Eh... Apple hyped to much!!!!!!!!!!

There's a thread around here somewhere that a bunch of us posted our desktops to. You should find it. It's worth while.

Me personally, I'm a big fan of form follows function and Bauhaus minimalism. The purpose of those flat speakers is to save space, the manner in which you have them uses space. It seems like a waste to me, could you mount them on the wall behind? Or set them on top of the monitor?

Sound design theory states that the first thing you do when physically moving a speaker if you like its sound position is move it vertically. Humans aro bad at distinguishing vertical sound deviation.

As for that $3 network card ... it can lick my crack. I've done WAY too much network support to do anything other than laugh at the $3 network card. Say what you want.

And finally, back to my original thought of you wasting your desk. Just think how much more desk you'd have if that were an iMac on a stick. You could actually put stuff on your desk again. ;-)

You see, I'm gonna opt out of this thread now. I'm tired of arguing, and then arguing again using smaller words. Manic, you have hope yet, as you are at least curious enough about Macs to read the forum, but you're just not emotionally mature enough yet to realize that other people have points, and what those points are. There is a serious communication problem. And I'm referring to more than vocabulary. If you're going to debate anything and be taken seriously, you're going to have to occasionally and publicly concede on points. Most of us don't like talking when we're not being listened to. And since I'm talking at a level of sophistication that you don't even seem to hear ... I'm glad you've started posting in a more civilized manner. I'm not one to hold grudges. I'm not one to continue to beat my head against a wall. Goodbye.

it's so nice to see you two getting along now after all that!! we can agree on some things and not on others and still be ok. manic that really is a nice setup. much neater than mine with all those wires we've discussed. even you have to admit that your system is probably a lot nicer than that of the 'average' pc user. i personally would feel just as uncomfortable with your seemingly sterile environment as you would in my chaotic clutter. i am sure that each fits us to a T.
btw - you will find our other thread in the windows forum. you do visit the windows forum don't you?

now i am one of the ones who hasn't got a world of experience on a pc. but i have some. many people in this thread have told you about their vast combined experience and how they came to like macs better. why are you ignoring them and saying that people love macs because they don't know pc's? if you reread this thread, the overwhelming response is that these people love macs because they do know pc's.

and as for your defense of m$, lets take another little step back to before you knew what computer was. m$ was once a great little company. they did wonderful things for the mac. at the time, ibm's ran the business world and apple sat at home. Mr. Dos was a powerful work horse. Mr. Macintosh, GUI was so friendly and easy to use. yea, ol mac had his quirks and he threw up all over the carpet every now and then. tech support was minmal. there was no real computer industry like we know today. then we get to that point where bill and m$ swiped some code and made something similar enough to mac's personality that people would like it, but different enough they wouldn't end in jail. now since businesses already had the ibm's running at costs that would make you faint still today, they wanted to use this new gui that worked on theri computers. and they trained thousands of people how to do it. yea, in those days the real geeks only used ibm. those people wanted what they had learned to use at home. not to mention that compatibility issue. this was long before macs learned to read and write pc (actually this is before they were called pc's). so ibm started to make home computers to capture that market. the rest is history as theysay. it had nothing to do with windows being better. very few people i knew back then would say anything so naive. it had to do with marketing and the theft of a way of computing.
really you should get down on your knees and thank God for Steve Jobs and Apple, because they were the ones who made the idea of the windows you so love, a desirable one.

Flat speakers can be mounted on walls, but I don;t have space problems, so I don't need to do such a thing, besides I don't like them on my walls.

I am listening to the responses the mac community is giving me, doesn't mean I have to agree.

Goodbye, you won't be missed.

If they were the first ones, why didnt they takeover the opportunity? Do I sense a snobbish shrug from Steve Jobs?

Besides, if MS didn't do it, some other company would have... it was matter of time.

Also, I already replied in the windows forum and added a few new posts, I think it's you who should check it out.

