Bush Pisses Me OFF

But you used the words "pissing me off", didn't you? That is a strong emotional statement in and of itself. It is the title of this thread no less.
Thats why i said I wasn't mad(anymore). When bush claimed all americans were soldiers in his army that pissed me off, so instead of getting violent, I started a conversation, the one we have here.

As for why you believe what you believe I claim to know no reason why thats why I spoke for myself and was assuming for sithious and sao, I think you misunderstood my death comment, what I mean is that I don't beilieve in murder, but I also don't believe in being silent, if I stay silent then why I die, my life was a waste (to me) so I start conversations like these even if it is not popular. I hope we are not getting off the point and heading towards just replying to eachothers comments.

... i guess you're right again, soapvox. replying to the finer points in each others posts isn't really going to help this conversation much.
i mean, this is not about who won ww2, who saved or didn't save europe, who does/did this or that. the question is:
can killing be sanctionized by nations? is killing the answer to far deeper political problems?
is a war going to bring enough peace to a troubled region to make us safe from further terrorist attacks?

some of us (i am assuming this includes soapvox and sao along with me) feel that killing is always wrong, is in fact, always murder.
others believe that this war is going to bring us peace in the long run.
what i don't see is how this is supposed to work. one last reference to ww2: here "all" that was necessary was to defeat one centralized dictatorship. after the fall of the third reich, peace ensued (more or less, discounting the cold war and events in "third world" countries).
in this war we are dealing with an extremely diffuse amalgamation of people from all sorts of nations and all sorts of runs of life. bin laden is a multi-millionaire saudi, the pakistanis joining the taliban are extremely poor. there are people in muslim countries all around the world getting agitated. how is a war going to solve this problem in the long run? doesn't it make more sense to employ diplomacy instead of violence?
racer x, do you believe the war is going to end all this? what are your diplomatic propositions?

Originally posted by sithious
i am trying to make a point based maybe on a bad example. claiming my logic is flawed is rather arrogant.

It wasn't meant to be, but you were trying to lead me into an answer that would not match the situation.

different example (purely hypothetic):
german terrorists (the baader- meinhof gang/RAF) blow up an american building. does the us bomb germany? no.
do the germans put the terrorists on trial? yes. in germany. not in the states.
after proof that it was indeed them has been delivered.
do they simply have them executed by the secret service? no.
did bush deliver this proof to the taliban when they offered to give up bin laden upon seeing proof?
no, he did not. why? because he is arrogant. maybe he has proof, maybe he doesn't. i don't know, and neither do you.

We have an extradition treaty with Germany as I recall. Yes, they would turn them over.

the us declared war on china? i think not.

War, no, but you said "get involved", yes we did. Again, look it up.

how do you know so much about these people? i know very little of them, i have never been there, i have never spoken to them. have you?
why do they have so little hope when we have so much? they could probably feed whole families for years on the money we spend on macs.

Besides the fact that I wanted to know why many of my friends missed the Games in 1980 (and most didn't make into the 1984 Games), I also know personally many people from that region (the best man at my wedding was Iranian). I have an interest in both sides, people I care dearly for. As for feeding the poor, read my first post again.

point taken, if you say you're not emotional i'll just have to believe you. do me favour and believe me too.

Sounds good to me.

you probably wouldn't. my version of extreme is not cussing and swearing on a forum. my version of extreme is war. killing. bloodshed. death. you are advocating my version of extreme. sticks and stones may break your bones, but words ... blah blah blah.

Still, a civil argument is more productive that one the breaks down... don't you think?

glad you thought it was funny ... i laughed too. unfortunately i found yours rather arrogantly patronising.

But it is accurate, none the less. We expect nothing from Europe, Europe has asked a lot of us. These are the facts. Like them or not. Sorry.

and sorry, no, you didn't save europe, neither you nor your family nor the great nation it belongs to.
you helped save europe.
there were other nations involved, in case you forgot. it is sad that you work so hard to play up the role of the us, it is hard not to see arrogance there. don't play down the role of the british and the russians, please. and don't forget hitler also lost the war due to his own arrogance and stupidity, not only because of the "superiority" of his opponents.

