Tiger bug list. hopefully could be helpful

Saxphile said:
FFor people who had problem with the weather widget:

Go to AccuWeather.com and find your location. Paste the part in the resulting URL after "&zipcode=" onto your widget settings field.

Please clarify. My weather widget works fine for Phoenix if I input my ZIP, but not if I input Phoenix. After "&zipcode=," accuweather.com gives "1" or an "I". What do I do with the 1 or I? Inserting neither "Phoenix 1" nor "Phoenix I" corrects the bad readings.

I've been confused by the weather widget too... it didnt' seem to want to change between towns.

I've just discovered that you have to enter the town name, and then press "enter" before clicking on the "done" button. It then gives a list of similar names and asks you to choose one...

It worked for "phoenix" too! ;)

I'm now impressed again!

The Ghost said:
Please clarify. My weather widget works fine for Phoenix if I input my ZIP, but not if I input Phoenix. After "&zipcode=," accuweather.com gives "1" or an "I". What do I do with the 1 or I? Inserting neither "Phoenix 1" nor "Phoenix I" corrects the bad readings.

Automator Bug (possible user error)

Has anyone done the first tutorial in Automator? The one where it DLs an image from a URL, then makes it sepia and opens in Preview.

The first action (Get current web page) is supposed to retrieve the URL from the FRONT window currently open in Safari. This is not the case for me. In fact, it pulled the BACK window URL. I had to close out all other windows to get it to work. I was able to repeat several times.

I will try again at work to see if it's this machine for some reason.

p.s. Is there an Automator forum here? Will there be? Might be worthwhile.

The Ghost said:

Applewhore has already answered your question, but since this is really helpful for people outside USA (like me), I'll try to make it a little more clear.

If you navigate to your location in AccuWeather (Phoenix, AZ in this case), the url would be http://wwwa.accuweather.com/index-forecast.asp?partner=apple&zipcode=85001&u=1

Obviously you just put in 85001. The u=1 part doesn't seem to be relevant. So how would this be useful for people outside USA? Let's say St. Ann's Bay in Jamaica. How would you search that by name? It would be even more hopeless if AccuWeather didn't use the correct name (as in for some places here in NZ). But if you follow my approach, you'll end up with "CL;JM;ST.%20ANN'S%20BAY;". If you remove the semicolon at the end and paste it in the widget. Voila!

applewhore said:
I'm now impressed again!

Me too--with your discovery. I had inserted both Phoenix Arizona and Phoenix AZ before, but never Phoenix, AZ--which your technique implies is requried. Kudos. ~:)^) Phoenix was #1 on the list; maybe being #1 corresponds to the 1 I found when going to accuweather.com--mentioned above.

Saxphile said:
Applewhore has already answered your question, but since this is really helpful for people outside USA (like me), I'll try to make it a little more clear.

Yes, and thank you. LOL. I had been trying to compare Phoenix, Arizona and Marseille, France because of an upcoming trip. Their temps were showing to be very similar--which couldn't be right. Applewhore helped me with Phoenix. Then, i put in Marseille (in a separate widget), hit return, chose Marseille, France, and ended up with the right results for both. Previously, I have been comparing Phoenix, MD with Marseilles, IL. One could pack the wrong clothes if not careful/knowledgeable with/about our widgets. ~(;^)

The Ghost said:
Dashboard can't figure out the temperatures in Phoenix by name. I have to use my ZIP code. Well, unless it's in the 50s right now. Not!

Also, in Safari, the bottom scroll bar often moves to the right by itself when changing pages. Thus, I am constantly moving it back where it belongs.
Well, it was in the 50's today here in Phoenix, OR.

Maybe you were thinking you were the only Phoenix? Or did you use your state too?

It's a common mistake. I am from San Diego, CA originally, and I found out that there is also a San Diego, TX.

Zip codes probably are the best way to enter your area anyway. I did, and then it does come back and display the city and state.

Hope that helps...

Fred-Leonard said:
Well, it was in the 50's today here in Phoenix, OR.

Maybe you were thinking you were the only Phoenix? Or did you use your state too?