Some have red on them... and Billy Madison (Adam Sandler) made one blue... :D

but I noticed on that site you gave me and the specs you listed, that you had some bare-bottom prices. I would pick some that are a bit more, from a more widely known brand, just to have some sort of quality assurance... i hate CHEAP PRODUCTS... they break a bit easily...

Originally posted by ManicDVLN
If they were the first ones, why didnt they takeover the opportunity? Do I sense a snobbish shrug from Steve Jobs?

Haven't you heard some of Microsoft's tactics? That was part of their anit-trust case... they used forceful methods (now, I don't mean physically forceful, but financially, supportively, etc.) to make certain computer corporations choose their software over others.

Linux and all that would be much bigger (ever notice those commercials for IBM servers running LINUX and not Windows 2000?)

Although I see your point, Apple may not have made it in the long run anyways since they didn't support the x86 architecture, but you have to give it to them a round of applause... almost encountering total demise, bringing back Steve Jobs and restructuring the whole company, returning millions (billions?) in profit while other smaller PC manufacturers struggle to keep their bottom line, eventually biting the dust (Quantex, Pionex, Inteva, Cybermax, and countless others). This company has gone through almost everything.

actually IBM went to Steve first. he told them he wanted to talk with lawyers first. they said no. they went to Billy's house and Billy said sure with out questioning. You have to understand that IBM was the bad guy/big brother then. IBM helped finance and supported the war in Vietnam. IBM employes all wore black or dark blue suits with white shirts and polished black shoes. They were the establishment in every bad meaning of the word. Steve didn't trust them. rightfully so. at that point in time nobody was going to "takeover" IBM. About the only thing i like about Bill Gates is that he ended up helping to screw IBM. But only so he/m$ could take their place.

before you ask me any more questions about a history i lived and you are naive about, i suggest you watch "Pirates of Silicon Valley". It is actually an excellent movie about the beginnings of the computer industry in general, not just Apple. I think you would learn some things of interest to your position in it as well.
see, the funny thing is that i used to be mad about the way things worked out. now i'm glad. i don't worry about the latest trendy virus. I can open my email without virus scanning it. I love my computer - my Mac. I will always be willing to put down those extra bucks you worry so much about, just to know i am using an Apple. would you rather i am unhappy by having something you want rather than what i want?

good points there ed... i'd rather spend a few extra hundred bucks for the quality and assurance of having a machine that is so well built, and the looks are also a contributing factor :D

and that movie is awesome, one of my all time favorites.. i just wish I could find it on DVD... or even when I recorded it on VHS...

Ed Spruiell

You just went to far this time, companies are made to do business, I don't see anything wrong with IBM or Microsoft, I think that makes a hypocrite of yourself since you are living in a capitalist system and North American values whcih are to expand and make as much money you can. I don't see why MS should be punished or given the evil eye because it got to be too successful. That's horse****. Also, I don't care for your argument Steve Jobs being a saint and all, he is in the same business and HE LOST his chance and a good opportunity, just because you own a mac, doesn't mean you have to agree with every move Steve Jobs did, he ain't good and HE BELIEVE OR NOT is in the business to make money. So quit that evil MS shit, I don't see you calling Nvidia, Intel, Amd being evil. Even though, each of them have use "MS" tactics. Now be quiet, you are way over your head on this one.

ManicDVNL, no. no. no, no, no.
A 1.2 GHz x86 CISC processor is defineatly not faster than a 700 MHz G4. No way. Then macs wouldn't exist at all. Just take a look on the Itanium price, over 2600 $. An Itanium chip can be compared to a G4 chip (still not as fast, though, and doesn't work with any apps), they're both waay more complex and faster than a pentium/duron/whatever.

