Repent for being a Mac user!!

I've purposefully not been getting involved in this conversation, but I just have to duck in here and ask - did anyone save the text of the original article that started this all off? the original link way back at the top of the thread is returning a 404 now and I want to show it to one of my colleagues...

When in doubt, recall words from the atricle (or copy/paste from a quotation in this thread), put it into google, and get their cached copy.

No images, but the words are all here.

Bernie :eek:)

Hey all, I just wanted to pop in and let people know that I haven't forgotten about this thread. I have enjoyed the thread in spite of my minority stance and would like to continue the debate, but things are busier than ever in these weeks. Packing boxes is more important to me now. ;) We're moving, and I am at the end of a school year as well.

Madhatter, thanks for joining in. Maybe we can talk about Christianity and evolution sometime too.

-Matt

Originally posted by bighairydog
When in doubt, recall words from the atricle (or copy/paste from a quotation in this thread), put it into google, and get their cached copy.

No images, but the words are all here.

cheers bernie. That's a really useful idea. I notice that they've moved the entire site. For continued amusement, point yer browsers here and check out the addendums. This is my favourite....

ADDENDUM V (4/29/2002): It appears we have entered a terrible new phase in the Evolutionism propaganda campaign that Apple Computers has been waging. Apple has just announced the "eMac", a Macintosh computer designed specifically to smuggle Darwinism into our schools! According to their propagandistic sloganeering, the "e" in "eMac" ostensibly stands for "education", although it should be obvious to readers by now that it's really a cryptic tipping of the hat to their true agenda: "Evolutionism". However, this isn't the only thing hiding behind this choice of moniker; according to my research, the name eMac is also a referrence to "Emacs", a program that is a standard-bearer for the Communistic Open Source movement mentioned above and whose mascot is some sort of effeminate-looking, horned devil-man. Is there no end to this tangled web of evil?

Just a few quick questions.
Originally posted by The Madhatter
No integral (whether surface, double, triple, definite, indefinite, regardless of coordinate system), sequence or series (convergent by any test, including Ratio, Alternating Series, Integral, Comparison, Limit Comparison), solid angle, inhomogenous linear differential equation, or anything else can explain something so simple as love (I assume many of us here like math, so I thought that sentence would be funny)
Does religion explain love? Why is it here, what is it, how does it work? Why do I fall in love with one person even if they are not a good match for me?

As has been noted previously, if this was just in jest don't worry about defending it.

well, mathematics as a discipline may not explain love, but the social science of psychology certainly has a lot to say about it. and in the process we use mathematics, in the form of statistics, to make sense of the information we gather about it. There is no shortage of informational books on love. and there is at least some evidence that what we refer to as love is nothing more than a physiological set of reactions to phermones or a conditioned set of habitual responses.

:)

OK, devils advocate here. I just thought of quite a good reason not to criticise those who believe in god.

Conciousness is an untestable hypothesis. I know I am concious, because conciousness is defined as an awareness of your own mental processes, and I have that. However, there is *absolutely* no way of discriminating between another individual who is concious, and one who is merely very good at giving that apperence.

Even so, we don't say that as it is untestible, it doesn't exist, because we feel it ourselves. we know it exists.

<critical point>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;It is the feeling that we are concious that is the evidence.
</critical point>

God is a similarily untestable hypothesis. There is nothing in this lifetime that can proove the existance of a God, and vice versa. Powerful though Occam's Razor is, it is not infalliable.

The thing that causes people to believe that god exists is a feeling that they have, which I imagine must be a bit like my feeling that I am concious.

Arguing to a beleiver that there is no god, is like arguing to me that I am not concious. Moreover, as non believers are not experiencing the feeling that God exists, they do not know how strong the 'evidence' is.

OK Matt & Co, How'd I do?

BTW, have you seen the source for the objective ministries site?
Code:
<META name="generator" content="Our Lord Jesus Christ, Who hath generated all">
LOL!

Okay, I believe I'm the Math=Jesus guy. :p

So. Here's what I think. I think that everything has a basis in math - that if you go down to the lowest level, the most basic concepts on which this universe operates, you'll find that the rules that hold constant all the way down are the rules of mathematics.

