add remove programs how?

Completely erase your hard disk, reinstall system, reinstall games. This should be ok. If not, you can buy a new Mac and install the demo again.

If you think that this is too expensive or too much work, you may consider buying the games.

The theory here is:
You play a demo.
The demo should allow you to play long enough to decide if you want to buy it.
So, you buy it, because you want to support the developer, who may then have other games that you like, or will then know there's interest to continue developing new games, or simply to update that game.
Or, if you don't like the game enough to purchase, you remove the demo (because it has expired)
Or, you move on to some other demo - same plan...
Am I being too idealistic with that?

The theory here is:
You play a demo.
The demo should allow you to play long enough to decide if you want to buy it.
So, you buy it, because you want to support the developer, who may then have other games that you like, or will then know there's interest to continue developing new games, or simply to update that game.
Or, if you don't like the game enough to purchase, you remove the demo (because it has expired)
Or, you move on to some other demo - same plan...
Am I being too idealistic with that?

experience has told me that A) the demo doesn't provide you enough play time to decide on it (60 mins is not enough) B)the game once bought you find out WASN'T even worth the money to buy to begin with sur meny online games are 20 bucks max but a majority of such games (Bejeweled, Chuzzle, or Mummy Maze to list a few) aren't even worth buying when you can play the full versions online to begin with. or were so shot and simple of games you finish them in less than a day.

60 minutes is plenty of time. You obviously want more than 60 minutes, meaning you're interested enough to want to play more. So it's time to buy.

If you buy a game and don't feel it's "worth it," then you have something to complain to the developer about (although I would suggest using much better grammar, capitalization, and punctuation so that they may take you seriously), and the developer may opt to help you out with a refund or maybe a discount on a future game.

"Not enough demo time" and "not worth the money" are absolute horse-hockey reasons to circumvent the demo time. Pony up the money or quit playing their games. You're not entitled to free games that are not free. Wanna play games? Get a job, get money, buy games. That's how it goes. You don't need to have access to every game under the sun -- two or three for $10 a pop will keep you plenty entertained until you can save up some more money to expand your library.

Last edited:
I did call it a theory, after all. :D

And - in your experience - the theory fails.
Nothing too unusual about that....

I have also been disappointed after purchasing a game to play after the demo period, and found the demo was pretty much the whole game.
I'm guessing that some demos are what they are - to get you interested enough to pay your money. I do run into some games occasionally that the demo allows you to play all parts of the game - but annoys the crap out of you with the 'buy this game to remove this annoying message' message
There's great demos for the Mac on Steam - but (of course) you won't get there on a PPC Mac.

What's the answer?
Find a game publisher that will 'rent' a game, so you can try the whole game. They will refund the rental if the game doesn't suit your needs.
Buying the game means that you participate in sending the developers to a financial management course.
Oh, and good luck finding that publisher/developer...!

60 minutes is plenty of time. You obviously want more than 60 minutes, meaning you're interested enough to want to play more. So it's time to buy.

If you buy a game and don't feel it's "worth it," then you have something to complain to the developer about (although I would suggest using much better grammar, capitalization, and punctuation so that they may take you seriously), and the developer may opt to help you out with a refund or maybe a discount on a future game.

"Not enough demo time" and "not worth the money" are absolute horseshit reasons to pirate the software or circumvent the demo time. Pony up the money or quit playing their games. You're not entitled to free games that are not free. Wanna play games? Get a job, get money, buy games. That's how it goes. You don't need to have access to every game under the sun -- two or three for $10 a pop will keep you plenty entertained until you can save up some more money to expand your library.

i can detect two things wrong with your post 1 you said "horseshit" which is profanity and a violation of the forum rules 2 you also mentioned piracy, which is another violation no where was pirating software ever mentioned in this thread.

Second of all lose the attitude no one is even going to listen to anything you say when you act like a dick.

Last edited:
I did call it a theory, after all. :D

And - in your experience - the theory fails.
Nothing too unusual about that....

