BILL & HP copy APPLE Design

Originally posted by hulkaros
Sometime at 1997 M$ released Win95 OSR2 which is, if you prefer Win95 Second Edition that offered a limited USB support... It wasn't before the release of Windows 98 that USB started to appear for Wintels... Still, as I said you could find exotic solutions from Wintel companies in order to have a go with Win95 OSR2! Anyways, BinaryDigit no matter what he thinks he knows/believes he cannot remake computer history (hey, maybe Gates but BinaryDigit isn't Gates!? :rolleyes: )... And the computer history says that Wintel should thank again and again Apple for saving their USB bottoms :p

First of all, I thought this all originated by talking about innovation, not popularization. PC's had USB ports first, period. USB was a standard feature of the BX chipset, which was around late 96. BX and it's followup TX were not "esoteric" or all that high end. Now you do have a point about weak support in Windoze for it until 98. But the fact was it was available and usuable (however limited) at least two years before the iMac. What statement(s) did I make that were somehow "rewriting history"? That Wintels had USB ports first? That the Mac popularized the port? Are these statements not true? Once again, go back and read what I said.

Damn, it wasn't even before the release of Windows 98SE that M$ actually had something to say about the Internet... Before that

Just because M$ didn't take the internet seriously before 98SE doesn't mean that Wintel users were somehow "missing out" on the experience. Wintel users were not dependant on M$ to "get their act together", there were plenty of options to get on the net. Pre 98 (the year), it wasn't much simpler for Mac users either. But it was doable for both platforms, get yourself a SLIP/PPP package and an isp and away you go. Other than the whole browser war thing, M$ was a non factor, but this says nothing for the platforms. BTW, in what OS level did Apple starting shipping TCP/IP as a "built-in" protocol? I remember having to actually download a copy of the tcp/ip stack for 3.11, of course this was not an issue with OS/2 and NT3.51. Was it standard on Win95? When my wife was accessing the univ. computer on her PB180, they just handed her some floppies and I do remember it having either MacSlip or MacPPP, but I can't remember if it also had the tcp/ip stack as well (OS7).

If you ask me M$ had its act together with the release of Windows 2000 products family about the Internet, USB and many other technologies that under the heavy hacking of Windows 9x and Windows ME those technologies could literally crash the whole system at any given time and even without actually doing anything!!! :mad: Hench the infinite BSOD screens that people talk all of the time... :cool:

On this we agree. Win2k is actually a very good OS. Like I said, I haven't used the "consumer" Win versions since 3.11, so I can't personally speak for those, but the concensus is obviously that they are generally crap, and I'd believe it.

Originally posted by Satcomer
USB in WINDOWS before 1997. Yes for the x86PC (by the way PC=Personal Computer. Isn't an Apple a personal computer?)

I believe my statement was that it was available on Wintel platforms since before '97, not that Windows fully supported it at the time (similar to plug and pray). BTW, the whole "PC" thing. Yes, the Mac is a "personal computer", but there are some of us (esp. old timers like me), who use PC to reference specifically "the IBM PC and it's clones and descendants" whose common moniker is the "PC". This is a similar problem when referring to DOS, since it commonly refers to the old Microsoft/IBM product (i.e. MS/PC DOS), but is also used in the generic sense (Disk Operating System). The term Wintel has sprung up, and I try to use that, but sometimes I do fall into old habits.

Originally posted by binaryDigit
First of all, I thought this all originated by talking about innovation, not popularization. PC's had USB ports first, period. USB was a standard feature of the BX chipset, which was around late 96. BX and it's followup TX were not "esoteric" or all that high end. Now you do have a point about weak support in Windoze for it until 98. But the fact was it was available and usuable (however limited) at least two years before the iMac. What statement(s) did I make that were somehow "rewriting history"? That Wintels had USB ports first? That the Mac popularized the port? Are these statements not true? Once again, go back and read what I said.

Look: I said from the beginning that USB lived on the Wintels thanks to iMac and you still insist on which side had first this and that... I say lived and you say popularized... I think we play with words here...

Look at what Wintels managed to innovate: USB2!!! Which in the majority of tests is behind of even FireWire and it doesn't hold a candle compared to FireWire2... So, if you want to say that iMac just popularized USB that's fine... Go ahead and do so because Apple innovated by giving us something better... USB quality support AND FireWire at the same time...

