Herve's Bar & Grill

Ed,
It might just be that I've had two really long days in a row and before that I had more long days, and I can't get into the argueing mood now even though under normal circumstances I would hold a very strom opinion on this issue. Anyways. Also the "American Sports Fans" thread I started before may have turned me off argueing on here a bit more since that really did turn nasty. Anyways debate away! :)

P.S. Mozilla is still better!!! (kidding) :).

P.P.S. :) I actually did know he was from Romainia... I think he told me on IRC, while disscussing being a Canadian or something. I really forget :D.

Ever hear of Aikido?

Yes, I have, one of my best friends is actively studying aikido. If I am not mistaken with aikido is designed to send your attacker to the ground, or disable him/her. This gives you time to get away. The way I see it, this is exactly what we are trying to do in Afganistan, disable our attacker.

BTW, I don't like shrimp

EDIT: Your last message wasn't up when I hit post reply nkuvu ;)

My sensei described it this way (paraphrased since I didn't write it down): "If you are really angry at a piece of cork floating in water, you might try to hit it. But the cork just moves with your attack and takes no damage. So you try harder. The cork moves more, defeating your purpose. How long will you continue to attack the cork? Either you will exhaust yourself, and be unable to attack the cork more, or just get the idea that you're not getting anywhere. Either way, the cork will still be unharmed." The act of defending yourself in Aikido takes very little energy on the defender's part, so you can keep it going for a long time.

Oh, yeah, I said I was gonna shut up about this... :p

vic I have a question for you. (Bold so you see it :) )

You said that you disagree with Ed's statement that we have to be able to celebrate our diversity in order to attain peace. Then you mentioned the concept of biblical paradise.

How do you envision humanity getting there?

I'm not trying to attack you, or get you upset in any way. I'm truly curious as to your beliefs. Take your time answering, we're not going anywhere.

Hey satanic, if drinks are on you today, then they're on me tomorrow! I aced my math final!!!!! :D:D:D

hmmm... Aikido eh? They have a class going whne i'm doing Naginata

I'm with Googol on this one. I really don't feel like arguing with anyone today, about anything. That doesn't mean standing on the sidelines, it just means I'm not going to buy into a moral discussion with people who I know to be inherently good. I have spent too much real-life time lately being the mediator on one argument or another, and am tired of watching people I love hurt each-other.

So, I'm shouting Vic a drink. I completely agree with him on one point, that if you've seen paradise, the disagreements between so-called "civilised" people look pretty stupid. But to start arguing amongst ourselves about why people argue amongst themselves makes us look like the grand-high-coucil of idiocy.

So, drink up, and lighten up!

:D

macguy - the naginata looks cool. i am familiar with the weapon but did not know its name or that the styles for using it are taught in the US. It looks like a great thing to be learning. I have never had the discipline to devote myself to any martial art but have had basic instructions in several of them. I know enough to keep from getting beat up if i see an attack coming, but not much more. MY respect goes to all of you who study such disciplines.

ok, so maybe i am the grand pobah of idiocy today. But lets continue to use the past as an example and relate it to today's topics. First, Jeff, i think all some of us really wanted was for you to admit what you finally did in the sports thread thing - that it was really those particular fans that were boorish and not all american sports fans. You simply made the wrong choice of words to start with. I never at any point thought really bad of you because i already figured i knew you well enough to know that you didn't really think all americans were such assholes.

Now in today's debate with Vic, all i've been after is for him to admit that Americans are not nazis. We might be patriotic, but that doesn't make us nazis. Like you before, he let himself get mixed up in all the tangential issues rather than addressing the core subject. And frankly, he has now put himself in a position where he really owes us more of an explanation for how he does feel about diversity as well as why he gets patriotism and nazism mixed up. But really all he ever needed to do to avoid this was apologise for calling americans nazis for wanting to show support for their men and women who put their lives on the line for those of us at home.

also, in another issue of past and present - i can appreciate being tired and not wanting to get involved in big discussions. I just spent most of a month being like that because of my yard work. i have pretty much been gone from the site because of it. and what was the major topic of conversation going on in Herve's - "where is everybody?". nobody talked about anything. Well, today people have been here. and people are talking and there isn't 3 pages of "somebody post" and "this is post number 5, only 995 more to go till i get a congrats thread":D
so obviously i am not tired today. please humor me because i have missed these kinds of discussions.

and what has always been the wonderful thing about this bar - that 3, 4 or more conversations can all be going on at once. no need to get involved in everyone if you don't want to. In fact i think it is really cool when 2 or 3 people are discussing one thing, 2 or 3 are discussing another, somebody else is starting a new topic, etc. It really starts to feel like a real world party then. :cool:

so if you don't want to argue or mediate or even read our stuff, then don't. We won't love you any less if you just let us wrangle this out on our own.

so why are you guys so tired anyway? :D

Math Finals do that to you Ed. :D
Not to mention the History ones on Tuesday (shudder.... 5 essays and questions covering the whole year) were going to Tahoe in the morning.

oh yes, finals can make walking dead out of the best of souls. i know that all too well. and getting ready for a trip to tahoe can be stressful on top of that. but once you are there, i hope you get a chance to relax and get rested, or at least come back home a good kind of tired:D

And hey, i gotta say that the weather here on the coast has just been great all week. we finally got a little late afternoon fog today to cool things down a bit. but i have had to water plants nearly everyday and they are really growing fast with all the sun. Here's hoping the weather is nice up on the lake and you don't sweat to death.

so what are you going to do there? go fishing? water skiing? just hang out?

well, have a good rest. i am going back out into the yard and plant the 86 plants i bought today:p

Rite aid was selling 6 packs of bedding plants for 2 for $3 and i got a little carried away. but we are going to have lots of pretty flowers this summer:D

my original goal was to buy a couple of six packs to help fill the big dead spot i killed in the lawn while i was working, but then they had the sale and it was obviously a fresh shipment of plants, and .... well, we all have our things we get carried away with:rolleyes:

btw - would anybody like to see some pics of last weeks party? warning - the people in them may be nazis;) :D

ok, you asked for them:D

keep in mind this was a non alcohol mid afternoon party. and it was still fun.

Attachments

• 200205181358460.jpg
    200205181358460.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 15
i think we had about 70 - 80 people show up. all the food was on the tables under the canopy.

Attachments

• 200205181359694.jpg
    200205181359694.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 14
lots of family - my old lady has lots of cousins in the bay area

Attachments

• 200205181359703.jpg
    200205181359703.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 12
party by the pond - i did get lots of compliments on the yard that day

Attachments

• 200205181359735.jpg
    200205181359735.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 10
last one of the party that was our excuse for doing all the yardwork when we did. and now i get to enjoy a beautiful backyard in tranquility all by myself most days. Even the GF has taken to coming out and sitting with me when she is home:D

Attachments

• 200205181359774.jpg
    200205181359774.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 13
The yard looks great, Ed. Now you just have to shoo off those people. :) What are the shields on the trellis thingy? Coats-of-arms for the family? For the school? For the fish? ;)

(Still working on the B&G aquarium, btw)

Where did that merry go...?

Back