I just don't get it....

Rayceee

Registered
Okay, so I'm clueless AND I'm blonde so if you respond, please type slowly. ::ha::

I'm running this:
Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook6,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.26 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MB61.00C8.B00
SMC Version (system): 1.51f53
Serial Number (system): W80063ZP8PW
Hardware UUID: 2B9B1183-00ED-58B6-A702-5E4D5A5B0D4E
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

Dunno if that helps, but it probably will answer any questions that I can't about the system. My problem is intermittent in as much as when it gets a bug up it's you know what, the system hangs until the cows come home. There is no "command" quit that will stop the wheel from turning and I have to wait it out. Usually about 45 minutes to 2 hours later, I'll get an "unresponsive script" mess. and it asks do I want to quit the script. Duh, so I click yes please with sugar, and then I'm back to the wheel for another 15 minutes. After the system finally decides I can end the program and I go to restart the computer, I can't get it to boot (not even from the CD using the "C" or even the Option) for at least 20 minutes. Once it finally does, I go into the disk utility and verify/repair both disk and disk permissions. It's always got a big list of stuff that's wrong mostly with "java" ... what can I do to get around having to do this every time I come across some program using java? Anyone? I'm a new Mac owner, always had PC's and am very familiar with Windows, but this thing baffles me. Help please. Thank you.

Raycee, for all of that, the only useful information that you have given us is that you are using a MacBook.

You need to give some information to work with:
  • Which version of MacOS X are you running?
  • Under what circumstances do these problems arise?
  • Which application(s) [including versions] cause these problems?
  • Are they caused by connecting to the Internet?
  • Are they caused by connecting to a printer, scanner, or some other peripheral?
To paraphrase Tom Cruise as Jerry McGuire: Help us help you.

well doesn't that just figure... okay, I'm running OSX10.6.1 and using Firefox 3.6.13 for my browser. Not always, but sometimes when I am loading a website that has any sort of flash or java advertisements, the system will take a long time to load the page and the color wheel spins forever. It happened just a moment ago as I was checking my email. But that isn't always the case. The problem seems to happen most often when the computer has been in standby for any extended period of time, but it's so sporadic that it's difficult to notice any other common denominator.
I have no problems with my printer or other peripheral.
Each time I've had to run the disk utility and repair the permissions, and disk, I keep a log. Would that be at all helpful?
I hope I answered your questions -

Run your Software Update, so your system can update to 10.6.5
Or (better for most users) download the combined updater, and install that to update to OS X 10.6.5
http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1324
That will also load the current version of Safari.
You may find that Safari works better for you than FireFox.

okay, I'll give that a try. the reason I don't use safari is because alot of my games don't work with it... why is it that they can't make this stuff compatible across the board? pfffft.

After you update - try Safari again.
The issues that you are having may be due to Flash or Java, and not necessarily the browser itself.
Could you also be having issues with Javascript? This has no relation to Java.
It might be helpful if you could tell us what particular game sites that you use.

There are also a few add-ons you might want to try with Firefox.
Even if you want to do gaming - plenty of the flash things are just annoying ads.
I'd recommend some of these add-ons for better control of Firefox experience:
adblock, flashblock (you can still view the flash things you want by clicking them), noscript
Of those I had just flashblock bookmarked https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/433/

sorry to be late returning, had more problems and couldn't get things even this far.
Okay, I have updated everything like you said, and it had been working so-so for a couple of days, but then it happened again just a bit ago. The system just hangs with the rainbow wheel turning for sometimes 40 minutes. After it does that, I try to use Command Q, but it doesn't work, nothing does. I end up having to use the power button. Then, the next time I try starting the computer, it wont boot up. Even with the CD in - holding the C doesn't work and half the time, the Option buttons doesn't either. After about 20 minutes with the cd loaded in the drive, it will finally boot to the desktop. But unless I immediately repair the files (btw, the disk never has the repair option, only the permissions are) through the disk utility, it will hang again and right back to square one.
Okay, the game sites I use are pogo, and king, some games on facebook as well, I think the most common one I use is mesmo.

Now, when I go into repair the disk permissions, it's always java stuff in the log. lots of it.
here's a small sample of it:
jconsole.jar", should be lrwxr-xr-x , they are lrw-r--r-- .
2011-01-04 01:04:33 -0800: Permissions differ on "System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Classes/management-agent.jar", should be lrwxr-xr-x , they are lrw-r--r-- .
2011-01-04 01:04:34 -0800: User differs on "System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Home/lib", should be 0, user is 95.
2011-01-04 01:04:34 -0800: Permissions differ on "System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Home/lib/dt.jar", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are -rwxr-xr-x .
2011-01-04 01:04:34 -0800: Permissions differ on "System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Home/lib/jce.jar", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are -rwxr-xr-x .
2011-01-04 01:04:34 -0800: Permissions differ on "System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Home/lib/management-agent.jar", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are -rwxr-xr-x .
2011-01-04 01:04:34 -0800: Permissions differ on "System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Home/lib/security/blacklist", should be lrwxr-xr-x , they are lrw-r--r-- .
2011-01-04 01:04:35 -0800: User differs on "System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Libraries", should be 0, user is 95.
2011-01-04 01:04:35 -0800: Permissions differ on "System/Library/Java/Support/Deploy.bundle/Contents/Resources/JavaPluginCocoa.bundle/Contents/Resources/Java/deploy.jar", should be lrwxr-xr-x , they are lrw-r--r-- .
2011-01-04 01:04:35 -0800: Permissions differ on "System/Library/Java/Support/VisualVM.bundle/Contents/Home/profiler3/lib/deployed/jdk15/hpux-pa_risc2.0/libprofilerinterface.sl", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are -rwxr-xr-x .
2011-01-04 01:04:35 -0800: Permissions differ on "System/Library/Java/Support/VisualVM.bundle/Contents/Home/profiler3/lib/deployed/jdk15/hpux-pa_risc2.0w/libprofilerinterface.sl", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are -rwxr-xr-x .
2011-01-04 01:04:35 -0800: Permissions differ on "System/Library/Java/Support/VisualVM.bundle/Contents/Home/profiler3/lib/deployed/jdk16/hpux-pa_risc2.0/libprofilerinterface.sl", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are -rwxr-xr-x .
2011-01-04 01:04:35 -0800: Permissions differ on "System/Library/Java/Support/VisualVM.bundle/Contents/Home/profiler3/lib/deployed/jdk16/hpux-pa_risc2.0w/libprofilerinterface.sl", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are -rwxr-xr-x .

