Apple - two words to consider: "Home Automation"

There are plenty of UK/EU sites that sell home automation equipment - including X10 stuff.

I wonder if the PowerLinc adapter would work through a step-down convertor.

thank lnoelstorr - i'd found the uk x10 sites (with a little help from karavite ;-) )

I just coudn't finda 240v powerlinc 1132u (in fact, there is no powerlinc anything listed in the uk sites!)

the convertor idea is worth investigating though!

Applewhore! How are you? How's the water temperature these days? :) Forgive me, I didn't recognize you on your earlier posts!

If you want to be like this guy in Finland, maybe you could check into the Sailing Clicker? http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/11007

I don't know much about it, but it will allow you to "communitate/control" via certain blue tooth enabled cell phones (Ericson I think) and even newer Palms. I think it is also supported through Indigo. Where do you get a bluetooth enabled oven? I'm afraid that one is up to you! :)

You know, speaking of Indigo have you checked their website forums or posted a message on your voltage issues? The guy who runs Indigo is really responsive and if anyone knows, I am sure it would be him.

hi karavite!

Must have been the new hairdo that stopped you recognising me?!?

I'm not sure about wanting to be exactly like the guy in Finland (my girlfriend already works the oven perfectly well - using nothing more sophisticated than "voice recognition"), but some of what's discussed in the article, to mimic Cartman, is "sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet"!

I use Salling Clicker already - it's mind blowing - I love it! Even if you don't use it every day, it's one of those bits of software that is worth buying just for the "show-off" factor (although I have to admit I've lost more than one "sale" recently by people being more interested with how I controlled my PB's Keynote presentation via T610 than actually listening to what I had to say!)

Weather here is awful - we spent the day by the pool yesterday (90 degrees, by the way! ;-) ) trying to avoid getting sunburned, supping heinkens and generally misbehaving... need i say more?!

I'll try getting in touch with indigo man - I really want to take home automation forward - I am apparently stopped by the "PC controller" (which looks like a $0.99 piece of kit - very frustrating!)

thanks... :)

Hey Karavite ... Wow ... I have only just read your reply of August 11 2003 at 11:22pm ...

... and I hope the techies at Apple do or have ...

You really have hit the nail on the head!

I want home automation for security, (curtains open/closed, outside lights synched to video etc) and pure convenience. The same people who criticised the original tv/video remotes as unnecessary are at it again.

I am currently spending a fortune on audio/visual tv/dvd/satellite stuff all of which I really want to control through my Macs wirelessly from anywhere.

I want to turn into my drive, press a switch (or two) on a special remote to perform the following at the same time: open the garage door, switch off the house alarm system, start the kettle for a cup of tea (yes ... I'm British), open all the curtains wide and put the hall, lounge and kitchen lights on, play my preferred internet radio station, (if it's dark) put the garden and pond lights on ........ I can do all of these things manually, but it takes time that could be better spent beating the wife and child and abusing pc users.

Apple (if it is to survive) really needs to keep up the innovation, not rest on the laurels of previous brilliance and quality. It MUST jump into home automation in a big way.

I personally think Apple should largely drop the hardware, let the cloners come back and concentrate (cf Microsoft) on the software/middleware side.

My immediate problem is I have 2 macs and 2 PCs at home on a wired network (that kind of talk to each other), a separate mobile (cell) phone that doesn't talk to anything and is ready to be upgraded, a Palm Tungsten T that syncs my home Macs to my work PC just for 'to dos'. My e-mails through Mac Mail/Address at home are totally separate from my work PC-Outlook-based e-mails/addresses.

I need a single unifying portable phone/PC that will integrate the lot!

Currently ... I am just dreaming.

andrefrancis2 said:
I can do all of these things manually, but it takes time that could be better spent beating the wife and child and abusing pc users.
you're definitely a Brit!

The Americans wouldn't dare be so "un-PC"!!!

Loved your post - thanks - made me LOL!

:D

Oh boy, so much to reply to.