Just because M$ didn't take the internet seriously before 98SE doesn't mean that Wintel users were somehow "missing out" on the experience. Wintel users were not dependant on M$ to "get their act together", there were plenty of options to get on the net. Pre 98 (the year), it wasn't much simpler for Mac users either. But it was doable for both platforms, get yourself a SLIP/PPP package and an isp and away you go. Other than the whole browser war thing, M$ was a non factor, but this says nothing for the platforms. BTW, in what OS level did Apple starting shipping TCP/IP as a "built-in" protocol? I remember having to actually download a copy of the tcp/ip stack for 3.11, of course this was not an issue with OS/2 and NT3.51. Was it standard on Win95? When my wife was accessing the univ. computer on her PB180, they just handed her some floppies and I do remember it having either MacSlip or MacPPP, but I can't remember if it also had the tcp/ip stack as well (OS7).

Do you honestly compare iMac's Internet capabilities and ease of use with a Wintel of that time and age? You must be joking, right? :rolleyes: The rest stuff I said was for M$ "innovation" part which I simply reminded you that they didn't even have a plan for the Internet at that time!!! So, how is possible for a company which has no plans for such big things to be a company which truly innovates? :p I'm just wondering... :rolleyes:

I believe my statement was that it was available on Wintel platforms since before '97, not that Windows fully supported it at the time (similar to plug and pray). BTW, the whole "PC" thing. Yes, the Mac is a "personal computer", but there are some of us (esp. old timers like me), who use PC to reference specifically "the IBM PC and it's clones and descendants" whose common moniker is the "PC". This is a similar problem when referring to DOS, since it commonly refers to the old Microsoft/IBM product (i.e. MS/PC DOS), but is also used in the generic sense (Disk Operating System). The term Wintel has sprung up, and I try to use that, but sometimes I do fall into old habits.

Yeah... Ok... Wintel truly innovates just because they add more ports and stuff in general in their products... What about the support and the next best idea for those features from Wintel? At least Apple when it offers something which is hardware based the consumer can bet his bottom that he/she will have something to use with that hardware!!! The only ok thing that Wintels seem to have is Athens PC but that will come in the next couple of years and, ahem, oh boy, where did they get those ideads from? :rolleyes:

Oh, and some more questions: Where would be the Wintel DV industry if it wasn't that FireWire from a fruit company which never innovates? :p

Look, BinaryDigit in order to end this, for now... :D You seem to believe that Wintels really do innovate while I don't... But let's be logical for a moment: With all those HUGE bucks that Wintel seems to earn, do you believe that they really innovate THAT much? Especially when compared relatively with what Apple earns, isn't Apple more of an innovator than Wintels by a HUGE margin?

Last, Mac is the one and truly PC! The Wintel is just a PC wannabe :D ;)

Look, BinaryDigit in order to end this, for now... :D You seem to believe that Wintels really do innovate while I don't... But let's be logical for a moment: With all those HUGE bucks that Wintel seems to earn, do you believe that they really innovate THAT much? Especially when compared relatively with what Apple earns, isn't Apple more of an innovator than Wintels by a HUGE margin?

I think that throughout all of this that you are totally misreading my point. I never said that "Apple doesn't innovate" or that even "Wintel innovates more than Apple". Nope, never said that at all. Go back, read my posts and find me one instance that I claim that Apple doesn't innovate.

Once again all I pointed out was that some innovations DO come from the Wintel side. And that many of the components that make a modern Mac (hardware wise) originated in the Wintel world. Thats all, no statements about "The Mac only copies from Wintel", just a simple statement. You appear to wish to label me a "Wintel Lover" and therefore want to read more into my statements than is there.

Certainly, for mainstream use, Apple does tend to innovate more than Wintel, esp in the area of integration (both hardware and software). That makes sense from a market standpoint when you look at a single monolithic monoply (Apple) compared to the hodgepodge that the Wintel world is, where margins are slim and innovation usually only buys you a negative hit on the bottom line. This of course changes when you start looking outside the consumer mainstream (servers, high end workstations) as it's more fragmented, so some markets the PC tends to see more innovation (raw graphics/video cards, high end scsi/raid controllers, high end ethernet) whereas others the Mac excels (dtp, video editing).

