is it me or mobileME

I wouldn't count on it... because of the iPhone 2.0 snafu and the MobileMe mess, people are going to start abandoning Apple as quickly as they flocked to Apple. I guarantee it... Apple will not withstand the tarnish this has done to their reputation (and I didn't even get an apology email from Apple... an apology email! You know, because I like to anthropomorphize companies and want to feel like they're speaking to me!)

I'm too good for backups, and this MobileMe mess made me lose every, single, one of my emails. Apple makes slick looking stuff that is tightly integrated... doesn't that mean they're responsible for the integrity of my own data, too? How dare they make me take care of my own data and look after its well-being myself! I don't have time for these shenanigans! Backups? Don't those take like 5 minutes? Where am I going to get 5 extra minutes? Next thing you know, I'm going to have to manually work the pedals and steering wheel in my own car, too! I'm gonna have to start locking the doors, because, well, if I have to be responsible for my email, that probably means I should take responsibility for the contents of my car and home, too!

On top of it all, while I love my computer and all, I would like to put in a formal request that Apple stop releasing new computers until I say it's ok. I mean, I bought my MacBook in July of last year, and they already have two new ones that have come out since then -- and at the same price points! The nerve of that company! I only got to have the "best" computer for 6 months! 6 months!!! I had only made 192 trips to Starbucks in my brand-new Birkenstocks to show off my shiny new laptop to see if it would attract some emo-goth-caffeine-addicted-sarcasm-laden-speech chick! The cute barista Esmerelda was all over me until that pink Polo, popped-collar punk with the newest MacBook came in, and then it was like I didn't even exist to her! Thanks, Apple. Thanks a lot.

I'm not trying to be a soothsayer and say that Apple is gonna die or anything, I'm just simply saying that Apple ruined my life. I thought I could just live care-free and not have to waste my time taking any responsibility for anything because Apple would take care of my sensitive emails to Grandma. Well, they didn't, and now her internet's off, and all I had were those super-sensitive emails with her as a reminder. Gosh, since Apple's gotten so bad lately, I wonder if they're letting hackers sift through my emails on their servers? I wouldn't doubt it... because, you know, hackers really, really, really want to spend a lot of time hacking me so they can get Grandma's cookie recipe out of my inbox.

Yes, I am that important.

Luckily Apple will still be around for the next few years so we don't have to pine yet!

I think he was referring to the Apple that once was. You know, the one that actually care about Macs and their local Mac users...not this new one that likes its iUsers more than its Mac users. :)

Yeah, I have a bittersweetspot for Apple lately. I still love Macs, but this isn't the same Apple I've once known and loved. So yeah, I pine (the old) Apple.

Just my feelings on the off-topic subject. :)

I think he was referring to the Apple that once was. You know, the one that actually care about Macs and their local Mac users...not this new one that likes its iUsers more than its Mac users. :)

I see what you mean and I agree with you. :)

And its not just MobileMe by the way. It's also AppleCare which gets worse every year (or month?) and their MacBook department which made my MacBook be half-yellow by now, by not choosing the right materials. And at that time they still cost around €1700. Again, not what you would expect. I guess Apple is good at that.

To get back on topic. :eek:

The REAL wrath of Steve Jobs is here and penned by himself. Read Steve Jobs on MobileMe: the full e-mail. I think heads are rolling at Apple now.

Yes we slightly went off-topic! ;)

By the sound of that email I think Steve wasn't happy about that bumpy launch either. I'm glad that Apple staff are getting themselves organized a little so things can finally get a move on.

Even though I must say by now MobileMe is running quite good. The only thing thats still irritating is, that me.com won't work on most browsers.

I also noticed that the MobileMe Status hasn't been updated since last Tuesday, even though it said "Next post later this week".

I noticed the "Next post later" sentence also...

Anyway seems that they have found over 70 bugs in MobileMe. That includes some astonishingly obvious points such as domain names with hyphens cannot be used!

My only request for assistance on the hyphen issue received a "try regularly and you will discover when the problem is fixed" answer when asked for a possible resolution date.

Pity that they cannot setup mailing lists for known bugs to inform their customers. What is strange is that they can do this for marketting (I get multiple iTunes marketting emails).

So guess we are condemned to "try try try ... and hope"

Yes I also got those iTunes marketing emails.

The only thing I can say is that either mobile me does not accept national domains (.IT, .CH, .FR) or does not accept hyphens "-".

Just that not being able to link my domain name is ridiculous.

If I consider the money I am investing in marketing and placing all on hold because apple cannot manage a "hyphen" in a domain name is ludicrous.

but, domain names with hyphens are STILL not accepted.

Anyway seems that they have found over 70 bugs in MobileMe. That includes some astonishingly obvious points such as domain names with hyphens cannot be used!

I don't want to be rude or anything, but I think we got your point with the hyphens. Obviously they aren't working and that is a problem for you. Most users in this thread already know this so you don't need to keep on mentioning it in every other post of yours. Again - I don't want to be rude, I'm just mentioning it.

Just for the record I opened this thread on that issue, so don't be surprised that I raise the issue because ... it is still unresolved.

Just for the record I opened this thread on that issue, so don't be surprised that I raise the issue because ... it is still unresolved.
True, but no one here can do anything about it.

It's all in Apple's court now, and I doubt the speed at which they resolve that particular bug is dependent upon the discussions and goings-on in this thread. Constantly and consistently raising the point just for raising the point's sake until the issue is resolved would be, well, annoying, for lack of a better term.

On topic, though... it is a strange oversight on Apple's part, though (the domain-dash thing, especially -- but we all make stupid, forehead-slapping, obvious mistakes sometimes). Not that that's any excuse for what's going on with all the bugs, but I have heard some rumors that point to the fact that the actual code and programs running all of the MobileMe services were/are written by 3rd-parties... or that 3rd-parties host the software on a combination of Linux/UNIX machines... or that the whole MobileMe cloud is a conglomeration of 3rd-party softwares all trying to work together... or that somehow, the entirety of the services isn't 100% under Apple's control...

...which is a different approach on Apple's part than what we saw from .mac, as I understand.

The real shame is that MobileMe proposes dramatic facilities to M. Anybody. And the go-live debacle has removed a lot of the shine that comes with Apple products. A reputation that will not be regained overnight.

Whatever the reasons, some of the bugs are just absurd. Lets you wonder whether the bug was due to incomplete testing, no testing, or incomplete functional specs, or ???

I also raise again (no! not the hyp... issue * * * UGH * * *) but a secondary point of my initial posting : "I wish there was a mobileMe forum"

I say this because I believe that mobileMe can potentially change everyones daily experience (with IT) so it deserves a dedicated forum. Maybe under the miss-named "Gadgets" section that refers to iPods, etc..

"I wish there was a mobileMe forum"

I say this because I believe that mobileMe can potentially change everyones daily experience (with IT) so it deserves a dedicated forum. Maybe under the miss-named "Gadgets" section that refers to iPods, etc..
While this request is out to the powers-that-be here at macosx.com, in the interim, there's always Apple's own discussion board (which has a MobileMe forum):

http://discussions.apple.com/index.jspa

Back