First to my old buddy applewhore. I'm REALLY worried about you so please be careful in the sun! Meanwhile, you might be happy to know I have successfully chipped away all the ice from my front steps! I would like to explore the sailing clicker too, but we are soon to buy a house and I need to show some fiscal responsibility here at home! Still, that cracks me up about your presentations and people being distracted by your own tech savvyness. There has to be some way to turn that to your advantage. Do you remember a really old Apple ad - way back when the laser printer came out - where a team presented a set of really slick documents and the customer asked, "How did you do this?" They responded, "Hire us and we'll tell you." Maybe you should use something like that!

andrefrancis2 - I think you and me and applewhore have a lot in common. As we accumulate more and more stuff including computers, home audio and video, phones (cell and at home), PDAs, lighting, appliances... we ask ourselves "Why can't all our stuff communicate?" As we get more and more stuff designed to make our lives easier, it actually ends up complicating it (or for our spouses!). There are plenty of little solutions out there for specific things, but it is nowhere near having it all come together.

On the other hand, if you are REALLY rich, it is not a problem. I frequent a local high end audio/video store where customers here in Connecticut spend up to $200,000 to have their homes automated including security, phone and audio/video all over the house. For example, I am enjoying a movie in my custom home theater and someone presses the intercom at my lovely estate's security gate. The movie screen displays a message that someone is at my gate. I pick up the phone set and the movie volume instantly mutes. I speak to the person at the gate, discover it is my decorator with some new home designs and I buzz them in the gate by pressing a certain key on my phone (which also unlocks the front door so I don't need to get up and let them in). By the way, there are options for having the intercom audio routed to the house audio system, microphones and speakers, but I didn't want to digress!

What we seem to need is "home automation for the rest of us." I think all of this is obvious to the whole consumer electronics world and new protocols and devices are coming around, but will it really be innovative and easy to use? Who knows, but the #1 experts at innovation and ease of use are, in my opinion, Apple.

In addition, just what is making home computers "sexy" out there these days? Not much if you ask me. PC home sales are slowing down as the need for faster and faster hardware to run the latest version of Word is not such a big deal. There is an appeal for video editing and images, music files..., but most people see their current home computers (Mac or PC) as pretty adequate for what they need. Perhaps newer computers with software that enables them to be a much more powerful home command center (ie a "digital hub") would spark interest and the IT economy in terms of home users - that and a whole range of devices built around protocols for communication, networking and control...

Only geeks like us are going to shop around and explore all the latest little new things and struggle to get them working. "The rest of us" (and those without the budgets to have it all installed for them) want it all in a box!

Right Chevy - like I said there is a lot out there for specific solutions, but still no way to tie it all together. Should it be through a central home computer or through a wide variety of smarter devices all using some common protocol, or both? I have no idea. I can see a lot of risk for Apple in jumping into home automation with both feet (MS would have the spare cash to gamble on this sort of thing, but they can only function by idea stealing) and I seriously doubt they will, but maybe one or two really slick Apple products/innovations that connect the Mac to some new Apple device will pave the way to new opportunities and show people how to do it right. I think the iPod is a great example of how Apple can do this sort of thing and it goes beyond Macs to Pcs too now of course.

The thread that never dies...

FYI, I was in the doctors office the other day reading a computer magazine and there was an article on home automation/home theater and "convergence" of all these home gadgets to network and function together. Seems Sony is pegging the game console as THE box to grow into a home automation/audio system. For example, the Playstation X will work as a music server (mp3s, cd audio and internet audio). In the same article Microsoft doesn't see the same function with the Xbox, but you can bet they will if Sony's ideas take off and I bet they will. In the same article a MS person was quoted as saying "we see the PC as the hub of the digital lifestyle" - I will try and find this magazine, but that quote made me want to scream. Once again, MS is building on an idea of Apple - I mean how close can you get to saying "digital hub."

