World Cup 2006

I was glad to see Ghana get through. They seem to play with lots of spirit. I was also quite pleased that The Netherlands went through; they've often seemed to me to be traditionally a strong side who don't win as much as they maybe should.

Interesting... Brazil against Ghana in the next round... oh, errrrr, and Italy versus Australia. I'm guessing so far it will end up being Germany against Argentina in the Quarter Finals, and quite possibly Ecuador (alas) against Portugal.

I'm interested to see our line up on Sunday with Owen out. Personally I'd like to see Gerrard playing up front with Rooney.

mw84 said:
I'm interested to see our line up on Sunday with Owen out. Personally I'd like to see Gerrard playing up front with Rooney.
I'd like to see Gerrard and Lampard havign free roles, with a holding midfielder behind them. This would mean Rooney plays on his own up front, but he would have support from two attacking midfielders. Hmmm, I'd also like to see Lennon again... and I'm curious about Walcott. Errr, how many players are we allowed on the pitch again? ;)

Congratulations, fryke, Switzerland are safely through. Portugal are through as well, so I'm sure Esquilinho will be pleased.

:)

Lots of talk on the beeb about playing Rooney alone up front in a 4-5-1 formation. Crazy stuff, Rooney isn't fit enough to play 50 full blooded minutes as a lone striker. Like bbloke I'd like to see Lennon again, I'd drop Beckham in a heartbeat! Give Terry the captain's armband and let him scream at the others to get them going. He's a natural leader. I'm curious about Walcott too but he can't be impressing in training if he hasn't been used by now. The match against Sweden was an ideal chance to blood him in a relatively unimportant match. I think Sven wants to play with one striker. He got Benfica to European cup final and Lazio won the double in 2000 under him but both teams played one striker and counter attacking football. This might go some way towards explaining the bizarre decision to take the squad that he did. My 2 cents, I have no idea really!

Phew! I can breathe again! England are through to the Quarter Finals. :)

Watching England play usually makes me feel like I've aged ten years. I'm glad they played a bit better and that they didn't sag in the second half like they have done so far in each match in this tournament. They kept possesion much better, and generally built things up nicely, although they tended not to finish things off.

I think Carrick played very well indeed, and Lennon was looking quite good at the end of the game too. Rooney did really well and showed his passion for playing. He lasted the full match (for the first time since breaking his foot) in an isolated role (i.e. where he had to do a lot of running), and this was on a hot day as well!

Lampard seems to be off form this tournament, as he keeps missing shots he'd normally put away, and Robinson sometimes gives us heart attacks in his role as the hesitant goalkeeper! I was not too happy with the refereeing at some points (eg. three hand balls by Ecuador that were ignored [once in the penalty area and once just outside], ignoring a foul on Gerrard on the edge of the penalty area, and some occasional rough stuff from Ecuador, and yet two yellow cards for English players for "time wasting"... !), although it was not toooo bad overall. We also got to see some delightful footage of Beckham spitting a lot... he apparently vomited on the pitch, and had not been feeling well all day! A lot of people have been criticizing his form; he might get let off for now after his rather nice free kick...

Edit: Oh yes, and I was happy to be proven wrong: I had feared Ecuador might produce a "shock" and beat England, given the way England has been playing recently!

WOW. I was watching the Portugal - Netherlands game, and what can I say... That game was a farce!

I was not sure who to support during the match at first, for various reasons, but I started to really turn against the Dutch because of what I saw as very dirty/dishonest behavior (eg. diving all the time etc.). By the end, I wanted to see Portugal convincingly beat the Dutch, I'm afraid. But, still... 16 yellow cards and 4 red cards?! :confused:

Let's just say: That was _not_ a real football game. The man in black (although they mostly aren't nowadays...) was kind of a showstar, trying to pull off a few record-breaking card-tricks. Of course it didn't help that both teams went into the game very nervously and aggressively. Still glad Portugal made it. Holland's not giving back the ball after the "fairness-outing of the ball" _two_ times was too much.

I think it was Holland's fault… OK, I may sound biased, ;) but still…
It was like they were doing it on purpose, maybe trying to provoke the Portuguese team so they would lose their head and be all thrown out…

Anyway, the referee was really the star of the game.

I'm very happy portugal one as I have many Portugeuse friends at work, one of whom has tickets for the quarter final they are now in.

That said, in geneva there are a lot of Portugeuse people and they do love shouting and honking car horns when they win. As i live above a Portugeuse bar this meant i was awake till past 2am as cars cruised round the middle of town and sang :).

PS- kinda supporting Switzerland as I live there, and never was a very patriotic Brit (sorry bbloke!)

ora said:
That said, in geneva there are a lot of Portugeuse people and they do love shouting and honking car horns when they win. As i live above a Portugeuse bar this meant i was awake till past 2am as cars cruised round the middle of town and sang :).

