Official Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Thread & FAQ

Well, What part is failing? It always says what file couldnt be installed or found
Is this a brand new upgrade disc from apple?
Or is it a copied/pirated disc (which would explain everything)

Upgrading to Apple's Snow Leopard OS: What you need to know

With a spiffy new installer, the Mac OS X upgrade process is quicker and easier than ever

Ryan Faas

August 26, 2009 (Computerworld) In building Snow Leopard, the latest version of Mac OS X (version 10.6), Apple focused more on under-the-hood improvements to boost speed and stability than on adding new features. That contrasts with its predecessor, Leopard (Mac OS X 10.5), which added more than 300 new features when it was released two years ago.

In Snow Leopard, Apple focused on making the OS run faster using technologies like Grand Central Dispatch (which allows a Mac with a multi-core processor to more effectively distribute work among cores) and OpenCL (which allows a Mac's graphics processors to be used for general computing tasks whenever possible), and making all the core system applications and most core components 64-bit.

But before you can appreciate Snow Leopard's performance, user interface refinements, and technology tweaks, you have to get it installed. Here's what you need to know about the upgrade process -- which in itself illustrates both UI improvements and under-the-hood advances over past versions of Mac OS X.
Can you run Snow Leopard?

The most important question to answer before upgrading to Snow Leopard is whether your Mac can handle it. First, you'll need an Intel-based Mac. (Not sure what you have? Click the Apple menu and choose About This Mac. If your processor is a PowerPC, you're out of luck; if it's from Intel, you're good to go.)

Any Intel Mac will run Snow Leopard, provided it has at least 1GB of RAM (though 2GB or more will deliver better performance) and 5GB of hard drive space. You'll also need a DVD drive for installation. (MacBook Air owners can use a DVD drive in another computer, provided they turn on CD/DVD sharing.)

It's worth noting that not all Intel Macs can make use of 64-bit processing. That's because not all Intel Macs have 64-bit processors.

The first Intel Macs shipped with either an Intel Core Duo or Core Solo chip, both of them 32-bit processors. Apple switched to the Core 2 Duo processor, which is 64-bit, across most of its product lines pretty quickly. You can check your processor model using About This Mac.

upgrade_aboutmac_230.jpg

With an Intel Core 2 Duo processor and 2GB of RAM, this iMac -- still running Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger" -- can take advantage of Snow Leopard's 64-bit processing.

This doesn't mean that early Intel Macs won't see improvements with Snow Leopard -- they will -- but they may not see as big a performance boost as newer Macs.

Any Mac users still running Tiger (Mac OS X 10.4) can upgrade directly to Snow Leopard, skipping its predecessor, by purchasing Apple's Mac Box Set, which includes Snow Leopard and the latest versions of iLife and iWork for $169. This ensures that your Mac will be able to run all the Apple tools as well as Snow Leopard.

Important: Before you upgrade, back up

Before you even think about installing the new operating system, be sure to perform a full backup of your system.

With Snow Leopard, Apple has made the installation process cleaner and more reliable than ever; the installer can even finish an installation properly if your Mac is unexpectedly powered off during the process. Nevertheless, a good backup is always prudent. If you've been using Time Machine in Leopard, you've probably got one already.
In-place upgrade vs. clean install

With a major OS release, there's always the question of whether to perform a simple upgrade (where your files, applications, and system configuration files are left in place) or a clean install (where the target drive is backed up and erased before installation).

In the past, I, like many power users, advocated for a clean install -- it can help avoid conflicts between older applications and the new OS or any damaged configuration files. It can be a good troubleshooting step if you can't find the source of ongoing problems or if you have damaged system files. But the snazzy new installer for Snow Leopard (more on that in a minute) detects potential issues, making a simple in-place upgrade not only sufficient, but the better and easier way to go.

The main advantage to a clean install is from a personal housekeeping perspective. Since most computers over time collect files that are no longer needed -- anything from old to-do lists to applications you installed but never use -- a clean install forces you to take a look at what's on your computer and do some spring cleaning. Given that it means copying files, erasing the disk, restoring and organizing your files, and resetting all of your preferences and system settings, a full-fledged clean installation it isn't worth the hassle. Just find some time to go through your hard drive and clean it out.

If you do perform a clean install, you'll need to boot your computer using the Install DVD by restarting the computer while holding down the C key. Then use Disk Utility (located in the Utilities menu in the menu bar after you've booted from the Install DVD) to select your hard drive and erase it. Quit Disk Utility to return to the installer and proceed with your installation as outlined below. Be forewarned: Starting up from the installation disc and erasing your hard drive for a clean install will make the entire installation process take longer.

