Herve's Bar & Grill

REPORTER: Mister Secretary, do you have any comment on claims that Bush could have prevented September 11?

SECRETARY: While the president is a very powerful man, I don't think he could stop a day from happening... Maybe he could have renamed it September 12, but that would have screwed us all up worse than switching to daylight savings. Next question!

;)

yes, I'm still around. I've just had a touch of the flu, but am on my feet again now.

:p :p LOL

voice, that does look like it could be me in about 5 yrs or so. right now, i still have a little more hair than that left on top. and after doing all that yardwork, i don't have quite that much slope on my stomach. Of course, the stomach will probably change back a lot sooner than the hair:D

Hey Greg - pretty funny. especially coming from down under. sorry to hear you were sick. I hope school and all is going well. glad you finally stopped back in. We were just talking about you a short while ago - noticing we had missed you. feel free to have a seat and a brew and tell us more about what has been going on. Last thing i remember is you had just moved again, right?

question by an ingnorant american - do they have daylight savings time in australia and europe. I would think that in some really hot parts of the world they should make the days shorter during the summer and longer in winter.:D

They do but I dont think the time changes on the same dates.... when I was with my X and we were chatting over the net (damn long distance relationships :p) daylight savings screwed our timing out lol They had it but I did not know so I was caclulating time based on non-daylight savings time lol :p

Admiral

In Australia, each of the states goes over to daylight savings on a different date. For a couple of weeks there, Australia is actually 7 different time zones, rather than the usual 3! You can tell its that time of year because all the TV programs are advertised as "7:30 in Victoria, 8:30 in New South Wales, 6:30 in Queensland, 10:30 in West Australia ..." and so on ...

It is amusing to hear all the people making complaints that it is ruining their crops, or the Queensland farmers complaining that the farmers in NSW get more sunlight because of daylight savings. It is also possible for people to celebrate new years twice in an hour, if they don't mind a quick hop over a border. Thats double the opportunity to kiss all those girls. :D

" In fact, it is unlikely we will ever reach that ideal without learning to celebrate our differences rather than trying to demolish them or conceal them."

i 100% do not agree with that. but that's me.

"what i really hear from you vic is the whining of a youth who doesn't 'belong' and can't stand the idea that other people actually get along with each other and care about each other because it makes your own isolation seem so much more miserable."

Well, since this is the observation you made of me, whatever i say won't change your mind about me. Your bias is known, and i guess it will, for me, explain your perspective on things i say. I hope this changes, but that's up to you. I don't know if you followed waht i sayd, or maybe if you recalled something important that i said, and that is: i don't like patriotism, so with that in mind try to consider waht you just said above and rephrase it so that it has an ounce of truth.

"Perhaps if you tried sending letters and communicating with one of our soldiers overseas, you might understand that they are just scared people like the rest of us, only with more reasons to be scared."

you know what, it comes with the territory, first the US sais Be patriotic, Love your country, FIght for your country, then the silly teens sign up to become soldiers, and then they get killed or amputated. well HELLOO! WTF! what do you expect? happiness and love on the battlefield? There was enough of that going on in their barack showers, now it's time to face the truth, and just in case you did not know, the regular soldier is designed to be a one time use weapon. that's all. you govn't doesnt love or care for them, they are on the battle field to die for their country. thir reason to be scared was acombination of brilliant advertisment and their own foolishness. someone said that advertisment can't make you buy something yu dont need, well actually it can make you go agains your strongest sense of survival.

" In fact, it is unlikely we will ever reach that ideal without learning to celebrate our differences rather than trying to demolish them or conceal them."

So you think that the only way to peace is to obliterate the enemy, vic? Or am I misunderstanding what you mean?

Edit: Add vic's quote to clarify what I'm talking about. He posted again while I waas writing this the first time. :)

someone said that advertisment can't make you buy something yu dont need
ha ha ha! What a load of hooey! I mean, look at all the SUVs on the road -- do you really think someone needs a big ol off-road vehicle (made by the luxury car company Lexus, no less) when they probably will never go out of the city? How about the people who buy a TV? Do you need television?

I'm not trying to criticize you, vic, just that statement.

by vic
Well, since this is the observation you made of me, whatever i say won't change your mind about me. Your bias is known, and i guess it will, for me, explain your perspective on things i say.

Vic,

I would point out that Ed's observations can only be made based on what you have said.

You seem to think of patriotism as something of a fad (most likely because everything you've experienced in life so far has been a fad). The definition of patriot that I know of is the love of, support of, and defense of one's country. For me, country is an inclusive term. When I think of my country, I am considering my home, my family, my loved ones, my friends, and my community. Because all of these are very important to me, I would consider myself a patriot.

Now, taking that into consideration, Ed's description of you seems quite accurate to me.

