Official Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Thread & FAQ

No. Just like with any version of Mac OS X before, iLife is a separate package. There's the Mac Box Set, of course, which contains iLife and iWork.
Thanks. I didn't think so. Not at £25. iLife did come with Tiger though.

Ah, I'll have to dig out my Tiger box and take a look-see... I hadn't realized that, I suppose, since I purchased iLife '04 (I think?) to complement my Tiger. Perhaps that was $79 wasted!

Beddy beddy interwesting. . . .

So, how do you do that? Do you make a disk image of it? Do you have a separate partition on an Ex-HD? I have SuperDuper!.

--J.D.
A separate partition would do, but I choose to use one of several surplus 2.5" drives I have (left over from HD upgrades), mounted in an external case...

http://tinyurl.com/lzdlyy

Then I just put the drive away for safe keeping.

jb

Ah, I'll have to dig out my Tiger box and take a look-see... I hadn't realized that, I suppose, since I purchased iLife '04 (I think?) to complement my Tiger. Perhaps that was $79 wasted!
Stop searching! I think it was Leopard that came with a newly purchased Mac Mini that included iLife.

The box included two additional discs that that you had to use to install Tiger before you could install Leopard. The iLIfe (not iWork) was included on the second disc.

Update: According to the BBC Snow Leopard includes iWork '09.

Last edited:
Stop, stop, stop... Don't let those horses run wild. Before iLife became its own package, things were different. But *NO* version of Mac OS X ever came with iLife. (What sense would it make to count iLife as one of three parts of the Mac Box Set else?)

10.3 was Panther. No iLife included. 10.4 was Tiger, no iLife included. 10.5 was Leopard. No iLife included. (The Leopard Mac Box Set included iLife '09 and iWork '09.) 10.6 is Snow Leopard. No iLife (and no iWork) included. The Mac Box Set with Snow Leopard includes iLife '09 and iWork '09.

However: iLife is included with new Macs. (For a couple of years now already...) I thought this was general knowledge here on macosx.com...

That's what I thought... iLife, in various versions, was included with new Mac purchases (which also include Mac OS X install/restore CDs/DVDs), but never with a retail version of OS X, though.

I installed the "Upgrade" version of Snow Leopard and it works perfectly without leopard. I just reformatted right before and everything went fine. It takes up 5 GB and there is no iWork or iLife like anybody thought.

you mean "as expected". ;) Do I really have to add "No, Snow Leopard Retail (Upgrade from Leopard) does not contain iWork or iLife..." to the FAQ?

Sh*t, it's Friday night. 'kay guys, I'm going out for drinks now. No problem reports on Snow Leopard yet? Really?? ;) Well, there's some stuff here on macfixit.com: http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20090828091917560 ... But I guess only half of it is really Snow Leopard's fault, and even if those are SL bugs, they depend on varying input like almost-non-functioning-Leopard-installs... ;) Either way: I'll be back in the morning, I guess.

My apologies for punishing you all. . . .

--J.D.

P.S. Mine is still not shipped
brood.gif
but I think one of my favorite "hacks"--WindowShades X--may not work with it, and the developers do not exactly remain current.

Received and installed. Only glitch was the need to reinstall my printer software---everything else works so far. A check of get info before and after showed a gain of 14Gb in drive space. Ralph

Last edited:
From Soon-to-be-Inebriated fryke Linkypoo is the suggestion your check your list of Applications--from "About This Mac" to "System Profiler" to your Applications and check "Kind." Methinks installing Rosetta may help with some of the problems.

But how would I know . . . mine has not shipped yet. . . .

--J.D.

Bought my SL upgrade on the way home tonight. Installed on my MacBook as a trial. It seems OK so far. If it stays OK, I'll put it on my main machine.

Back