Longtime Mac users are probably familiar with the old "Erase and Install" (which erased the contents of the hard drive before installing the new OS) and "Archive and Install" (which retained a copy of all system files for later retrieval) options for installing Mac OS X. Although you can still erase your hard drive for a clean install using the steps outlined above, these two options are no longer part of the actual installation process.

Meet the Mac's new installer

When you put the Snow Leopard Install DVD in your Mac, the Finder window that opens looks pretty much like that of any Mac OS X installation disc (the obvious exception being the Snow Leopard icon).
Snow Leopard installer in Finder

upgrade_finder_420.jpg

Click on the Install Mac OS X icon to begin the Snow Leopard installation.

But the second you double-click the installer, you'll notice something's different. Instead of being asked to restart your Mac and boot from the Install disc, you'll see a screen with two options: Utilities and Continue. That's because you don't need to boot from the DVD to install Snow Leopard (though you can do so later down the road if your Mac has problems or if you want to erase your hard drive before selling your computer, for instance).

upgrade_install1_420.jpg

With Snow Leopard, you don't have to reboot your computer from the installation disc; just click Continue.

The reason your Mac doesn't need to boot from the Install DVD is because one of the first things the installer does is copy all the files you'll need for installation to your hard drive. This has a few important benefits. First, it saves you time because you don't have to wait for your Mac to boot from the DVD (which often takes a few minutes or longer), and the installation itself goes more quickly because the files are being installed from your hard drive.

It also means that when the Mac checks the integrity of the files to be installed (which used to mean verifying the integrity of the DVD, a process that took so long most people opted to cancel it), it does so after the files have been copied to your hard drive, speeding up the process but also making integrity checks a built-in part of the installation (since you can't skip them).

The Snow Leopard installer has a couple of other tricks up its sleeve. Before installation, it scans your Mac for any applications or other tools that extend Mac OS X (like third-party System Preferences panes or device drivers) that are known to cause problems with Snow Leopard. The installer doesn't delete them, but it does move them out of any system folders or directories to ensure a smooth installation.

The installer also has a safe redo feature. If something interrupts the process (say you unplug your iMac by mistake), that's not a problem for Snow Leopard. With the installation files actually on your Mac's hard drive and the fact that every part of the install is written to a log file, the installer can simply pick up where it left off when your Mac is restarted.

Now, back to that initial installation screen: The Utilities option lets you restart and boot the computer from the Install DVD (the same as if you held down the C key during a restart) in case you want to erase or repair your hard drive, or restore it from a Time Machine backup. If you're doing a simple upgrade to Snow Leopard, click the Continue button.

Streamlined installation

In addition to skipping the initial restart used in earlier installations, Apple has pared down the number of clicks it takes to install Snow Leopard. After you click Continue, the installer automatically selects your startup drive (the one that your Mac booted from). Many people only have one internal hard drive or partition, but if you have multiple drives or partitions, you can choose another drive; just click the Show All Disks button and make your selection.

upgrade_install2_420.jpg

The installer automatically chooses to install Snow Leopard on your startup drive. But you can click Show All Disks...

upgrade_install3_420.jpg

...to see this screen, which lets you choose which drive to install Snow Leopard on.

Unless you want to customize the installation (more on that in a moment), click the Install button now. You'll be asked to confirm that you want to proceed and asked to provide your admin username and password. After that, take a break; there's no more user interaction required. (The computer will restart itself during the installation process without any input from you.)

The whole installation process typically takes 30 to 40 minutes, although it varies depending on your hardware and your installation choices -- I've seen some installations finish in notably shorter and longer time spans.

When you come back, your Mac will be running Snow Leopard. When you first log in using the new OS, the Setup Assistant plays the standard Mac OS X welcome video. If you've done an upgrade rather than a clean install, there is nothing to set up and you can close the Setup Assistant window after the movie plays. If you did a clean install, you'll need to provide registration details, and then the Setup Assistant will guide you through the basic setup and configuration steps. You're on your way.

Customizing the installation

Of course, you can customize the installation if you want to. Before clicking the Install button, click the Customize button to see the screen shown farther down the page.

As with previous Mac OS X installers, you can opt out of language translation packs and additional fonts for languages that don't use the Roman alphabet (like Cyrillic, Chinese, or Arabic) to save a bit of hard-drive space.