it says the same stuff all the time... it's having to fix this same crap each time. The java console log is screwy as well, lots of errors, is this something I have done somehow without knowing? I'm just so frustrated.

this one is very common:

1/3/11 3:15:03 PM UserEventAgent[111] **** ERROR: SCNetworkSignatureCopyActiveIdentifiers returned nil

I'm thinking I might just take this back to the place I bought it and telling them to either fix it, or refund my money. Oh, and Giaguara, I've already added those add-ons and they didn't help. In fact, it got worse so I disabled them. :0(

Okay, I went through and updated the Safari browser, using it exclusively and it appeared to work until late in the evening when I got the color wheel and was unable to stop it regardless. I decided to NOT turn the computer off manually, and after several hours, the browser closed and the desktop reappeared. When I went to shut down the computer, as soon as I moved the cursor to the apple icon and clicked, the wheel came back and remained there. I ignored it, closing the laptop and leaving it alone for 14 hours. Upon opening it the same thing happened, so I shut it down manually, and got out my CD for restarting it. Went through the procedure for booting from the CD, (which has only worked as it should once btw) and after an hour and twenty minutes, the desktop appeared. Right now, I am running - again- the repair permissions from disk utilities after verifying the disk (repair disk was not available). The same exact repairs are being made as when I used the Firefox browser. What now? Take the computer back and get a refund?? This is insanity!!

Try this:
insert your OS X installer DVD.
Restart your MacBook, while holding the Option key.
You will see icons on the screen for your hard drive, and for the OSX installer DVD.
Click on the OS X installer icon, and press enter.
That should boot your MacBook to that installer DVD.
Click through the language screen, then open Disk Utility, which will be in the Utilities menu. You'll find that you can choose the Repair button. If that repairs anything, try the same Repair Disk, until it does not report any problems.
Quit Disk Utility, and then I suggest that you continue on with a reinstall. It won't erase your hard drive, and your files/music/pictures should not be disturbed. This is a type of repair install. When that completes, your MacBook will restart. Run Software Update to re-update your OS X system. You'll need to do that 2 or 3 times until there's no more updates available.

Here's a thought... could it be my virus protection software that is causing all these confilicts? I know that this system has got to be more stable than what it has been. If it wasn't, why would people pay so much for them?

Yes, depending on what virus protection software package you're using, it could definitely be affecting stability.

There are no viruses for OS X, despite what people may tell you. Common sense and carefulness will do you just as good as virus protection on OS X. The only reason I see to have virus protection on OS X is to protect my Windows buddies from getting a virus from me -- but then again, I take a "personal responsibility" stance when it comes to viruses... meaning, "It's not MY responsibility to protect YOUR computer." If my Windows buddies want to be protected from viruses, then they can install anti-virus measures on THEIR computers... not MINE.

Since I upgraded Safari, I have had nothing but problems. Spinning wheels, freezes and the like. Switching to Firefox solved the problem for me, but I prefer Safari otherwise.

ok, so I removed the virus protection software and still had problems so I erased the disk AGAIN and reinstalled the os. This time I was sure to not add any 3rd party apps or perephrials /drivers/etc. After installation, I updated all existing programs going through the update software 3X until there was nothing left to update as per the system. I also independently installed the Safari update like Delta suggested. Upon restarting there was a 'no' symbol on the desktop and the computer sat there for 20 mins. doing zip. Right now I am typing with one hand while using the other to hold down the 'option' key with the cd in the drive. So far I have been waiting 18 minutes for the screen to show the options and have nothing but the apple and the spinning thing. For the amount of $ I spent buying this thing you would think there wouldn't be such a hassle just to use it. What is my next step if I ever do get this thing to boot up? btw, it's now going on 25 minutes with the option button pressed and no change. I've got better things to do with my time than be a button holder for an over priced temperamental piece of frustration.

Well this is just peachy. I no longer have a hard drive to install to. The only thing the disk utility shows is the installation disk. Now what?

It sounds like you problem has been a failing hard drive all along. It finally failed completely. If this is the case, then it must be replaced.

Yes, it finally went completely. I have contacted Apple and got a case number - luckily with just enough time left on the warranty. Thank you for all your help and patience.

and working fine. it was the hard drive all along. I've not had any issues with it like before. Thanks to everyone who helped me and I appreciate that no one treated me as if I were an idiot. :D

and working fine. it was the hard drive all along. I've not had any issues with it like before. Thanks to everyone who helped me and I appreciate that no one treated me as if I were an idiot. :D

Great! I so happy you finally had this worked out. Just maybe in the future you could invest IMHO the best Mac hard disk utility on a Mac DiskWarrior.

If you want something that is free that will 85% of DiskWarrior would then look at AppleJack. IMHO this is really good too.

Back