Who made the planes that the British used? My grandfather did. Like it or not, the US was the turning point in the war in Europe. I don't know what they teach you there, but from 36-41 things couldn't have gotten much worse. I'm embarrassed that we took so long to enter the war. And please, the Soviets only kept germany in pieces for half a century.

it is sad that you have had to experience the awful situations you describe.
why would you want to inflict them on other people? is it not enough for you to have suffered that way? why is violence everywhere in the us? i don't know anybody that's ever been shot at, and boy, am i glad about that. i want to live in peace.

I don't, situations that let to this type of conflict should be avoided at ALMOST all cost. This is one of the time when the cost is just to high for everyone involved.

The facts are the facts, and things are the way they are. Is war the answer here... yes and no. Is giving a ton of aid to these people the answer... NO. I personally feel that in the short run this would work. In the long run the attacks against the finances is going to do the most good. This is very much like the war against piracy of more than a century ago (I don't expect anyone to remember that). Basicly the nations of the world united and collectively said NO MORE. Places like Libya where attacked for giving pirates a base of operation. History is VERY important. Few things today are that different from the past. We can see what the out come of this is going to be. It is not that hard.

what i was asking is how do you think this war is going to bring peace to the world when we are not dealing with one person or one nation but many people from different nations. killing bin laden won't do anything politically. others will take his place.
how is bombing afghanistan going to convince afghanis pakistanis, iraqis etc. that europe and america are not the enemy?
how are we going to get them to see that democracy is better than religious autocracy?

by the way, i wasn't asking whether you know any arabs or asians... i know many arabs and asians too. nowadays, in a globalized world, one knows people from all over the globe. what i meant is have you been to afghanistan and seen the actual situation there? i certainly haven't, so i don't want to judge people who live there based on my western assumptions.

in the long run my point is that i don't believe violence to be the answer to political problems. this is the mistake bin laden has made, believing violence to be an answer. i feel that by retaliating through violence we are lowering ourselves to his level of thinking. we should prove that there is no conflict between islam and democracy, between east and west. we all have the same interests: we all want to live in peace and happiness, no matter where we are what we believe. maybe i assume too much, but isn't it better to assume than to become cold and cynical like bush?

the koran states that he who kills one person kills all humanity. i agree.

See the problems that we are having here are communication. You asked "how do you know so much about these people? i know very little of them, i have never been there, i have never spoken to them. have you?", and I gave you a complete and full answer. You then say "by the way, i wasn't asking whether you know any arabs or asians... i know many arabs and asians too.", but my answer is no less valid. Why the change? it doesn't strengthen your position any (that I can see). With a record of everything that has been said, why the need to change a direct question after a complete answer? It was like you asked the question about the "US government get involved", how did that become going to war?

Honestly, that is why I said I believed that you are running off emotion in this case (more than the tone). I, while responding to two different people, didn't feel the need to reword something once it has been answered. I know this is off subject, but I'm just curious how other people think when arguing a point.

As for peace, trying to get them to be like us in ANY form (government, religious, or other wise) isn't going to help. We let them have their own path, we follow and protect ours. If they want to join the community of nations, great. If not, great. As I have said before, we interfere to much in other peoples affairs. We stop our problem (them harboring terrorist), and let them solve the rest on their own. When no nation is safe for terrorist, then the "war" part of the war on terrorism is over. It becomes a job for the collective intelligence community to deal with. I'm not sure which part of this is so hard to understand. Afganistan only needed to make that area unwelcome to terrorist to avoid all this. Is isn't very deep stuff, it could have been over in a couple days. Now it is not. The war on piracy is not that different, you guys would get a lot from reading up on it.

-- marker post --

This thread really took off while I was in class (and what a long class it was, got a A in my midterm though.

Quite an interesting development, my brain is not working due to fatigue so I will reply tomorrow

Just ignore this post, its a marker

admiral

Most of your writing comes out as "I will show them how much I know..."

Well, yes...you can write well your own thoughts...

You know who you are...

But, can you, just for one moment, forget "yourself"...

You will be amazed at the possibilities of life.

But I understand...Self rightiousness keeps you "busy"...