But it's not simple. Not at all. While I do think that you could explain love with math - I think you could explain everything with math - it would be like creating an artificial intelligence with nothing but 1's and 0's. As in computer science, you build up levels and levels of abstraction to make things easier to work with, so with math we have things like physics and chemistry to take math concepts and apply them to what we see. It's not a perfect metaphor, but it'll do. :p

But where can you find absolute truth? Are there any other places you can find things that you just know to be true, with every fiber of your being? Even things like "thou shalt not kill" can get cloudy under complicated circumstances. But what about 1+1=2? We don't really even know how to define numbers, and yet this is a truth that seems evident to everyone. The way I see it is, people are trying to explain things using the laws of physics, but even the laws of physics bow to the laws of mathematics.

This is not a belief system that's very applicable to everyday life, but it just feels like a solid foundation to me, and I think that's what faith is about. So I have faith in the things that feel to me like they're absolutely incontrovertible, no matter what happens, no matter what changes.

I can get by fine in everyday life with a belief system completely separated from what I think about math, but math is what underlies it all, and it's a comforting thought to think that there is this beautiful order to the universe. It's probably similar to being comforted by the thought that there's a benevolent God watching out for you.

-the valrus

I wasn't planning on jumping in yet…

but I've got a sermon to preach!!!
:D :D :D Just kiddin' ;)

Has anybody seen Contact with Jodie Foster? I actually disliked the movie very much, but it was interesting nonetheless. The whole premise of the movie was based on the idea of finding the "universal language", or mathematics. Well, crazy Jodie Foster found it in the form of a blue print for a kind of wormhole-time-warp-machine-thingy.

I forget the end, which might have been important, but it was interesting to ponder the universality of math.

NOTE: There contains spoilers to the book Contact AND the movie contact below. So don't read if you don't want to know.

Ah, yes. Contact. Great book – the movie was OK, but it kind of deviated.

They didn't show this in the movie, but in the book, it was only the character of Jodie Foster who went through the ball thingy that took them to the other world. So there was a "trial" of some sort, and she needed some sort of evidence that what she went through on the alien place was true.

Of course in the movie, the evidence was that while on Earth it looked like she had only been gone 20 minutes, the video recorder or whatever recorded 18 hours of static. Not all too interesting except for the time thing.

In the book, it was much better. Jodie was told in the alien environment that there was something hidden in the number pi. When she was back on Earth, she used all sorts of algorithms on the number. The same algorithm that was used to decode the message from the aliens helped her decode the message in pi: the picture created from the number was a perfect circle.

Interesting, if you think about it.

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading the responses to my post, and am extremely impressed with the civility of this thread. I did intend the math comment as a joke, but love the responses it got.

There are just a few points I would like to bring up. I am not sure whether or not this has been discussed, but I got the feeling from previous posts that people have been convinced there is overwhelming, solid evidence to support evolution as a fact . Now, granted, I am not exactly sure what I believe happened, other than that God set the world into motion by some method, but from what I have researched, there seems to be evidence both in support of traditional creationism and evolution. Assuming this is true, how can one be absolutely sure of either? The scientific method consists of observance, which was impossible for any human at the beginning of time. So any hypothesis proposed is just that, an educated guess. Evolution has never been proved, neither has creation, so I think we should stop referring to our beliefs as having been proved beyond any reasonable doubt. Regardless, believing in one God or being a Christian makes no requirement as to beliefs of the origin of the universe.

Something I have always held against the theory of evolution (without divine interevention) is this: We (humans) have never witnessed the creation of something out of absolutely nothing. I find it hard to swallow that chance (absolute randomness) brought about a universe so ordered as this one. In previous posts, many were ranting about the beauty of mathematics, and I too think it is equally wonderful. But knowing the power and universality of math, I don't see how chance could create such a wonderful thing. It seems to me that this whole concept completely violates Newton's (First, I think) Law which says that everything tends toward a state of greater disorder. In chemistry, it is taught that without work being put into a system, the system will tend towards randomness. How could an ultimately disordered universe have turned out so perfectly without guidance, some kind of intervention? As I previously stated, evolution may very well have happened, but without a God to direct it, it seems completely infeasible. I would love to hear your comments.