It would make life easier if you would stop misreading my statements as being somehow "anti-Mac/Apple" just because I'm not anti-Wintel :confused:

It would make life easier if you would stop misreading my statements as being somehow "anti-Mac/Apple" just because I'm not anti-Wintel :confused:

Ok, you aren't anti-Mac/Apple... You convinced us! But you surely are more of a pro-Wintel... :rolleyes:

Based on your user name the following question is... What kind of a BinaryDigit you truly are? 0 or 1? :confused:

:p
:D
;)
:)

Ok, you aren't anti-Mac/Apple... You convinced us! But you surely are more of a pro-Wintel... :rolleyes:

Yes, without a doubt that I am "more" pro-Wintel than many/most here. I work/have worked with many platforms, and am pro-almost all of them (though there are times when they really hack me off too). They all have their strengths and weaknesses.

Based on your user name the following question is... What kind of a BinaryDigit you truly are? 0 or 1? :confused:

See, there you go again, trying to pigeon hole me :D As my name suggests, my lot in life is to be one or the other, as need be ;)

They all have their strengths and weaknesses.

True... :D

See, there you go again, trying to pigeon hole me :D As my name suggests, my lot in life is to be one or the other, as need be ;)

Dangerous and Disturbing this puzzle is... :p ;)

:cool:

Okay, okay, this thread has endured enough mudslinging from both of you and I think everyone reading this wants to just wipe off and call it a day.

Back to the original point of this thread... I think this computer (I've forgotten all the details about it in the snowball fight—designation, specs, creator, etc.) looks quite a bit like a G4 Cube with an Apple Cinema Display and an ugly keyboard and elegant mouse. (Ha! Microsoft does make hardware! They have the Intellimouse line (an excellent optical mouse), the previously mentioned XBox, and everything else on this page... they just don't make computers. Good thing too.)

I'm not sure about Longhorn... It sounds like M$ is "borrowing" many of OS X's current innovations (and that's what an innovation, invention, etc. is for: to become standard). If Longhorn is Windows OS X, to be released in 2005, how far will Apple have come?

And when is someone going to make holography mainstream, a standard, popularized? (That's another point: Just because one side or another innovated a feature first, doesn't mean anything unless it's been popularized. How innovative would you consider USB if it had died? If an innovative product doesn't go anywhere, it's no use to anyone. Just because Xerox had a GUI, didn't mean anything; it took Apple to *ahem* innovatively popularize it, bringing this wonderful technology to the masses.)

I watch two of those videos and all they are doing is just spinning some documents or open windows. What is so special about that?

Originally posted by Satcomer
I watch two of those videos and all they are doing is just spinning some documents or open windows. What is so special about that?

First things first: Those clips were demos for what LongHorn will be capable when it will come out... Not that it will do all those spins, stretches, etc for sure...

Now, what those demos supposedly tell us is that for the first time we will have 3d graphics acceleration for GUI functions in Windows... This 3d stuff will supposedly give new type of applications and in case that the Wintel that tries to run LongHorn lacks 3d hardware capabilities it will default back to the GUI that currently XP has...

When 3d will be on, apps will perform better, faster with no graphics related problems... Everything will work much better than aything XP offers now...

To me all those LongHorn tricks scream OS X all over the place, not in looks, but ways of taking care of things like 2D/3D/video... Previously, in one of my posts, I attached an image which more or less showcased how easy is to reproduce those "future" LongHorn graphics tricks, in our "powerless" Macs :rolleyes: and then some!

In the end all those "innovations" from the Wintel crowd show us that after all Apple for some time is on the right track: Absolute combination of software and hardware, OS with advanced graphic tricks, eye-candy, etc. :p

Now, if only Apple will lower their prices some more :rolleyes:

:D ;)

Okay Boyz,

this is my first statement since I opened this thread.
The discussion went the whole nine yards,ending as always in endless "retrotechnique"posing.
My wish would have been to bring out further speculation,why a certain Mr. Billyboy(with red hair&pullover)recently hates APPLE so much?!
Is it because of the switcher campaign?
Is it because of the need to grow further(sharheolders love that!)
Is it because of the failed Office coop
??
Why is he doing it and why does HP help him?!

Originally posted by genehack
Okay Boyz,

The discussion went the whole nine yards,ending as always in endless "retrotechnique"posing.
My wish would have been to bring out further speculation,why a certain Mr. Billyboy(with red hair&pullover)recently hates APPLE so much?!
??

I don't think Bill hates Apple at all. Pretty much every new version of Windoze that comes out M$ tries to make the UI "kinder and gentler" and yes, many of the things they do originated in the Mac world. I don't know how this somehow translates in Billy "hating" Apple. M$ is happy to let Apple innovate (and take some of the slings and arrows that results) and then cherry pick whichever features that they see that people like. I don't think M$ is losing enough market share to Apple due to "switcher" to really care.