I have also been disappointed after purchasing a game to play after the demo period, and found the demo was pretty much the whole game.
I'm guessing that some demos are what they are - to get you interested enough to pay your money. I do run into some games occasionally that the demo allows you to play all parts of the game - but annoys the crap out of you with the 'buy this game to remove this annoying message' message
There's great demos for the Mac on Steam - but (of course) you won't get there on a PPC Mac.

What's the answer?
Find a game publisher that will 'rent' a game, so you can try the whole game. They will refund the rental if the game doesn't suit your needs.
Buying the game means that you participate in sending the developers to a financial management course.
Oh, and good luck finding that publisher/developer...!

i never heard of renting a computer game from anywhere all every site has ever mentioned was "Download Demo/Trial/Now" or "Buy Now" I, Like you, have also had the experience of the demo pretty much being the whole game if a case like that or on cases you can actually continue a game on a demo wouldn't it be just as easy to offer the whole game for free if you can play the whole game in a demo anyways?

i can detect two things wrong with your post 1 you said "horseshit" which is profanity and a violation of the forum rules 2 you also mentioned piracy, which is another violation no where was pirating software ever mentioned in this thread.

Thanks for the heads-up, LeoTheLion89. My post has been edited as such. Now that the offending points have been edited and/or taken out, you're welcome to go back and actually address the content of my post rather than nit-picking it to death on technicalities.

I eagerly await your analysis.

Thanks for the heads-up, LeoTheLion89. My post has been edited as such. Now that the offending points have been edited and/or taken out, you're welcome to go back and actually address the content of my post rather than nit-picking it to death on technicalities.

I eagerly await your analysis.

i don't nit-pick you have done that. I will not argue with you. And you cannot prove this is LeoTheLion89 curcumstance is not proof

*** Edit by chevy ***
If you are not LeoTheLion89, you are his brother as you share the same IP
*** Edit by chevy ***

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a difference between nit-picking and addressing specific points of a post. You nit-picked (pointing out my board rule violations), while I addressed specific points (game demo time limits, addressing the developers over fair pricing, etc.).

The short and skinny of this thread is that there is no blanket way to reset a game demo, as the time limits imposed by game developers on their demo software is controlled by them. What works for one game may not work for another, even if those titles come from the same developer. There is also the ethical question (whether or not it's law-abiding or legal) of continued use of something that you're not entitled to use beyond a certain amount of time... this gets into a gray area where some people think it's ok to continue to use demo software in violation of the EULA of the software, while others think it isn't ok, and it's high time to pony up to the developer and pay them for their hard work.

The short and skinny of this "disagreement" overall is that you "wasted" one account here (LeoTheLion89 -- funny how his posts stopped once ComputerDude showed up, right?) by starting off on the wrong foot and blatantly disregarding the board rules all the while posting thinly-veiled questions that, while not 100% "piracy-related," toe the line close enough that they are suspect, at the least. Then you sign on under a completely different account (since the old one has so much bad rep, I assume), type in the same, exact manner as LeoTheLion89 (lack of capitalization and punctuation), ask questions that are extremely similar to LeoTheLion89, and admit to owning computers that are (surprise, surprise), exact clones of the computers that LeoTheLion89 uses (eMacs and iBooks ring any bells?). I don't recommend a life of crime for you, as you may not be very good at it. Some people "get away with murder" all the time, because they're smart, cunning, forward-thinking, and know how to cover their tracks very well. I have my doubts that you'd make it through the first.

My point is that you're fooling none of us here (I hope -- at least not me). We're an Apple-loving bunch of people here who have no problem paying for the equipment and software we use, legally, and who offer help to those in need -- completely free and in a timely manner. If we can't afford something, we save our monies, come here, and talk about it until we've saved enough to get whatever that happens to be -- then, we return again to discuss how we like it and ask others of their opinions on the products, services, and hardware/software. You, on the other hand, are trying to exploit this free help and this lovely forum to figure out how to circumvent copy protection and obtain software for free (as if Linux and everything you can get for Linux isn't free enough for you already). As said before, there are literally a crap-ton of sites on the internet that are completely devoted to this crappy kind of "entitlement" mindset -- quit trying to turn this forum into one of those places.