My opinion, about humans, is that we have a soul, something extra, that no other animal does. If one day scientists could put together an exact replica of a living human, with every atom in place, there would be something missing. In other words, if I put together a model in my backyard, made of mostly carbon, oxygen, hydrogen, in exactly the same composition as a normal homo sapien, the "thing" would not be a person, a living, breathing being. There would be something, lets call it the breath of life, that would be nonexistent. It would have no soul, no life. I will not argue that we are in many, many ways like animals (even down to the molecular level), but there is something intangible that we have that no other being does. And what we have was put into us by a divine being

Christianity, I believe, is a thinking man's religion. Now let me be clear it is not the religion we believe in, or that a simple belief in one God is the same thing as Christianity. The main tenant of our faith is that there was a man (Jesus) who was the Son of God, and that man by nature is sinful (because he chose to be so), and only a perfect sacrifice could save us (another topic completely). Reason, I think, warrants faith. It is by reasoning and experience that I believe in one God and His Son. Often times Christians are construed as being blind, ignorant, and stupid, but what I propose is the opposite. Faith is a product of reason. I will expound another time.

I don't agree with one who says that religion, or faith in general, is just a way of explaining the unexplainable, which is exactly what I was taught in Anthropology. Isn't that exactly what science, math, and all other objective studies aim to do? But the difference is this: An atheists faith is grounded in things he can see and touch, while our (a Christians) faith is based on something greater than ourselves, something beyond what we see and touch. We can easily believe in what we understand, but that doesn't make it necessarily true, just easier to swallow. But the great thing is is that our faith is rewarded, because we can have an real experience, perhaps not physical (although it may be), with the God in which we believe. It is a personal and universal thing all in one. Reason and thinking are very much an integral part of faith, that is what I am trying to say, and I hope it is clear.

Lastly, I was talking to an athiest down the hall, who believes that man is good, and that improving humanity is the ultimate goal of man. He did admit, one time, something that gave me great encouragement. He said, "I will tell you though, Micah, that either I am right (there is no god), or one single religion, belief system is the answer, but not all of them", and he was banking on the first. Out of curiousity, how many of you would agree?

Oh, there is so much more to say, but this post is certainly long enough, for which I sincerely apologize, but I had to get everything out or else I would forget it. My purpose is to try to help you understand what I believe, never to offend, be pushy, or make anyone angry. I had a kernel panic earlier, so I had better post this.

Happy Mother's Day! (especially if you are my momma)

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading the responses to my post, and am extremely impressed with the civility of this thread.
That's the plus of discussing religion in a computer forum as opposed to a religion forum of any sort ;o)
I got the feeling from previous posts that people have been convinced there is overwhelming, solid evidence to support evolution as a fact ... there seems to be evidence both in support of traditional creationism and evolution. Assuming this is true, how can one be absolutely sure of either?
I as a student of evolution (among other things) would very much like to separate evolution (new kinds of life arising from old) from the bunch of crackpot theories describing how life could have come about from none, that call themselves ‘evolution’ in order to parasitize the success of evolutionary theory. Such theories are on an equal footing with creation and inoculation by curious aliens, i.e. there is no hard evidence in either direction.

Evolution of new life forms from old has been proven, as long as you accept that in experiments in which we see it happening, the observations are not really just God intervening to give the appearance that evolution is occurring.

My opinion, about humans, is that we have a soul, something extra, that no other animal does. If one day scientists could put together an exact replica of a living human, with every atom in place, there would be something missing. In other words, if I put together a model in my backyard, made of mostly carbon, oxygen, hydrogen, in exactly the same composition as a normal homo sapien, the "thing" would not be a person, a living, breathing being. There would be something, lets call it the breath of life, that would be nonexistent. It would have no soul, no life.
Aah, now this is a really sticky philosophical question, with no answer. Think about these three problems. Firstly, if animals have no soul, does that mean they are not conscious? If they so, is it OK to cause them pain, because if they are not conscious, then they do not feel, they merely give that appearance. If it is possible to be conscious but have no soul, then how can we tell for sure that we have a soul?

