Would we see Mac .NET?

imo .net is poised to boom , then fail, and then slowly gain some ground again. M$ is pushing all of these ideas into the hends of trained chimps. I hope apple doesn't get involved too soon.

In VC++ dont know about the rest you can go to full screen mode, and the entire screen is just used for coding, then at the press of a button you can go back to standard view if you need some buttons etc.

He's talking to no one. It's frgmstr, he doesn't know what he's talking about but has to object, that's all. Ignore him and he will be silent again.

Says Ulrik of all people, LOL gimme a break.

I only comment on worth while subjects if you havent noticed which is why i only post here about once every six months ( says something in itself ), i couldnt care a less what colour someones dock is.

Vic

I didnt say they were so giving and sharing, they like to make money, just like i do. Cant fault em really.

Apple likes to make money too you know they do it by charging over the top prices for under rated hardware didnt you know. You dont moan about them not being giving and sharing :rolleyes:

FrgMstr, did you check the URL to the site? You may be looking for WindowsXP.com forums, not Mac OS X forums.

Does it really take a tripple post to share your opinions?

dricci, you see it wasnt me that dragged this into an argument, some of the posts before ulriks made some good points and questioned some legitimate concerns about the architecture but this is just silly and part of the reason why i post so little here.

Becasue this is a MacOSX forum does that mean i wont find anything interesting to read if im a WinXP user, no of course not, this thread is just one example of why i continue to pop into the forum every now and again.

besides i will have a go at OSX when the port it to the AMD Sledgehammer, which they will do.

and yes apparently it did take three postings to share my opinion, so. Why be so picky.

Originally posted by FrgMstr
dricci, you see it wasnt me that dragged this into an argument, some of the posts before ulriks made some good points and questioned some legitimate concerns about the architecture but this is just silly and part of the reason why i post so little here.

Becasue this is a MacOSX forum does that mean i wont find anything interesting to read if im a WinXP user, no of course not, this thread is just one example of why i continue to pop into the forum every now and again.

besides i will have a go at OSX when the port it to the AMD Sledgehammer, which they will do.

and yes apparently it did take three postings to share my opinion, so. Why be so picky.

listen, i apreciate your imput, but where did you hear about os x being ported to the ibm compatible market? it's not going to happen. i'm sure of that but if it does i'll make sure we meet and then you can kick me in the ass.

Sure... :rolleyes:

There is no need to port anything. The port exists. And as long as Apple earns it's money by selling hardware, it will never be released. It's that simple.

Selling Operating Systems can be quite profitable, ask MicroSoft, but then i wouldnt expect Steve Jobs to think different :D

selling operating systems is not profitable, ask linux distros. forcing OEM's to buy your operating system is profitable, ask microsoft.

Selling Operating Systems can be quite profitable, ask MicroSoft, but then i wouldnt expect Steve Jobs to think different :D

it's funny how you again proof that you have no clue what you are talking about. If you ever red Microsofts annual reports, you might have realised that selling an OS is just to get consumers buy other MS products. Be it Office, Plus, Games etc. or Exchange Servers, SQL Servers etc. for companies. This is where Microsoft draws the money from.
Compare the work you have to put into an OS and it's price. Every noticed that OSes are nearly the cheapest things in the software industry but the hardest to invent/realize/support?

There where companies who tried to ONLY sell OSes....well, Be, OS/2, OpenStep....I won't mention what happened to them :rolleyes: (well, technically I am posting from OpenStep :D )

Didn't see this mentioned while skimming... but Ximmian has all but said that's its less of a question of if it's .net product comes to OS X, but when.

It was on thinksecret some time ago...

vic
It doesnt matter how they do it.

Ulrik
Microsoft Windows put MS where it is today, granted what you are saying is true, but so is what i said, it was intentionaly vague since i didnt really have time to break down MS' annual earnings into a pie chart for you :D

From mono FAQ
Question 1: What is Mono exactly?

The Mono Project is an open development initiative sponsored by Ximian that is working to develop an open source, Linux-based version of the Microsoft .NET development platform. Its objective is to enable Linux developers to build and deploy cross-platform .NET Applications. The project will implement various technologies developed by Microsoft that have now been submitted to the ECMA for standardization.

Question 7: What does the name "Mono" mean?

Mono is the word for `monkey' in Spanish. We like monkeys.
Even very bad monkeys?
Question 8: Is Mono usable?

The JIT engine is usable on Intel x86 machines. An interpreter can be used on other non-Intel x86 machines.

The class libraries are not yet mature enough to run real applications, but if you are interested in trying out Mono, you can definetly start testing things out as many programs run.

The C# compiler has made significant progress, it can even compile itself now, but it can not yet be ran with our class libraries as they are missing some features.

Question 33: What is a 100% .NET application?

A `100% .NET application' is one that only uses the APIs defined under the System namespace and does not use PInvoke. These applications would in theory run unmodified on Windows, Linux, HP-UX, Solaris, MacOS X and others.

And on their rationale page they have a pretty clear breakdown of what .NET "is":
<ul>
<li>The .NET development platform, a new platform for writing software.
<li>Web services.
<li>Microsoft Server Applications.
<li>New tools that use the new development platform.
<li>Hailstorm, the Passport centralized single-signon system that is being integrated into Windows XP.
</ul>
Mono is an implementation of the .NET development platform.
So by asking will we see Mac .NET, do you mean just the development program or more?