Hey, just found it online!: http://news.com.com/2009-1043_3-5114058.html

Also, the New York Times had an article on using HDTVs to view personal digital images and mentioned that networking these puppies are not easy to network - http://www.nytimes.com/2004/03/04/technology/circuits/04stat.html

So, Sony or Microsoft? I'd bet on Sony. So where is Apple?

As the article says :

"Microsoft and the PC industry have a two-to-three-year window to simplify home networking and moving content around the home," American Technology Research's McNealy said.

Or could it be APPLE?!?!?! :rolleyes:

Interesting article in the NYT - I've been trying to buy the Roku Soundbridge (simply to hook up to my PowerMac and trial it out distributing tunes round the house) for a couple of weeks now, but they are only set up to accept orders within the US :mad: so now they are indeed "cowering behind their e-mail"!!!

Never mind - perhaps one day - in the meantime I'm still trying to find a decent European supplier of X10 :confused:

Sorry... I have to...

misc8.jpg

:D

Hey Arden! - It took me a few seconds, but I get it! the mummy has lived for thousands of years and you can't kill him. At first I thought Frankenstein would have been more appropriate given all the gadget talk (I mean he is basically network ready with those jacks on his neck)! :)

Any way, I don't think this thread should die. All this talk about digital convergence continues to happen and many companies are going to have a shot at it, including Apple. It will be esciting to watch. It's funny - back in 1995 everyone talked about "multi-media" but that was pretty much CD roms and audio in a presentation file. Now we seem to be entering a new area much more worthy of the name.

I think that Apple is already making strides. I go to a school that is 99.9% windows (there's one mac in a less than 100 user environment - and it's in the lab), but there is a thriving network of itunes users that share music everyday while we work. It has been very cool to see this change from when I started and people scoffed at running iTunes (WHY when you have wmp??.....gasp) to now where I can open the app and sift through a dozen playlists on other people's computers. Granted we are a bunch of techno-freaks but the idea is still there. So the thread is definitely relevant. I am really happy to see some rendezvous-based "gagdets" starting to come out too.

What about the future integration of "Spoken Interface", anticipated for 10.4?

Methinks this could work rather nicely with the whole Home Automation theme... ;-)

Ah Applewhore, spoken interfaces are key to my Captain Picard inspired fantasies of home automation. Do you know that I bought my 2nd mac - a Quadra 660 AV - on the spot because it answered me? That's right. The AVs had built in speech recognition. Sure it was very simple with about 35 recognizable commands, but apparently someone at the store (a Compusa if you can believe it) was clever enough to program it to recognize a certain phrase that I ended up using and being super surprized. You see, I was playing with the speech recognition and after it responded to a few things I said, "This is so cool" - the computer responded with "Thank you."

Any way, that was the beginning, but Apple dropped the ball and failed to keep up on speech recognition while Dragon and IBM went way ahead with it on the PC (though to be fair, ViaVoice for Mac was almost always available and I think works pretty darn well). I'm not sure what Apple will offer that ViaVoice can't already do, but I would imagine there will be more connections to the OS and this could translate into all kinds of control/Applescript, including home automation software!

You know, I've said this 1000 times, but if Apple could make a computer today that is as exciting and new as the Quadra AVs were in 1993, that would really be something. It wasn't just a faster machine or an OS, it was the well thought out package that was way way way beyond anything anyone else was doing (well, except for Amiga a few years before! - had 2 of those two and I had to wait for OS X for the kind of multitasking I was spoiled with on an Amiga in 1988). I mean the AVs had voice recognition, telephony features (Geo port - my Mac was my answering machine and speaker phone), a dedicated DSP chip for audio/video, stereo audio and S-Video in and out to name a few things. A 2004 analogy to the AVs would be a complete home/office auotmation digital hub Mac!!!

Seriously, think about 1993 - Microsoft had what, Windows 3.1 and Apple made a machine like the AVs!!!! It was a beautiful time and I will always have a special place in my heart for my 660 AV. Ahhhhhhhh............

Back