And you will answer this post again...

trying to demostrate how much you know...

RacerX, do you know what I'm talking about?

Wow! man, what a busy life...

Yes, Soapbox and Sithiuos, I agree...

Life is precious and an incredible miracle...

Let's all enjoy in unity and make a bridge to the future...

Originally posted by RacerX
See the problems that we are having here are communication. You asked "how do you know so much about these people? i know very little of them, i have never been there, i have never spoken to them. have you?", and I gave you a complete and full answer. You then say "by the way, i wasn't asking whether you know any arabs or asians... i know many arabs and asians too.", but my answer is no less valid. Why the change? it doesn't strengthen your position any (that I can see). With a record of everything that has been said, why the need to change a direct question after a complete answer? It was like you asked the question about the "US government get involved", how did that become going to war?

racer x, read what you are quoting. how do you know so much about these people? you still haven't answered, even though you claim your reply was valid. how do you know so much about these people? who are we talking about? the taliban and bin laden, the people of afghanistan. you proceed to tell me that you know many arabs and asians. that was not the question. that's as if you asked how i know so much about you and i replied that i know many americans. well, i know nothing about you even though i know many americans, and you obviously know as little about afghanistan as we all do.

when i asked about the us government getting involved in china, it was obvious to you that i was speaking of war, not of diplomacy.

the only reason i felt for rewording my questions is because YOU pretend not to understand them properly.

you have twisted around everything that everyone else says to fit into your view of the world. you have attempted to blind us with history by stating your own theories as historic fact.
you are merely interested in being right.

all along you have been patronising and pedantic and arrogant and quite honestly i can't be bothered anymore. you sure know how to kill a discussion, racer x. terribly sorry i ever dared to differ from your great and valid opinion.
god bless america!

As I have been myself born under the star of "stupidity",

I feel proud and lucky to carry the flag.

Sithious, you see...

RacerX is smart, intelligent, he was not so lucky...

So we can learn from him...

He is actually a good teacher of things that shoudn't be done.

Yes, one of the best...

I personally learned and became inspired by the windmill of his mind.

So, thanks RacerX...

May your mind always guide your soul...

All the best...

AM I the onlu one that doesn follow sao's logic ?
I mean initially I did, but you are just commenting,
you dont really give any facts (whether true or untrue)...

Admiral
PS: Dont let this thread degenerate to personal attacks.

Facts: In previous post...

"War begets war...

Killing brings on more killing...

Peace will be achived "only" when we really want peace...

People talk about religion, but nobody wants to put the other "cheek".

It is not anymore about "us against them" thing.

We are all in this together, it's about consiousness, becoming really human.

We are at the level of graduation, all of us, all humanity...

If we pass the examination we will grow to a higher level.

All the signs till now, show we have very little understanding of the test,

too much ignorance, superficiality, egoism."

What is it that you didn't understand AdmiralAK?

(Please read it again...slowly...digest it...don't you feel it...it's everywhere)

Logic:

Well, if you only use logic to try to understand life you probably wouldn't understand that "you can never cross the same river twice" (Heraclitus)

For me it sounds completely insane, dangerous and superficial when I hear someone say "I wish they would bomb, crash aeroplanes and throw anthrax in many places of Europe."(That was the meaning of your writing)

Don't you think is logical that I beleive such a person to be insane?

But I'm polite by nature, unless someone ask me when they don't understand, I try to build a bridge to sanity and softly comment on how to help understanding to come by.

So, I don't rush to speak nonsense bla...bla..bla...out of myself.
I don't need to.

But AdmiralAK, if you want more facts and logic, please, we have RacerX.

Good apetite...

Sao, I like you, but you are philosophising.
Philosophy is good, but it needs some sort of practical purpose
I have, up to this point, gotten the mental image of you being someone like cunfucious lol :p

while soapvox, sithious and racerX argue (in the good way) you are just there muttering some philosphism... maybe its just me :)

Admiral

Being passive means supporting the other side. If someone comes and attacks us, and those who say, "don't fight back, you will be like them" are only supporting the enemy. If you don't fight back, you have no chance of winning.

How you handle personal conflicts is different than how you wage war. It might be good advice to walk away from a situation in which harm can be done to you as a individual, it is bad to turn away in a war.

