10.3.5 (Complete Thread)

chevy

Marvelous Da Vinci
Staff member
Mod
Accroding to macbidouille, 10.3.5 has been seeded. So we'll have at least one more revision before Tiger.

With nearly a year before Tiger ships, we will most likely have seveal more revisions. Remember, 10.2 had 8 revisions in it's lifetime. I'm betting we'll at least see 9 for 10.3 before Tiger's release (not counting Security Fixes).

Strictly for fun, I'm putting my money on 10.3.6 as the final 10.3 release before 10.4. Any takers?

In addition to 10.3.6, I'll bet we see exactly three security updates before 10.4, starting off with a security update for Apache.

;)

ElDiabloConCaca said:
In addition to 10.3.6, I'll bet we see exactly three security updates before 10.4, starting off with a security update for Apache.

;)

Ehm... Apache gets security updates constantly. That would be an unfair bet. :mad:

I propose antother bet: we will be loyal Mac users forever until Microsoft buys Apple and installs Windows under the Intel G6 chipsets. :confused:

(Oh my... I think it is too early here in Spain. I'm already missing the point).

apache is due to be updated from 1.3.27 to 1.3.31 i think. That is the last release that will be made in the 1.3 line of apache webservers - its all version 2 now

Does this mean Server Config for OSX Server will finally have a graphical utility to configure apache2?

I'll take up your bet on the security updates - I'll bet that there's five before 10.4 comes out.

Anyone want to speculate on when Apple abandons 10.2 (i.e. stops releasing security updates) the way they've abandoned 10.0 and 10.1? Which incidentally I think is grossly irresponsible of them...

scruffy said:
Anyone want to speculate on when Apple abandons 10.2 (i.e. stops releasing security updates) the way they've abandoned 10.0 and 10.1? Which incidentally I think is grossly irresponsible of them...

...as soon as 10.4 is out, I'm betting... ;) Seem they only like to support two OSs at once, and since all iterations of Mac OS X have been radically different to an extent, I can see why.

Computers and software (software especially) are no longer things you purchase and use until you feel like upgrading -- the advances in technology come at a quicker pace these days than they did 10 or 15 years ago, and it's becoming more like a subscription rather than an outright purchase.

I'm just fine with that as long as Apple keeps its OS price under $130... I have a feeling that Tiger may cost $150, though... anyone wanna bet on that?! ;)

I'm not convinced - for example, when a vulnerability was found in openssh, the patched version was released very shortly after (about two days or so). Most vendors released security updates for all versions of their OSes, back to approximately the dawn of time, within a week. All they had to do was compile the updated openssh package for each version, and make it available by whatever software update mechanism they use.

Apple was the slowest of the major vendors to make the update available - took them weeks longer than everyone else. And even then they only bothered for 10.2 (10.3 wasn't out yet) - 10.0 and 10.1 still have the vulnerable sshd today.

ElDiabloConCaca said:
I have a feeling that Tiger may cost $150, though... anyone wanna bet on that?! ;)
Yes. I'll bet you $129 because Apple has already stated that it'll cost $129. ::ha:: :D

ElDiabloConCaca said:
Strictly for fun, I'm putting my money on 10.3.6 as the final 10.3 release before 10.4. Any takers?
Do the proceeds go to Scott for the upkeep of this site?

Hehe... well, no, actually, because I don't have it installed. ;)

And no, the proceeds (call 'em what you want, I call 'em WINNINGS!) go to me. Unless I lose. Then they go to the winner. I'll cut Scott a little piece of the pie... this has been a good forum to me; entertaining and thought provoking. I'll give him 30%. ;)

Back