wwdc updates

I expected more from the keynote. Tiger looks like it will be a good upgrade but not a super great one .... and to add it will come out in the first half of 2005 ... too much waiting.

I guess the show to go will be MWSF.

Moving on to iChat AV now. Says that iChat's video in Tiger will be based on H624, which means the quality in iChat will be incredible. Steve also says that you will be able to chat with up to 10 people in voice chat, and up to 3 people in video conferencing (for a total of 4 people). Very cool, and the audience likes it.

yeah it all looks good but tiger's a bit of a letdown, hopefully more otherwise im not sure if i'll get it. but the multiple people av chatting looks cool. Dashboard great idea but ripoff of konfabulator and UGLY!

The ichat visuals are amazing. I can see CNN gettin some macs just to run those 3 person visuals... I wouldn't doubt if Apple has patented/trademarked that view...so so cool. I was a bit dissapointed by the hardware and really don't like the new mounting system for the displays, they should have had side swivel also... oh, well. I guess we'll have to wait for the paris expo in 2 months.

Disappionting? How was this disappointing? Remember, is the WWDC -- DC being "Developers' Conference." Most all the stuff announced is targeted at developers, so it's gonna be a lot of software stuff -- and DAMN good software at that! We're kicking MS's butt at video codecs, ease of coding, integration and everything else as far as I'm concerned.

not disappointing to me. I expected xcode updated to 1.5 - I saw 2.0. I expected to see some updates for the OS... I saw tiger. I expected to see some hardware... I saw some new monitors that are downright sexy.

but the big one. 30". I got disappointed with it. it's 1k more than the top of the line dual G5, and it needs a 500.00 vid card to run it.

bleh.

but the rest... I'm just happy that none of the other "confirmed" things came out. color iPods... HA!

*sorry, but I was seriously not disappointed*

"AMAZING"? I hope there's more in store for Macworld (which is unlikely since Apple's being fairly childish and not planning on attending...)

I guess I didn't expect more, but I'm not really that enthused about Tiger. I'm also pretty underwhelmed at the hardware offerings at the moment. Among all the other things, $999 for a 20" would have been very nice, $1299 is (still) pretty *yawn*

I'll admit, though, that I like the iChat AV stuff, though it really bugs me because I've never been able to use the EXISTING features. I know almost noone with a Mac, and I've never been able to get iChat to videoconference with anyone on AIM.

I have been wishing all morning that I could have seen the keynote live. Now, I'm glad I didn't waste the time. I think there was a serious lack of product introduction. He didn't even do the "wait, there's one more thing" bit at the end. Oh well. There's always MacWorld. I'll see you guys around then.

Everyone looks at it from different points of view, I look at it from a financial market perspective. This is not exactly what the markets were looking for and they are going to show that today or tomorrow with a loss. For most investors it's easier to comprehend gains from hardware than software though the software is where a large majority of the gains come from. Secondly, most of what we saw was targeted at audio visual people. If they came out with a few biz only apps maybe I could have accepted that... but many many people were looking for more info on ipods and the imac... all in all I was impressed but expected a bit more.

Looks like XCode had a huge update. Live class modeling which automatically updates the models for you.

This is great, no more UML diagrams all done by hand :D

Also, better code completion (YAY), and better Java support with built in ANT support for building JAVA web applications.
XCode now has remote debugging :D
XCode(through GCC 3.5) has auto-vectorization which means your code will take advantage of altivec automatically(to a point).

H.264/AVC looks incredible, I can't wait to give that a try.

iChat looks really cool with the 3 way chatting.

Spotlight instant searching:
This is one of the touted features that Longhorn was going to have, but which got scrapped because MS doesn't think it'll be finished in time for the 2006 release.
We will have this in 2005 and will no doubt work better than whatever MS dreams up.

Spotlight lets you have smart folders which automatically update with files of whatever criteria you specify. Works like smart playlists in iTunes. :D

Ok, here's my take. A bit disappointing, nothing that made the masses go "wow" -- displays cool but WAY too expensive for most. And Tiger is a mixed bag. Yes, it is a lot of great ideas, and will probably be a fairly good OS, but it's not as amazing as the other updates, no revolutionary things. My question is, where was apple's GUI team when this was going on? The little blue things at either end look dumb, and hopefully the idea of the Dashboard screenshot is that you can have different themes for each widget because they lack the unifying look that makes apple so great. And if you can't have widgets on the desktop as you work, that will make me really mad...one of the great things about Konfabulator and Stickies is that they're unobtrusive little reminders, whereas Dashboard its more, oh I have to check (press key). And spotlight is nice and powerful - maybe too powerful? Because who would honestly want to search for Yosemite in their computer and online? Usually when I search I have something in mind I want, and I don't want a mondo search. However, iChat really excites me as do smart folders and the Automate thing or whatever. And Apple has until early 05 to prove me wrong on the other things, so I'll keep hoping that I will like Tiger.

I was suprised as well but is tiger really being released in 2005? that wait i admit is too long.

Also where the hell are the color screen iPods?!?!? I was planning on buying one..Awww darnit, guess i have to wait.

As for the new displays man all pros and 1 con..the price. They should have put a 17 inch one out but that over shadow the other 17inch display. The displays in all is sexy but it sort of looks like a normal display, whereby the old apple display was sort of unqiue in looks( you could have tell it was apple).

Stupid people who complain about the price of a 30" display...It's for freakin' professionals. If you claim to be a professional and you claim to need a screen that big then you should be successful enough to afford it. If you can't afford it perhaps you either shouldn't be considered a professional or you aren't successful enough and you should give up and stop complaining about Apple. And another thing, stop complaining about Tiger and all the other updates because like most updates they initially seem like they won't matter much and then you apply them to your everyday computer uses and it all makes tons of sense just the way Apple intended them to do so in the first place. That's what makes them geniuses and you just some average computer user who thinks he/she needs a 30" display........

Ryan, some of the ppl here are such professionals. Not every one here is such an average computer user like you and me.
However, I think $3300 is a bunch of money, if you consider, you could get almost 3 of the 20'' for that money. How much is the price for the low-resolution plasma-screens? I think some ppl here are thinking of using the 30'' cinema for playing back their dvds or so. In that case a plasma should do much better

People complaining about "no ipods, not enough hardware" really should stop to consider what WWDC is. A developers' conference. Any iPod release will happen either at a consumer-oriented Expo or as a separate release, as has been Apple's style lately.

Back