Colour iPod (merged thread)

I remember Jobs stating that the iPod is a music player, not anything else not a video player, not a photo viewer not anything else. It would be neat to do those things but i wouldn't want that, but imagine the battery life.

it would probably be less than 8 hours.

Now for a color screen, no thanks, but as for the screen being able to change colors from white to blue, or to green or red. That i would pay for.

You don't need a color screen to listen to music. Looking at photos on a 2" screen is like looking at photos on the LCD of the camera -- too damn small to be any good.

...and video? On a 2" screen? Are you nuts? As I said in another thread, go to your local electronics store and pick up one of those Casio handheld TVs with the 2" screens. See how long you can actually watch something on a screen that size -- it's ain't long.

And don't get your hopes up for an iPod with video out that will play movies. Apple had enough trouble getting all the licensing and what-not together just for music. They're not going to release a video iPod that plays movies, simply because copying movies is illegal, whether you wanna argue that backing up movies is within the limits of fair use or not. It hasn't been proven in court, and releasing such a device would only add credibility to Ballmer's comment that the iPod is a storage device for illegal, copyrighted material.

Still, I wouldn't doubt that Apple would somehow integrate iPhoto compatbility into the iPod at some point. Apple ballyhooed the introduction of Belkin's devices that let you use the iPod as a storage device for digital photos, and video-out to display those photos wouldn't be a far off guess for a new feature.

Still, you're crazy if you think the next iPod will include video playback. I can hear the MPAA knocking at Apple's door right now.

I don't quite know why you get so angry about this, but let me just answer it as shortly as possible nonetheless.
First: The MPAA has nothing to say about iMovies. Apple has QuickTime and would not hurt any licensing by producing a movie player. But that's off-topic, anyway.
Second: There _are_ now media players out there that can play video. They're quite bad, technologically, but they _are_ out there. Apple would, initially, just be another player in the field. Microsoft is pushing it. Pushing it hard. And I wouldn't want _that_ to be the end of Apple's victory strike with the iPod. _IF_ there's a market for portable media players that also do video, then Apple should not only enter it but lead it - just like they're doing with the iPod and the market for digital music players.
Now, I can accept that _you_ think there's no market. However that doesn't mean there _is_ no market or never _will_ be a market.

Apple has said Desktop Movies are the next big thing. They're pushing it with Super Drives, iMovie and also their professional video software (hoping that iMovie fans will some day buy FinalCut, for example). Now if _I'm_ imagining a guy who creates a lot of family flix and also wants to _show_ them to other family members, I _can_ imagine him bringing just the iPod, connecting it to a TV set or home theatre and show anything he's got in his 'movie library'.
And you calling me crazy at the very end of your longish post: I don't like being offended.

iphote is only availible for maintosh though and since apple is strongly empahsizing the ipods windows compatability, would this really make sense?

ElDiabloConCaca said:
...and video? On a 2" screen? Are you nuts? As I said in another thread, go to your local electronics store and pick up one of those Casio handheld TVs with the 2" screens. See how long you can actually watch something on a screen that size -- it's ain't long.

And don't get your hopes up for an iPod with video out that will play movies. Apple had enough trouble getting all the licensing and what-not together just for music. They're not going to release a video iPod that plays movies, simply because copying movies is illegal, whether you wanna argue that backing up movies is within the limits of fair use or not.
I think people's (including Steve Jobs) foresight is very limited when it comes to mobile video players.

I don't want a video iPod so I can watch two hour long movies. That would be ridiculous (unless I could use video out to play them on a decent sized screen).

I want a video iPod so I can:
  • learn things on the go - foreign languages, cooking, dance steps, etc, etc..
  • watch the latest movie trailers from the Quicktime site (and show them to my friends who don't have broadband)
  • show funny videos from the net to my friends e.g. http://www.spiteyourface.com/spidey.html
  • catch up with an episode of my favourite TV show on the train
  • catch up with the news - current events, presidential debates, etc
  • show WWDC keynote presentations to my friends who don't have a computer (or broadband) and who ask me "Why should I buy a Mac/iPod?"

i.e. Lots of stuff with minimal to no copyright issues, not very long, don't need a 23" display, useful to have on the go

The thing that makes it particularly frustrating for me is that Apple's computers are especially geared towards letting people create their own videos! - iMovie, firewire, Quicktime, etc. and yet they don't have a way for people to carry this video around with them (unless they take their laptop with them everywhere they go). Portable video gives regular consumers (and professionals, like teachers) a reason to use iMovie regularly. Plus, no-one needs to carry around 20+ Gb of music with them. The video production capabilities of the Mac and the storage capacity (plus the consumer demand) of the iPod should make a video iPod an obvious fit.