Secondly, Imagine an atom-level cloning device. You stand in a booth, and it creates a duplicate of you, down to the last atom, with every speed and trajectory and charge and pressure of every part of you maintained. What do you think this would result in? Assuming that we have a soul but animals don’t, then this thing would survive as well as an animal does, and behave as a human does, but does not have this arbitrary construct that is the soul. Now somebody tortures it, and it begs for mercy. Is this wrong? If it has no soul, then surely torturing it is merely causing it to go through various motions, much as pressing a button on my computer causes it to play a movie.

Thirdly, and most critically, when does this soul start to exist in humans? We have a very detailed understanding of the process of fertilising and embryo development, at what point is a new soul created? What about identical twins, where a developing embryo splits into two balls. There is a certain probability that this will happen to any embryo – do identical twins have 1/2 as much soul as other humans?

Christianity, I believe, is a thinking man's religion.
<voice = 'austere'>Damn right, don’t want those darkies being compared to us on an intellectual level.</voice>

Excuse me, but what a load of crap. Firstly, which of the several hundred mutually exclusive denominations of Christianity is the thinking one, or are they all? Secondly, how is Christianity better than any other religion worshiping the Judeo-Christian-Islamic God? The Jews say they are right because Jesus wasn’t the Son of God sent to direct mankind, and the Christians say that they're right because he was. That seems to me to be the fundamental split between the two religions which worship the same God, and as you quite rightly pointed out (when referring to the first life), if there are no witnesses to events, so how can we know? How is taking one side being a "thinking man", and do you think you would still be on the side you are on if you had been raised in a Jewish family? If you were a Jew because you had been raised that way, would you be less of a thinker?
The main tenant of our faith is that there was a man (Jesus) who was the Son of God, and that man by nature is sinful (because he chose to be so), and only a perfect sacrifice could save us (another topic completely). Reason, I think, warrants faith. It is by reasoning and experience that I believe in one God and His Son. Often times Christians are construed as being blind, ignorant, and stupid, but what I propose is the opposite. Faith is a product of reason. I will expound another time.
I would love you to. If you succeed in providing a logical reason for believing in Christianity (not merely God, but specifically Christianity), then I will salute you as a man who has managed to do what I tried to do, but could not. In fact, if you only reply to one bit of this post, let it be this one. I would very much like you to dedicate a post to the logical train of thought that led you to this conclusion.
[the atheist] said, "I will tell you though, Micah, that either I am right (there is no god), or one single religion, belief system is the answer, but not all of them", and he was banking on the first. Out of curiousity, how many of you would agree?
I agree. If atheists are wrong, then there must be a correct belief system, but that does not go to say that any people alive have that system.

I thought I'd post a bit in response to The Madhatter, having read Bernie's post.

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading the responses to my post, and am extremely impressed with the civility of this thread. I did intend the math comment as a joke, but love the responses it got.

There are just a few points I would like to bring up. I am not sure whether or not this has been discussed, but I got the feeling from previous posts that people have been convinced there is overwhelming, solid evidence to support evolution as a fact . Now, granted, I am not exactly sure what I believe happened, other than that God set the world into motion by some method, but from what I have researched, there seems to be evidence both in support of traditional creationism and evolution. Assuming this is true, how can one be absolutely sure of either? The scientific method consists of observance, which was impossible for any human at the beginning of time. So any hypothesis proposed is just that, an educated guess. Evolution has never been proved, neither has creation, so I think we should stop referring to our beliefs as having been proved beyond any reasonable doubt. Regardless, believing in one God or being a Christian makes no requirement as to beliefs of the origin of the universe.

The "fact" that 1+1=2 has never been proven. The "facts" about geologic activity on this Earth have never been proven – like the fact that there was an original supercontinent. I could go on.

