Herve's Bar & Grill

by Vic
Everything i experienced in my life was a fad?

Please think before you post.

Justification of my comments:
English on the other hand is probably the most dynamic and popular language in the world. yesterday a word means this the next day a word means that. Patriotism in my mind suffers a generalization and probably a manya meanings depending on the person and environment they it is being used in. Politics, advertisment can change the meaning of a world as defined by the dictionary, and if not, the word may pick up certain connotations that it should have not.

Sounds like the definition of a fad, doesn't it?

Maybe you should be the one thinking before posting (love this stuff :D, thanks for helping my argument Vic).

by Vic
(amongs other things like me being a low life, white trash and a pitifull fool, as Ed, and RacerX have kindly, but wrongly, pointed out)

I think this is a great example of how you seem to be unable to read other people's posts (something you seem to think others are having a problem with).

Please give specific examples of where either Ed or I said that you were any of the following:
  • low life
  • white trash
  • a pitifull fool

Originally posted by vic
remember/reread that story and understand waht paradise is. if you do, you will also understand that certain strugles humans are facing today are completely irrelevant. like celebrating diversity, since that is waht we are talking abou tnow
If you're not religious, why do you think that paradise is only described by the bible? What about other texts that describe paradise? Are they wrong? Do they have something that invalidates their information?

Yes, a lot of struggles are irrelevant. But how does realizing what paradise is going to make those struggles go away? I am a very different person than anyone in the Middle East, and I have a lot of differing viewpoints. I'm very different from the person in the cube next to me.

So if I intend to have a peaceful coexistence with those people I have to accept the fact that they're different. If not, my alternatives are to eliminate them or change them or change myself. I believe that killing is wrong. So I will not eliminate them. Then I am faced with the decision of changing them or myself. Who is right in their beliefs? Me? Or them? Well obviously I'll choose me, since I believe in my beliefs. But so will the other person. So we're at a stalemate, unless that person decides that he or she has different morals about killing me.

Originally posted by Ed Spruiell

i think you have a point here. and it is all the more reason that the rest of us do need to care about these boys. It is the very reason that the real people in our country need to show their support for them. They deserve to be treated with compassion and concern. They need to have some sort of contact with the people they are protecting.

i don't think we are miles apart in our views, vic. i have always been one to agree with George Carlin that 'military intelligence' is an oxymoron. If vietnam had gone on much longer i would be a Canadian.

Perhaps you should define what you mean by patriotism. because i am using it in a much wider sense than just flag waving and blindly following out leader.

But you know what, the most exciting part of this is that you have made a series of posts that are more than 2 sentences long!! You have made some revealing comments and stated some meaningful opinions rather than just blurbing your way thru this thread. I hope you keep it up because whether i agree with you or not is irrelevant. It is discussing real things with you that makes you more interesting.

and so just out of curiostiy, where did you come by these strong antiamerican feelings? Did you move to canada to escape vietnam or did your dad?

Well thanks you for your understanding, i sure wish you would not have been in such a fury to respond earlier and make a - demeaning - to say the least comment about me. No, i do not hate americans, i hate (not agree with, let's say) patriots.

My father did not move to canda from america (USA more precicely since Canda is still in America).

My father is still back in the old country Romania, which is actually in Europe. My mother and stepfather are here with me in Canada.

Originally posted by nkuvu

Then don't.

Honestly, you might want to think about the fact that perhaps I agree with you, and think that anyone who says "advertisment can't make you buy something yu dont need" is full of it. I was providing additional examples, not counter examples.

Perhaps the reason I am completely misunderstanding you is that you're making broad, general statements and clarifying nothing. I'm not the only one who isn't understanding what you're talking about.

What does this mean? You disagree with the fact that we can reach the ideal only by celebrating diversity? You disagree that we will ever reach that ideal at all? You disagree with the fact that we can't agree until we agree to disagree? Perhaps you might think that the only way to reach the ideal (that is, peace) is to either commit genocide (which you have already refuted) or make everyone the same (which is what Ed suggested) or something entirely different.

OK, sorry, and you are confusing me. if you did not misinterpret me, then i missinterpreted you. again sorry.

