of freedom of speech, reading what others wrote. Not willing to offense you, bud :).

Originally posted by toast
I would like two things from you, MacLuv:

1) Please give EXACT reference of what you're talking about and post here the exact URL of the censored post, with original post and new one.

2) Please leave an option in your poll saying "NO, I want Ed Spruiell to stay THE SAME and to act just as he did in the past". I think this would be more fair.

I hope you understand why I am asking those two things, esp. point #2.

Oh, I should be fair now? Well, considering a post that I spend a half hour typing up was simply deleted becuase somebody felt like it isn't really fair now, is it? As a member of this forum, I contribute my opinions in hopes to improve the quality of our experience here... if I find another members' comments completely out of line I have a tendancy to be sarcastic but never rude or immoral. And I certainly don't need to be moderated, thankyou. And forgive me Ed, if you're reading this, but just because you are the moderator of this forum doesn't neccessarily mean that there isn't room for improvement on your part. I would gladly post the reference to the post that got axed but I can't see--because it got axed.

I'm going to say this once. The goal of the moderator or administrator in any of these forums is really to make sure that nothing EXTREME is going on... to keep the peace... a little sarcasm or debate or foolishness is common and at times healthy... some people in here are allowed to post the most ludacrist things regarding Apple and yet if a rebuttal has a few sarcastic comments within it--snip snip.

Also, you say you never saw so much censorship in your life. I saw more, I can tell you. Ed is a RATIONAL and applies RATIONAL censor to these forums. But again, to debate this point, I'd like to read your original post and its censored version please. You may have heard a lot of rumors, that's the point of this forum :p, and you should know one thing : rumors are what they are. RUMORS.

You've seen more censorship? Where, in China? Like I said, it's fine if the moderators and admins of a forum reserve the right to edit posts, whatever, but for the sake of the community one must procede with diligence. Surely if someone like Ed was on the bench, we'd all be fined for chewing gum in class. That's how I feel about it, and I have a right to the way I feel. If you don't like the way I express how I feel, I'm sorry, but that's this wonderful human phenomenon called a PERSONALITY. It makes the world an interesting place to live in when we can all express ourselves. Try it sometime, you might like it.

I personnally think your reaction of creating your own Mac forum with no censorship bla bla bla is, in my humble opinion, childish, irrational and very much a tantrum. I think the same of your 'me' signature, but I expect this one of being a stupid joke.

Okay, why wouldn't I start up my own forum? The software is free and I have the server space and the technical know-how... what's the big deal? And what's irratioonal about wanting to have a forum that truly welcomes opinions without censorship? I'm not talking about full-on Usenet flame wars here, but discussion over the internet.

Really, the proper protocol for Ed to delete a post should have been this: Five or so people directly complain about the post, Ed follows up and finds out what the problem is, and then takes the neccessary actions. It's really simple. But just deleting someone's post on the grounds that it's "immoral" to this community is within itself insane.

As I've said before, I'm here to talk things Apple, not moderate the moderator. This is the last post I'm going to post about this post, if you know what I mean. I hope that people realize that I'm human too, I get angry when I'm censored unjustly, and this is my way of expressing that. And once again, don't test my reserve about opening my own site for this stuff... I'm sure the macosx admin wouldn't want to lose all his/her members to a cooler site ;)

now, back to the bitchin'....

Okay, why wouldn't I start up my own forum?

I never told you not to start your own forum. I just gave my opinion on how I'd interpret this act.

You still haven't answered my two questions, which would help me -us ?- to develop on what happened in the "Apple losing faith" thread.

And I've seen more censorship in your own country. Two ERASMUS friends expelled from Melbourne school for supposedly revisionist ideas.

And I've seen more censorship in your own country. Two ERASMUS friends expelled from Melbourne school for supposedly revisionist ideas.

Um, yeah, well considering i live in NEW ZEALAND and Melbourne is in AUSTRALIA which is a totally different country, this doesn't really apply to my country, now does it?

And stop forcing me to come back and post to this stupid thread becuase you can't get your Geography right...

Sorry for the geography part. This was intended to be a joke, you see ? I guess humor does not cross borders. Explanation, thus: it's a French joke to say NZ and AUS are same place.

I can understand you have no humor, though. Still, I had two questions for you, and you don't seem to want to answer them. I'll repost them, who knows:

---

---

I can understand you don't want to add a 'NO' option to this thread. It's very much your style. I can imagine your own forum will be as free and open-minded as this poll you made. LOL

Sorry for the geography part. This was intended to be a joke, you see ? I guess humor does not cross borders. Explanation, thus: it's a French joke to say NZ and AUS are same place.

