BootCamp run Windows on Mac

On Apple hardware we can now run: 1) Mac OS X 2) Linux 3) Windows. Wow. With virtualization coming up, this won't even require a reboot anymore. Amazing!

Some of us never thought we'd see the day.

I liked this note:
Word to the Wise
Windows running on a Mac is like Windows running on a PC. That means it’ll be subject to the same attacks that plague the Windows world. So be sure to keep it updated with the latest Microsoft Windows security fixes.

*grin*

More funny quotes:

EFI and BIOS
Macs use an ultra-modern industry standard technology called EFI to handle booting. Sadly, Windows XP, and even the upcoming Vista, are stuck in the 1980s with old-fashioned BIOS. But with Boot Camp, the Mac can operate smoothly in both centuries.

Apple is a Hardware company: this move is going to net them BILLONS of cash.

<fanboy>I predict Apple will hit double digit marketshare within a year!</fanboy> :)

Victory.jpg

WOOHOO!!

Wahay! I was disappointed when it looked like this would be difficult, now I can buy the next MacBook release with a clear conscience. I wonder if this means Apple are making Windows drivers for the graphics cards they use, as that seemed to be an issue with the earlier hack to get XP running on the intel iMacs.

Cat, glad to hear what you say about Apple being a hardware company, i often end up explaining my view on this to people. For my own use I much prefer doing my daily tasks in OS X but having windows on the machine would really help me justify paying for the hardware.

Wow....look at that Vista!... ::ha::

I'm interested to see how this will work (I've already read about the virtualizations theory regarding this, but I would love to see it in action).

crap crap crap....

my credit card is itching to get an iMac for my studio or a Mini to replace my dell.

crap...

duude, seriously, that is huge news. Now I"m glad my iBook died and I have been "forced" to buy a MacBook. Really exciting stuff.

If apple had just released this a couple weeks earlier that'd have won the $12,000 prize ;)

Does this mean, because it's an official Apple release, there are no driver issues like with the unofficial version (ie. you can use games and 3D apps easily). Someone with an Intel mac please try it out and post back here! :)

From the release all the drivers for the Apple hardware will be included. Definitely would be cool to be able to boot windows on the rare occassion I need it.

Still have to say there was something about this that made me cringe though.

Who would have thought all you Mac users would be flipping out so much to be able to run Windows?

Sheesh... you complain and complain about Apple's keynotes, you bash Jobs' business decisions, you bitch that Apple doesn't patch security holes fast enough... yet you say Mac OS X is your "OS of choice" -- and now look at you: jumping up and down and screaming with excitement like a giddy 3rd-grader because you can now put the buggiest, most insecure operating system in the universe on your Mac computers.

Very, very ironic to say the least. ;)

I think we're excited about the prospect for apple, rather than for ourselves. This could be a serious turning point for Apple, and could put it on the road to some serious success in the long term.

I'm very excited about the prospect of throwing out my PC and using the dual boot for those times when I need to test websites in Windows, when clients give me windows-only files or self-extracting Zip files, and of course games too.

I understand where you're coming from, but I don't think it's blind happiness about being able to run windows.

For someone like me, this is a great thing. I love OS X, but having to use another computer to do tech support and troubleshooting on either Windows or Linux (if Linux is going to be supported on Boot Camp) is a pain. Being able to switch operating systems using my Mac would be awesome. It's even more of an incentive to purchase a MacBook Pro in the near future.

ElDiabloConCaca said:
Who would have thought all you Mac users would be flipping out so much to be able to run Windows?

Sheesh... you complain and complain about Apple's keynotes, you bash Jobs' business decisions, you bitch that Apple doesn't patch security holes fast enough... yet you say Mac OS X is your "OS of choice" -- and now look at you: jumping up and down and screaming with excitement like a giddy 3rd-grader because you can now put the buggiest, most insecure operating system in the universe on your Mac computers.

Very, very ironic to say the least. ;)
Agreed. I find it interesting but not important to me. I've been using Macs since the late 80s and I've never found that I missed anything I needed or wanted. If I had I could have picked up a cheap Windows based box long ago but I never have.

I guess it may be significant for games but I've never been interested in games, I've better ways to spend my time.

The BBC is already on to it:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4880022.stm

Of course, ArsTechnica, Appleinsider, MacRumors, ThinkSecret and the entire "MacWeb" are all abuzz.

El Diablo:
Well, there's lots of software out there that is not available on a Mac (and I'm not talking just about games), which means people need a Windows PC alongside their Mac if they want to use it, or cannot use a Mac at all. Moreover, for testing purposes, it is quite usefull to be able to boot different OSes on the same machine. Also, I saw a remark somewhere about schools and universities, which could easily buy a classroom full of Macs now and reboot as required, instead of having two classes one, Mac and one PC.

Yes, I fully understand that there is software available for Windows that is not available for Macintosh.

Yes, I fully understand that y'all's "excitement" is simply excitement for Apple, and not because you can now run a horrible operating system on your Macintosh.

Yes, I fully understand that, in order to maintain compatibility with the morons that haven't switched to FireFox or something better on their Windows box, that this may help slightly. I mean, you were testing just fine before this happened -- now, you must actually reboot your computer and wait for it to boot Windows before you can test... then another reboot to get back into Mac OS X. How is that better than having a PC sitting next to you for testing purposes, fully booted, ready-to-go? Or VirtualPC, booted and running IE? Now, to test your sites on a PC, you actually have to spend more time, since you have to reboot the computer... twice. That's wonderful -- something to get really excited about.

I just expected this kind of reaction from a Windows-person who was thinking of switching but wasn't sure. Not from people who use Macintosh computers day-in and day-out and whose main operating system is NOT Windows.

Kind of like getting excited about that new 8-track player you got installed in your Porsche.

It's interesting, and it will help "switchers," but damn people, curb your enthusiasm a little. It's Windows, for crying out loud. Whoopee! Now you don't have to have an ugly beige testing box sitting next to your Mac... let's all go ballistic over it! It's the best thing since sliced bread! :rolleyes:

This doesn't mean that Mac users will be switching from OS X to Windows. DuH!

I'm not going to switch over to Windows from OS X. For me, OS X by far is the best thing around for users.

However, for someone like me that does deal with more than one OS, this is a great convenience. If I have to test out software, relegating myself to one or two other computers aside from my Mac is not conducive at times. Being able to have those operating systems available to you for whatever reason is a good thing, especially if there is no Mac version of the applicaton at the moment and you need to get things done. I only have to deal with one computer which for the most part will be used in OS X, but will give me the ability to be more efficient in helping my users.

To add to what I posted, for some people this won't mean anything. For those users, all I can say is don't use it. They might do it as a novelty, but once it wears off that's it.

Heck, I have Windows and Linux installed on a Celeron system I have at home. It's almost always on Linux. I have Windows on there but I barely use it. it's a "just in case" kind of thing. Same scenario we'll probably see with the Boot Camp on the Intel Macs.

What does this mean for Mac users???

Well, it means you can have an easier time convincing your boss that buying a Mac for work isn't a bad investment.

It means that switchers can "switch back" on their new Apple hardware if the need arises.

It means I can carry around one computer for web development that can allow me to develop, debug and deploy web sites/apps for ANY platform.

On the down side, it may mean that developers may choose not develop for Mac OS X, instead pushing people to "just install Windows" to run their app/view their website.

Also, on the downside, it means Microsoft gets that much more money by selling a copy of Windows to a Mac user.

Me? Well, it's installing as we speak on my 2 day old MacBook Pro 2.16ghz. For me, it means getting rid of the Windows box on my desk at work, and using my MBP for everything.

Sweet.

Back