Lets get together some arguments why MAC is better than PeeCee!!!

ED

Now that is one of the replies i was expecting. you all sit here going on about PPC superiority and then when someone questions the statements and asks for proof of said statements you come out with something like your last post, it makes me laugh man. All i want is proof from all the big mouths on this forum.

PS i dont buy Intel, Ever

atleast i know you aint living in some nice costal area cos of me:D

FrgMstr, I have Benchmarks which back me up. The funny thing about benchmarks is, if they are done by Mac people, the Macs beat the PCs in mentioned Apps by far! If they are done by neutral people, the Macs beat the PCs in some areas where at the same time the PCs are superior on others. If they are done by Intel or AMD, the PCs processors beat the Mac and the other leading PC processor by far.

You know, benchmarks are most often baised. I am happy that my Mac can make MPEG 2 encoding in realtime since I love making my own DVDs (as I just converted my top-quality Lord of the Rings screener to a DVD). For me, I haven't seen a PC doing this. I also haven't seen a benchmark where the PC beats the new Quicksilver in this point. You have seen them. I believe you, but do I believe the benchmark? To me, it just doesn't matter. My opinion is that there still are things where the Altivec Engine boosts the aged G4 into the same levels or sometimes even above the top AMD or P4 processors. I can back this up with some benchmarks. Most of them from Mac websites or magazines, but also some done by neutral magazines.
Again, to me, it doesn't matter. I don't care which of those benchmarks is right or wrong.
I like the philosophy of the Mac, I LOVE the OS (both 9 and X), I love the periphals available, I love "toys" like the iPod, I love software like iTunes.

Let us agree that comparing these systems is stupid, regardless on whatever level you compare them, price, performance, style, OS, apps...whatever.

I remember that a similar thing was going on when Linux got more and more popular. Linux freaks where showing off their old 486 processors beating a Pentium 90 at some tasks etc. Now, everybody knows that the idea behind Linux and Windows is so different, that a comparison is plainly stupid. Like comparing a 100K$ truck tossing some thousand kilos of stuff and a 100K$ Porsche...and I think people have to realize that the same is true for PCs and Macs.

I, for one, HATED it when Jobs pitted the Dual 800 against a P4 on the last keynote. This is exactly the fuel this year old flame war doesn't need.

Ulrik

Post the benchmark links, im interested too see them, im not bothered who wrote them, i just want to see them.

The world would be a boring place without choice and i agree with alot of what you say.

OK, let's go:

Here is one where a P4 2 Ghz is pitted against my G4 867 and the outcome is more than unclear. The P4 wins most tasks, but the G4 beats it with around 60% in color reduction. To me, a rather pointless benchmark, since a P4 2Ghz should not be compared to a 867 but to a Dual 800 IF YOU COMPARE THEM (you know my opinion about this). There the outcome, if you ask me and if you look at the numbers, would be clear and the price tag would be the same (IIRC the P4 2Ghz is quite expensive, with a good casing, a GeForce 2 MX, a DVD-Burner, a 60 Gig HDD, Firewire etc. etc. you should be close to the Dual 800).

http://www.techtv.com/print/story/0,23102,3339307,00.html

A very good read is this. The architecture of the P4, a bit of the AMD and the G4 are compared, showing the big points of the G4 and P4 and also the drawbacks! A GREAT ARTICLE, but not easy to understand. After this, you will understand my "FXCH is no longer free" joke. After this, you will see that Intel carries around 10 year old technology...the processor stack!

http://www.arstechnica.com/cpu/01q2/p4andg4e/p4andg4e-1.html

Actually, I don't have a site for the AMD against G4. I have some magazines which compare them, and to P4s. My "feeling" towards the Athlon XP is that it simply has the architecture the Mac community is waiting for...the G5. But still, I am proud that the G4 can hold up to the Athlon XP and, in some cases, beat it. Again, the question is, which processors do you compare? On the PC side, you compare similar Mhz counts, but on the crossplatform benchmark? Same Mhz counts? Apple wins due to the shorter pipeline. Then again, at the same time Sun would completely stomp Apple due to the higher FSB compared with the shorter pipeline. Compare the same price tag? Not possible, since Macs are prices as a package. Compare the top processors? Also not possible, since Apple doesn't release the fastest processors they have due to marketing...sure they have the Apollo G4 at Ghz counts ready for the fact that the G5 AGAIN is not finished...and they Apollo G4 will be released in January, believe me, sadly again with 133 Mhz FSB...the RAM then can no longer feed the processor fast enough...Apple knows this, and that's why they can't wait to release the G5...

This is what I have to post here, the rest are magazin benchmarks...

if i thought mhz mattered or ghz i should say, then id own a P4 but i dont thats why i own an Athlon XP :D

ive posted a new thread with a lot of comprehensive cross platform benches take a look.

I dont want that all The farm boys who use Windows becomes a Apple user, There all to stupid for it..

