Attention Mac Pirates...

I hope anti-piracy technologies will be good enough to stop piracy. So when someone buys a PC, he will pay for Windows XXX too ($125 in Switzerland for an OEM version ), pay for Office ($400-800),... and then slowly understand that the software that is bundled with a Mac is worth some $$$.

Originally posted by serpicolugnut
My guess is that LiveMotion and Acrobat will be the next to be killed on the Mac.

Once again...... I think Live Motion is dead, so in this case I think your guess is off the mark.... unless you know something I don't.

I agree with you in general. I just wanted to clarify this.... again.

slo

hey, wouldnt this mean that Final Cut Pro will now be pirated?
though downloading it would take days (since its about 1 gig).......

serpicolugnut, thanks for the article. And as per normal, there are many many-of-view why Adobe did this and that.

But I honour your stand against piracy as it hurt everything and everyone (except the pirates themselves) and I believe that we should do our part to minimise piracy.

It is a never ending war against piracy and there is no way this war will end anytime soon. If anyone is using an app frequently enough, then pay for it. Short and simple.

Thanks for everyone's opinion.

I am a composer by profession in Asia, and depended on royalties to make a living and the drop in my income only shows that piracy is now a major problem, but of course, I will not write off greedy record labels making false claims.

Well, that is life.

Adobe dropped Premier because it is severly inferior to Final Cut Pro. I've been a film student for 4 years and I've been using FCP that long... so I know something about this [just look at my site: www.sickdimension.com].

This is a case of survival of the fittest... What competitors to photoshop are there?? Photoshop is king of its kind, just like FCP is king in the world of video editing.

Apple will continue to make FCP the best video editing software there is because its mac only which means: in order to use the best desktop video editing software, you have to buy a mac!

The following things are on my comp "pirated":
Flash MX
Fireworks MX
Final Cut Express
VPC 6

Flash MX: i never really use, i just wanted a little trial that is over 1 month, just to fool around with it a bit, and i'm not ready to spend money for something like that.
Fireworks MX: I own Photoshop. I dont even use Fireworks lol. It's just an app that i thought looked cool. I'll prolly trash it.
Final Cut Express: I don't use this, lol i dont have a digital camera. But it is bound to come in handy one of these days.
Virtual PC 6: I paid soooooo much money for Virtual PC 5. I was completely disappointed. It was sooo slow, you wouldn't believe it. So i downloaded VPC 6 update, and i was happy! And i only use it for making extra game stuff, like characters for diablo ii.
OS X 10.1: I didn't pay for. That's because it was FREEEEEEEEE when i walked into the store!

My opinions:
1) It is well known that Adobe supports piracy. Of course, they publicly say that pirating is bad (as everyone should say), but c'mon. Obviously Adobe has made it SO EASY to pirate photoshop so that so MANY MILLIONS of people have it, that it actually increases their Photoshop sales. If Adobe didn't want Photoshop pirated, they would make it more difficult to pirate. I personally know 3 people who bought photoshop after having a pirated copy for a few years. (They finally had enough money to buy it.) They would have NEVER bought Photoshop if they couldn't have played with a pirated version for so long. Adobe knows this. Pirating helps Adobe. It's a hard concept to grasp, but it's true. I too plan on buying Photoshop pretty soon, as soon as I can drop the $600.

2. Premiere couldn't compete with FCP. That's why it got killed. No other reason. The Photoshop issue above applies to every adobe program.

And.. AFAIK Livemotion was discontinued a long time ago!

Originally posted by serpicolugnut
I now students will still cry poverty and claim that's too much. These are the same ones who will drop $60 at a time on music CDs or spend $50 on a night of drinking with friends, so I don't buy it.

Please don't generalize students.

I think the software prices are way to high. I don't drink every night and drop money on cds like you say.. I have STUDENT LOANS that i'm saving to pay for.

Some students don't spend time wasting money drinking, pirating, and dropping money on cds (by the way why do you think students will BUY cds? I thought you would think they pirate music as well according to your logic).

Piracy hurts everyone because the software companies have to charge more for their software to make a substantial profit. Imagine if everyone who had a computer bought Photoshop, and vowed to continue buying Photoshop (if there were no upgrade price). Now, would Adobe still charge $600 for it, or would they charge something like $300-400 due to sheer volume?

Hmm... Such a long and old story. Let's recap...

1.) Adobe has learned that Apple is a strong software competitor.
2.) Adobe decided not to code Premiere for the Mac any longer.
3.) Here we are amidst a piracy discussion.

