G4 iBooks

That would be sweet, and a logical progression, I would think. And I'm sure the IceLook will remain for a while, but I wonder what look the iBooks will next go to...?

If you read anything regarding the G3 and what IBM expects to do with it you might come to the conclusion that I have.

First, why would Apple move the iBook to Moto's G4 and jump back into that headache just as they are starting to shed it?

Second, IBM has pretty major plans for the G3--that stay pin-compatible with the current line--that will make the G3 a BETTER processor than Moto's G4. And this is especially true for portables. You can find stuff on IBM's website showing what they want to do. A couple of notables would be speeds over 1 Ghz, support for faster bus speeds than the current G4 and the real beauty, Altivec...which would do what, say it with me...make it a better processor than Moto's.

And when you consider the fabrication capability differences between IBM amd Moto I think the decision would be an easy one to make.

But then again, this is just my opinion, and hope.

Later,
Eddie

Uah! The Norwegian Apple Store was down for a while, but I thought was just some regular updates.

Talk about out of the blue!:D

Now, I predict that well see a mobile version of the G5 in the Powerbooks and they will be announced at Macworld San Francisco.

Interesting model shift/changes.

Looks like they almost "crippled" the 12" iBook to keep it from getting too competitive with the 12" PB.

- same processor spec as 12" PB (only in 14" model, 12" model max at 800 mhz)
- half the L2 cache (just when it was clear that upping the L2 cache to 512k improved 12" PB performance
- "faster" system bus than original iBook) but memory still slower than new 12" PB
- not sure about graphic card performance
- optional Bluetooth
- no Superdrive
- no DVI output

However, the look is pretty much a PB 12" in white.

Do I regret the purchase of my new PB 12"? Not in the least... ;)

Cheers.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Cool. Now all models are G4 or G5 right?

That makes for a more complete and consistent product line.

In fact, now the iBooks are affordable little speedy machines (definitely kicking my CUBE's ass which is still usable in many tasks).

dani++

hmmmm wonder what this does to battery life and heat :confused:

i still prefer a g3 in my ibook :p

Well, from what I've been reading, this processor isn't a TRUE G4 -- it's the G3 with AltiVec instruction capability that's been talked about for so long, which, esssentially, makes it a G4. I don't know the specs -- what revision processor is it?

...but those prices are DAMN attractive. Was thinking about asking Santa for a laptop for Xmas, now I've got to take a closer look at the iBooks!

I was kind of hoping for the AltiVeced G3 (PPC 750 VX) coming from IBM. I can't believe Apple is still supporting Motorola and purchasing their processors. Let them die!

I likes the new iBooks =)

However, after spending the last several minutes in the Quicktime VR gallery, I thought I'd gone colorblind. What is Apple *thinking*? They seem to be intentionally trying to make their products appear as dull and lifeless as possible? Everything there that wasn't already a dull grey appears to have been photographed or photoshopped into looking as if it is a dull grey (I've never seen the 23" Cinema display look so sickly).

Originally posted by chemistry_geek
I was kind of hoping for the AltiVeced G3 (PPC 750 VX) coming from IBM. I can't believe Apple is still supporting Motorola and purchasing their processors. Let them die!

As, ElDiabloConCaca mentioned, this is most likely a G4 from IBM, basically a G3 with AltiVec.

Originally posted by pwharff
As, ElDiabloConCaca mentioned, this is most likely a G4 from IBM, basically a G3 with AltiVec.

I don't really see any logic in that. It'd be a complete waste of resources. Where's the sense of developing an entirely new processor just for one computer, when Motorola already have a great one? Developing and mass producing microprocessors isn't exactly free.

Back