Actually I think you're embarrased because you fall into the category of people that don't realize New Zealand is not part of Australia. Don't worry, your not alone... 98 out of every 100 humans on Earth usually make the same assumption. We've heard it a million times. To use your nationality as an excuse for your ignorance is really not becoming of your country, either, or is it? Of course, I (hope) you take that as a joke.

I can understand you have no humor, though. Still, I had two questions for you, and you don't seem to want to answer them. I'll repost them, who knows:

---

---

I can understand you don't want to add a 'NO' option to this thread. It's very much your style. I can imagine your own forum will be as free and open-minded as this poll you made. LOL

Right. So now we have a post where I'm getting bashed again. Should I pull out my magic gumdrops and bite my tounge? Will Ed delete this post? I'm really getting tired of this. One more time: I don't have to give you the EXACT reference of anything. And as far as the poll goes, if you don't like it, write your own poll. If you don't like my sense of humor, fine. It's the internet.

I want Ed to continue its excellent work. Thanks Ed. And thanks MacLuv to give me the opportunity to confirm that I appreciate Ed.

Well said, Chevy.

Hey MacLuv :
98 out of every 100 humans on Earth usually make the same assumption.
I hope you understand that's exactly what's making it a joke, Mac. Yes, I'll take it as a new-zealandish joke.

I don't really understand the rest of your post. I wasn't bashing, just asking for some reference so I could read your org. post. Similarly, I was just ASKING for some third option in your poll, aiming at ameliorating it. You are free not to add this last NO option, of course, though it reduces the chances of yourself opening a free forum elsewhere to zero.

I'm glad we're antipods, bud. :)

...Deja vu anyone?

Ed does a GREAT job as a moderator and I hope he will continue to do so! If and when I will act in a way that Ed thinks that is bad/wrong/whatever, he is free to bane me if he feels so! No hard feelings and power to him!

Also, my thanks to Ed when I got a bit carried away for putting me back on the right track... Ed thanks again for doing so :cool:

Originally posted by MacLuv
I'm sorry, I didn't realize this was a room full of AA members and ED was the group sponsor...

Sure you can. (/American(only?) joke: Mr. Rogers reference)

Most of your comments in this thread have been somewhat intelligent… up to this point. But this is just ridiculous. Is this the old "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em" logic? Basically you're bashing everyone that doesn't agree with you, because they don't agree with you? That's a bit immature in my humble opinion. If you don't like it here then just leave. Noone's forcing you to stay.

Originally posted by MacLuv
And stop forcing me to come back and post to this stupid thread becuase you can't get your Geography right...

LOL. Now people are forcing you to post here.

OK, look. Here's my take on this. You feel that Ed handled your situation improperly. Rather than being the bigger man and handling this properly (ie- PM Ed explaining how you feel, maybe even PM Admin as well) you post a public poll asking if Ed should be forced to step down? The resolution of these types of problems should usually start off back-channel. In short, how is what you're doing here any worse than what you perceive was done to you?

I, personally, think Ed does a dencent job of moderating this forum. It ain't spectacularly, sparklingly wonderful and perfect, but it's more than adequate.

I'd have to actually read the post that got axed in order to formulate an opinion on whether or not Ed was justified in removing it, but I've never had a reason to distrust Ed or his decisions.

In light of this, though, I think it needs to be brought to both posters' and moderators' attention that both of those positions are tough to fill. It's tough to be a contributing poster here and dole out technical know-how free of charge, occasionally bumping into some really rude people. It's also difficult as hell to be a moderator, and have the burden of filtering out sensitive material, and possibly encountering a situation such as this one.

At any rate, I think we need to keep in mind that this place is chock FULL of opinions. And I think it's up to the moderators, such as Ed, to make absolute SURE that the material they are removing would be considered downright offensive to the MAJORITY of members here, and not just a few... a few people will ALWAYS be offended about everything, no matter where you go. Also, care should be taken to take an unbiased view of the "offensive" material, and Ed and the other moderators need to make sure that they're removing the post for the good of the boards, and not because they are PERSONALLY offended by the post.

I have a poll:

Yes: macluv should pipe down and leave the forum
Yes: Ed should kick macluv off the forum and remove his account.
Yes: macluv should not be allowed to post on MacOSX.com.
No: macluv should be allowed to post on MacOSX.com.

How is that for a free speech? This has been a waste of bits on my screen.

Thanks Ed, you have been a good mod here. And thanks for letting me push to the limits once in a while. And no, I don't want Ed removed. My vote : Leave Ed alone. It is not easy being a Mod in any forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back