I personally don't see any issue with dropping a strategic big one in the "20 mile area" of Mr. Laden. If it takes out half the Afgan popular, so be it. Justice is served. I think America should carry the big stick, and should take action to bring justice... and not through the court system.

:)

Admin

Personal attacks aside what is your opinion on what was said yesterday while you were taking your tests. While I do not agree with any personal attacks on anyone, I hope we can all take another look at this thread and keep an open conversation (and hopefully an open mind). This is something that I feel strongly about, I think Bush is NOT the right person to be running our country and find it hard to explain how the american people actually voted in such a bafoon, but now that he is in office it is my duty to be vocal and try to let the government be of the people by the people. This conversation(to me) is about ending this conflict with as little loss of human life as possible (I find it horendous the lives murdered already) and that we remember and learn from why we are in this conflict in the first place andI know this will not be popular but what 90% of this boils down to is our involvemnet in the middle east to protect our oil interests, where if we spent a lot more on renewable energy, we not only get out of these conflicts and let these people run thier own countries but we also can save our planet so our children can drink the water and breathe the air.

Admin thanks for joining the conversation!
I disagree that being passive supports the other side, being passive is my way of resistance. You can gain much through financial reform, freeze all thier assets in other countries, no money = no ammo.

I strongly disagree with ever dropping a nuclear weapon on anyone, we murder too many people as it is, then think of all the muslims in indonesia and other countries that just saw you kill millions of thier brethren, guess what, that puts us in the same situation we are in now if not worse. As far as "justice" being served, killing is not justice in my eyes it is vengence. Justice is bringing these people to trial, and in this situation even convict them under thier own laws, while I don't support it, thioer punishment would be something like being stoned to death, that sounds like a pretty horrible way to die if you ask me, but MY idea of justice is bring these terrorist to trial convicct them and make them hand scribe sciprture of other religions on a secluded island until they die lonely and learned!

Again please excuse my spelling, I am a drop out and when I write it really shows

Alright,

Let's take a look at history... way back in the Bible times, not all that long ago, but enough to be history...

When Moses parted the Red Sea and Pharaoh's army followed, and the sea crashed down upon them.... was this an injustice to poor Pharaoh's army... or is that okay because it was an army?

Where do you draw the line on justice vs injustice? Whether are not they are wearing a uniform? How many Bin Laden folks wear a uniform?

Exactly.

Admin

You are quoting scripture, thats one of the biggest problems, scripture is written by man whether you believe it is divinely ordained or not, if there is a god, I don't believe he would be a vengeful god that destroyed that many people versus another, thats why we have free will, he does not intervine, so you have a book claiming these things, that does not mean A) that they happened and B) the events were twisted out of context to appease the needs of clerics long ago. These are my opinions, there is a lot to learn from the bible, but everything needs to be question and while the bible talks a lot of wqar we need to take away the important parts, like love thy neighbor, and the golden rule, not the death and destruiction that takes place in the old testament.

Ah, but the Golden Rule is in the old testament, the same book as with war and destruction. That alone shows a different view point... or look at Sodom and Gorma. The only real example of "nuclear" distruction in history.

I agree, the Bible was written by man, however it was God breathed. :)

One can't limit God's ability. Perfection is not limited by our understanding of fairness.

Soap - I suppose you are against the death penalty as well?

:)

To be honest, I tried to go back and re-read everything (since I missed a lot due to fatigue) but my attention span is like that of a rat's on speed. I read 6 posts and it seems that its mostly a conversation between racerX and sithious, and I dont know exactly where to butt in.

(and as I see others have posted while I re-read)

I too think that this conflict should end with as less of a human loss (on all sides) as possible. I think the loss of human life is just appauling, (well innocent human loss that is), but each and every one of us has a different biew on what is an acceptable rate or toll. I dont like the idea of overkill, but I also dont like the idea of underkill,leaving potential problems left to fester and sore until they bite us in the ass again.

sorry if I am not sounding clear here, but I have lost my train of though and this thread seems to have gone on without me while I was away which makes it really ahrd to butt in.

Admiral

Back