Test your real-world machine speed...

Note: running under Mac OS 9.2

Typical: 641.7
Fast Integer: 1.4 BIPS (hehe, bips!)

iMac, G3, 700Mhz, 256mb RAM.

Should it be faster or slower on os x?

s en n e.

ps: i'll do the test again when i switch to 10.2 (10.1 has crashed, it's gone :(........ )

Originally posted by DualG4X
Does anyone konw of any apps that benchmark the video card ?

It depends on what feature of the graphics board you want to benchmark. For simple, 2D, non open-gl performance, use the skidmarks which come with the Apple Developer Toolkit.

If you want to benchmark pixel, texel, polygon and shader fillrates, download the trail of Cinema4D and the benchmark for it. This benchmark is based on Cinema4D, but Cinema4D has maybe the fastest rendering engine in the scene, so the results are comparable.
(if only Maxon would give me propper 2D motionblur so I could render my Maya scenes in Cinema4D .Net)

Lets change the test a bit.

Post your top speed in FLOPS, this is apples speed test (the unit of measure i mean). This test uses Altivec on G4s so we will see some improvements on the G4 speed front (my iMac 400 DV has beaten the G4 400 just above this post).

For those of you who dont know what a flop is:
"a gigaflop is a billion floating-point operations per second (FLOPS)"

My FLOP rating is

241.7 MegaFlops
iMac 400 DV

to download the test program:
http://www.daugerresearch.com/fractaldemos/AltiVecFractalCarbon.hqx
its not big (under 80kb)

go here for the developers:
http://www.daugerresearch.com/fractaldemos/altivecfractalcarbon.html

Originally posted by profx
Lets change the test a bit.

Post your top speed in FLOPS, this is apples speed test (the unit of measure i mean). This test uses Altivec on G4s so we will see some improvements on the G4 speed front (my iMac 400 DV has beaten the G4 400 just above this post).

For those of you who dont know what a flop is:
"a gigaflop is a billion floating-point operations per second (FLOPS)"

My FLOP rating is

241.7 MegaFlops
iMac 400 DV

Alrighty.....let's try that! *l*

(Not changing any of the settings, running only finder and Dave sharing in the background)

My FLOP rating:
Time: 4.0 seconds
3310.4 MegaFlops

Running on a G4 933 (QS), 1024ram, geForce4mx 64mb, OS X 10.1.5

My reading might be a bit higher, but I have network time ON, and it's connected to my dsl isp through my router (active)....

:D

My reading might be a bit higher, but I have network time ON, and it's connected to my dsl isp through my router (active)....

me too. so that would explain why my imac 400 Dv is a tad slower than everybody elses? i thought it might be something like that but wasn't sure.

Originally posted by Ed Spruiell

me too. so that would explain why my imac 400 Dv is a tad slower than everybody elses? i thought it might be something like that but wasn't sure.

I dunno....would the network time really matter? It only checks a few secs, when you turn on the system, and I suppose, whenver you wake from sleep. Don't think it would make too much of a diff on the test...but hey....any more gflops I can pump out of this thing, would make me happy! :D I suppose jag's quartz extreme will boost my overall performance, dumping most of the redrawing to my videocard....then I can run that fractal test again! *l*

I also use the smc 7004abr router....it's nice, too bad the parallel printing is slow. :(

I hear the new yahoo IM can use webcams....any idea which ones? My brother is using our Intel Pro cam, on his toshiba laptop....

now we see the G4s pull away!! It took near on a minute to load the default settings in Fractal Carbon on my G3 400 (241.7 MFlops)

3.3 Gigaflops aint too shabby for a G4 933!! A super computer is 1 Gigaflop

Bring on the dual 1.25 G4s!! they are supposed to be up around 18 Gigaflops

Originally posted by profx
now we see the G4s pull away!! It took near on a minute to load the default settings in Fractal Carbon on my G3 400 (241.7 MFlops)

3.3 Gigaflops aint too shabby for a G4 933!! A super computer is 1 Gigaflop

Bring on the dual 1.25 G4s!! they are supposed to be up around 18 Gigaflops

They also dropped the price of my comp, by $900can (approx $584us). Argh! it's only 3 months old! *l* (not eligable for the jaguar upgrade - but these are discussions for another thread hehe)

what????? Completely irrelevant! This is a speed test thread not a bitch about the price of my computer thread

29.5 sec, 482.7MFlops

Beuh.......... (But i have a pretty beautiful image ! :) )

G3 iMac 700Mhz, Mac OS 9.2

senne.

We should agree on the "standard" setup to run this program in.

43.3 sec. 329.4 MegaFlops

colorspeed: 10
maximum count: 4096
zoom factor: 2

iBook 500 MHz with 128 RAM.

Back