I'm not arguing with you, but your repeated attempts at getting us to help you circumvent game demo times, pirated software (which is blatantly obvious, even though you don't outright say it), and your justification for pirating software ("the price is too high!" "the game isn't worth it anyway!" "anyone know of a torrent for this software?") aren't making much headway. This isn't a court of law -- we don't need to "prove" anything beyond a reasonable doubt with hard-and-fast evidence. This is a forum, and the rules of the board are not laws -- they're rules, and they can change, and they're fuzzy, and you can get "close enough" to a violation of a rule without actually violating it and get slapped on the wrist... as opposed to a law, where you can get REALLY close to breaking it but they can't "get you" until you actually break it. And sometimes, our oldest and best forum members (MisterMe, fryke, chevy, Cheryl, Giaguara, DeltaMac, and countless others) can sometimes cross a line and be let off the hook... because overall, they're contributing, law-abiding members. You have to prove yourself first over time and with help and obeying the rules and walking on eggshells, and you're doing a horrible job at that.

Edit: Strange, both LeoTheLion89 and ComputerDude are 22 years old. The plot thickens, and we are inching ever so close to "court of law" evidence! :)

Last edited:
i never pointed out anything about a iBook and there is lots of eMac users trying to reset a demo is in no way,shape or form asking indecating or aknowledging Piracy. P2P programs and files (torrents, magnets, etc...) Are not illegal what you do with them is the where the legal aspect comes in. say you want to download Windows XP because you own your COA but lost the CD is this illegal? not always if you are using the product key you bought than its not however if you dont own XP and use software to fool it then it is. Also say you are trying to find a old version of a FREE program and it is not listed on old version websites let say you want to download Xandros Desktop OS 3 which is obsolete but was completely free is this illegal? No. I am not even "Close to" violating rules resetting a game demo or any demo is not illegal in any way whatsoever and does not in anyway come in range of any rules.

I was asking in THEORY can a demo be reset is the game the full version? No. Would it be illegally obtained? No. Did i say i was going to do it? Did i imply it? No asking if its possible is not implying "I want to do this is it possible?"

Last edited:
Computer dude, you should take your day out. Take advantage of the nice sunny weather, even if a bit cold (32 °F) and windy (around 12 mph NW wind, I suppose).

I was asking in THEORY can a demo be reset is the game the full version? No. Would it be illegally obtained? No. Did i say i was going to do it? Did i imply it? No asking if its possible is not implying "I want to do this is it possible?"

ComputerDude said:
well I like playing games. So I download the demos. What I want to do is when the demo runs out, clear the files and then reinstall the game so I can continue playing it until I can buy it

No implication needed, you came right out and basically said, "This is not me asking for answers to theoretical situations, this is me asking, explicitly, how to reset a game demo because I download and play game demos and I want to reset the game demo time."

It was nice of you to add, "...until I can buy it," but, in all honesty, I question whether that day will ever come.

being how demos only let you go so far resetting it or not, at some point a demo would have to be bought or forgotten

Last edited:
c05eae79.jpg

--J.D.

ok i am not sure if this well help give more info but the demos i download are from BigFishGames would this procedure work on all bigfish games or would it depend on the particular game installed?

Even if you and your Evil Twin™ are gone now, please consider supporting the game and app developers for software that you really love, especially if the apps or games are made by smaller companies. For a big company like Micro$oft your $5 or $10 will not make much difference, but for a small, independent developer it makes a difference. If you like the game, or app, after its demo has run out of time, consider supporting the makers of that software. If whatever that game costs is too expensive for your taste, try some other games that are cheaper or free.

There are ton of free games and freemium games too. Even if you can complete all the game functions free with some patience, if it's a really cool game or app, sometimes even the $ 2 for some feature is a nice way to support its independent developers. What you don't want is all of the small developers of Really Cool Games to get sour because they can't pay their bills and to quit making all those cool games and go work as a slave for some Big Evil Software Corp™ like Zynga. (Wait, Zynga does have some freemium games too. Pretend to not be concerned about your privacy, and you're good with them. Good enough).

Back