Newest known Tiger build: Mac OS X 10.4.3 8F8

Nope. Well, it stayed active for me through updating, but if I open Quartz Debug and close it, it's deactivated again.

Hey fryke,
I've reading how dashboard has been slightly altered. Such as, when you want to delete a widget you no longer have to go to the library. Is this true? Instead you can somehow make a red x appear in the dashboard dock and delete this way. I'm really curious about this because it would be sweet to delete widgets directly from dashboard. Also, anything different about dashboard besides that?

Yes. When you hover over a Dashboard widget's icon in the DBdock, there's a small 'forbidden'-icon (bad choice?) in the name tag which you can click to remove the widget. This icon's only there for third party widgets, though, i.e. you can't remove Apple's widgets.

Also, when you download a widget with Safari, it isn't auto-installed anymore. Once you double-click a widget in the Finder, you get a dialogue box that lets you test-drive/install/cancel. The test-drive is a "safe place" to run the widgets. Basically, you simply get a few more steps until a malicious widget would do its stuff. Doesn't mean someone could still create a bad widget that tricks you into installing it, though - but it's still safer, since it doesn't get auto-installed.

seems to me that isntead of offering a safety barrier, shouldn't the encoding of dashboard be more inherently secure? this sounds like a work around cheap code. like all of windows?

Lt Major Burns said:
seems to me that isntead of offering a safety barrier, shouldn't the encoding of dashboard be more inherently secure? this sounds like a work around cheap code. like all of windows?

Will this update disable the Widget Manager in the Preferences?

Widget Manager is something apple should have included, allows me to delete/add widgets with out going into the Widgets folder. Including Apple's own widgets.

Hey fryke, is it just me or is that site (Im guessing your site) that you keep linking to down? Everytime I follow it it brings up the top of the page and the title of the news strip- and the rest of the page is blank? In any case, thanks for the updates!

Hey fryke I was wondering if you could post a srceenshot of the widget manager. I would just like to see it. I'm really curious. I know it might be illegal but it shouldn't because Tiger is out. I just think it sounds really neat in how it looks. Thanks

The site's not down, Stridder. Something's strange with the CSS, I guess. The text follows a bit further down... :/
Screenshots of the widget manager...

Attachments

• widgetman1.png
    widgetman1.png
    26.8 KB · Views: 39
  • widgetman2.png
    widgetman2.png
    38.2 KB · Views: 49
The screens are in German, I guess. But you should get the idea. Oh... Parts of the manager are in English, it seems. ;) -> File bug report to Apple. :p

i'm seeing the same problem with your blogsite. it loads up the title, and the first sub-title... then nothing. the sidebar loads as well, but that's it.

Just look _below_ ... I've changed the layout now. I have no idea what changed, really. The original (which I've tweaked) shows the same behaviour. Now only the first article looks a tad strange. Hmm... Too bad.

[Update: It's a "known issue" at blogger.com. They've updated their code (something about image upload) and that destroys some - but not all - layouts. They're working on it and might find workarounds for the templates. Guess I'll have to fix mine myself, then - unless they really fix things instead of finding workarounds.]

fryke said:
The site's not down, Stridder. Something's strange with the CSS, I guess. The text follows a bit further down... :/
Screenshots of the widget manager...

Wow, Apple's REALLY getting inconsistent with their UI. The new Widget Manager looks like some weird Swiss French Teletext system. It looks HORRIBLE. I might as well just hook up a crappy PAL TV to my G5 and wait for the weather to eventually scroll by every 10 minutes or so.

Maybe it would make more sense if I could read French; I'm assuming "Le temps par telephone" means "disable all widgets", or something like that?

You know, the Finder/Dock was a bad start. Brushed metal was bad enough. The new UI inconsistencies in Tiger were a stretch, and the complete diversion from their UI rules with their widgets is one thing, but this is horrible. I, for one, won't be installing the 10.4.2 update.

fryke said:
Erh... That Swiss Teletext thingie is a Swiss Teletext widget, of course.

Yes. I don't really think that "Le temps par telephone" means "disable all widgets".

=)

So it was all irony? Or not all of it? What should we make of your post? I mean: I personally think Apple _did_ wrong with many of the UI inconsistency that led to, finally, Tiger. But what _do_ you think about the widget manager? I think it fits the Dashboard UI at least...

Back