I'm not trying to be a smart aleck here, but I'm trying to illustrate a point. Many things we will probably never be able to prove unless we have a time machine. We can gather data in the present and extrapolate the most reasonable explanation of what happened in the past, but we will never "prove" it. Evolution is a "theory", not a "fact", but I believe it's probably the most reliable, most reasonable, and most probable explanation of how human beings came to be. I, at this point, can't conceive of any other more reasonable way of explaining our existence from a scientific point of view. This is how science works – we create the most compelling explanation for something based upon the data that we have gathered in the present. Then when we find something that goes contrary to our theories, we modify them slightly to accommodate, or we completely trash the old theory and come up with a new one that makes more sense. It's what science is all about – I know we're probably going to know for a fact only one billionth of the things out there, and even that is a major exaggeration.

Something I have always held against the theory of evolution (without divine interevention) is this: We (humans) have never witnessed the creation of something out of absolutely nothing. I find it hard to swallow that chance (absolute randomness) brought about a universe so ordered as this one. In previous posts, many were ranting about the beauty of mathematics, and I too think it is equally wonderful. But knowing the power and universality of math, I don't see how chance could create such a wonderful thing. It seems to me that this whole concept completely violates Newton's (First, I think) Law which says that everything tends toward a state of greater disorder. In chemistry, it is taught that without work being put into a system, the system will tend towards randomness. How could an ultimately disordered universe have turned out so perfectly without guidance, some kind of intervention? As I previously stated, evolution may very well have happened, but without a God to direct it, it seems completely infeasible. I would love to hear your comments.

Of course, the seeming completely infeasible is an opinion. I, for one, think that it possibly could have happened. But I would like to point one thing out – how can you say that the creation of life violates Newton's Law which says that everything tends toward a state of greater disorder? In my opinion, the universe before the big bang would be perfectly orderly (whatever it was, and assuming that the big bang theory is correct). Then everything exploded and you get planets and supernovas and all sorts of star clusters, and you get Earth. Earth is geologically active, but nothing too interesting except for geologic formations. Then somehow, "life" comes to be. It branches into different forms and different species and different genuses ad infinitum. Then, somehow, human beings come to be, and they have the ability to create tools, and create novel ways of doing things, advancing technology little by little, until things like the steam engine, railroads, the printing press, computers, etc. were created.

Is this really MORE orderly than before? I should think not. If anything, this is obeying Newton's Law, if it is even applicable in this case. The randomness that created the first form of life is just increasing the entropy on Earth, as I see it. So I think it's entirely possible, on this point. Furthermore, there is evidence that organic substances like amino acids could be created from pools of liquid with electricity applied to it (this is a very oversimplified statement of the experiment). Even though we don't have evidence of LIFE arising from inert materials, I think the fact that amino acids came to be is pretty significant.

My opinion, about humans, is that we have a soul, something extra, that no other animal does. If one day scientists could put together an exact replica of a living human, with every atom in place, there would be something missing. In other words, if I put together a model in my backyard, made of mostly carbon, oxygen, hydrogen, in exactly the same composition as a normal homo sapien, the "thing" would not be a person, a living, breathing being. There would be something, lets call it the breath of life, that would be nonexistent. It would have no soul, no life. I will not argue that we are in many, many ways like animals (even down to the molecular level), but there is something intangible that we have that no other being does. And what we have was put into us by a divine being

I would tend to disagree. I think that our "soul" is simply consciousness, that has somehow evolved into ourselves. I think that if you cloned me, my clone would be conscious, and would be able to exhibit the exact same feelings as me. He would be capable of sadness, of happiness, of love, of anger, and of all the other emotions. To me, this is all that is needed for a person to have a "soul", but I only think the consciousness that we have separates us from animals. I think that it's possible that some animals could have a limited consciousness, even if it's simply in the form of self-awareness.

Personally, I think it's kind of arrogant to think that we are above animals and plants in some way. I prefer to think of it as something that's evolved in us, and that could easily evolve in some other form of life if it ever happened.

Christianity, I believe, is a thinking man's religion.

I believe that Bernie handled this quote well.

Now let me be clear it is not the religion we believe in, or that a simple belief in one God is the same thing as Christianity. The main tenant of our faith is that there was a man (Jesus) who was the Son of God, and that man by nature is sinful (because he chose to be so), and only a perfect sacrifice could save us (another topic completely). Reason, I think, warrants faith. It is by reasoning and experience that I believe in one God and His Son. Often times Christians are construed as being blind, ignorant, and stupid, but what I propose is the opposite. Faith is a product of reason. I will expound another time.