So... My thoughts?

1.) Piracy is wrong. Don't do it.
2.) If you still do it, don't discuss it. Either have no regrets or stop doing it.
3.) Pay the software you're using.
4.) Piracy is _also_ helping Adobe. I know it's kind of a mute point, but some people just can't afford to buy a Photoshop license. They're learning to use the application in a pirated version. And if they're good at it, they're likely to buy the thing later on.

Originally posted by Fahrvergnuugen
Adobe dropped Premier because it is severly inferior to Final Cut Pro. I've been a film student for 4 years and I've been using FCP that long... so I know something about this [just look at my site: www.sickdimension.com].

I know this is off topic but. i am also an indi filmmaker and i was wondering where did you get the mounting rig???? did you make it yourself????? i have been using sandbags and such and it just plain sucks. please let me know i have been wanting a rig like that for a while.

Originally posted by arden
Piracy hurts everyone because the software companies have to charge more for their software to make a substantial profit. Imagine if everyone who had a computer bought Photoshop, and vowed to continue buying Photoshop (if there were no upgrade price). Now, would Adobe still charge $600 for it, or would they charge something like $300-400 due to sheer volume?

M$ Office is something that millions bought it and still costs anything >=$400 :p

I don't think that Adobe or any other big software house would lower their prices THAT much even in that scenario :rolleyes:

Originally posted by solrac
My opinions:
1) It is well known that Adobe supports piracy. Of course, they publicly say that pirating is bad (as everyone should say), but c'mon. Obviously Adobe has made it SO EASY to pirate photoshop so that so MANY MILLIONS of people have it, that it actually increases their Photoshop sales. If Adobe didn't want Photoshop pirated, they would make it more difficult to pirate. I personally know 3 people who bought photoshop after having a pirated copy for a few years. (They finally had enough money to buy it.) They would have NEVER bought Photoshop if they couldn't have played with a pirated version for so long. Adobe knows this. Pirating helps Adobe. It's a hard concept to grasp, but it's true. I too plan on buying Photoshop pretty soon, as soon as I can drop the $600.

lol thats what Microsoft did to get windows popular.. and now they have problems stopping it..

Coming from one who has paid for various Adobe products and upgrades for years, I think their pricing is absurd and their UI's drive me nuts. I honestly don't like how their apps function and would jump to a competing product in a hearbeat. FCP for example - it's awseome and Premiere probably knew they didn't stand a chance on the Mac platform. For other Adobe apps, I'm not an desktop image pro, but I'll be damned if I will shell out yet another $300 or more to Adobe for a photoshop upgrade and I am content with launching classic and 5.5 for the few times my other OS X image apps aren't up to the task (which is less often all the time).

Coming from one who has paid for various Adobe products and upgrades for years, I think their pricing is absurd and their UI's drive me nuts.

Their pricing on their pro products is in line with what other pro products cost. If you are actually using these tools to make money, the cost of owning them isn't that bad.

As for the UI... Well, I'm always one to argue that UI can always be better, but I believe Adobe has a top notch, across the board easy to use interface for all of it's apps... Premiere included (by 6.5 the app sucked, but it's UI was still quite easy to learn in contrast with FCP).

For those who don't want to shell out the big $$$ for Photoshop, but need more than GraphicConverter does, look to MicroFrontier's ColorIt. ColorIt was a low end competitor to PS back around version 3. The product languished after version 4, and that's where it sits today. But MicroFrontier is reviving the program for OS X, and will be releasing it soon. At $50, it gives you the basics of Photoshop. If you need more, there's always Photoshop Elements for under $100. So even if you are not a pro and can't afford the full price of Photoshop, there are options available to you that don't require pirating...

i just want to say all people using these programs to make money...small business, freelance and etc should be paying for it.

but the reality is that student pirates should be appreciative now of anything they can get and should pay when they have the means to do so.

student pirates should be appreciative now of anything they can get and should pay when they have the means to do so.
It's wrong no matter when. I would think a student might have more opportunities to not do it. Using someone's computer or a uni computer, getting the folks to buy it, getting a student discount. And the earlier one gets in the notion that stealing is acceptable, the harder it will be to stop later on.

I talked about this with my co-worker. He says he is supporting the "small guys", hence he is buying games and other software that is not from MS. When it comes to Windows or Office he says it is okay to just get it from someone. This attitude really bothers me because you can't just make wrong things sound right just because the party concerned is rich and/or a monopoly.

Stealing will always be wrong no matter if the guy "deserved" it or not.

Back