Originally posted by RacerX

I think this is a great example of how you seem to be unable to read other people's posts (something you seem to think others are having a problem with).

Please give specific examples of where either Ed or I said that you were any of the following:
  • low life
  • white trash
  • a pitifull fool

Or maybe i did, i just did not recal the exact words, which as i remember imply the same thing i (and you ) listed above.

My I ask you waht is it that makes you want to argue things that are besides the point? in any argument, even against nummi_g4 or someone else i don't know who, i know you argue a lot with many people, and that is ok, but you seem to have a desire to pick on things of questionable irrelevance. if you have nothing to argue on the subject it is best to (as someone said) shut up and make people think you are stupid, than talk and remove all doubt.

that might be a wee bit too harsh or broad, but can you not use your judgement and try to understand waht i am talking about at least?

Originally posted by RacerX

Justification of my comments:

Sounds like the definition of a fad, doesn't it?

Maybe you should be the one thinking before posting (love this stuff :D, thanks for helping my argument Vic).

ok, i will take a break after this; you are starting to make me act impulsively. So, i talk about fads, and give examples of, and you tell me i live them? Not even the fact that i live in a country that is not (ok, it is but not to such extant as USA) affected by those issues have you taken into consideration.

Be back in a couple of hours after your unfriendly behavior might stop or at least i calmed down so i can argue with sense.

I was never off the subject. You seem to be having problems staying on the subject (and seeing as I am posting responses to your posts specifically, the question of relevance seems to me to fall on you). Remember I love to quote what people have said, so it is hard for me to get off the subject. :D

Vic, wise beyond his years
if you have nothing to argue on the subject it is best to (as someone said) shut up and make people think you are stupid, than talk and remove all doubt.

Seems to me this really applies more to you than any other person here. You seem to think we have said things that we have not. From that I must gather that you have these feelings about yourself ( being a low life, white trash and a pitifull fool).

Shall we continue?

Originally posted by nkuvu

Who pays for the merriment? ;)

Merryment is free my friend, compliments of good company, here at Herves :D (hey what are friends for ? :) )

Hey vic, greek is not dead :p, greek is a live and well, I speak it :p
Greek roots, prefixes,suffixes and so on however will not change, that is why people use them. Even though the language is not dead, the meaning wont change, just like the word for "dog" in english wont be changed to mean "a feline pet that meows" :p

Admiral

Vic, having one of those moments
Be back in a couple of hours after your unfriendly behavior might stop or at least i calmed down so i can argue with sense.

Again, specifically, show examples of my unfriendly behavior? I think you are really reading way to much into all this. Maybe it is because you are dealing with so many people at once, but of the two of us (you and me, Vic), the only one displaying unfriendly behavior is you (and I can support this with specific examples if you would like).

Think about it.

?LTi]Originally posted by RacerX [/i]
I was never off the subject. You seem to be having problems staying on the subject (and seeing as I am posting responses to your posts specifically, the question of relevance seems to me to fall on you). Remember I love to quote what people have said, so it is hard for me to get off the subject. :D

Seems to me this really applies more to you than any other person here. You seem to think we have said things that we have not. From that I must gather that you have these feelings about yourself ( being a low life, white trash and a pitifull fool).

Shall we continue?
[/QUOTE]

No we shall not. you and me that is. why are you talking in the name of Ed? or other people that have argues agains/with me? and why are posting smileys after each argument? and why do you turn everything around? i say something you say "OH! Well look you are arguing against yourself!" or "OH! look waht you said about this and this doesn not actually mean this and this and means that and that!" can you not take anything i say at face value? Since when have you started to have hte desire to turn this into a personal vendeta gainst me and you?

I think your satirical comments are interesting but cut down on them. or plese if we are off the topic of patriotism, then let's stop this argument i have no intention of making this personal.