You can also choose which printer drivers to install, though this really isn't needed: The installer automatically looks for printers connected to your Mac or on your local network and installs only the drivers for those printers, saving a lot of space in the process. If you later connect a different printer, Snow Leopard will automatically download the appropriate driver when it's connected without any action on your part -- the complete plug-and-play dream, finally realized.

If you want to run applications that use the Unix X11 interface, you can choose to install X11. It's selected by default; if you don't want, deselect it.

Another option is to install Rosetta, the software emulator that Apple created so Intel Macs could run software designed to run on PowerPC-based Macs. For most people, leaving Rosetta out (that's the default) should be fine. Apple began the transition to Intel processors more than three and half years ago, so unless you have an app that hasn't been updated since sometime in 2006 you really don't need Rosetta.

You also have the option of installing QuickTime 7. Snow Leopard features a new version of QuickTime (the system files and applications that support multimedia playback) called QuickTime X. QuickTime X offers much improved performance, a very clean, minimalist interface, and new video streaming capabilities. Some older media formats might still require the older version of QuickTime, which is why Apple offers it, but most people won't need it.

upgrade_install4_420.jpg

Snow Leopard's customized installation options.

Once you've made all your customization selections, click the Install button and proceed as outlined above.

After the installation

After finishing the installation, you're ready to start exploring Snow Leopard. A few of the things you'll notice immediately:

* Better overall performance, even in basic tasks like navigating the Finder, which has been rewritten
* An improved implementation of Stacks that allows you to browse hierarchies of folders from within a stack
* Preview icons in the Finder that actually do live previews, meaning you can click through pages of a document or play a video file in its icon
* QuickTime X's interface and ability to record and trim video using your iSight camera
* Smarter text selection and annotation features in Preview, Apple's tool for viewing and working with PDFs, which also now sports the ability to directly scan documents and create PDFs of them

Over the next few days, Computerworld will have more on Snow Leopard, including details about the differences between 64-bit and 32-bit computing and our performance tests comparing Leopard to Snow Leopard on various Mac models.

I read fryke's FAQ, but I still don't get how Quicktime works.

I have a Quicktime 7 Pro license, so I'll have to select "Install Quicktime 7" at installation.

Will this install QT 7 "instead" of Quicktime X? Or will I have both on my HD?

Fryke also wrote that there isn't a pro version anymore. Does this mean that all pro features have been unlocked in Quicktime X? Or does it only mean that it doesn't offer any pro features anymore?

You will have both. Quicktime X will be in your Applications folder, and Quicktime 7 will be in your Applications/Utilities folder.

Quicktime X removed the distinction between the regular Quicktime and the paid, "Pro" version. There's just Quicktime X now, no more paid version. Quicktime X has most of the features that Quicktime 7 "Pro" had -- video export, trim, cut, copy, paste, etc.

So it's a balance between the regular and the "Pro" version -- you can still export video, but you can't export multiple streams at the same time. There are other subtle differences, but basically, Apple has merged the regular and "Pro" features from Quicktime 7 in Quicktime X, so there is no more paid, "Pro" version.

That was my understanding. Should I ever get my disk--:) still has not sent it
brood.gif
--I will install QT 7 and see what the difference is. I can always "Uninstall" it.

However, I think he says that some files may only play on QT 7?
_shrug_by_bad_blood.gif

--J.D.

Small glitch identified after update (all options to default): other users (not the admin account) had their default input source changed to U.S.

I was surprised that I had to update my password at restart. But everything looks fine.

If you had QT7Pro, it'll get installed for you automatically. Only if you haven't installed it or are doing a clean install, you have to install it manually. You'll have both QT7 and QTX on your harddrive. What I'm saying is that Apple's stopped developping QT7Pro. In the future, there'll be QTX development only, QT7 stays at the current version/feature set. Currently, QTX does not have all the features QT7 Pro had, so there's still an option to have it around. I'd say 10.7 will get rid of QT7. But that's just an assumption.

I guess he either meant through amazon or via the Apple up-to-date program for when you've bought a Mac recently. He's bought an MBP 13", so I guess it's the latter.

About whether to upgrade at 10.6.0 or 10.6.5 (or something):

I have Adobe CS3 and CS4 running fine, Office 2008 running fine. I haven't encountered a real incompatibility yet other than iStat menus, which probably will be updated once it's actually released.