Now that said, I think it's good to be mindful of how M$ operates. Even though M$ as a whole might not view the Mac as a threat, that doesn't mean that whoever is in charge of non-commercial Windoze sales isn't going to look good by keeping OSX/Mac marketshare at bay (or the opposite, look bad if they allow the Mac to take some market share). M$ is a very competitive company, and this is reflected throughout it's mgmt, not just at the top. Everyone wants to please the big man, and so many of the aggressive actions they do come more from that.

HP is in this with M$ because HP is losing market share. Similar to Apple, if you can't fight the unit wars, you start trying to win the feature/innovation wars. HP has to do something to distinguish themselves and try to stem the Dell tide. Fighting the margin battle is proving to be expensive and painful.

Oh and what was the failed "office coop"? And what is "retrotechnique posing"?

Originally posted by genehack
Okay Boyz,

And it seems that you want it to stay that way ;)

My wish would have been to bring out further speculation,

I prefer the phrase "Blast from the past" instead of retrotechnique... And who was posing at that? And is that really your wish? :p

why a certain Mr. Billyboy(with red hair&pullover)recently hates APPLE so much?!

Hate maybe not... Envy? 1000% yes! Because M$ is the biggest computer company up there with IBM et al and a tiny company like Apple has stronger supporters while at the same time M$ has SO many opponents hating them, rightfully or not :rolleyes: It is like Asterix & Obelix where the Roman Empire won every single country that mattered at "that" time except a tiny French village :p

Yes! Because Apple never called Mr.Gates to star on his own Switch ad :D Plus, when his company tried to pull a similar "Switch" web site every single company, individual out there, went like buhahaha against M$ :p

And because XBOX costs them SOOO much... If you cannot kill Sony, try to kill smaller mosquitos, like Apple :rolleyes:

??

I wouldn't go that far as to call Office X a failure but at least for what M$ had in mind, it surely looked to them as one... Still, they failed to take in account the fact that although an ok app, it had its fair share of bugs, shortcomings, not the mention the hefty price, too... Damn! It wasn't even a Cocoa app!

Who else could help them? Compaq? HP and Compaq is one and the same... Dell? They can only go as far to put some components from left and right together... IBM? They seem to prefer Linux and their own solutions at every chance they get... Gateway? Ha ha ha ha ha... Alienware, then? He he he... Sony? No way! They kill them nicely with PS2 as is...

Only HP (HP+Compaq=HP) can help M$ put a uniform computing platform solution which will cover all bases of "original advanced techniques" which all others can then copy... Ha ha ha ha ha he he he

Brilliant.The thread(threat?) is on the right track now.
IBM+Apple,who dream with SONY(since >IBM is developing the next PS Chip WITH them),bring sleepless nights to BILLY.

Maybe Gates really wants to kill the mosquito,although it has already seeded
its eggs.
He´s an allergic.

tsezKEIK:
>second of all im sorry i found ur comment about microsoft
>products THAT funny, but it just is.

You know what, though, what he said is true. MS is giving the world just as much as anyone else, however, zealotry won't let you see these sorts of things. However, let's not fixate just on MS, but the entire PC world of things, which is what makes it different than Apple...more people care. More marketshare means more production, more support, more everything. More production, more support means more competition. More competition means more features.

>third of all, i didnt know that the world hated Apple & its users
>that much!!! . when i talk to ppl (whove never used an Apple

They do. Mac users are, for the most part, universally reviled among geeks for being the most obnoxious, stuckup, and egotistical types around. Take a look around at the snotty attitudes thrown out here about how MS, or as the perpetually whiny need to refer to them: M$, Microsuck,Microsloth, etc, is a horrible company.

FOr better or for worse, MS gave Apple money to continue. MS continues to give you software products that you need in order to complete. MS provides a reason to not stagnate and fail completely.

People also need to stop obsessing over how MS steals from the Apple asthetic. First off, MS seems to be a convienent scapegoat for so many, however, is everything REALLY their fault? They're not the end-all be-all of the x86 world, in fact, they're just another cog in the machine (althogh, referring to them as a little cog is a bit of a gross understatement).

Apple theives as much from others, too. The nature of business is to provide a better product than your competitors, so if Apple gives out an easy to use OS, of course their biggest OS competitor will do the same. If they make it pretty, and people care, of course others will respond, too.

