.Mac Petition

The petition is a great idea; please sign it. In addition, if you can take the time, submit individual feedback; individual comments generally carry a lot more weight.

I would propose that 5 MB email and 5 MB homepages stay free; it's great advertising for Apple. We should all tell them as much in the feedback we send them.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/mac/gtm.html

I think the main point here is that a lot of people dont care that apple is charging $99 for .mac but what they are mad about is that they are being forced to pay if they want to keep their @mac.com email address. Now, I personaly only use iTools email and nothing else, I could care less about iDisk because I just don't need it. As far as the homepage.mac, I had just started fooling around with it the other day and I really find it useless for me. If we could convince apple to keep hosting our free email that would satisfy me completely, I really think it would satisfy most people who are mad. I do think that it kind of sucks that Steve Jobs did say FOREVER when intoducing iTools. If it comes down to it though I will fork out the dough just for my stupid @mac.com address, I will probably then use the iDisk and homepage because I'm paying for it and refuse to waste my money. If you want to feel better about paying for the .mac service just think of it this way... It only costs $8.25 a month. I know I can afford $8.25 a month, maybe it will get me to quit smoking or quit spending money on more frivilous things.

See, now they'll be all like: "See! It IS a good idea! because of .Mac, people are quitting smoking!" :D

Originally posted by azosx

It sounds like I touched a nerve with SimX. I wasn't trolling, everything I said was true. I'm experiencing it right now with my Mac.

Office v.X cost me around $400, Adobe Photoshop 7 another $500, it's been an expensive month.

And no, I would have not been able to open all my Windows files and documents "seemlessly" without these purchases. It's funny how Apple neglects to mention the notion that additional software may be required.

Apple really shafted some people this time around. Their switch campaign should now be renamed to "bait & switch" because esentially that's what they've done, especially with their migration to .mac.

Many will switch to a Mac from PC then realize the initial investment was just one of many that it's going to take to get their new Mac in line with their old PC.

They sold everyone on the idea that the .mac email would be free, forever, getting you to use iTools and becoming dependent on it. Now they are taking it all away from you unless you're willing to fork over $100 anually. That's a lot of cash for very little substinance.

It's called bait & switch. MS and Yahoo did it as well with their email services. The only difference is they continue to offer free basic services.

It's not going to affect me because I never used iTools. But I sincerely feel for all those who are going to have to change their email and find a new solution. What a terrible inconvience is will likely be.

Yes, and Apple is the first company to give away services and then charge for them. I've been reading your posts for weeks now and am amused, if not shocked, at how you preach your awareness of "the real world" and "how capitalism works" in some posts, and then go and defy all of that with a few inane remarks.

Just two words for you as an example: Net Zero. Ever heard of them? AOL. You know this company? Companies changing their policies is a practice that has been around since there have been companies. You are the prototypical basher who pretends to own a Mac and be part of the group, yet every statement that makes it onto this forum is contradictory to that. I wouldn't be surprised at this point if you are a PAID basher, and this is why I think so:

1) You induce just the right amount of empathy, or camraderie in this community, but then take every single opportunity to bash Apple and all Mac products.
2) Your command (and I use that term loosely) of the English language approaches the high school level, and that's par for the course for basher-speak.
3) Every single one of your posts is a reply to somebody else's. The true basher has nothing substantive (notice the spelling, you troll) to add to a forum, but rather is compelled to tee off on what everybody else says.

Having said that, I'm not happy with having to pay for .mac email, but then again I don't use it. I think it's a slap in the face to a lot of devoted Mac users, and is really appalling timing given the "Switch" campaign.

Hey, why not just be happy that you have your crappy little plastic beige Windows box with all that blazing processing speed? Never mind that it's all for naught if you can't form two complete sentences, and that working in Windows is as much fun as, well, working in Windows.

Yea, I better go out right now and smoke a couple. One for me and one for apple. Maybe if I say I will smoke 5 extra cigarettes a day untill I have to acctually pay for the .mac upgrade they will see that as a worse thing and think I won't even have enough money after that to even buy another Mac ever again so then they will completely trash the .mac idea and appologise to all the Mac users in the world and give out free copies of Jaguire to everyone who owns a Mac and also everyone who pledges to switch to a Mac.:D

Originally posted by devonferns

Yes, they come with the burner when you buy it, not with the computer.

If you buy a burner for a Mac, it will most likely come with Toast.

No, that's not what I meant. Nero and Roxio have deals with many major PC manufaturers that allow their software to ship with them.

I agree with some of the recent comments about the primary problem being the removal of features, rather than paying for extras. When I first heard the rumors, I found the name change from "iTools" to ".Mac" somewhat cheesy and somewhat ominous, but thought little more of it. Now that details have been confirmed, I am only annoyed by the feeling that a service is to be removed, rather than worrying about paying for new features. I believe iTools was once advertised as being just for Mac users and would be "for life;" all the more reason for buying a Mac, if you will, especially as it was and is a minority platform (unfortunately!).