Originally posted by AdmiralAK

Merryment is free my friend, compliments of good company, here at Herves :D (hey what are friends for ? :) )

Hey vic, greek is not dead :p, greek is a live and well, I speak it :p
Greek roots, prefixes,suffixes and so on however will not change, that is why people use them. Even though the language is not dead, the meaning wont change, just like the word for "dog" in english wont be changed to mean "a feline pet that meows" :p

Admiral

correct, but gain, i seem to attrackt people who do not teke into account my entire argument as a whole.

the word dog, let's say, means dog as in the animal, but if i say Bill Clinton is a dog, does it still mean dog as in animal?

Even though the language is not dead, the meaning wont change, just like the word for "dog" in english wont be changed to mean "a feline pet that meows"
What?? Here all this time I thought I had dogs, and really they're cats! :D Well, one thinks she is a cat. One thinks she is a human. The third thinks she needs more food. :D

Satanicpoptart, Congratulations, and, Valrus, those comics were funny.

time to do some work now, .. m u s t e s c a p e t h e d e a t h g r i p o f t h e f o r u m !!!!

Originally posted by vic

correct, but gain, i seem to attrackt people who do not teke into account my entire argument as a whole.

the word dog, let's say, means dog as in the animal, but if i say Bill Clinton is a dog, does it still mean dog as in animal?

Well vic, when we come down to such talk, we are no longer speaking "proper" english but dialect talk, (the dialect of north american english in the year 2002 that is). That is why when you want to write "bill clinton was a dog", you dont write that, you just write bill clinton was a bad man, a philandering man, or whatever, you use words whose meaning will not change, as opposed to using expressions that change over time, and over culture. :)

Admiral

btw - happy school's over day Tolya. time to relax and unwind. Hey, this time you are not hopping straight on a plane so if you get excited and want to dance - go ahead!!

vic - i think that the problem here is that you started all this with a broad generalization that left me as an american being accused of being a nazi. that didn't sit well with me and others. I have never at any time considered you to be a low life or white trash. Hell, i don't even know what color you are. and real white trash would be more inclined to be the very things you describe as being against or else real neo nazis who would consider your original insult a compliment. As for being a pitiful fool - i never said that but i admit to thinking along those lines at one point in this and perhaps that spilled over. I guess i could see how my statement about your own isolation could be taken that way. Let's just say that i think your original statement was foolish and i do pity your lack of understanding of others and your inability to celebrate diversity. It is funny that someone who has such strong ties to the 'old world' doesn't understand this. perhaps it is because of a negative experience in trying to assimilate/accomadate to a different culture than your family's culture. I don't know and i admit i shouldn't try to read too much into this. i will agree with you on one of your points arguing against coach - that myself and others do bring more to our interpretations than just what you have written. I know coach likes to think he minimizes this by having his computer read the posts to him, but i would argue with you that it still happens.

on a complimentary note to that - i think i have learned more about you in the past 12 hrs than i have in 6-7 mos. This is a good thing even if the reason is a bit shakey. the good thing about misunderstandings is that they lead to more understanding when they are discussed and debated;) Coach does have a way of twisting things that makes him a tough cookie to argue against. I empathize with you on that. I also respect that you have 'gotten into it' with some of the more well known (well liked?) members of the site and still you are holding your own in the sense that you are not totally backing down.

so let's see, this started while we were talking about fishies, right? I would never have dreamed they could cause all this commotion. i think we should get an aquarium for the bar so perhaps more good discussions will take place. nkuvu, would you kindly set up and stock an aquarium or 2 for us? Make em big ones, several hundred gallons each. and a couple of little ones for betas. Vic can be in charge of maintaining them:D

Vic,

You equated Nazism with (American) Patriotism. As an American, I take that personally. Your comment Please think before you post sure seemed personal to me. Say that I had said things which I had not (saying you that you were a low life, white trash and a pitifull fool) seems pretty personally to me. Your comment calling into question my intelligence (the actual quote was: if you have nothing to argue on the subject it is best to (as someone said) shut up and make people think you are stupid, than talk and remove all doubt) seem pretty personal to me. Saying that I was displaying unfriendly behavior seems pretty personal to me.

So, given that, you statement i have no intention of making this personal doesn't quite ring true now does it?

Would you like to see what it is like when I actually get personal (and you have left yourself more than open to direct personal attacks I might add :D )?

Back