Kap

Well, I didn't mean to offend -- rather, just offer a strongly biased view of the rumor... ;)

I apologize for calling "you" crazy, but "you" was used in a general sense and not specifically targeted toward anyone. Still, I realize it may have been offensive and I apologize.

Still -- I just don't see it. You specifically said that Apple is pushing "Desktop Movies." While a transportation medium is required to bring your desktop movies wherever you go, I believe that's what DVDs are for. Apple advertised to those home-movie makers in one of their commercials and touted the power of iDVD and burning your own DVDs at home to share with loved ones (remember the beach-marriage DVD commercial, where the Dad asks at the end, "Who is Julie?!"). I think this is the edge they're pushing, not toting around 6 hours of homemade movies on your iPod.

I know a lot of people here say that they'd run out and buy a video iPod without hesitation -- I'd think heavily about it, too, if it is truly in the works. But I don't think that a video iPod would have the same uses for video as the iPod has now for music. The iPod, in its current state, can be used ANYwhere. You transfer the music at home, and bring it everywhere, and you can listen to it anywhere. A video iPod, on the other hand, must be used somewhere with a TV. You can't view the movie on-the-go, and, even if you could, I seriously doubt many people would use it for that. It would be like trying to show family photos to people on the camera's tiny LCD -- cool at first, but you couldn't show more than a handful of photos before people would be like, "Wow, cool, but it's small and it's hard for everyone to gather 'round." What good would a portable video player be if you had to be somewhere with a TV to adequately show the movie?

This is what Apple thought of and answered with the iPod -- other MP3 players were either too bulky to carry around, or too skimpy on storage. They made a small, high capacity device with long battery life so you could listen anywhere -- anywhere being the key word.

I just don't see the usefulness of a video iPod. Very cool concept, but with the proliferation of cheap DVD-R media, it's easier to burn a DVD and bring it wherever you go. Some may say, "Hey, why not just burn a CD then, instead of the iPod?" Well, the iPod has roughly 50 times the capacity of a CD (40GB model). The rumored 60GB "video iPod" would only have roughly 10 - 15 times the capacity of a DVD-R. It doesn't make sense cost-wise to me.

At any rate, I would love to be proven wrong. The video iPod would be a Microsoft media center killer, but I think that the Microsoft media center will flop on its own, so we won't need a video iPod with which to kill it. Not now. Maybe in a few more years.

While I don't doubt that a color iPod would be cool and useful (and a possibility in the near future), I just don't see it being used to tote around video.

ElDiabloConCaca said:
While a transportation medium is required to bring your desktop movies wherever you go, I believe that's what DVDs are for.
This is missing the whole point. An iPod is far more convenient than carrying around a multiple CDs/MDs and a Sony player. Same thing goes for video. I can't fit a DVD case in my pocket (forget about the player), so I'm not going to keep one with me wherever I go.

ElDiabloConCaca said:
But I don't think that a video iPod would have the same uses for video as the iPod has now for music.
I don't think they'd be the same uses (i.e. you're not going to watch video while jogging), but the uses would be far more powerful (i.e. learning and showing things to your friends).

ElDiableConCaca said:
The iPod, in its current state, can be used ANYwhere. You transfer the music at home, and bring it everywhere, and you can listen to it anywhere. A video iPod, on the other hand, must be used somewhere with a TV.
A video iPod can be used anywhere the iPod can be used (for listening to music/audiobooks). Plus, I'm talking about a video iPod with a screen.

ElDiableConCaca said:
I just don't see the usefulness of a video iPod.
Take a look at my previous post and you'll see numerous uses. The learning applications alone are enormous.

ElDiableConCaca said:
Very cool concept, but with the proliferation of cheap DVD-R media, it's easier to burn a DVD and bring it wherever you go. Some may say, "Hey, why not just burn a CD then, instead of the iPod?" Well, the iPod has roughly 50 times the capacity of a CD (40GB model). The rumored 60GB "video iPod" would only have roughly 10 - 15 times the capacity of a DVD-R. It doesn't make sense cost-wise to me.
It has nothing to do with cost. It's about convenience.

Kap

A 60 GB video iPod could carry 100 compressed movies, that's 150 hours of movies... enough for taking with you in holidays !

But, DVD have strong means to protect their content... I am not sure DVD sellers would appreciate we can copy these on iPods. Therefore we would probably only have the possibility to play specially encoded files that can only be played on a single iPod (to avoid that they appear on P2P networks).

i only have one question WHY!!!!

Why would you want to watch a video on your i/vpod?

