World Cup 2006

Yeah, I heard the goal scored by the Japanese was a little dodgy... I didn't see the match, so I can't really comment. I'm cringing as far as England's next few matches go. Of course it is most exciting for me when England plays, but I was worried they were not playing as convincingly as they should do. I don't know if it is the heat, the injuries, the tactics, or something else.

Potential spoiler:
France 0 - 0 Switzerland so far (24 minutes gone). Good to see the Swiss holding their own thus far!

And that's all both teams did until the end. ;) ... I guess both think that they will beat the other two teams, and so the 0:0 in the first game would be enough for both to reach the next round... I certainly _hope_ so for Switzerland. Either way: Nothing lost yet. Yay! :)

Now for Brazil vs. Croatia. :) :) :)

It goes without saying that I would like to see Wales play in the World Cup. The problem is we're not very good at football/soccer. I've never quite worked out why, but I blame Gary Sprake (see image).

Therefore as a Brit, I am obviously supporting England. I just hope they don't bottle out.

"Herself" hates footy. My oldest daughter wants Brazil to win. My youngest daughter calls a dressing gown a watering can, so what more can I say?

Attachments

• Sprake.jpg
    Sprake.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 11
mw84 said:
I think the Togo striker, Adebayor should of been taken off at some point though. He was constantly standing offside and hardly moving at all. He would play a ball to someone then instead of moving he'd just stand in the same spot and they'd loose possession needlessly.

Well, I guess Togo can be considered a modest team… Surely their game play is not as sofisticated as that from more experient teams, with more experient players, like France or England.

Eeek, although England won 2-0, it was a close run thing with the match between England and Trinidad and Tobago! To be fair, Trinidad and Tobago did have virtually their entire team in their own half most of the time, and sheer numbers of their players in the penalty area made it difficult for England to get near the goal!

Crouch's goal was OK, but, to me, Gerrard's goal was the sort of thing we are used to in the Premier League, and the sort of thing we expect from an England team playing to their potential. I think they still aren't working together very well and they still make too many mistakes. They did, however, play a lot better once Rooney and Lennon were on, probably because there was more pace, the formation was broader, and because Lampard and Gerrard were more able to do their own thing again.

With regards to the Sweden - Paraguay match, I was hoping for a draw, for "selfish" reasons. Sweden, to their credit, did keep trying and eventually had the breakthrough.

Good God!!! Almost sounds like a baseball game! :eek:

(And I didn't get to see the match either. :()

I didn't see it either - the only games we get to see around here for free are the ones with the Portuguese team…

Maybe they were just lucky! :D And also one of the Serbians was thrown out (? my English soccer vocabular isn't the best :) ) before the last 3 goals, so…

Still, I was already betting on Argentina and the Netherlands ;)

bbloke, what do you make of Sven? He's getting a terrible time on Irish coverage of World Cup. I love football and would watch it all day if I had the chance (Thank God for World Cup!!) Summer is always hard, go into withdrawal every year! Have to say that Sven is imo an absolute joke. Remember the pictures of him meeting with Abramovich? I swear that he did it to score a pay rise for himself. Leaving Dafoe at home, playing an unfit Owen and Rooney and bringing a 17 year old who never played a first team game for his club to the greatest football stage in the world?? Won't play Carrick despite having a great season and being the only holding midfielder in the squad? Long balls to Crouch seem to be the only tactic and Beckham is looking more and more past it (dead balls aside). I'd play Lennon ahead of him. Beckham finished the last game playing right back!!

bbloke said:
As well as watching matches on TV, it's also possible to watch the matches and/or highlights using the BBC web site:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_cup_2006/default.stm

:)

Edit: Ah, it says it is viewable to UK users only... Sorry!

Well I've had luck watching the games on my work computer using TVAnts. About the only thing the craptacular computer here is good for. Only downside is I have to keep distracting myself from the games to work on these models in front of me. Sadly I've yet to find a streaming video equivalent (to TVAnts, PPLive, SOPCast, etc.) for Mac OS X. All the games are during working hours anyway though, so for now TVAnts on the bloody horrific windows box at work is how I get my world cup fix during the weekdays.

Speaking of which, the Netherlands - Ivory Coast game was quite titillating. I would've liked to see Ivory Coast advance but alas, 'tis not to be. Now I'm stuck pulling for Czech, Brazil (I've been in love with Brazil football since grade school), and Spain (who looked in top form against the Ukraine, hopefully they can keep their game up to par).

bbloke said:
Eeek, although England won 2-0, it was a close run thing with the match between England and Trinidad and Tobago!
England don't seem to have a game plan. Subsitute Lennon made all the difference against T&T. Rooney is a fabulous player, but is over-hyped as England's talisman.

lilbandit said:
Have to say that Sven is imo an absolute joke.
Sven will be packing his bags soon. His post-World Cup replacement, Steve McClaren, will probably court less controversy, so perhaps the press will let him get on with the job.