But I _have_ to say: If you're planning on installing in a production environment and rely on that machine, you'll probably want to listen to problems in the first week of its release at least. I can only voice my experience on three machines so far (two of which handle very basic tasks that don't offer much incompatibility-issues, my MacBook Air is for TextEdit, my Mac mini is for running VLC, iTunes and Quicktime), and the experience has been only _good_. I've had Flash Player Plugin crash in Safari one time (and one time only!) and it didn't bring Safari down. Just showed me a message about it that I could click away. (Obviously, the Flash content on the page I was on did get removed from the layout and I had to reload the page.)

In my opinion, there is exactly _one_ straight way of going to Snow Leopard from Leopard that is safe:

1.) Make sure you have an up-to-date Time Machine backup or clone (via CCC for example) of your 10.5.x installation.

2.) Disconnect the harddrive your backup is on.

3.) On the 10.5 desktop, pop in the 10.6 disk and start the installer. Choose upgrade if asked (it's the default, anyway) and customize it, so you can deselect stuff you don't really require. (And admire what they've done to the printer driver installation. It defaults to installing printers you've previously used and printers available on the network.)

4.) Start working on your upgraded Mac and look for _any_ problems. If problems crop up that seem like they stem from the upgrade process, you can now do a clean install and move stuff back from the backup later and safely, or you can try the upgrade process again by clean installing using your Time Machine or clone backup.

For me, it's been the cleanest upgrade I've ever seen on a Mac OS X release. In the past, there have been a lot more incompatibilities with smaller utilities and larger applications. Granted, Apple themselves call Snow Leopard "Leopard Refined.", so it might seem like a "smaller" upgrade of some kind, but actually, they're just saying it's not about large user-seeable features. Under the hood, Snow Leopard is as big an upgrade as any of the past.

Fryke, I'm a low-level Mac user, so please excuse what might be an obvious question for a more seasoned user, but, if I carry out the upgrade and find I have problems, can I not just restore my full system backup from my external Time Machine drive or do I have to do a clean install and then restore from my Time Machine backup?

I've only just set up Time Machine yesterday using a terabyte external drive, so not really sure how straightforward a restore is.

Thanks!

You _can_ try to restore from the Time Machine backup, but essentially, you're then trying to upgrade Leo to SnowLeo _again_, which at first try would have ended badly in your example. That's why I'd then move to clean installing (maybe after the second try...) and only bringing back what's really required from the backup.

In point 4 I said "or you can try the upgrade process again by clean installing using your Time Machine or clone backup.", that's exactly what you meant by restoring from Time Machine, right? Unless you mean actually going back to 10.5.x, which I wouldn't really recommend.

Fryke,

Thanks. Yeah, I mean if I upgrade and find that things aren't working out, can I just restore my system to pre-upgrade status (10.5) via the full Time Machine backup I have carried out just before trying the upgrade or would I have to carry out a clean install of 10.5 using my originally supplied disk from when I bought my Mac and then restore my most recent, pre-upgrade Time Machine backup.

It sounds like I would have to do just that, but I just wanted to clarify things. I like the way my system runs now (except that post a couple of recent system downloads it starts up much slower now). I'd hate to find that post upgrade apps stop working or other problems appear meaning I'd need to downgrade again, but it would suck more if I had to carry out a clean install of 10.5 and then restore from Time Machine.

I have ordered Snow Leopard, but it hasn't arrived yet. I like the idea of a new OS that makes the Mac leaner. I'm not sure I'll see a big difference in speed (not that I need one anyway), but I think Apple have been wise to bring this OS out (and have priced it reasonably).

Interesting that Windows 7 is simply a slimmed down, and hopefully improved, version of Vista.

I am going to install Snow Leopard without a doing clean install. I am interested to see how many of my current software programmes are compatible. I suspect I'll need to do a clean install at some stage though (maybe when 10.6.1 is released), unless I I have no choice but to do it sooner.

I am particularly interested to see whether Adobe Photoshop CS3 will work (see earlier postings).

I am now in the same boat. I just ordered Snow Leopard an probably install it on another drive in my Mac Pro (in my signature) using the Fresh install method and then using Migration Assistant.

I've ordered a MB Pro 13"; it will most probably have 10.5.7 or .8 when I get it. Which would be the better - upgrade or fresh install (i.e. before moving over my data and installing any apps.) to 10.6? I think upgrade will be fine since there wont be any broken apps. or plists to contend with...?

I will probably backup 10.5 to time machine, wipe drive then install afresh for 10.6 disk using the time machine backup as a source - much like satcomer but in one step not two.

Back