If Apple were to maintain the existing (and somewhat limited) iTools features for free and provide users with the option of paying for much enhanced features, then I would be entirely happy with that! What bothers me is the feeling that we have been practically "robbed," rather than being given extra choice. I would have been happy to consider paying for the extra services if my iTools account was secure and was free, but the feeling that I have had options "forcibly" taken away from me causes resentment. This issue may not be a cataclysmic disaster, but it does alienate Apple from its users. I hope that Apple may consider an alternative proposal.

good. the only problem is you'll eventually die at that pace and fail to be able to experience the full essence of Jaguar, so don't indulge yourslef TOO much :)

mail should be free. Jobs may have bitched about microsoft, but they still have FREE email. Now we don't. Thats sh!te.

Originally posted by squidbite

Yes, and Apple is the first company to give away services and then charge for them. I've been reading your posts for weeks now and am amused, if not shocked, at how you preach your awareness of "the real world" and "how capitalism works" in some posts, and then go and defy all of that with a few inane remarks.

Just two words for you as an example: Net Zero. Ever heard of them? AOL. You know this company? Companies changing their policies is a practice that has been around since there have been companies. You are the prototypical basher who pretends to own a Mac and be part of the group, yet every statement that makes it onto this forum is contradictory to that. I wouldn't be surprised at this point if you are a PAID basher, and this is why I think so:

1) You induce just the right amount of empathy, or camraderie in this community, but then take every single opportunity to bash Apple and all Mac products.
2) Your command (and I use that term loosely) of the English language approaches the high school level, and that's par for the course for basher-speak.
3) Every single one of your posts is a reply to somebody else's. The true basher has nothing substantive (notice the spelling, you troll) to add to a forum, but rather is compelled to tee off on what everybody else says.

Having said that, I'm not happy with having to pay for .mac email, but then again I don't use it. I think it's a slap in the face to a lot of devoted Mac users, and is really appalling timing given the "Switch" campaign.

Hey, why not just be happy that you have your crappy little plastic beige Windows box with all that blazing processing speed? Never mind that it's all for naught if you can't form two complete sentences, and that working in Windows is as much fun as, well, working in Windows.

What's funny is you seemed to miss the last paragraph you quoted from me in which I stated MS and AOL have done the same thing with their services.

I'm not passing the blame to anyone specifically, especially not Apple. It's just sh*tty that companies feel the need to do this. Apple is obviously no different than MS, AOL and NetZero in this respect.

Your command of the English language is obviously reflected in your PC and Windows bashing. Good for you. I'm glad you pointed that out. Kudos.

Originally posted by azosx
When has Apple ever over-turned a decision at the request of it's user base?

Maybe they have but I don't seem to recall them ever doing so.

Jobs is a very stubborn man and apparently a liar? Is it true that he said iTools would be free forever? I don't use iTools but if I were as dependent on it as it sounds other users are, I would be furious.

$100 anually is outrageous for email and 100MB of online storage. Get a external 40GB FireWire HD and take it with you. You'll be money ahead in less that 2 years.

I don't know, this may be a sign that Apple is a bit hardup for cash. How did their iPhotos venture turn out? Do people actually pay and absurd amount of money to get grainy digital photos binded through Apple? I never hear about it anymore so I am assuming no.

This is going to be a big slap in the face to a lot of their newly "switched" users as well.

I can see it now. "So I payed $1000 more just to get this Apple that can do everything, and they were right, it can do everything Windows did, just for a hell of a lot more money!"

I'd love to see a Microsoft "switched back" campaign addressing something like this. :)

It would go something like this...

"Yeah, I made the switch and it was o-k for about 10 minutes. The PowerMac G4 is sure sexy other than the hairline crack across the front of the case. I called AppleCare and they said cosmetic issues are not covered, and that in my case it wasn't a flaw but a mold line. Bummer."

"Next, I spent the first half hour looking for MS Office, but couldn't find it. What gives?"

"Every PC I had ever purchased before came with a new version of MS Office, but I guess I have to pay $500 if I want to run it on my new Mac. What a crock!"

"Sure, all my Windows files and documents opened flawlessly in OS X, I just need to invest about $2000 more in software to get them to do so."

"Next I tried signing up for .mac, figuring it was like the free MSN Hotmail XP offered. My God, Apple wants $100 a year, I began to feel a sinking in my stomach."

"I promptly returned this little beast back to the Apple store for a full refund minus the $400 restocking fee."

"Finally I called Dell. Got 2.4GHz P4 with XP and MS Office Pro. They even gave me dialup for a year free and 8 email accounts with 20MB storage a piece."

"Thinking different sure turned out to be a costly investment."

"My name is Bill, and I can't stand being lied to."

That was pure genius man.....what a great post.

I'll sign any petition that includes that as the letter from all.im down.

I can see how using a .mac email address can be a symbolic gesture of support for apple, but how many of you people really use it? Didn't everyone get an email address when they signed up with their ISP? I admit that I signed up for my itools account when I bought my powerbook, but I already had internet access and an email address...didn't rest you as well? Don't flame me too hard, I am honestly just asking.