For what it's worth, my money has always been on Argentina to win the cup (although I wouldn't put it past Germany to pull something off).

Watching Argentina today it's hard not to be impressed. Messi came on and scored too, great to see him back in action! Anybody impressed with Italy?

lilbandit said:
bbloke, what do you make of Sven? He's getting a terrible time on Irish coverage of World Cup. I love football and would watch it all day if I had the chance (Thank God for World Cup!!) Summer is always hard, go into withdrawal every year! Have to say that Sven is imo an absolute joke. Remember the pictures of him meeting with Abramovich? I swear that he did it to score a pay rise for himself. Leaving Dafoe at home, playing an unfit Owen and Rooney and bringing a 17 year old who never played a first team game for his club to the greatest football stage in the world?? Won't play Carrick despite having a great season and being the only holding midfielder in the squad? Long balls to Crouch seem to be the only tactic and Beckham is looking more and more past it (dead balls aside). I'd play Lennon ahead of him. Beckham finished the last game playing right back!!
Well, where to start? I'm not really a massive football/soccer fan. I know enough to know what people are talking about and I tend to watch international games, but I couldn't claim to be an expert.

My general feelings about Sven has been mixed. At first, I thought he was a good manager and he might turn things round. After some time, I began to think he was very conservative and was not playing to our strengths very well. He seemed, to me, to play people out of position, be too defensive, make some odd substitutions, tinker with the squad a bit too much, and general not allow the games to flow as we would like (going by Premier League experiences). It seemed like the team just didn't gel and didn't work together well. Stupid mistakes were often made, and I wondered how much of this (such as diabolical passing or badly timed runs, from people who normally would know better!) was due to confusion when it came to specific roles and tactics.

People have recently pointed out that he actually has the best record, as far as England managers go. I was surprised to learn this and started to wonder if we need to give him a little more credit. Even so, I've not been happy with the performances at the World Cup so far. To sum it up, it feels like England has some excellent talent, possibly some players who can hold their own against any other in the world, and yet, when put together as a team, it just doesn't work. It's a frustrating lack of realization of potential.

Not bringing Defoe was bad, in my view. Our strike force consists of two people coming back from injury and who are not yet fit (Owen and Rooney), and one unusual character who, to his credit, has actually not done too badly (Crouch). Joe Cole has also been very good, and I think he should keep playing. With Lampard and Gerrard, they are both very talented and it is hard to know how to fit them both into the squad, if possible. I think Terry has proven to be excellent and a good long term prospect. I'm not quite sure why Sven keeps using Hargreaves, although I know he is supposed to be better than the media give him credit for. Lennon really seemed to bring a lot to the game against Trinidad and Tobago, and I'd like to see more of him in future. To many people's surprise, Sven's subsitutions in that match actually proved effective! :D

In summary, I just feel England are not performing as well as they are capable of, and I don't know if that comes down to the manager or not. On the other hand, although England have lacked flair and a command of their game, they have at least won both games and have not conceded a goal. I think many fans would rather see England "play well" if you know what I mean, not just get points. As Sven will be leaving after the World Cup, I'll give him of the benefit of the doubt for now and hope England "comes good" as time goes on. *cringe*

Okay. We're almost in the next round now. (We being Switzerland...) :) :) :) I just _wish_ - although it's certainly not the most noble thought - that France will actually lose vs. Togo. There are three reasons for this thought:

1.) Switzerland could then even lose their final match against Korea.
2.) Togo was a good competitor in this group and needs more than 0 points.
3.) France definitely simply is _not_ the good team they once were. And I think they don't belong in the next round. Pity for Zidane? No.

fryke said:
Switzerland could then even lose their final match against Korea.
Sorry Fryke old boy, but I fear Switzerland will lose their final match against South Korea.

bbloke said:
I think many fans would rather see England "play well" if you know what I mean, not just get points.
Now that England are through to the next round, I am sure most of their fans will now just want them to win the cup, even if the games are scrappy. I would be delighted if they did.

Dal i fynd Lloegr (Welsh for "C'mon Eng-er-land!").

Hm. We'll see, m'dear. ;) ... But as I said. As long as France loses against Togo (and they've yet to show some decent football in this World Cup and now Zidane is missing...), it doesn't even matter that much. I certainly _hope_ Switzerland defies South Korea. They don't look unbeatable at all.

Back