And there's a reason for Microdoft having as much of the market as they do.
It all started with DOS, you know, a lot of people already had cheap PC's. Then windows, the mac rip-off, came, and of course people bought windows instaed of buying a mac, 'cos they didn't need a new machine. And they continued to buy PC's because they teoretically were cheaper than macs. In fact they aren't, (at least not for newbies who don't know how to take apart a PC), because the parts in a PC are so cheap and heavily over-manufactured that they have to be replaced and repaired every year. Mac's from early 90's are still in use. Try to find a PC from the 90's that isn't completely wrecked...
And actually, microsoft paid apple a lot of money to keep them silent about the GUI thing. Still they're copying Apple's ideas and patents. Look at Windows XP, it's just windows 2000 with an aqua-wannabe GUI and a video editing app to make it look like Mac OS X. ugh.

Keep quiet for yourself, ManicDVLN, then we wouln't have a discussion at all.
you see, if everyone keeps quiet, these forums will become quite boring ;)

Just want to make the point that for the most part Pirates is a FICTIONALIZED account of what happened. There is really only about 15% truth to what you find in there. I suggest reading "Hackers" and "The Silicon Boys" also if you must watch something instead of reading, check out the PBS special "Revenge of the Nerds" I think that is the title... might be "Attack".

BTW, MS is not evil because they are in biz to make money... they are evil because of the way they go about it. I am sure we would all agree that the robber barons of the early 1900's were not nice guys, well compare and contrast the behavior here. Bill and MS just have better PR people.

Originally drooled by ManicDVLN
You just went to far this time, companies are made to do business, I don't see anything wrong with IBM or Microsoft, I think that makes a hypocrite of yourself since you are living in a capitalist system and North American values which are to expand and make as much money you can.

Our society does push for success... but not at all cost. We have protections design to protect consumers from monopolies. Monopolies can charge any price they want for whatever quality of product they feel like putting out. Also achieving monopoly status by illegal means (practices in which consumer choice in reduced rather than the better product winning market share) are exactly what Microsoft has been doing. If Microsoft made the best products we had ever seen, and became a monopoly because of it, no case would have been brought against them. Aggressive tactics like penalizing computer companies that offered other operating systems, purposely making there products in a cross-platform area (the internet) not meet standard (MS servers refuse non IE browsers, java scripts that looks for a computer registry, and we shouldn't forget their Visual J++ pollution of Sun's java code). Those tactics shouldn't be needed by a company that is putting out the best product. The only time you need to resort to that is if you know other companies are putting out better products.

It has been benchmarked that the Morgan and Palamino core cpus from AMD beat G4 cpus.

Athlon XP 1900+ beating with huge gap the Duel G4 800mhz system

And the Duron 1.2ghz beating a G4 800mhz.

Let's not go back to speed arguments plz, everyone agreed that current PC processors beat the G4 processor with ease.

I'll reconsider arguing with you on speed when the G5 processors are out.

Originally drooled by ManicDVLN
Let's not go back to speed arguments plz, everyone agreed that current PC processors beat the G4 processor with ease.

Everyone? I don't remember EVERYONE agreeing to anything like that.

Originally posted by ManicDVLN
What false way of thinkin, TVs and cars don't need to be changed EACH YEAR.

Cars last for many many years, so do TVs, they don't need to be upgraded cause performance and SOFTWARE changes ARE NOT ESSENTIELS FOR THESE PRODUCTS!

A computer needs to be updated ALOT, as we move into the future, apps, games and OSes needs more and more power to work properly.

I have a Alfa Romeo GT from 1969 and I wouldn like to upgrade it :)
My mom still uses a PII MMX 170MHZ and she is happy with it but still thinks its to hard to use.
I´am trying hard to get her to by a Imac.
Manic I understand that you are a PC user and that you want to have a expandeble computer. I have no problem with that fact. But why are you having a problem with the fact that some people just want to have a Mac?
I love my Alfa even though some of my friends thinks its a piece of junk.
I´am not trying to get them to use a Alfa. I just want a car that I like to drive
and enjoy.
When you have a system that works for you and that you can use there is no need to upgrade it. The market always wants you to get new OS and programs because when you do you need a better computer.
I´am still happy with my performa 6500. :)

Back