Windows on an intel mac?

Running Windows on a Mac Intel is like having Ferrari F430 and installing a VW's Bug 1.8 litter engine... just because you can...

Official is this: Vista won't have EFI support on 32bit systems initially. They (MS) did not talk about Macs. Everything else is just speculation. Whether the Mac Pros will be 64bit and might run Vista 64bit edition? Unknown. All unknown. But I think we're looking for hacks rather than official support, anyway.

macosxuser said:
XP booting on an Intel Mac is available now but has limited XP drivers.

http://download.onmac.net/
And it only took 22 hours to post it here... :eek:

There are already reports of problems on MacBooks. Windows isn't able to control the hardware and the systems seem to be over heating.

People should be aware that any damage done to your Mac while running Windows is not going to be covered by AppleCare. Running Windows on a Mac is considered user abuse of hardware.

Well, you could argue that running windows on anything is an abuse of hardware :p

I certainly understand the appeal in doing so. If nothing else, for the games available. If you only have one computer, it would be nice to boot into either OS (and Linux too) for alot of people.

However, I would concur with RacerX....if you damage something, you are on your own.

I fail to see any difference between running Windows on any PC or running Windows on the Intel Macs.

Apple seems not to see any difference either so they released bootcamp

What sort of real damage could you do.

The cpu fans are controlled by hardware heat sensing devices and stuff like corrupting your hard disk because of a rogue driver could be done on any PC.

The opensource bootloader might be capable of causing some problems maybe.

macosxuser said:
I fail to see any difference between running Windows on any PC or running Windows on the Intel Macs.

Apple seems not to see any difference either so they released bootcamp
The cpu fans are controlled by hardware heat sensing devices and stuff like corrupting your hard disk because of a rogue driver could be done on any PC.
One difference, the Mac hardware is indeed still different in some respects. Windows itself is the same, but there are still driver issues, for example, the fans are controlled by both hardware (both temp and current sensors), and software drivers. So the fans will probably run more often, and faster than needed. Without proper software drivers for the fans, there would be some risk of overheating. This situation will probably be fixed soon. Also, a MacBook pro will have somewhat shorter battery life when booted to Windows, again because of incorrect or missing drivers for power saving.
Even though WinXP seems to run very well on Mac hardware, the hardware support for the Mac Intel running Windows is not really complete at this time.
Apple will likely move quickly to help with these issues, but they have already stated that having the install support software (Boot Camp) does not mean that Apple will provide support for Windows itself.
Apple's main focus will remain with OS X for the foreseeable future.
Support for installing Windows is an interesting bonus. Have fun with it!

The MacBook Pro gets hot running OSX.

I think the drivers you are talking about are the power management drivers which are different to a hardware sensor that controls the internal fan.

Apple knows what they are doing (in most cases) when they work out what temperature the internal fan switches on at.

Just like a fridge has an internal heat sensor to switch on when the internal temperature of the fridge goes too low so do laptops have a similar sensor but it works the other way around of course.

I've got an old Lombard Powerbook and there are a lot of forums with questions about why Lombard users can't hear the internal fan switch on and the Lombards running too hot etc, sort of similar to the MacBook Pro concerns.

I had to max out the Lombards cpu with 3d graphics and dvd playing at the same time to hear the fan switch on.

It was at about 185 degrees farenheight.

macosxuser said:
The MacBook Pro gets hot running OSX.

I think the drivers you are talking about are the power management drivers which are different to a hardware sensor that controls the internal fan.
I've got an old Lombard Powerbook and there are a lot of forums with questions about why Lombard users can't hear the internal fan switch on and the Lombards running too hot etc, sort of similar to the MacBook Pro concerns.
Power Management includes both battery and cooling systems, (among others), with both hardware sensors and software controllers (drivers and system configuration) affecting control of the system. I don't have any links for your education, but Apple probably has some good info in their support area. Some basic information about more modern power control in laptops would help you out..
The Lombard does not have access in any way to control the fans, they simply are on all the time (no variable speed, just on. That's why you don't hear them come on. (They don't stop until you shut the Lombard off, or sleep)
On the other hand, the newer PowerBooks, and now the MacBooks, have full control over the fans, detecting over-temp, over-current, and also software control for other situations. The software control over the fans is independent of the hardware control. (For example, the fans will turn on when the system detects a locked-up condition, which has nothing to do with temperature. A Lombard has no way to do this, but the Lombard's fans are always running, or have only simple temp control)

Back