iMac G5

iMac G5?

• Yes. Already ordered one.

• No. Worse than the Cube.

• Maybe. Will wait and see.

• What iMac? Where's my G5 PowerBook?

• Not Interested

Results are only viewable after voting.
I wonder how the screen quality in the iMac will compare to the other Apple displays... I'd hate for it to be less quality, but I'm going to guess that it will be given the price point.

Nice! This will be such a huge leap from my Current iMac which scored 49.31. I can't wait. I also hope they didn't cut back on the screen quality, that would be a shame. When is 10.4 going public? Also how much will the G5 benefit from it?

Tiger is still early in the beta process for ADC members, so I doubt it'll be anytime soon. Maybe they do a public beta three months before release, but I doubt it. 10.0 was necessary due to the overall amount that the OS needed. This is a tune up. ;)

i will most likely be getting the imac G5 next year :) and by then they'll make a faster model!!!

I'm trying to convince my girlfriend that we should get a Powermac G5, to replace the windoze machines we have. When we move in together (granted this is for another 2 years because of school), but she thinks it will cost too much money and is "ugly". I only want the 20" widescreen, not the 30". But she does like the iMac G5...oh well, better than no G5 at all. she cannot stand apple and doesn't understand the OS at all, but neither did i till Jaguar/Panther debuted

I also think I will wait for Rev. B (please god a 2Ghz Processor :p) lol hoprfully a 2Ghz 17" with 512Mb of RAM built in! and wiless keyboard and mouse! Jan / Feb time would be great but if I have t wait a little longer that's kl!!

Just ordered mine... My order status page says it'll ship on or before October 19th.

It's going to be a long wait!

Wow. So they're again out of something just released. Too bad. The good thing: They might just make enough of them in order to reach 3 (one of each model) Swiss stores before Christmas. ;)

Mines supposed to be here by the 7th. I'm hoping for earlier though! I'll post pictures when it arrives! :)

BTW: I decided on 20", 1.8GHz, 160GB, 512MB, AirPort, BT kit...

Now, the question is, do I order a 512MB stick from Crucial, or a 1GB stick. They're cost comparable, after coupon on their site, so the 1GB is pretty much about double the cost of a 512MB stick.

_Really_ depends on what you're doing with it and whether you expect to need more than 1 GB (in total) later, anyway...

That's my big dilema. If I go for an additional 512MB, which should be more than enough for most anyone (a full 1GB then), if I decided I wanted more, I'd have to remove the second 512MB stick (a decent investment at about $100.00 US) and then start replacing it. For now, this machine is going to run both clients and servers of Panther and Tiger. I'm thinking of getting Motion and Logic to complement the Final Cut Pro I already have and putting that on Panther.

My goal is to use this machine to hold me over until 3GHz hits the pro line, then this machine will be used exclusively for testing and fun things as such. The PowerMac is going to be used 100% for all my creative apps, so I might just do some things with the computer that I used to enjoy again (music creation, movie creation, graphic design, etc), and my PowerBook will be used for my live work, as a systems engineer.

Its kinda overkill, in a sense, but I have such different facets to my computing life, that its almost become necessary for peace of mind. I have back up drives at home, but it was really annoying installing all of that on my PowerBook, having limited disk space (even with an 80GB drive, 60/20 partition) and having something go wrong with testing something at work and starting all over.

That really is the beauty of this new iMac. Its so small and so nice to look at, I don't really mind having the additional hardware around my house because there really isn't any hardware or cables to get annoyed with looking at!

Go3iverson said:
That's my big dilema. If I go for an additional 512MB, which should be more than enough for most anyone (a full 1GB then), if I decided I wanted more, I'd have to remove the second 512MB stick (a decent investment at about $100.00 US) and then start replacing it. For now, this machine is going to run both clients and servers of Panther and Tiger. I'm thinking of getting Motion and Logic to complement the Final Cut Pro I already have and putting that on Panther.