I agree that faith is a product of reason. But in my case it manifests itself as a faith in science and as a faith in observation and the tangible. I would go so far as to say that science is a religion of sorts, although I know there are probably many, like Ed, who would disagree.

What I don't understand is how you can put faith in something that leaves no trace of itself, and has no evidence of existing besides the feeling inside a person. For me, anyway, I need to have some evidence or something tangible that could point to the existence of something, before I believe in it. That's why it's so hard for me to believe that there is a God out there. There may very well be, but I just haven't seen any true of evidence of there. As always, though, science can neither prove nor disprove, so I can't say that because of the lack of evidence, there is no God. I usually regard myself as an atheist, because I don't believe in God. In truth, though, I probably would more closely be an agnostic.

I don't agree with one who says that religion, or faith in general, is just a way of explaining the unexplainable, which is exactly what I was taught in Anthropology. Isn't that exactly what science, math, and all other objective studies aim to do? But the difference is this: An atheists faith is grounded in things he can see and touch, while our (a Christians) faith is based on something greater than ourselves, something beyond what we see and touch. We can easily believe in what we understand, but that doesn't make it necessarily true, just easier to swallow. But the great thing is is that our faith is rewarded, because we can have an real experience, perhaps not physical (although it may be), with the God in which we believe. It is a personal and universal thing all in one. Reason and thinking are very much an integral part of faith, that is what I am trying to say, and I hope it is clear.

Reason and thinking ARE very much an integral part of faith, which is why I put MY faith in science.

Ack! That's probably the first time my post was over 10000 characters long, necessitating me to post a double-reply. Anyway, here's the rest of what I was going to say.

Lastly, I was talking to an athiest down the hall, who believes that man is good, and that improving humanity is the ultimate goal of man. He did admit, one time, something that gave me great encouragement. He said, "I will tell you though, Micah, that either I am right (there is no god), or one single religion, belief system is the answer, but not all of them", and he was banking on the first. Out of curiousity, how many of you would agree?

Personally, I think that's a stupid statement. Faith is from inside a person. I can believe in science even while someone believes in christianity, and someone else can believe in buddhism at the exact same time. Why should there be a correct faith? If a person believes strongly enough in something, then it's right for that person! That's not to say it's a UNIVERSAL faith, but it is a legitimate faith for that person, and it's very arrogant to say otherwise.

Oh, there is so much more to say, but this post is certainly long enough, for which I sincerely apologize, but I had to get everything out or else I would forget it. My purpose is to try to help you understand what I believe, never to offend, be pushy, or make anyone angry. I had a kernel panic earlier, so I had better post this.

We all our expressing our feelings. As long as everybody watches their language as they have been doing, I see no reason for anyone to get offended. I certainly wasn't offended by your post, and I hope you won't be by mine.

Been thinking about whether a religion would be bad just because it is wrong. Should it be? Where is it written that logic is the all-consuming goal of the universe? Can something be factually wrong, yet still the best belief?

Consider the proposition that people should believe what makes them happiest. I might be happier if I was absolutely convinced that I was going to have an afterlife in heaven. I can't believe in heaven, because I am afflicted with a desire to discover the truth, and this has lead me to reject all current religions.

Could it be said that science and logic have created in me the negative effect that I often accuse religions of creating - being less happy?

Just a thought. In actual fact, I doubt that I would be happier on average if I was a devout christian, but it certainly would have helped in some situations.

Ok for all your religeous thoughts. Today I was at Scherpenheuvel who is a place like Lourdes in Flanders.
I have found those specifications from a serversite. The price of the hardware was indicated 0 and there were no pictures available, also it means that the new server may come without CD, HD and with not much memory if you want to have a cheap one.

I'm never sure if Herve's comments are beautifully phrased metaphores, too intricate for me to comprehend their enlightening meaning, or if he's posted in the wrong thread.

Either way, thenks for that Herve ;o)

To keep this post short, I'm only quoting enough to lead the reader back to Madhatters original statements.

