10.3.5 (Complete Thread)

Doesn't seem like it. You mean the Setup Assistant that allows for importing another Mac's info, right? That's currently part of new machines, afaik, and will be part of Tiger.

Well, the new machines are supposed to be having a build of it included, as well as 10.3.5. Unless Apple will be using it on Panther with top-of-the-line Macs and incorporated for all in Tiger.

Btw.: New PowerMacs ship with 10.3.4 right now. So 10.3.5 is developed independently of that release.

From MacMinute

MacFixIt reports that the newly updated Power Mac G5s are the first to include Apple's new "System Migration" feature. "Apple simplicity lets you add a Power Mac G5 to your creative studio without days of downtime configuring a new system," says Apple on its Web site. "The new Mac OS X setup assistant helps you effortlessly move user accounts, system preferences, documents and applications from an old Mac to a new Power Mac G5 -- and the transfer is FireWire fast."

And that made me wonder if it being included solely on top-of-the Macs or if it's being included in 10.3.5 or reaching the masses with Tiger.

Safari 1.3 is not part of 10.3.5. Not in the beta builds at least, Safari is a separate package.

And while we're talking about it... 7M28 is out for ADC Select and Premier members.

There are several ways. If you're a student, you can get a 99$ yearly ADC student membership, which grants you access to such builds. If you're not a student, a normal ADC Select account costs 499$ (including 5 Seed Access Keys). You can also just become an ADC member for free, but then you don't get a seed key, just the 'normal' stuff. You can then (don't remember where) apply for a seed-membership, but I don't think Apple really just gives those out. More info: http://connect.apple.com

off topic: is there any discount on hardware in that $99 student ADC membership? I know, it is written somewhere, but now that you are still online I gotta ask. ;)

Dunno. :) Ain't got one of those student accounts... Doesn't the page say something about it?

Interesting. So you have to pay Apple to test their stuff for them? What do you get out of it apart from getting the software a bit earlier with bugs in? Sorry if I haven't understood this properly...

I had thought they might do you a favour, like minor discounts or leasing deals or something - not that that puts me off, didnt expect to get anything out of it really, just a bit surprised that it actually costs to become a one.

I suppose the cost issue cuts out the time-wasters, but can that be much of an issue? Also, what testing do you do? Do you just use the machine normally, or try and break applications, or get a list if things to look at?

Sorry for all the questions, you're the first seed-tester I've "met"....

Actually, what it looks like fryke is talking about is not being a seed tester, but signing up as a developer. As a developer, you pay to get pre-release versions of Apple software for the purposes of testing/developing your software to work with them (ok, so perhaps that is not the purpose some/most people sign up with, but that is the intended purpose). As a developer, you also get discounts on hardware/software and the like, I belive. Yes, in the process, you also get to test the Apple software and report bugs to them, but that is not the primary purpose of the program.

The true beta-testing takes place throuigh the Apple Seed program (http://appleseed.apple.com). This is a free program, where you sign up with the sole intent of testing pre-release apple software and trying to track down bugs. There are no incentives to this program, other than the pride of knowing you helped to make sure the best OS remaines the best OS. This is completly seperate from the developer program, only a select few are chosen, and you have to sign and obey a rigourous NDA or you are kicked out of the program. This program is VERY strict about leaks, having even shut down seeds or restricted information given to participants on occasion due to leaks. They are also not accepting new applicants at this time.

MacMuppet said:
Interesting. So you have to pay Apple to test their stuff for them? What do you get out of it apart from getting the software a bit earlier with bugs in? Sorry if I haven't understood this properly...

Also, what testing do you do? Do you just use the machine normally, or try and break applications, or get a list if things to look at?

To answer the first part (well, it has already been answered a bit), this is not what it's about. Being a developer, you want to test the applications/hardware you develop against future operating system releases. Through ADC you get what you need in order to be fast enough to market with your software/hardware. I'm not a developer myself.

About the second paragraph I quoted: As an ADC Select member, you're free what you want to test. I personally test my 'usual' working environment against new builds of OS X. Backing up is the most important part here, of course. ;-) ... But luckily (knock on wood) nothing bad has happened to me testing OS X builds. The last time I actually lost some work due to a Mac OS beta was 'Harmony' - Mac OS 7.6b3c1. It erased my startup volume. Ever since, of course, I'm doing my backups more regularly.

fryke said:
There are several ways. If you're a student, you can get a 99$ yearly ADC student membership, which grants you access to such builds. If you're not a student, a normal ADC Select account costs 499$ (including 5 Seed Access Keys). You can also just become an ADC member for free, but then you don't get a seed key, just the 'normal' stuff. You can then (don't remember where) apply for a seed-membership, but I don't think Apple really just gives those out. More info: http://connect.apple.com

Actually, student members don't get seeds. We are effectively Mailing Members with a couple extra benefits: getting OS updates when they are publically released on CD, a single-use hardware discount.

Krevinek said:
Actually, student members don't get seeds. We are effectively Mailing Members with a couple extra benefits: getting OS updates when they are publically released on CD, a single-use hardware discount.
How much is that discount?

Back