Herve's Bar & Grill

Don't worry Trip, you are our 'Precious Moderator' :)

Now it's my turn to rant :)D):
I've been playing the piano for eight years, I am pretty good. My teacher is pushing me to be a professional musician, and he says that if I want to, I can be one of the best out there. I'm thinking about it, but I still have to do loads of practice each day. Like 6+ hours. I can do this because I'm home-schooled, but the bad thing is, after about two hours, I loose motivation.
I think I need something which will disable the computer until I've finished
1) Piano practice
2) Flute practice
3) Math work
4) Chores
Right now, no matter how hard I try and how many resolutions I make, sometimes one or more of those doesn't get done each day. I always thought I had good self-discipline, but now I'm not so sure. Because quite often other little assignments, like reading a book chapter, or cleaning the pet's cage, or getting outside for awhile each day, don't get done. I really do try, but I'm beginning the think I need to do something drastic. Like no computer until after the piano competition I'm working towards (still over a month away). I'm not sure that I've gotten 'addicted' or anything like that, I don't spend 12 hours a day on the computer like I did at one point when I didn't have so much to juggle, but I spend enough time on here that I think it is distracting me from other things.
I am going down to my piano teacher's house this weekend, I'll be staying overnight, and I'm going to practice my brains out. I'm not taking my iBook. I'm hoping this will be enough to 'cure' me of my procrastination habits, but if it isn't... :(
One other thing that's really upsetting, I'm wanting to get a 99% (they don't give 100%) score on the SAT in a few years so I can get a full scholarship, and to do that, I've had to start taking a math course to 'brush up'. I had never done math before, or any structured subject excepting music for that matter, so when I discovered on the placement test that I was up with, and possibly even slightly ahead of my peers, I was pretty happy. I started my math book (Saxon Algebra 1/2) and everything went pretty well for awhile. Then after the review lessons, my scores on the problem sets started going down. I just did a chapter, and after 10 questions, went to check my answers. I had three correct. I was so disgusted that I stopped without doing the other 20 problems, and took a break to write some thank you cards (another of those little things that didn't get done).
I thought that this would clear up with practice, and to some extent it has, but I don't like finally not making mistakes after spending over a week getting one of of two questions wrong.
What's worse is that I am only on lesson 20, over 10 lessons behind my younger sisters. Granted they are doing books several levels behind, I was only planning to do four lessons a week instead of the five they are doing, but even accounting for that, I am still about 6 lessons behind. I think this is also due to my inability to forget about the computer.
I don't think I need to go into counseling or anything :eek: but I really need to do something about this, I am getting really mad at myself :(
[/rant]
I guess I could call this "Alex's Problems: what he's never told anyone else". I wish I could clear this up myself, but I'm not having much luck.

Hmm...well, I could make a program for you. It wouldn't lock it, but I could have it display a really annoying window that stays above every other window. Only thing is, you'd have to run it. :p

Hey Trip, everyone at school used to talk behind my back too. Err, though I was popular for some reason or other (people I didn't even freakin' know would always have to say something to me....). I dunno why, I didn't try to be (or even really wanted to be). But I am definitely weird. ;) So I didn't care about it. Heh.

Really, if you think about it, there's no reason to care what the mass majority of people think about you. It's their opinion; you can't change it, but it also doesn't really affect you. Of course, there'll always be certain people that you do care what they think about you - good friends, family, that sort of thing. But these are also the people that know you and accept you for who you are.

Err...well, sometimes some family can be pain. :p There's a big bunch of mine that say I'm going to hell because I'm not christian, but that's a whole 'nother story. :D (And even so, they still called me to wish me a happy birthday.)

That's exactly how it is for me at school darkshadow! People seem to like me, and people I don't even know talk to me. But I think even those people start talking behind my back. I don't know really, hard to explain.

dlloyd: for self control you should try hypnotism. You can PM me if you want instructions on how to hypnotise yourself. :)

dlloyd, you should use apple script for that. i wanted to make a script for someone who buys a lot of stuff in itunes so that when itunes has been running 6 seconds, the application quits ... that would save him a lot. :)

Originally posted by Giaguara
dlloyd, you should use apple script for that. i wanted to make a script for someone who buys a lot of stuff in itunes so that when itunes has been running 6 seconds, the application quits ... that would save him a lot. :)

Well the iTMS now has allowances. ;-)

Heh, I tried a new approach today, I wrote a note "I will NOT start up the computer until after I finish piano and flute practices, and math or until after 12:00, whichever comes later"
I then signed my name. It's worked so far :)

Awwww ......... what a sweet machine! I'm out to buy a 00 sizes screwdriver so I can install 'him' more RAM! :D

Okay, I know for certain that my computer habits are getting in the way of my studies. It's not so bad right now, because I am in entry-level classes since I just started college, but I know that in the future I am going to have to really buckle down and study hard to pass all my classes, especially since the semester ends on 12/20.

Dlloyd: If you need any math help, just hit me up on AIM or send me an email. I'll be happy to give you a hand with whatever you need. Give me a problem, or send me a scan, and I'll help you work through it.

Trip: You play guitar, right? Well, then you should have that to fall back on when you feel like crap. I play drums, so I have something to do when I don't feel like doing other stuff, and it's allowed me to uncover my (formerly) hidden talent for writing music.

I've linked to a sample of myself playing drums, just for fun. The recording is very low quality (an Apple mic' sitting on the floor with no muffling or anything, sampled down to 32 kbps), but you guys can still hear what I sound like. And this is after only 3 years.

Click here to listen.

EDIT: Host Ultra does delete non-web page files, so I changed the link.

"We have detected a hotlinking error. Hotlinking is when you link to images or NON html files on 1accesshost.com from another host. Hotlinking is not allowed for our FREE Accounts. Hotlinking is allowed for our paid accounts. Your account can be upgraded in the user section when you have logged in."

Oh well :p

Hey arden, send me an email with desired user name/password so I can create an account for you on urbanturban.no. It's a free web hosting service mainly for cultural projects and groups (bands, artists etc). Administered by me, maintained by a few friends and funded indirectly by the Norwegian State :cool:
Hosted on a beige G3 running Mac OS X Server. We'll get a secondary server soon, and upgrade our connections.

Control+Click on his link. :)

That's great man! I tried drumming once...it was too complicated for me. I can't keep one beat for the cymbals and one beat for the kicker and one beat for the other stuff. Way too much stuff going on. How long have you been playing?

Did I mention I got asked to halloween dance? :D

Good for you. I don't have dances anymore because I'm at college, but there's always parties or clubbing or whatever. Whatever. LOL...

Click the link above. I had it on my usual server, but it deleted it, so I put it on my old one.

Originally posted by Darkshadow
Hmm...hosted indirectly? What are you guys doing, hijacking the connection? :p ;)

Funded indirectly by the State, meaning the money goes through a fund before it reaches us :p

Well, 00 size, cross ... guess jewelers. I got a small set but I cant open the RAM slot with it. Aww... I want to install that other slot. Now. At least the airport is set up...

Back