is it me or mobileME

aicul

Registered
I'm trying to enter my domain on mobile me and my domain is refused.

The domain exists, and I have actually copy/pasted it just in case.

The only thing I can say is that either mobile me does not accept national domains (.IT, .CH, .FR) or does not accept hyphens "-".

Has anyone encountered the same issue?

[ps. I wish there was a mobileme forum ...]

Last edited:
based on this
It's not just a problem with domains being excluded. Any domain name with a hyphen is also rejected, in spite of the statement on the me.com domain name page that hyphens are ok.
obtained from the above link, I guess we can only conclude that Apple has some fixing to do.

I am giving up on MobileMe. I have been an iTools-.Mac-MobileMe user since it's begining. The sad part of this is I have been using the fancy email and this last "outage" I am giving up on MobileMe and stopping my yearly subscription and discouraging anyone else of using it.

I have been a Apple user almost since the very beginning. I have withstood the ridicule over years as I have received it for being an Apple user. Now with the disastrous iPhone 2.0 launch AND MobileMe fiasco is NOT the old Apple I have known in the past. Web 2.0 my ***, if this is Web 2.0 no thank you!

Last edited:
Your reaction is shared. But I wanted to be a NEW customer of .MAC (or any other name).

Just that not being able to link my domain name is ridiculous.

If I consider the money I am investing in marketing and placing all on hold because apple cannot manage a "hyphen" in a domain name is ludicrous.

In the past we joked that MS copies Apple functionality.
Now we will joke that Apple is copying MS bugs.

yes, not the Apple I like to talk about

It's been working fine for me, I really dig the new web interface and push to my iPhone is fancy.

Yes, but how can someone expect to recieve mail (simply on web or via push on iphone) if your web site is not online?

I think we all agree that the mobileMe cloud will open fanatastic opportunities. But the fact is, basic things such as email, web hosting, DO NOT work for technical reasons that I believe humanity has already solved.

Honestly, apple should praise their lucky star that no one else proposes similar push solutions to general public. Any other web hoster having the same outages would face bankruptcy within days.

So I can understand and be patient, but - between you and me - I have yet to receive one of those much published emails of "apologies".

Oh boy! Steve now has to be paying attention. Maybe now he will understand that this "Mobile Mess" is REALLY tarnishing Apple's image. With Walt and now David it is just a tick of time the rest of the tech bloggers to jump on this. This with the iPhone 2.0 rollout mess and it will not be pretty. Now even CNET is smelling blood. Take for example ars technica along with many others are now jumping on (there are hundreds of stories going or the wires). The sharks are circling!

Microsoft released Vista ahead of schedule, didn't deliver on promises that the operating system would include certain features, and suffered from severe incompatibility issues... and they're still in business (and even had a tarnished image from the get-go).

So why would this spell disaster for Apple? I'm not defending their gross negligence on the iPhone 3G and MobileMe mess, but those are but two offerings out of many offerings that Apple has... yes, they dropped the ball, but what makes you think this is the end for Apple? Because they've never messed up before? Because MobileMe makes your Mac useless? Because you had to wait 12 hours to get your iPhone activated?

I understand it's frustrating, but it's hardly all doom-and-gloom as you make it seem. They messed up, and are working to fix it... as well as handing out 30 days of free service. I certainly agree more with Apple's handling of this mess than Microsoft's handling of the Vista mess.

I'm not happy with the outages, incompatibilities and delays, just as much as the next person, but I'm not so naive to think that it's going to tarnish Apple's image beyond repair. That's just silly. Remember when you fell flat on your face in front of all your friends? Did they just up and abandon you because you made a fool of yourself, and shout out things like, "HA! You fell on your face! Now you'll NEVER amount to anything!"

Remember the G4 speed bump snafu, where Apple couldn't deliver G4 processor machines at the advertised speeds, then speed-bumped them down and charged the same price? No one was happy with that, either, but they came back, didn't they?

Abandoning Apple and simply giving up on MobileMe because it's off to a rocky start is simply asinine. If you've ever been forgiven for doing something completely wrong and stupid in your life, then man up and forgive Apple and give them your support... or at least give them constructive criticism, instead of being that guy in the glass house casting stones, as if you could do a better job than the guys at Apple. There's a reason they work there and you don't.

Last edited:
Reactions: lbj
I personally think its pretty good, sure the mail isn't working right, but everything else has been working flawlessly for me.