My XP with Mac users are that they all have a special intrest in Arts and they have all Artistic Jobs.. Those windows users are all Stupid and they dont know nothing.

OK, i didnt understand a word you said there m8, think you need to brush up on your english.

For your info though im a Computer Science student with an IQ of 149 so i dont really think im that much of a stupid Windows user(That is what you were trying to say wasnt it). You really shouldnt generalise and assume so much m8. Especially when you cant put it across properly either.

ah i get it now, the ones who have artistic jobs are the clever ones in life, not the ones involved in Scientific and mathematical research etc. I get ya makes sense, i can imagine your opinion is taken very seriously on these boards. LMAO

No offence to any artist here, just making my point.

Don't get me wrong, FrgMstr, but what is the reason that you actually participate on this forum.

This is no offence, I just like to know.

Well, as i said im a Comp Science student, I really like Computers and find different platforms very interesting. I use a PC obviously, they are alot more flexible for what i do, i.e everything. When i slate something i do it based on facts not cos i prefer AMD, INTEL, MOT i dont own shares in them i have nothing to gain by slagging them off. I never knew macs existed until 3 years ago when a m8 of mine whos a Mac user told me about the G4, said it was super computer bla bla, i though how come ive been using PCs for so long if there is this magical supercomputer for a bit more money, once i investigated i soon discovered the "Steve taking a dump" theory i pointed out earlier. I was most impressed however with the G4's ability at RC5 encryption Cracking Altivec is wicked for that App, but then when i found that wasnt reflected in other stuff like SETI, OGR, PRIME etc i started to weight up the pros and cons of each platform and came to my own conclution that PC procs especially Athlon is far more powerful, it just is, this is of course partly due to competition.

But as i am more of a hard core user i tend to get more upset then the average forum user by people talking C**P i.e X86 v PPC

Im seriously thinking about getting a new Mac im just waiting for the next mac world onthe 7th i think. id really like to have a go at developing for the Mac and am even considering a cross platform filesharing type project for my CS degree next year.

I used Pc's for roughly 10 years before I bought my G4. I like to compare the mac to the pc with my Mazda MX6 and my Honda Civic. The mazda is very well engineered and a well refined car where the Civic is more for practicality parts are a dime a dozen and is more cheaply built. Both however have draw backs and advantages over each other. I like the mac because of its luxury refined feel You get in front of the keyboard and it just works. Where as the pc (which is still a good computer) seems thrown together and less refined but it is cheap to work on and parts are a dime a dozen. I too am a IT student I also work for the Government as a systems Admin and helpdesk tech, so I work with win NT and 2000 all day everyday. I think a lot of times some of the issues with windows requires you to be professional to fix where the Mac tends to be easier to fix. But hands down I like computers not macs not PC's but computers. So I will continue to play with and work on both. I prefer the mac but that's just my humble opinion. I think anyone who says mine is better than yours is a small minded fool. They both have advantages and disadvantages.

Why cant we all just get along :D

Wow wow wow wow easy here, OK?

Comparing computers and cars is my part on this forum, OK?

:D

I know that all of the important People in the IT buziness are using normal PC's, and i know that Windows NT is used by professionals.

But i can't stand the idear that Bill Gates has made windows the standard
OS for whole the world..

There are many interesting operatings systems overthere. BUt i dislike Windows because its a unpersonal OS. It is a dead system it has no spirit .

The Mac OS becomes your buddy in live, while you work with it. Its like the Mac has his own personality. Thats why i fell in love with a Mac because it has a personality !

Originally posted by StarScream

The Mac OS becomes your buddy in live, while you work with it. Its like the Mac has his own personality. Thats why i fell in love with a Mac because it has a personality !

I think you hit that right on!

Well, Herve's new signature points towards my dislike of M$ which is synonomous with pc at this point (no offense linux folks - but in truth i have never knowingly met one linux user in person).

when i bought my first mac back in the mid eighties, which looked just like my avatar, it held the promise of eveything good about windows today. PC's still ran on dos and only a pro could make sense of them in a reasonable time. The mac looked destined to become the computer for the common man and the artistic. PC was going to run businesses. then Billy stole the code and changed history. most people go to jail or pay huge penalties for stuff like this. Billy became the richest man in the world. mac users became relegated to second class citizens. and bright people like frgmstr grow up not even knowing about the potential advantages of a mac because they've been led to believe that mac's are either a kid's computer or just for very specialized fields. they're too far gone not to defend the way they were raised.

on the other hand, i'm kinda glad apple didn't become the most popular computer. I still like not having to worry about every little virus and knowing that when i do meet a mac user, i have met someone very special from my perspective. not to mention, without pc users who would we have to amaze with all the nifty things our macs do that their computers don't?:)

You never met a Linux freak? Damn, you missed something buddy...

wait....I used to be a Linux freak till Win2K was released..............

Ever tried to understand console outputs if you are not familiar with Assembler? That's what it's like when you meet a Linux dude ;)

Back