For me, losing itools is no big deal. No I won't be paying for it... it offers no value for me. Unless you are on broadband, backing up anything to a remote server could literally take days over a slower internet connection. I am one of the unfortunate many who can't get DSL or cable modem, and while I have 128k ISDN(pricy :( ), uploading something to my idisk takes about 1 minute per meg... not fun if I wanted to back up my entire documents directory or my mp3 directory.

Virus protection? Hehehe... a mac with permissions set properly shouldn't really have to worry all that much(providing you don't use the administrator account for daily use). Besides, how many virus' are written for macs anyway...sometimes its good to have 5% market share.

I do, however, sympathize with those of you who are upset about the broken promise of "Free for Life," but if your .mac address is really that important to you, $9/month really isn't all that much.

Still, even at $130 I will definately be upgrading to 10.2. Being the BSD freak that I am, how could I not?

1. .Mac was inevitable, saw it coming a mile a way. Yes, it's good old fashioned bait and switch. Apple is as guilty as any other company that wants to actually make money. Here's a clue, never depend on anything that is free, cuz someday it won't be.

2. The Switch—Yeah, the TV ads definitely make it seem easier than it is. "Opening" an Office file is nice, but not the same as the real deal. In the business world, you either have Office or you have trouble. Deal with it. (I got mine for $5 through an educational supplier. It's not that hard. And if you think I feel one bit guilty, you're wrong.)

3. The Petition—That's like voting Libertarian...a wasted vote. But hey, if you makes you feel good. It's funny to think that, of all the people on the planet, you would actually address it to Steve Jobs. He is probably the least likely person alive to give a crap what you/we think. (I love Stevo BTW).

I'm trying not to gripe and moan too much. The reason I signed up for iTools is because I move around alot and rarely stay on the same ISP for more than six months due to the moves. Mac.com e-mail could move with me and I wouldn't have to send out those "my new email is..." messages all the time. I don't use iDisk, iCards, or HomePage. So, it's just not logical to spend $8.50/month on top of ISP charges for an e-mail account. Anyway, I politely expressed these concerns to Mac feedback. Will it do any good? I doubt it. I guess for free, "moveable" e-mail I'll have to deal with spam-ridden Hotmail or Yahoo! although I don't want to.

d8n_two

Well yeah its odd you have to pay for an option feature that is ingrained into the OS, apart from online fees. I mean sh!t....it was a pretty savage burn by apple to say "OK you guys, pay up or get out..we thought we could do this and now we cant"...Sttttteeeeevie puuuuuuuleeeeezzze. Apple totally got people all hyped about having this little piece of internet pie that was A PART of 10.1+ until 10.2?
now all of a sudden they decide to do the switcharooonie on us??....Uh uh companies as large as Apple know damn well they are going to start charging, in fact they should have known way before offering it for free "FOREVER"...and yeah that includes the 25meg chunk.:D

Jobs looked parched and nervous during the announcing of the price......cause he knows he is screwing his own people...the people that made him who he is.

I signed. I too feel that I have been lied to. But oh well life goes on I guess.

For those of you who enjoyed mac.com for email I found another service that does offer free POP email. Yes they are a rarity:

http://www.hotpop.com/index.jsp

Is it just me or did this MacWorld seem to be the worst one? Oh and I guess 10.2 has nothing to do with 10.1 or 10.0, because you have to pay full price for 10.2 regardless what you have.. HAHHA what a joke Steve. Thanks for nothing. I guess you gave piracy a nice shot in the arm come August 24th.

I am afraid you are correct - the full price upgrade policy will wiz off quite a few people. Especially when we are being reamed by the .Mac fiasco as well.

I used my @mac.com account cause I thought it would be permanent. I don't care about storage space, and while I do host my web site on mac.com it's only for the advertisement factor. I have a university account for free but I don't use it because it will die in 3 years when I graduate. 3 years is looking like eternity considering I only used @mac for a year.

What I really want, is an alias. How hard can that be? f*ckMicrosoft.com gives away free aliases and charges for POP mail accounts, maybe I'll use that. I want to show my support for Apple. Let my employers know that I have will power and I'm not going to miss their mail in all the junk mail I receive through Hotmail. I just feel robbed and think over and over in my head a line I've used against Microsoft so many times.

The first hit of heroin is free :(

I don't care about anything but my email! it was represented as free with a mac. I am a long time mac user 15 years as wellas a mac software developer and use macs in my everyday life. I make purchase recomendations. I have given out my mac.com email address everyplace thinking it's one I could really rely on!
bzzzzt!!!! wrong now we get screwed for being loyal and trusting.

It will be nearly impossible to ever contact every person using my mac.com email address. I have NO USE for the old iTools never ever used it. and have no use for the new .mac system... it's a system set up for lame people who have zero computer skills... I have a perfect back up system already installed.... I copy my entire live functioning system to my local server and can restore from a live searchable copy at all times in fact I can restore my whole OS with installed software and all if it came to it.

the very least apple could do is continue to allow pop3 access with a mailbox size of 2-5 megs for free with no other .mac services available

I am unbeleivably pissed about this and have sent this to apples feedback as well.

Back