To be a patriot you dont have to be a jingoist vic.
I am a patriot, I am often criticized by my greek friends for saying that I am american and for the fact that I foster care about this country, but who cares? YOu can be a patrior but not announce it to the whole world, its the little things that matter, not the sound and the fury.

on a side note:
I am officially done!!!!!1 passed in my german paper a few minutes ago :D

and just in case you did not know, the regular soldier is designed to be a one time use weapon. that's all. you govn't doesnt love or care for them, they are on the battle field to die for their country. thir reason to be scared was acombination of brilliant advertisment and their own foolishness. someone said that advertisment can't make you buy something yu dont need, well actually it can make you go agains your strongest sense of survival.

i think you have a point here. and it is all the more reason that the rest of us do need to care about these boys. It is the very reason that the real people in our country need to show their support for them. They deserve to be treated with compassion and concern. They need to have some sort of contact with the people they are protecting.

i don't think we are miles apart in our views, vic. i have always been one to agree with George Carlin that 'military intelligence' is an oxymoron. If vietnam had gone on much longer i would be a Canadian.

Perhaps you should define what you mean by patriotism. because i am using it in a much wider sense than just flag waving and blindly following out leader.

But you know what, the most exciting part of this is that you have made a series of posts that are more than 2 sentences long!! You have made some revealing comments and stated some meaningful opinions rather than just blurbing your way thru this thread. I hope you keep it up because whether i agree with you or not is irrelevant. It is discussing real things with you that makes you more interesting.

and so just out of curiostiy, where did you come by these strong antiamerican feelings? Did you move to canada to escape vietnam or did your dad?

Originally posted by nkuvu

So you think that the only way to peace is to obliterate the enemy, vic? Or am I misunderstanding what you mean?

Edit: Add vic's quote to clarify what I'm talking about. He posted again while I waas writing this the first time. :)

Yes, AGAIN, you are completely misinterpreting me. i do not agree with the celebration of differences thing.

Originally posted by nkuvu

ha ha ha! What a load of hooey! I mean, look at all the SUVs on the road -- do you really think someone needs a big ol off-road vehicle (made by the luxury car company Lexus, no less) when they probably will never go out of the city? How about the people who buy a TV? Do you need television?

I'm not trying to criticize you, vic, just that statement.

i'm getting tired of correcting your missinterpretations... look at waht i said next, you will understand the sarcasm then.

i do not agree with the celebration of differences thing.

so you believe we need to minimize our diferences to be able to get along? Would you have us all become clones of each others - speaking the same languages, wearing the same clothes, etc? should we become one sterile homogenized group? if so you need to go back and watch some of the original star trek. Star trek was one of the best shows about promoting diversity ever. I think that is what i like about Enterprise - it recaptures some of those important themes.

Originally posted by RacerX

Vic,

I would point out that Ed's observations can only be made based on what you have said.

You seem to think of patriotism as something of a fad (most likely because everything you've experienced in life so far has been a fad). The definition of patriot that I know of is the love of, support of, and defense of one's country. For me, country is an inclusive term. When I think of my country, I am considering my home, my family, my loved ones, my friends, and my community. Because all of these are very important to me, I would consider myself a patriot.

Now, taking that into consideration, Ed's description of you seems quite accurate to me.

i love you too racerX. Greek and Latin are dead languages. the meaning of the words never changes, that is why scientists name things using greek and latin names or descriptions. English on the other hand is probably the most dynamic and popular language in the world. yesterday a word means this the next day a word means that. Patriotism in my mind suffers a generalization and probably a manya meanings depending on the person and environment they it is being used in. Politics, advertisment can change the meaning of a world as defined by the dictionary, and if not, the word may pick up certain connotations that it should have not.

"I would point out that Ed's observations can only be made based on what you have said. "

No.

Ed's, and everybody elses impression of a person is a combination of the knowledge they have of that person and their own personality. a computers impression of a person may be extrapolated from what that person said or did, but it is not so simple (unbiased) with humans.

P.S.

RacerX,

Everything i experienced in my life was a fad?

Please think before you post.

Originally posted by Ed Spruiell

so you believe we need to minimize our diferences to be able to get along? Would you have us all become clones of each others - speaking the same languages, wearing the same clothes, etc? should we become one sterile homogenized group? if so you need to go back and watch some of the original star trek. Star trek was one of the best shows about promoting diversity ever. I think that is what i like about Enterprise - it recaptures some of those important themes.

I am not a religious person as one might have deducted from another interesting thread a while ago, but the bible has a very interesting story indeed (it might have many but i only need on for now) and that is the story of Adam and Eve. remember/reread that story and understand waht paradise is. if you do, you will also understand that certain strugles humans are facing today are completely irrelevant. like celebrating diversity, since that is waht we are talking abou tnow (amongs other things like me being a low life, white trash and a pitifull fool, as Ed, and RacerX have kindly, but wrongly, pointed out)

Originally posted by vic

i'm getting tired of correcting your missinterpretations
Then don't.

Honestly, you might want to think about the fact that perhaps I agree with you, and think that anyone who says "advertisment can't make you buy something yu dont need" is full of it. I was providing additional examples, not counter examples.

Perhaps the reason I am completely misunderstanding you is that you're making broad, general statements and clarifying nothing. I'm not the only one who isn't understanding what you're talking about.

What does this mean? You disagree with the fact that we can reach the ideal only by celebrating diversity? You disagree that we will ever reach that ideal at all? You disagree with the fact that we can't agree until we agree to disagree? Perhaps you might think that the only way to reach the ideal (that is, peace) is to either commit genocide (which you have already refuted) or make everyone the same (which is what Ed suggested) or something entirely different.

Back