Test your real-world machine speed...

typical 579 MIPS fast 2.1 BIPS

stock iMac G4 800MHz (you know 256MB, SuperDrive, etc) running 10.1.5, Finder and OmniWeb

Originally posted by Total Konfuzion
dude, i noticed that....wierd...It's beating some of the desktop g4's =/ that just puzzles me

Noob to Noob... did you use a speed hack? ha ha ha... just kidding...

They used to be able to bump up the 600 to 700 (or was it 500 to 600) with the iBook. LOL.

Originally posted by Ricky
First, get SpeedX from versiontracker. I have provided a link... The download is small.

http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=12561&db=mac

Next, run the app with light processor load or no processor load apps in OS X, and with 10 billion instructions. The Finder can be the only app that's running, if you wish... When I did my tests I was running Fire and the Finder, and of course, SpeedX. My results...

Typical instructions: 331.9 MIPS
Fast Integer instructions: 700.9 MIPS

iMac DV G3 400 MHz

Run all the tests you can and post your results. :) Make sure to post your machine if it's not in your sig. Have fun, all!

Just wondering. Is there a PC version of this benchmarking program? Where can I go to see how a Apple benchmarks against a comparable PC? I'm thinking of buying a Mac, but want a little more data first. Thanks. :)

Typical - 1.7 BIPS
Fast - 4.7 BIPS

Specs below. Typical run wiht Finder, SpeedX and Chimera open. Fast run with Finder and SpeedX open.

Originally posted by plastic
10 billion instructions

Typical: 1.9 MIPS
Fast-Int: 5.1 BIP

This is the result from the Dual 1GB QSilver, not the newer DDR Ram model. It is running with 1.5GB Crucial ECC RAM. Vroom vroom!

I only have 512MB of ram in the same machine, looks like a full set of ram will boost me up a bit. Cool :)

Originally posted by malexgreen

Just wondering. Is there a PC version of this benchmarking program? Where can I go to see how a Apple benchmarks against a comparable PC? I'm thinking of buying a Mac, but want a little more data first. Thanks. :)

Err.... I dun think it is speed that you are after in a Mac. It is the stability and ease of use. :)

Originally posted by swizcore

I only have 512MB of ram in the same machine, looks like a full set of ram will boost me up a bit. Cool :)

It might be RAM quality. "Crucial" by Micron is one of the top quality 1st party RAM. They are way better than the common RAM that you buy off the shelves. Their responce time is faster. Hope I am making sense here. :D

Originally posted by plastic

Err.... I dun think it is speed that you are after in a Mac. It is the stability and ease of use. :)

Well the Apple web page says that the top-of-the-line PowerMac and Powerbook outperform comparable Pentium4 machines on Adobe by 33-60%. So I'm wondering if there are any other benchmarks that are run?

Well the Apple web page says that the top-of-the-line PowerMac and Powerbook outperform comparable Pentium4 machines on Adobe by 33-60%. So I'm wondering if there are any other benchmarks that are run?

These figures are not taken from benchmarks but real world design situations. I can attest that my 800MHZ G4 iMac (now sold) would easily beat out my girlfriends 1.2ghz in graphics. Actually it was faster at everything. I really don't see the argument PC users like to make regarding speed over Mac. I am dumbfounded that anyone would CHOOOSE a PC over a Mac. But I deal solely with web design, digital video and page layout so I cant speak for those with other interests. Using PC's reminds me of the movie Pleasantville-The PC is the B&W world while the Mac is the freedom of full color.

Try http://www.barefeats.com

They have some Photoshop benchmarks compared with Pentium 4 machines. Only for the last edition with SDRAM though.
But as the DDR Macs aren't any faster, it seems that Barefeats comes to a totally different conclusion than Apple.
I really want to know what filters Apple runs for their Photoshop benchmarks.

Back