There are just a few points I would like to bring up. I am not sure whether or not this has been discussed, but I got the feeling from previous posts that people have been convinced there is overwhelming, solid evidence to support evolution as a fact ...

Other than maybe the 1+1=2 part, I think Simone covered all the points I would have made here.

Something I have always held against the theory of evolution (without divine interevention) is this: ...

I have always felt that we live in a causal universe. Cause and effect can be used to lead us to almost any information we need. As such, our universe being touched by God would be an effect without cause (because God would be outside of our existence). I have seen no evidence of such an event, and the closest thing I know of (the big bang) we can not get close enough to make a judgment on at this time anyway (though the Pope has said the existence before the big bang is the realm of God, I'm still wanting for more to work with).

As for the universe and entropy, the current understanding is that the universe is cooling, the energy needed for expansion is limited, and that the matter which we are made of is the result of such energy loss. We still get additional energy from other sources in the form of radiation and gravitation, which is all we need here on our planet to continue on for now. Only a small (by the standards of the universe) amount of energy is needed for our world to work.

As for guidance, we have found that math explains much of the randomness which you seem to see as divine in nature. Chaos theory covers most of the mathematics needed for generating complexity from rather simple origins (I leave it to the reader to find out more on that point, as I recall there are some nice general information books on the subject). So, for me, God would not have needed to have a hand in evolution. I would also go as far as to ask why It would lower Itself to this task when the nature of the universe (It's creation) covers this process so nicely.

My opinion, about humans, is that we have a soul, something extra, that no other animal does.

As stated, this is your opinion, so I have no problem with that.

Christianity, I believe, is a thinking man's religion...

Faith is a gift at best, but it is anything but a product of reason. I can not reason myself into believing something that runs contrary to everything I know. I would point out that by definition Faith requires acceptance of things that are beyond reason and that are beyond man's experiences. As has been pointed out, you really don't have a case for saying that Christianity is any better or worse than any other belief that requires Faith, all of which seem completely unreasonable to me.

I don't agree with one who says that religion, or faith in general, is just a way of explaining the unexplainable...

and (because it is important)

...Isn't that exactly what science, math, and all other objective studies aim to do? But the difference is this: An atheists faith is grounded in things he can see and touch, while our (a Christians) faith is based on something greater than ourselves, something beyond what we see and touch...

This is not true for me (an atheist), my beliefs extend beyond what we as humans can experience. In my area of study (differential topology) I work with manifolds (both immersions and embeddings) of higher dimensions into spaces that are either euclidean or non-euclidean in nature. These things (though abstractions) are real to me, though those without the ability to work with such math would have to take the application of this to nature with faith. All of this is beyond what we can see and touch, it is just not beyond the ability of us to reason and think (two qualities which apply here, but actually don't apply to religious Faith, I would point out).

Lastly, I was talking to an atheist down the hall...

I strongly disagree with that. I am looking for answers, not banking on any given belief system. It is important to understand that not all atheist believe the same things (or for the same reasons), our only real commonality is not believing in a deity. Beyond that, there is no organized belief structure for atheist. Maybe you made a convert that day, maybe he didn’t believe for some personal reasons, but he is not reflective of anyone else but himself.

And then there is Bernie's point. I agree that religions may actually be a good thing. I agree even more strongly in the light of Matt's revelation that he would not be inclined to follow morals and ethics unless there was a deity dictating them to him. Lets hope that strong moral and ethical beliefs go hand in hand with those who seek the true (even though it is known that the answers are mostly not coming in our lifetime). I personally believe that living without the God safety net requires a strength of character that I have not seen in many Christians (and others who follow other religious beliefs), and I would not want those people not believing. They truly are not ready, and that is just fine with me.

Just a quick clarification, I'll come back later and see what's going on.

"Christianity is a thinking man's religion"...

I am sorry I caused a misunderstanding. I didn't mean that smart, thinking people choose Christianity, or that other religions aren't for thinking people, only that being a Christian and adhering to our beliefs does take much thought. I said this in contrast to what I so often hear, that Christianity consists of blind faith, and that is what I wanted to point out, that it certainly is not to be taken ignorantly.

Back