Safari with Tabs (v62 - v71)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to say that I've always been "anti-tabs" but lately I was hoping that Apple would include them in the browser -- just so people would stop asking for it... :) It's driving me crazy !! :)

I think I'm going to expand my list of suggested changes to Mac OS X (see my signature) to include applications included therein, including Safari. Check it out and give your feedback.

I think any browser that uses tabs should have an option to automatically open any window in a new tab, rather than just certain windows. I like tabs and I would like to be able to surf without multiple windows opening up all the time, when only certain windows open in tabs.

Originally posted by mr. K
haha anyone else get the default stylesheet (in preferences - appearance) to make all plain text green?
Some of my text shows up in primary green (I'm assuming text on pages where the designer didn't specify a text colour), and it's really irritating. I had a look at the style sheet that is listed in the preferences and couldn't find anything in there that seemed to control this. I'd love to correct it, if anyone has any suggestions. Thanks.

I completely agree with the reasons David Hyatt puts forward for the order in which (and placement of) tabs open. I think it makes perfect sense. That said, I wish that I could drag a tab to reorder them. For instance I now have tabs at the opposite end of the bar that are related. They are widely separated because I opened them at different times, but they both go to the same site (different pages) and I'd like to be able to put them togather. That's my opinion, at any rate. What do others think?

Originally posted by gwynarion
Some of my text shows up in primary green (I'm assuming text on pages where the designer didn't specify a text colour), and it's really irritating. I had a look at the style sheet that is listed in the preferences and couldn't find anything in there that seemed to control this. I'd love to correct it, if anyone has any suggestions. Thanks.
In the stylesheet, look for the tag "body {...}" or enter it yourself, and between the brackets enter "color: black;". You should have a tag saying
Code:
"body {...
color: black;
...}"
The body tag should be one word, not "body.anything" or "body#otherstuff". Make sure the attribute before "color" has a semicolon and that it itself has a semicolon too.

okay, I will be the first to admit it, I take back everything bad I ever said about tabbed browsing. I'm happy to have it as a feature. I don't know if I will 100% convert, but for development, it's nice to have both my test page and final published page in the same window. It makes it very easy to toggle between the two, to witness minute changes in alignment, etc.

I can't say I'm very happy about the lost vertical space, but that can easily be gained back by learning the quick-keys, "command+b", which will toggle the bookmark row. By doing this it just about makes up for the space the tabs require.

And minimizing the address bar (command+|) works out well, if you can train yourself to type "command+L" before you type your address. Or "command+T" then "command+L".

Below is a screen shot to a very minimized browser window, which is great for my laptop.

Attachments

• screenshot.jpg
    screenshot.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 60
the problem for me is that the total window vertical size doesn't stay. so basically, you don't win anything when minimizing the location and bookmark bar as you do in IE or OmniWeb... Cmd-L should, for example, only create an overlay, it should shrink the content window by the amount the location bar needs - and only for the short moment you actually need it...

Originally posted by ~~NeYo~~
<< NeYo Passes email >>
Is that painful? Do you have to eat a lot of fiber to do that? :)

Is v66 going to actually include tabs?

Hmm... That'd be Thursday, Cupertino time. And not the early morning hours, either, I guess. :)

Cmon? You want to know the hour now as well? :p
Isn't "tomorrow" enough if it's finally the official release? :)

For an American? You think we United States citizens don't have a sense of humor?

I guess he mixed up 'humour' with 'irony'. iirc, the Americans are lacking a sense for irony, not a sense of humour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back