Do I know what you mean!!! Imagine it here!!

And as if that wasn't enough, some guy decided to climb up a statue in one of the most important squares in Lisbon anf fell down! On a 16 year old girl!

rev15r.jpg

Esquilinho said:
Do I know what you mean!!! Imagine it here!!

I can imagine!! must be fun though if everyone is that enthusiastic, better than the happily much improved image of 'celebrating' England fans. I missed the game (not the world's biggest football fan) but my mates in the UK seem happy as they reckon it improved their chance against Portugal.

Sad about the girl getting hurt, but alcohol and tall monuments are a dangerous combinations!

Seems like (although I heard before the game that they _actually_ did train penalties that afternoon...). My tears are low in number, though, since they _should_ and could have made it clear in the 30 minutes _before_ the penalty shoot-off. The shoot-off's always a luck-thing, and no-one should speculate on that. If you can't win the _game_ before it, you're not in the right place at the World Cup.

Now my hopes are with Brazil and Portugal, of course.

It was very disappointing to see Australia lose to Italy, when Australia clearly played the better overall game. 92 minutes in it was still 0-0 and the game was looking to be heading into a fantastic nail-biting penalty shoot-out, until a terrible call from the referee gave Italy a penalty shot — which they got. Losing 1-0 for this reason is terrible, but I'm very proud of Australia for getting this far, considering they'd never before even scored a goal in the World Cup.

My hopes now lie with Germany.

Esquilinho said:
I think it was Holland's fault… OK, I may sound biased, ;) but still…
It was like they were doing it on purpose, maybe trying to provoke the Portuguese team so they would lose their head and be all thrown out…
I mainly agree with you. I think the Dutch behaved disgracefully, and I only wish they could be further penalized! They were completely unsportsmanlike, they were faking fouls/injuries all over the place, and I was very disappointed by them. Robben, in particular, will always be a cheat in my eyes. I was glad they were knocked out. This after I had previously wanted to see them do well! :D

I don't think it was 100% Holland's fault, though. Deco's challenge was incredibly rash and, no matter how angry you get, you should never lash out like that. Costinha was rash too and was careless more than once, so he did deserve to be sent off. Also, Figo was not that well behaved... He headbutted someone (although not with lots of force) and he did rather exaggerate to get Boulahrouz deliberately sent off. Despite this, I do think the majority of the blame lies with the Dutch and with the referee. There are just far too many cards in this tournament, FIFA are really spoiling things.

Gosh, feels like I'm one of very few here supporting England! :(

On the other hand, the game Switzerland vs. Ukraine was almost without cards. I felt that this was rather good for the game, although there were some instances, where the blow of a whistle was clearly missing. ;) ... I guess the trick would be to adapt to the referee - but it doesn't seem like teams can actually do that.

A shame to see Ghana go out, but I didn't really expect a different result against Brazil. As for the match between Spain and France, I was surprised that France won, as Spain seemed to be doing very well. Spain is another national side that seems to not do as well as one might expect.

Once more, I was very disappointed by the acting during that match. I'm not sure if the players in the tournament are interested in the World Cup or the Oscars. I think it was Torres (?) who went over the top when Viera slightly caught him in the face. Also, what on earth was Henry doing, blatantly diving and clutching his face when no contact was made?! I was very disappointed in him.

Personally, I think diving and acting should warrant a yellow card or even a red card sometimes, particularly when the player doesn't just go down but actually tries to convince the referee to send someone off. For instance, people who go down grabbing their face when there was little or no contact should, in my view, be sent off. I know there is always some acting. I know people sometimes hit the ground when they could have stayed up. Is it just me, however, or are players getting worse for this sort of thing?

France vs Germany for the final anyone? No way?
Yellow/red cards "a gogo" Portugal vs England?
Argentina vs Germany, dido?
Italy....good actors. As usual. Cheap win. I was hoping for overtime.

And the referees?

Your objective opinions. Please.

PS There were so many Frenchmen saying France would not beat Spain. Goes to show you. A question of confidence perhaps.

May the best team win.

Sorry Fryke, but one British commentator described watching Switzerland the other night as being akin to watching creosote dry. It was a negative performance and I don't think Switzerland deserved to go further in the competition.

However, I know Switzerland can play very well and I hope they bounce back and show us their strengths in the next Euro competition.

Germany vs. Argentina? Germany is playing well as a team and the Argies have some weaknesses in their defence. However, my head says Argentina to win.

I think England can beat Portugal (sorry Esquilinho), but then they will face either Brazil or France.

Final? Argentina vs. Brazil (with the latter winning).

Back