My goal is to use this machine to hold me over until 3GHz hits the pro line, then this machine will be used exclusively for testing and fun things as such. The PowerMac is going to be used 100% for all my creative apps, so I might just do some things with the computer that I used to enjoy again (music creation, movie creation, graphic design, etc), and my PowerBook will be used for my live work, as a systems engineer.

Its kinda overkill, in a sense, but I have such different facets to my computing life, that its almost become necessary for peace of mind. I have back up drives at home, but it was really annoying installing all of that on my PowerBook, having limited disk space (even with an 80GB drive, 60/20 partition) and having something go wrong with testing something at work and starting all over.

That really is the beauty of this new iMac. Its so small and so nice to look at, I don't really mind having the additional hardware around my house because there really isn't any hardware or cables to get annoyed with looking at!

Sounds like you'll be better off with a PowerMac instead if you really need all that juice. The tradeoffs you get with the iMac G5 in terms of expansion and throttled down architecture may not be worth it. Of course there's cost and for what you get with bundled in the iMac G5, the PowerMacs can't even come close to touching that unless you can do withput a 20" LCD then the dusl 1.8 is looking really good.
I think many looking at the iMac G5 may compare it to the dual 1.8 and may conclude that the 20" LCD is the deciding factor in the iMac's favor even if they know they will be giving up performance. Others who already have decent displays will most likely go for the dual 1.8.

*I* think the iMac's just a nice machine for it. With the software you're using: Go 1.5 GB RAM, I say. If you can't afford it initially, you can live with 512 MB for 30 days. ;-)

lol

I'd really be hard up "living" with that 512MB huh? ;)

I agree on the PowerMac front. My goal is to buy one, but the 2.5GHz machine just doesn't have the price point that I want yet. That's primarily coming from the display side, I guess. Another deciding factor for me is that I'm going to use my developer discount on my PowerMac and the developer discount on the displays isn't really that compelling right now. I figure, when the 3GHz PowerMac comes out, though the machine will still be at the same price point, the displays may be about $300 less per model. In my mind, a $999 20" display, $1699 23", and $2999 30" display is more compelling to me. It may not happen, but as you said, considering the iMac comes with that 20" display for under $2000.00, with a non-existant footprint, no cables to hide, and such sleek styling, the iMac won't really be a hinderance in my home.

Before buying this machine, I had seriously considered buying a refurb dual 1.8GHz of the original line (with the 8 dimm slots, etc), but I also knew that I'd had my heart set on a 3GHz PowerMac. I figure if I fall in love with a machine, let it be the iMac, as it has so much versatility in placement, rather than be "stuck" with two PowerMacs with all the associated cables and such.

Some news of note on the iMac...

This weekend, my mother went to her local Apple Store and couldn't wait to call me to say how absolutely gorgeous she thought the machine was. My mother is an Apple fan, but she's not technical. She can't stop talking about it to all of her friends.

Case study number two was a group of teenage girls that came into the Apple store when I was there this weekend. All of them were drawn instantly to the new iMac. They were talking to a sales person, when I heard one say, "now this will work even better than my PC with my iPod?".....I know its just two isolated experiences at the store, but I think this machine is becoming a real hit. Also, I think its very smart that Apple hasn't really placed any television ads yet. Right now, the wait for these machines is getting longer and there's no reason to make new Apple users experience a back order. I would think that in about three weeks, we'll see a television campaign. It will give Apple time to fill their early orders, from the people that went out and saught out this great machine and then they'll start in on the iPod/Windows users to build their case moving towards the holiday season.

I think it looks great, and I'll be ordering one later this week.

I was away at the time of the launch, so I was unable to smugly link to this post I had made:

http://www.macosx.com/forums/showpost.php?p=316119&postcount=3

I was actually amazed when I saw the pictures of it - it is almost exactly as I had imagined, though I didn't imagine for a minute that it would be (I'd also not heard/read/seen any other rumours of it looking like that before making that post).

Back