The problem is I don't see much of this miracle innovation that Apple is continually praised for. I see some, I see pretty little fruit coloured plastic cases that people seem to like. I see nifty all-in-ones which people also, inexplicably, seem to want. I don't see much else. Heck, even those fruity colours can trace lineage to workstations like the Silicon Graphics units which came it pretty blues and purples and the all-in-ones are nothing more than updated original R2D2 Macintosh computers which were nothing more than wee versions of the original microcomputers and dumb terminals.

MacOS 10? Looks a whole lot like NeXTSTeP to me. Debatable on the innovation front, because while it is a Jobs product, its certainly not an Apple product, its a refined NeXT product. Firewire? Smells like fancy pants USB, everything USB wanted to be, and wasn't, everything SCSI should've been but couldn't (was SCSI an Apple innovation, or something they glommed on early?). The cube was no differant than the SunSparc IPC/IPX, which was just a slab in a smaller footprint.

No one is really innovating, as I see it. They just remake things in a shinier case, woo woo etc.

>computer) about any Mac, i always get very pleasent comments,
>and i can reassure you that they dont hate me for using a mac
>(theyre just Jealous)!

People don't know any better, and its easy to be blindsided by propaganda. OS 10 is what finally convinced me it was time to try a Mac, and only because I loved my old NeXT. The older style MacOS is a hideous atrocity that's completely annoying to work with for anyone who wasn't raised on it. I read things now about it that make me wonder why on earth anyone would've bothered with it so long. Now, however, it seems like its come lightyears ahead of the <9.x series...although, s'funny, that dock seems like its kind of like the W95 taskbar, which I don't quite remember in older versions of MacOS. Are we calling the dock "innovation" now, or are we just going to pretend its not a bite from that other company everyone loves to hate...

>who eat it up like french fries. and microsoft is the one serving
>them to you.

Y'know, every person out there will take what they get, however, I believe Apple has a tendency to hand out more breadcrumbs and proclaim them cakes than even the much loathed MS.

Sure, MS puts out dogs, and lots of them. However, I was downright appalled when I first installed OS10 on my new mac. It completely lacks just about any useful apps. Stickies is about it. It provides a single timekiller (chess). It lacks little apps like Paint. It has no newsreader (this kills me). It has a CD player that uses up 25% of my CPU. I may have what's considered a slow machine, now (280mhz), however, there's no reason a CD player should pull down that much.

I suppose its unfair to use your post as teh launch pad for this, however it just happened to be the final straw.

So, the long story short.. Apple starts selling machines that look remarkably like a Sparc from sometime in the 80s (I honestly don't know when the IPC was first produced) with a flat screen monitor. People think that's pretty fab. So, HP and MS come together and show one of their own. Big deal, and tough luck. If Apple are such innovators, then they better pull something pretty spiffy out to compete with products that cost a fraction of what they cost.

Hey, here's an innovation someone aught to consider over at Apple? How about REASONABLE PRICING?

What Apple should truly produce is something dirt cheap, clever looking, and aimed at making people migrate. I'd have gone for it, new. I know lots of people who would.

I can't justify $1500 for a G4 desktop, $1000 for an eMac is too much for a machine that's too fixed for me, not to mention, I have a pile of PC and other things laying around, and if possible I should be able to use them, at least the monitor, the biggest single expense to a new computer except the actual chassis.

Where's your middle ground, Apple? Where's the NeXTstation 2003? Take a pizza box, put a CD drive in it (in a way I can mount most others in, like the beige power macs). Put your USB and firewire ports on the back. Put your audio on the back. Put a video board with either VGA and DVI ports or at least include DVI->VGA adapter (ps, ditch DVI, if you haven't already) in the box. Hey, if you want to be supernice, use a risercard to an AGP board so we can change it out. Include one other PCI card on a riser board. That gives us some ability to expand. Put a single 3.5" IDE drive sled inside. Now, price it at $700 and watch them come. You've made a perfect machien for people who want some upgradability, who want to use their very expensive PC monitors. Who don't want an all-in-one. Its even stylish, just a little pizzabox style chassis. You can even make it in fruity plastic.

Where is that machine? Why doesn't that machine exist? You cannot compete with $500 Dell and eMachine x86 PCs with $1000 all-in-ones and $1500 desktops.

Originally posted by gfen
Blah-blah

Are you sure you got everything out of your system? :rolleyes:

I hope that you found the inner PeaCe after all those opinions of yours...

I would personally wanted to thank you for sharing your open minded views with us and hopefully some people here will understand the meaning too so that they will see the holy light that Wintel platform spreads uppon the computing world with its pure, fair and square business practices :p :D

:rolleyes:

Back