It's a common mistake. I am from San Diego, CA originally, and I found out that there is also a San Diego, TX.

Zip codes probably are the best way to enter your area anyway. I did, and then it does come back and display the city and state.

Hope that helps...

Thanks. No, manually, I had entered Phoenix, Phoenix AZ, and Phoenix Arizona, but they all obviously gave me some other Phoenix. I thought maybe MD. I think Phoenix, Arizona might have worked. But, of course, when I put in my ZIP, all was well.

So much for a bug. User error--specifically lack of knowledge.

I have a PowerBook G4 1.5 Aluminum.
I have a Microsoft G wireless AP/router MN-700.
Everything worked great before Tiger. (I did a clean install 3 times)
I have AppleCare and I called.
Apple now knows of the problem which they acknowledge, but can't fix.
It will NOT get an IP on wireless, or wired.
I have a work XP laptop that works fine.
I had to hard code my IP settings.

Mmh... DHCP works fine for my PB. Works fine for my friend's PB (newest high-end 15" 1.67). So I really dunno what to make of that. Might be a problem with the DHCP-server on the router - connected to something on Tiger. Something that _our_ DHCP-servers do right?

For some reason /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/GraphKit.framework was skipped by the Tiger installer. This meant that Activity Monitor could not launch until I extracted the framework manually from the Essentials package on the install DVD using pax.

Even more problematically, the installer did not recognise my (software) mirrored RAID pair as a valid volume and would not install onto it. Apparently the RAID format has changed. After a bit of man page reading it appeared that the the command line diskutil program should be able to convert the volume to the new format -- but it failed to do so.

Luckily the volume would still boot into Panther, where I chopped it in half and turned it back into a normal one-disk volume, which the Tiger installer then recognised. After Tiger was installed, I spent the next hour and a half rebuilding the mirror (in the new format) and watching spotlight build its index at the same time. The fact that the processes were running concurrently no doubt slowed them both down a lot with the extra disk seeking.

I seem to have come across a strange situation in Mail2. When I attach an image (JPEG or TIFF), it displays fine in the compose window, but then when I send it, the image just shows up as a question mark. The image is attached, shows up in the list of attachments, and if you click on the attachment, it will load and display in whatever application opens that kind of file. But it won't actually display in the mail message; just a question mark.

And, strangely enough, if the recipient is using Thunderbird (haven't tested it against Outlook yet), the image displays just fine, whereas with Mail1 it would not have.

This seems strange, since one of the selling points of the Tiger Mail application is its handling of attached images. There is a setting under the view preference about remote images which I thought might be the problem, but I turned that off without any effect.

Anyone have any ideas? I see the same problem on three different computers, all of which had Tiger installed as an "Archive and Install."

RGrphc2 said:
Signature doesnt "attach" in Mail 2.0 either...most of the bug's i'm seein is that in Mail

Is your signature a graphic? Because here's the freaky part: my signature has two graphical elements, which display fine in either Tiger Mail or Panther Mail. But other attached images don't display. When I send the same e-mail to someone using Thunderbird, the situation is reversed, i.e., the graphics in my signature don't display, but the attached image files do! What up with that?

ericmurphy said:
Is your signature a graphic? Because here's the freaky part: my signature has two graphical elements, which display fine in either Tiger Mail or Panther Mail. But other attached images don't display. When I send the same e-mail to someone using Thunderbird, the situation is reversed, i.e., the graphics in my signature don't display, but the attached image files do! What up with that?

Nope my signature is just

Thank You,
MY NAME

RGrphc2 said:
Nope my signature is just

Thank You,
MY NAME
All my signatures work well in Mail 2. Also it's now even possible to assign various signatures to different accounts (a very useful feature for me).

Anyone having trouble getting attached images to display properly in Mail? They seem to display properly when they were composed in earlier versions of Mail, but not in Mail v. 2. I'd like to know if anyone else can reproduce the problem.

I can't get my signatures (graphics files) to attach in Mail 2.0 either - it's the only part of the move from Entourage that's frustrating me somewhat...

:(

Back