Microsoft Windows put MS where it is today, granted what you are saying is true, but so is what i said, it was intentionaly vague since i didnt really have time to break down MS' annual earnings into a pie chart for you :D

You said selling an OS is profitable. That is not vague, that is what you said, and this is wrong! On another forum, somebody said Apple should port OS X to x86 and give it away for free. This is also wrong.

Consider what has to be done to invent an OS! You need nearly EVERYTHING IT. First, you need compiler builders, maybe the most expensive programmers in the IT business. You need a filesystem, you need multimedia engines, fonts, graphic engines. And since licensing costs are high, you have to invent your own. Creating a market-ready OS is maybe the single most expensive task in the IT business. Now, compare OS prices to other software. The last x86 OS I bought was 95, the rest came as OEM products with the machines I bought (or I could at least presuade the shop to give me an OEM OS with a set of motherboard/CPU/graphics board). I think the consumer line of MS OSes is around 300 dollars if you buy it new. Workstation or Server OSes like Win2K, Win2K server and Win2K Advanced/Enterprise Server range somewhere between 700 and some thousand dollars, depending on how many CPUs you have. Now compare this to products like Photoshop, Flash or even Maya. I don't wanna say that any of these products wasn't hard to create, but if you consider this, OSes are cheap. And why are they cheap? Because the companies selling those OSes want the customer to be bound to them. Apple wants us to be bound to Apple hardware. That's how the earn money. If Microsoft would have started as a hardware company, it would be the same.

I'm sorry I didn't look at this section sooner... Hi there FrgMstr!

Uttered by FrgMstr
why would you diss .net its an amazing all in one Development Enviroment...

and

In VC++ dont know about the rest you can go to full screen mode...

Okay, so you have experience with Visual C++, and don't seem to know about the rest, so I'm guessing that your statement about how amazing .NET is must be based on gut feeling and not experience. And the point of .NET was to get people to use Microsoft products and to have people keep all their personal info on Microsoft servers.

Now, the thing about that which is so bad (as if the security holes in Passport wasn't bad enough) is that Microsoft states in their licensing agreement that any information on Microsoft servers can be used by Microsoft without their needing the users permission. That means that if they want to go through people's Hotmail accounts, MSN accounts, and Passport information, they can.

Apple likes to make money too you know they do it by charging over the top prices for under rated hardware didnt you know. You dont moan about them not being giving and sharing

This would be the same Apple that held up Quicktime 6 and MPEG 4 because they don't want people to have to pay huge prices to use the standard like the other members of the MPEG 4 group wanted. The major difference between Apple (or most companies for that matter) and Microsoft is that Microsoft wants to get rid of competition.

And we can go round and round about the hardware, but we don't want you running from the site with your tail between your legs again, now do we.

No, they won't. Why, for the same reason Microsoft dropped support for Windows NT on PPC and MIPS, no application base to get users to move to those systems while using NT. We could go on with examples, but you wouldn't be able to follow along anyway.

Selling Operating Systems can be quite profitable, ask MicroSoft, but then i wouldnt expect Steve Jobs to think different

and

Microsoft Windows put MS where it is today

Microsoft is were it is today because of DOS, backwards compatible operating systems, and being pre-installed on almost every PC ever made (which means they earn money weather or not someone wants to use Windows or not). And getting people to use the Office products file formats as a standard. If you believe anything else, then you have a poor grasp of computer history.

And if selling operating systems is so profitable, what happened to Be and NeXT. Once they dropped the hardware, they started to lose profitability. No company is going to use the x86 platform for other operating systems because of all the great operating systems that have left or died on the platform (Solaris being the latest to drop x86 support). But hey, you know Windows, so what do you care what the rest of the computing world is doing.

Side Note:

I use this Forum because im thinking of getting a MAC.

How's that Mac working out for you? Oh and if this is like a few months ago where you said "well actually i was just saying it was funny(you lot take things to seriously and have no sense of humour)", actually I laugh at every thing you post. :D

Racer X

MS have had that info clause since hotmail started, nothing to do with .Net.

Visual studio.Net as a development enviroment is Second to NONE and you dont have to develop progs which reside on MS servers to use it. that is what i was commenting on and is why i said Apple doesnt have any Development suite ti match it.

I was not talking about the big picture of .Net which if you followed IT news you would know MS dropped the development of BlackCoombe (aka Hailstorm) yesteday because of lack of third party support.

so please people thats actually make sure we understand the comments before we start critisizing them.

also people act like apple have no security holes please give me a break if apple OS'es were scrutinised as much as MS OS'es im sure a few would be found :D

VS.net is just so user friendly and powerfull and has just about the fastest compilers available, well compared to GCC anyways :D

by the way i know compiler design is hard it is a large part of our course. Its very tedious to say the least.

Oh forgot i didnt end up getting a Mac in the end i gave in to temptation and put the money towards my Suzuki GSXR 750. Very tasty 0 - 60 mph 2.8 secs and top speed of 186mph limited of course :D . A BEAST i can tell you, the neighbours complain when i start it in the morning :D wakes the whole neighbourhood up.

Back