Oh so you want to see album art on your i/vpod?... WHY!! Its straped to your belt or in your pocket you cant see it! Now leaning things on your i/vpod is a good idea isnt that what audio books are for?

</rant>

chevy said:
But, DVD have strong means to protect their content... I am not sure DVD sellers would appreciate we can copy these on iPods. Therefore we would probably only have the possibility to play specially encoded files that can only be played on a single iPod (to avoid that they appear on P2P networks).
I think you're absolutely right, chevy...

How many apps are there available to copy a film / movie from DVD to your HD? As far as I know, in OS X, there aren't any - and I've been looking ...

Why? Because it's much easier on my PB's batteries to watch from the HD than from the DVD drive...

This software is, however, available for Windows (you know, the guys who make DRM etc. much more secure for everyone - unlike the thieving iPod users...)

Browni said:
Now leaning things on your i/vpod is a good idea isnt that what audio books are for?
Take a look at the selection of audiobooks available on audible.com that could be classified as "learning" books. Unless you count self help books and biographies, you won't find anything other than foreign language aides.

Have you ever tried learning a foreign language without any visual cues?

A video iPod would be far superior.

I'd buy one for just storing dance moves alone.

Kap

ipodavfinal.jpg

Applewhore,

[DVD ripping instructions edited out as per site rules - Ricky]

Getting back on topic, a video iPod or any PVP is probably not best used for viewing feature films. Music videos, brief video clips, or 22-minute TV shows are probably what most people would enjoy such a device for.

nojay said:
Getting back on topic, a video iPod or any PVP is probably not best used for viewing feature films. Music videos, brief video clips, or 22-minute TV shows are probably what most people would enjoy such a device for.
Forgot all about music videos. :)

Need a video iPod.

Kap

P.S. Plus, Apple has a music video site in the iTunes music store.

lol! I love the new rendition steven...maybe without the dock tho. Yeah, if it didnt have the dock, that pic would be awesome.

And as awesome as this rumor sounds, I cant see the point either. But at the same time, I can see Apple doing it....who knows? We'll see in 30-90 days appearntly.. :p

nojay said:
Applewhore,

[DVD ripping instructions edited out as per site rules - Ricky]

thanks, nojay

i'll give it a go!

::angel::

Isn't this a mood point? Even with current ipods you _can_ store and playback copyright materials you don't own. Everyone can download music files of a P2P network and store it on this device or another.

Other media player are able to playback movies on the go. Do other companies get huge/more problems because their player is capable to playback movie files on the go, with the posibility of playing copyright materials?
Even my laptop and pda is capable of this.

edit:

I don't think the ipod is the main distribution tool of copyrighted material.

Its mostly up to the user how he/she uses the device. With the super drive of your powerbook you could create much more "damage" to the movie industry. But no one demands that Apple removes these drives-

It amazes me how some of you think this is about to happen. I just ask all of you to take a long look at the state of iPod sales around the world. Apple is having supply problems with the current iPods (especially the mini). Sure in the USA I can go to any Apple store and pick one up, but what about the other major iPod markets. We are already hear about the absence of iPod minis in New Zealand. If everyone was in here were honest with themselves they would understand the getting a hold of an new iPod (if there is not some kind of store near you) requires at least a 2 to 3 week wait. I am not talking about the expected ship date listed on the Apple Store web site. I am talking about the actual time people are receiving their new iPod.

No one here can convince me otherwise but I am a firm believer that Apple has a serious supply problem! I will prove my point. Just remember this prediction and watch the next iPod release. Apple will announce it, not have enough for the demand, and initial buyers will have to wait up to three months to get a ship date! I bring this up because of Apples record for shipping ANY product after announcement for the past 4 years. Everybody knows the iPod is a Hot product right know. However, Apple supply chain acts as if it now run by a bunch of amateurs. Anyone here with some formal economics schooling can see that. This prediction can apply to ANY Apple product except for Apples software division. Sure, I know sometimes companies miss the read of popularity of their given product release. However, Apple is the King! So mark my words, if a color iPod is announced in the next two moths (I doubt it though), initial buyers will have to wait almost four months to receive one ordered just after announcement. Now, I am a firm believer that this will result into lost sales! Their is just to much competition now for some initial (first time digital audio device) consumer buyer.

satcomer...

surely there are two rules to remember when it comes to buying apple products?

certainly this is MY experience!

1) if you want one of the first of anything apple announces you are going to have to wait... (as you say, probably months)

2) if you're holding out waiting for the latest and greatest before buying your next "powerbook / powermac / ipod / whatever" it will be announced the week after you finally cave in and buy what's on offer...

"apple's law"???

what to do, lah? ;)

Back