So why would this spell disaster for Apple? I'm not defending their gross negligence on the iPhone 3G and MobileMe mess, but those are but two offerings out of many offerings that Apple has... yes, they dropped the ball, but what makes you think this is the end for Apple? Because they've never messed up before? Because MobileMe makes your Mac useless? Because you had to wait 12 hours to get your iPhone activated?

If you havehad an email ending with .Mac since the iTools era start and suddenly the thousands of saved email (from long DEAD friends!) then goes MISSING and NEVER returned! Top that off with 5+days with ZERO email. Looks like it is time I change my email to Google. I know I am not alone on this.

I understand it's frustrating, but it's hardly all doom-and-gloom as you make it seem. They messed up, and are working to fix it... as well as handing out 30 days of free service.

Yes I was lucky and received that email, but other have not. Plus NO one has seen this 30 day extension just yet!

I'm not happy with the outages, incompatibilities and delays, just as much as the next person, but I'm not so naive to think that it's going to tarnish Apple's image beyond repair.

I am not giving up on Apple. I am giving up on the Mobile Me services. I was thinking about it with the roving .Mac problems but the Mobile Me Mess is the last straw.

Abandoning Apple and simply giving up on MobileMe because it's off to a rocky start is simply asinine.

When you loose all your email because of Apple then you keep paying for the Mobile Me service. I feel safer with a free service right now then Mobile Me. It is not a case of hating Apple, it is a case of calling out a failing on Apple's count. i sure hope the legendary Steve Jobs temper points itself toward the Mobile Me problems. Maybe then the service will live up to HIS word (see the MacWorld rollout video)!

I NEVER said I was abandoning Apple! I am calling out false advertising by Apple though and voting with MY pocketbook (dropping the Mobile Me service). Call me asinine for voting with me pocketbook is VERY rude.

Abandoning Apple and simply giving up on MobileMe because it's off to a rocky start is simply asinine.
I don't think Satcomer said he was giving up on Apple, just MobileMe. His criticisms suggest that the MobileMe debacle has done Apple no favours to their reputation which he has long defended.

However, I am quite certain Apple will have learnt some valuable lessons from this recent cock up, that perhaps long term will strengthen the company.

IMHO Mobile Me will abandoned (by the higher ups at Apple) like .Mac was after the change from iTools.

Just they abandoned .Mac many (I think like 7?) years after its introduction and after all of this hard organizational and technical work I think they'll keep MobileMe for at least another 4 years. Otherwise it wouldn't have been worth it to introduce it.

Personally I don't like MobileMe, because it just isn't what you would expect of such an expensive service.

What was .Mac? It wasn't just an email service with a calender and some contacts, like hotmail etc. It was a portal. You could create your webpages online, make your own groups, read tips on the .Mac blog page, go to Member Central and download apps and jam packs, send ecards, have your bookmarks with you wherever you go... I could go on and on. All of this was available at mac.com - not in separate apps in your Finder or anywhere else.

So what is MobileMe? Well its basically me.com which is the same like hotmail.com. Both have email, calender and contacts. Just MobileMe also has an online iDisk webpage. Well thats great, but what if you use Apple Mail or Entourage for your mail, Addressbook for your contacts and iCal for your calender? And everyone who needs to access their iDisk anyway goes to the finder. So whats left? What else does it offer? Not a lot, I can tell you. Only uploading webpages with iWeb, photo print outs etc. with iPhoto (none of this is new by the way) and the syncing of mail etc. with your iPhone and iPod Touch.

Did anyone notice what the ads of MobileMe were about? Push. Push contacts. Push calender. Push email. Every since MobileMe ad had the word push in it - that was the only marketing they could do - because there isnt anything else to market in MobileMe!

And then that message that actually it isnt even push, its just an automatic sync every 15 minutes (on your computer at least).

Quite disappointing I must say.

And now I understand why they made MobileMe cheaper than .Mac.

Last edited:
Refering to my previous post about those people that have messed up mobileMe - particularly the mail and hyphens in domains - that I think should be shown the door.

Someone commented that if they are shown the door the mess would be left unsolved.

Please pardon my comment here, but they have not left, and the mess is still here.

ps. In another thread I mentionned I had not received an "apology" email from Apple. But I have recevied an email saying mobileME works and is available.

Maybe left hand should talk to right hand....

Personally I don't like MobileMe, because it just isn't what you would expect of such an expensive service.
I take your point Ferdinand, but from now on I'll use MobileMe every day on my work's PC and I know I'll find the simpler web portal very useful, obviously for mail and calendar.

OK, so I have to wait 15 minutes for syncing/pushing between my PC at work and my Mac at home. I think I can live with that.

Back